Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seeking sponsorship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

You're completely off your rocker, but you need to be nowadays to engage in any sort of fundraising activity tbh :p

Seriously though, never mind letters, I presume you're going to be running your dancing school in the local community so keep it local. Arrange face to face meetings with potential local business people whom you'd like to get sponsorship from, hit up a local celebrity or two, get as much support from the community as you can and organise some fundraising events like dancing displays in shopping centres and so on.

One thing I've noted when I do fundraising is that people always give generously as long as you're not shoving a bucket under their nose or trying to guilt trip them into giving. The more enthusiastic you are about your idea, the more enthusiastic people will be to support you.

Best of luck with it btw :)

Having been one of those local businesses that got hit for sponsorship ALL the time, I can tell you, they are pee'd off with people looking for something for nothing, then spending their cash in someone elses establishment.

Glad I am no longer involved in this, as it always causes people to get pee'd off when you have to say no.

Local businesses do not have the resources that the local supermarket has, so hit up Tesco and Dunnes Stores etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭MathDebater

Have you applied for a grant from the Arts Council, Wicklow county council or from the Marie Duffy foundation?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,334 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

suelaw wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Maybe if I could get the company logo into the booklets for the bigger competitions then I might have a good case. Cheers

They only save at 12.5% though so it is probably not going to be much of a persuasive argument

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭suelaw

Tugboats wrote: »
    Agree but at intermediate and higher level it is and thats what your training them to get to. The industry is rotten to the core

You do have a point, I've seen what your talking about, but it certainly won't be happening for my dancers. I competed up until last year and certainly wasn't in any way pageant material. I've always been in Irish dancing for the love of dancing, and certainly not to be a contestant in a pageant. Yes wen girls get older they'll wear make up but certainly not ott in any way. That's just girls being girls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Bikini car wash.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Sorry but I honestly don't see you getting sponsorship for such a small class who are competing and getting podium places. Myself and my brothers did ballroom dancing for years, all multiple time national champions (youngest was in the top 12 amateurs in the world at one point) and there certainly wasn't any for us, simply because there's no return on it for anybody sponsoring you. Small companies can't afford it, and for big companies it's a waste of money since the audience the ads would reach is so small.

NSAman wrote: »
    Having been one of those local businesses that got hit for sponsorship ALL the time, I can tell you, they are pee'd off with people looking for something for nothing, then spending their cash in someone elses establishment.

Glad I am no longer involved in this, as it always causes people to get pee'd off when you have to say no.

Local businesses do not have the resources that the local supermarket has, so hit up Tesco and Dunnes Stores etc.

Thanks for that. Maybe I won't be going to the local businesses at all so.

Have you applied for a grant from the Arts Council, Wicklow county council or from the Marie Duffy foundation?

I'll look into this for sure. Thanks

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    They only save at 12.5% though so it is probably not going to be much of a persuasive argument

There goes my sales pitch so lol

Bikini car wash.

For4 year olds. It's a no

• Advertisement

orestes wrote: »
    Sorry but I honestly don't see you getting sponsorship for such a small class who are competing and getting podium places. Myself and my brothers did ballroom dancing for years, all multiple time national champions (youngest was in the top 12 amateurs in the world at one point) and there certainly wasn't any for us, simply because there's no return on it for anybody sponsoring you. Small companies can't afford it, and for big companies it's a waste of money since the audience the ads would reach is so small.

Thanks for the honesty thee. While competing myself, at world level etc I didn't get sponsorship. But from the age of 16 I paid my own way in dance so wasn't a hindrance to my parents. I'll look into the grants mentioned above, hopefully I'll find more information that way. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Tugboats wrote: »
    I won't be sponsoring you. Irish dancing is now all about the sexual exploitation of young girls who are forced to wear fake tan, make up and the skirts are getting shorter. It's no better than the beauty pageants you see in America. You should be ashamed of yourself.

I think you are going a bit far with that statement in this case anyway. I think this is a genuine person trying to instill a love of dancing in children and young adults who otherwise might be hanging around street corners

We will never be standing beside someone who is taking money out to pay for anything. We don't want anyone to feel pressurised into opting into anything. And we certainly wouldn't wat anyone to feel embarrassed that they don't have the money to donate anything, we know what it's like to have no money and that's why we are doing this. If I had the money I'd pay for the stuff myself, as would the dancers but we simply don't. So what's the solution. I say sorry kids I'm not making any money so I'm off, go back to hanging around the roads all day. No, that's certainly not my answer.

You may not want people to feel that way, but your presence will certainly make some people feel obliged or embarrassed into donating. Thats why bag packing works.

I don't think the inevitable result of not doing a bag pack is kids hanging round the streets, and thats the kind of guilting that puts me off funding other peoples hobbies.

It's also not a regular sustainable source of income, so seeking a companies sponsorship is better long term.

lulu1 wrote: »
    I think you are going a bit far with that statement in this case anyway. I think this is a genuine person trying to instill a love of dancing in children and young adults who otherwise might be hanging around street corners

Thanks lulu that's exactly what I'm trying to do. We are in an "underprivileged area" and we are just trying to help these kids out. I never set up my school to be the big I am in the id world (there's enough of them out there) I just want the best for these kids. I set up my class after volunteering at the school my kids attend and teaching kids for a couple of hours a week on my day off. I genuinely want the kids to love it like I do. And they definitely do. I have parents that sometimes can't pay for class and it's always resolved, I certainly don't want a dancer not to attend a class for financial reasons. And all my parents know this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

There will always be bagpackers and people that don't want/too mean to have their bags packed. It's a good way of earning a few quid I wouldn't write it off cos a few here don't like it.

If you can survive the bitterness of AH you'll go far

Candie wrote: »
    You may not want people to feel that way, but your presence will certainly make some people feel obliged or embarrassed into donating. Thats why bag packing works.

I don't think the inevitable result of not doing a bag pack is kids hanging round the streets, and thats the kind of guilting that puts me off funding other peoples hobbies.

It's also not a regular sustainable source of income, so seeking a companies sponsorship is better long term.

Sorry I stated that wrong. Of course not doing the bagpacking won't make them hang around the streets, I mean long term, they are with me 3 times a week, that's 3 evenings that they are not on the street, and once a month we r at a competition for the day supporting each other. That, in my eyes, is much better than hanging around and doing nothing. But I also won't be telling people sob stories so as to guilt them into giving us money, I said above the kids will chit chat while packing or move to a different till if the customer wants that. We are also leaving 25% of the shop clear of bagpacking so in all honesty I think we are being extremely fair and just trying to get a bit of help. I'm sorry but I don't see why that's so wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Why can't ye buy yer own sh*t?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Candie wrote: »

If you don't contribute to their Funfund, these kids will turn to prostitution by the end of the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

If you don't contribute to their Funfund, these kids will turn to prostitution by the end of the week.

They are doomed anyway cos they will be sexed up dancing and abused by paedos

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭moneymad

Hi all, another random question for you. I have started an Irish dancing class and we have successfully fundraised for all costumes, entry fees, registration fees, shoes, t shirts etc. we are from a very NORMAL area and are not fortunate enough to be able to splash the cash, as they say.
    Anyway, how would I get sponsorship for the dance school? Or is this even possible?
    I know many places, pubs, shops etc sponsor football teams so I'm thinking why not sponsor and Irish dance team!
    Am I completely off my rocker or do you guys think such a thing could happen.
    My dancers are extremely hard working and although they are only dancing for a short time they have been very successful in competitions.
    Would anybody be able to pm me a template of a letter I could send to companies for sponsorship, and clearly English isn't my greatest talent lol.
    Sorry for the long post and thanks for any info you can give me.
    Cheers
    Do what the GAA do. Run a weekly draw. Numbers from 1-28. Winner has to get 4 numbers drawn to win. They make a fortune.
    Goodluck with the dance school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Thanks lulu that's exactly what I'm trying to do. We are in an "underprivileged area" and we are just trying to help these kids out. I never set up my school to be the big I am in the id world (there's enough of them out there) I just want the best for these kids. I set up my class after volunteering at the school my kids attend and teaching kids for a couple of hours a week on my day off. I genuinely want the kids to love it like I do. And they definitely do. I have parents that sometimes can't pay for class and it's always resolved, I certainly don't want a dancer not to attend a class for financial reasons. And all my parents know this.

Thats good because as I said in an earlier post my daughter is in a class and I feel I am being taken over just to give an example

Middle of March dance comp 150e

Last weekend 3 day dance comp 10 e each day for dancers and 10e for us to watch.

Two more comps coming up shortly

efb wrote: »
    There will always be bagpackers and people that don't want/too mean to have their bags packed. It's a good way of earning a few quid I wouldn't write it off cos a few here don't like it.

If you can survive the bitterness of AH you'll go far

Thanks efb. I'm surviving alright. Im doing good by kids and passing on a love of dance. Anyone who sees it as anything different have issues of their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

Thats good because as I said in an earlier post my daughter is in a class and I feel I am being taken over just to give an example

Last weekend 3 day dance comp 10 e each day for dancers and 10e for us to watch.

You should try bag packing in Tesco to fund your kids hobby....there's loads of money in it. What if Frada is right like? WHAT IF FRADA IS RIGHT?! :(

:)

Wow lulu that's an awful lot to be dishing out. I'd look closer as to where your money is going. Our comps are 30 max, that's entry and all competitions. Best of luck to your daughter. Ps don't feel like you have to enter all the comps, as a competitor and a parent, I only competed when I had the money too.

I'm going to do that. Thanks a mil Orestes

moneymad wrote: »
    Do what the GAA do. Run a weekly draw. Numbers from 1-28. Winner has to get 4 numbers drawn to win. They make a fortune.
    Goodluck with the dance school.

Cheers for that. Will look into it.
    Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,334 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The difference is that GAA clubs have hundreds of members and represent a town/district

Cheers for that. Will look into it.
    Thanks

Do. It works. Lots of local football teams rely on this funding.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    The difference is that GAA have hundreds of members and represent a town/district
    Even if they make 200 a week from this, it's quite effective.

• Advertisement

moneymad wrote: »
    Even if they make 200 a week from this, it's quite effective.

75-100 a week would be hugely beneficial. I will talk to the fundraiser parents about these ideas. Thanks so much for the help

Advertisement