Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

mushykeogh wrote: »
    The current league table on gaa.ie has us above Roscommon?

That's because there's currently 3 teams on 7 points, so points difference applies. If we beat Cavan and Roscommon win too, there'll be 2 teams on 9 points, so its head to head.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

I know it has a good chance of going against us, but I feel head to head is the fairest system when it comes to two teams being level.
    I remember the farcical scenes in Wexford Park back in 2007 when we went into the game 16 points score difference better off. So Wexford had to win by 9 points in order to overtake us and get promoted. They hammered us by 8 yet failed to get promoted on points scored as far as I remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Meath Centre Forward

It's funny ... let's Meath and Roscommon finish level on 9 points, then Roscommon would be promoted.

But let's hypothetically say Cavan won one of the games they lost ... say against Kildare and they finished level on points with Roscommon and Meath, that would have promoted Meath (assuming Meath retain their favourable score difference) even though the Cavan/Kildare game was completely independent of Meath/Roscommon.

Anyway, I'm not arguing I think Meath will have all to do to beat Cavan in Navan. And if we do, then I think head-to-head is a fairer way of deciding who goes up.

I also agree with others. Laois beating Down is a far likelier outcome than Westmeath beating Roscommon. Also don't forget Cavan can still be promoted and will be doing their best to achieve that. I definitely make them favourites after what happened the last time the sides met in Navan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

If we beat Cavan a draw for Laois or Westmeath should be enough for us.

Meath and Cavan draw. Down lose. Roscommon draw. Galway win. 5 teams finish on 8 points . That would suit Meath based on score difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Jampip

Hibbeler wrote: »
    Both teams should technically be able to be promoted plus the local derby element so of course there'll be something to play for.

Didn't expect that Roscommon result today.

Will there be much of a "local derby" element to it? Have Meath many North Meath men on their panel? I can't think of any.

Cavan have very few from East Cavan. James McEnroe and Jack Brady are from Ramor and that's about it.

Alan Clake spoke two years ago about how it was great to beat Meath but he was a Kingscourt man and it'd mean a lot to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

It really doesn't feel like we have any rivalry with Cavan. They are our neighbours alright but that doesnt mean much, maybe in the 40s or 50s we were rivals but nobody I know would consider Cavan a county that they want to beat any more than anyone else.

A general rule I reckon applies is that if you have to explain to someone who your rival is, they aren't really your rival.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

Jampip wrote: »
    Didn't expect that Roscommon result today.

Will there be much of a "local derby" element to it? Have Meath many North Meath men on their panel? I can't think of any.

Cavan have very few from East Cavan. James McEnroe and Jack Brady are from Ramor and that's about it.

Alan Clake spoke two years ago about how it was great to beat Meath but he was a Kingscourt man and it'd mean a lot to them.

Yeah it's been a long time since Meath and Cavan were proper rivals. I'm from North Meath myself and at least in our part of the world we're more concerned about Louth and the Dubs obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭rpurfield

For all we've played Cavan competitively over the last years I wouldn't see them as rivals. However been from East Meath it would be more about the Dubs and Louth for me, I'm sure there's folk up around Oldcastle and Kells would be more exercised by Cavan than someone from my neck of the woods or in South Meath!

We used to have a Cavan lad visit this thread a lot who tried to convince us we were rivals. No one bought it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

It was great to get the win on Saturday night. Gillespie's return is a huge positive. Menton certainly steadied the ship in the second half and his goal was crucial. Leaving the game I would have still given motm to Gillespie and was a little surprised that Meanton got it just having been on for the 2nd half.
    Anyone know the story with Kevin Reilly? He seemed to pull up at half time and didnt play the second half.

Overall, I am struggling to say where we really are at the moment. With a full squad we are going in the right direction. However, we seem to have regressed up front and our ability to take scrores from play and frees has gone backwards. Stephen Bray, at 35?, is still our main forward. Mickey Newman is in poor form and confidence looks low. We always prided ourselves in our teams for having natural forwards that could take scores. Eamonn Wallace has done well since he returned but he is a different type of player as is Joey (who did well in the few minutes he was on on Saturday).
    Mark O'Sullivan did pretty well on Saturday until he visibly tired in the second half. I am just not sure if he is at the level to take the mantle of main free taker in the championship. But perhaps, he is the best option that we have at the moment.

If we can win on Sunday it will have been a decent league campaign albeit with a couple of mini disasters. Whether we get promoted or not depends on others so I think the real focus now is the championship and identifying the best team for the Leinster campaign.

If we are injury free, I think we will make the final and give a good account for ourselves. Its hard to see us beating the Dubs for a couple of years yet though, by all accounts, they have started playing a more defensive strategy so you never know. To go anywhere we need more consistency up front.

CAVAN: A O’Mara; O Minagh, K Brady, J McEnroe; D O’Reilly, A Clarke, J Hayes; T Corr, G McKiernan; C Mackey, M Reilly, M McKeever; J Brady, N McDermott, D Givney. Subs: F Flanagan for Hayes (25), B Reilly for M Reilly (62), K Meehan for McKeever (65), D McKiernan for Corr (67), N Murray for J Brady (70).

MEATH: P O’Rourke; D Keogan, B Menton, S Curran; C Lenehan, E Harrington, D Dalton; C Gillespie, B Meade; S Crosby, P Gilsenan, P Byrne; B Farrell, G Reilly, M Newman. Subs: K Reilly for Meade for Meade, D Larkin for Crosby, C Ward for Gilsenan (all ht), J Sheridan for Farrell (56).

Teams from two years ago above. I'm a new user so can't post a link to the match report. I'd expect seven of the Cavan starting 15 from that night to start on Saturday evening (McEnroe, O'Reilly, Corr, McKiernan, Mackey, Reilly, McDermott). Fergal Flanagan who came on as a sub will also start. How will the Meath team on Sunday evening compare to that of two years ago?

CAVAN: A O’Mara; O Minagh, K Brady, J McEnroe; D O’Reilly, A Clarke, J Hayes; T Corr, G McKiernan; C Mackey, M Reilly, M McKeever; J Brady, N McDermott, D Givney. Subs: F Flanagan for Hayes (25), B Reilly for M Reilly (62), K Meehan for McKeever (65), D McKiernan for Corr (67), N Murray for J Brady (70).

MEATH: P O’Rourke; D Keogan, B Menton, S Curran; C Lenehan, E Harrington, D Dalton; C Gillespie, B Meade; S Crosby, P Gilsenan, P Byrne; B Farrell, G Reilly, M Newman. Subs: K Reilly for Meade for Meade, D Larkin for Crosby, C Ward for Gilsenan (all ht), J Sheridan for Farrell (56).

Teams from two years ago above. I'm a new user so can't post a link to the match report. I'd expect seven of the Cavan starting 15 from that night to start on Saturday evening (McEnroe, O'Reilly, Corr, McKiernan, Mackey, Reilly, McDermott). Fergal Flanagan who came on as a sub will also start. How will the Meath team Saturday evening compare to that of two years ago?
    O'Rourke, Keogan, Gillespie and Graham Reilly will definitely start. Newman, Menton and Kevin Reilly are possibilities depending on form (in the case of Newman) and injury (in the case of Reilly and Menton). Dalton is also a possibility though he didn't have a great game after coming on against Down. I would like to see Curran at corner but I think he's made himself unavailable after not being a regular starter last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

iDave wrote: »
    We used to have a Cavan lad visit this thread a lot who tried to convince us we were rivals. No one bought it though.

Wasn't that because ye used to stone the Cavan buses in Kells everytime we got to Croke Park. That's why the motorway was built and Kells was bypassed I heard of a lad in the pub - must be true so. :D

Tom Joad wrote: »
    everytime we got to Croke Park.

you mean that one time :P

There was a bit of history there but not in the current Cavan panel. The team from the 90s probably had a bit of rivalry with Meath due to the number of Cuchulainns, Kingscourt and Ramor players in the squad. There was also some good rivalry in the 80s I think.

Meath haven't beat Cavan in the championship in near 70 years but that's because we've only played twice (1952 and 2005) in that period.

We did end Sean Boylan though! :D:D:D

We did end Sean Boylan though! :D:D:D

Sean Boylan had been a lame duck for 2-3 years previous. You finished him off, didn't end him.

Sean Boylan had been a lame duck for 2-3 years previous. You finished him off, didn't end him.

The annals of time will forever record that his last game was a loss to Cavan :D

In fairness to Boylan, I think that the well ran dry in terms of talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

I'm from that end of Cavan and the catchment area for out National school went both sides of the border and the rivalry was intense to say the least. The school was probably 60/40 Cavan/Meath and we used to have great Meath v Cavan matches at lunchtime - we just kicked lumps of each other and there was no rules.

Unfortunately for us Cavan lads Meath were at the height of their powers and Cavan were at one of their lowest points. It didn't help that Brian Stafford used to bring Sam into the school on a regular basis - it was all too much for us Cavan lads!

There were a few lads that played for Meath and Cavan back in the day which all added to the rivalry - I think Victor Sherlock won all-Irelands for both counties. Ray Cuningham who scored the winner in the 97 Ulster final was a Meath man (in fairness to him he did kick it wide :D).

I don't think the rivalry means that much to people outside the border areas of east Cavan to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Thinking ahead to the championship, Meath Wicklow is down for Sunday June 14th with time not yet confirmed.

Is it certain to go ahead that day or is it possible that it will be brought forward to June 13th?

• Advertisement

dixiefly wrote: »
    Thinking ahead to the championship, Meath Wicklow is down for Sunday June 14th with time not yet confirmed.

Is it certain to go ahead that day or is it possible that it will be brought forward to June 13th?
    I would assume that it'll go ahead on the Sunday unless there's a request from the teams for it to be on the Saturday. Can't guarantee it though.

Seems as though the county board are going all out promoting the game on Sunday. Competition for free tickets and all U16 club teams can get in for free. Could be quite an atmosphere as I can see Cavan bringing a fair amount to it. Don't forget to get the tickets in Super Valu beforehand to avoid the queues.7

Also, the hurlers are in action in the Division 2B final on Saturday in Mullingar. Third final in four years so hopefully it's third time lucky.

I would assume that it'll go ahead on the Sunday unless there's a request from the teams for it to be on the Saturday. Can't guarantee it though.

Seems as though the county board are going all out promoting the game on Sunday. Competition for free tickets and all U16 club teams can get in for free. Could be quite an atmosphere as I can see Cavan bringing a fair amount to it. Don't forget to get the tickets in Super Valu beforehand to avoid the queues.7

Also, the hurlers are in action in the Division 2B final on Saturday in Mullingar. Third final in four years so hopefully it's third time lucky.

I don't know if Cavan will bring a big crowd to be honest. Only 2,500-3,000 people attending home games in Breffni at the minute.

The county is split over Terry Hyland. Alot of people unhappy with the amount of departures of high profile players from the panel and the style of play.

Meath team to play Kildare: Charlie Bird; Cormac Reilly, Shane Brennan, Neil McLoughlin; Keith Keoghan, Damien Healy (C), Padraig Keogh; Shane Whitty, James Toher, Stephen Morris, Gary Kelly, Alan Douglas, Jack Regan, Michael Dunne, Willie McGrath.

Throw in is at 3pm tomorrow in Mullingar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭HighKing33

Just looking at tomorrows line-up and am fairly disappointed by that starting XV - we might be looking at posting a big score to ensure promotion and instead Mick O'Dowd names a very conservative team.

Our half-back line is just not creative enough. Keogan is a fine defender but doesn't offer much going forward and our wing-backs are runners. Both Power and Keogan are better suited to the full-back line. McEntee by contrast is a really bright, inventive footballer, a natural half-forward.

Will Shane O'Rourke be a starter this summer? If so, give him game time, presumably at 14 and actually work on our kicking.

I don't mean to be overly negative but it is just depressing to watch a Meath team play this kind of football. Maybe management is under pressure this year and has looked to play it safe and keep the ball in hand but it's sad to see Meath football come to this. We are basically a copy and paste of McGuinness' Donegal team but at least they worked the long ball as a plan B. Really that should be Meath's plan A.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Why would a big score even matter to Meath? Ye need Roscommon or Down to drop points, it's unlikely to come down to points difference particularly for Meath. You need to have the same amount of points as Down (you win on head-to-head) or more than a Roscommon (because you lose on head-to-head). Only with draws could points difference come into it.

A conservative line-up seems entirely appropriate in those circumstances.

HighKing33 wrote: »
    Just looking at tomorrows line-up and am fairly disappointed by that starting XV - we might be looking at posting a big score to ensure promotion and instead Mick O'Dowd names a very conservative team.

Our half-back line is just not creative enough. Keogan is a fine defender but doesn't offer much going forward and our wing-backs are runners. Both Power and Keogan are better suited to the full-back line. McEntee by contrast is a really bright, inventive footballer, a natural half-forward.

Will Shane O'Rourke be a starter this summer? If so, give him game time, presumably at 14 and actually work on our kicking.

I don't mean to be overly negative but it is just depressing to watch a Meath team play this kind of football. Maybe management is under pressure this year and has looked to play it safe and keep the ball in hand but it's sad to see Meath football come to this. We are basically a copy and paste of McGuinness' Donegal team but at least they worked the long ball as a plan B. Really that should be Meath's plan A.

It's more than likely going to be determined on head to head rather than a scoring difference, we need to get out and win the match first and foremost, for it to come to scoring difference you're looking at ourselves and Roscommon winning and Down drawing!

I say give the team a chance and not be on their back before the match has started

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭HighKing33

Syferus wrote: »
    Why would a big score even matter to Meath?

Only with draws could points difference come into it.

A conservative line-up seems entirely appropriate in those circumstances.

Teams could draw. But the main point I was making concerned our brand of football. We're three years into this project and we're playing rugby league football. As a Meath man and a lover of the game I can't accept that happily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Meath Centre Forward

I didn't make the Roscommon or Down games but attended the other four. I am struggling to see the argument about Meath's brand of football. The most important thing would be for Meath to win games.

I am guessing that one of the half-backs will go back in the corner, Menton will go back into the backs and James McEntee will take Menton's spot in the half-forward line. Would that seem obvious to anyone else?

Also don't see why some supporters get so bogged down about positions. Positions are not as important as say ten years ago. I wouldn't be overly fussed about how the six backs line out. They are all going to be given a man to mark.

Also would you really have O'Rourke at 14 instead of Bray? The first player I'd put on any Meath team would be Bray. And for that matter the second would be Menton on current form. So it's great to have both back for this one. O'Rourke is a decent player off the bench if we need him.

Hurlers lost their third 2B semi final in four years. 22 points to 17 against Kildare.

• Advertisement

I didn't make the Roscommon or Down games but attended the other four. I am struggling to see the argument about Meath's brand of football. The most important thing would be for Meath to win games.

I am guessing that one of the half-backs will go back in the corner, Menton will go back into the backs and James McEntee will take Menton's spot in the half-forward line. Would that seem obvious to anyone else?

Also don't see why some supporters get so bogged down about positions. Positions are not as important as say ten years ago. I wouldn't be overly fussed about how the six backs line out. They are all going to be given a man to mark.

Also would you really have O'Rourke at 14 instead of Bray? The first player I'd put on any Meath team would be Bray. And for that matter the second would be Menton on current form. So it's great to have both back for this one. O'Rourke is a decent player off the bench if we need him.

If your starting O'Rourke full forward is the only place I'd play him, I don't think he has the mobility for midfield the way the game is gone. If we did have him in there I'd be starting Stephen Bray in the corner then. He's still our best forward despite his age, and his experience would be invaluable.

Advertisement