Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seeking sponsorship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭suelaw

Will that be made clear to contributors and sponsors, that you are deriving an income from it?

Know Irish dancing classes that are a business, yet still do the bag packing, collecting etc. Which is begging as a business.

No money made from fundraising even enters my hands. We have 3 parents that look after the money and we all sit down and work out who gets what and when something gets ordered. Sponsorship will work the same way. I definitely won't be running away with the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭MathDebater

If you have a hall to use why don't you put on a dance recital for the locals, friends and family of the dancers. Sell tickets at fiver a head. Throw in a raffle, sell tea, coffee, some homemade snacks and try and get some local businesses on board to sponsor the event and, or, the dancers.

Should generate the EUR700 you need to keep the show on the road.

Please never do a sponsored bag pack at your local supermarket. I hate being cornered into paying for other peoples hobbies as though they're some sort of charitable endeavour.

I hate club/charity bag packers, they should be banned for putting people in a position where they have to opt out, rather than choose to opt in.

If you have a hall to use why don't you put on a dance recital for the locals, friends and family of the dancers. Sell tickets at fiver a head. Throw in a raffle, sell tea, coffee, some homemade snacks and try and get some local businesses on board to sponsor the event and, or, the dancers.

Should generate the EUR700 you need to keep the show on the road.

Great idea, but when I say hall, it's a community centre room, definitely no room for people to come and see a recital. Great idea though. I will look into the cost of renting a hall out and see what we can come up with. Cheers for that

Candie wrote: »
    Please never do a sponsored bag pack at your local supermarket. I hate being cornered into paying for other peoples hobbies as though they're some sort of charitable endeavour.

I hate club/charity bag packers, they should be banned for putting people in a position where they have to opt out, rather than choose to opt in.

Oh no, don't say that. We are bag packing on Sunday. I have told the kids to ask customers would they like their shopping packed, if they say yes, pack and have a little chat, if the customer says no, just go to a different till and help one of the other dancers. I didn't realise people hate these things. I've encountered loads but prefer to pack my own bags, but I'll always throw my change in the bucket. I assumed this was the norm. We are in trouble now! We were told to leave one till without a dancer and a bucket though so maybe we will be ok

• Advertisement

I kinda agree but still it's not too bad if no wage is being drawn.

As I said, I know a dance school that is a business, and they do the bag packing too. Which is just the height of brass neckery.

I kinda agree but still it's not too bad if no wage is being drawn.

As I said, I know a dance school that is a business, and they do the bag packing too. Which is just the height of brass neckery.

I also know of these dance schools. Plenty of greedy teachers out there, but there's still a lot of teachers I this business for the right reason, the love of dance. There's no better feeling for me, than seeing someone come in front of you with two left feet and seeing them a few weeks later dancing away. That's why I'm doing this anyway

suelaw wrote: »
    Oh no, don't say that. We are bag packing on Sunday. I have told the kids to ask customers would they like their shopping packed, if they say yes, pack and have a little chat, if the customer says no, just go to a different till and help one of the other dancers. I didn't realise people hate these things. I've encountered loads but prefer to pack my own bags, but I'll always throw my change in the bucket. I assumed this was the norm. We are in trouble now! We were told to leave one till without a dancer and a bucket though so maybe we will be ok

I don't know of anyone who welcomes the presence of bag packers. I do know of many who find them an annoyance and something of an obligation. I used to avoid a particular supermarket purely because of the presence of bag packers, and not just because they dump the bleach on the bread.

A dance school isn't a charity. Asking other people to fund hobbies for people they don't know, with nothing in return, is exactly the sort of thing that really irritates me.

Starving babies and sick puppies are one thing, other peoples hobbies are another.

Great idea, but when I say hall, it's a community centre room, definitely no room for people to come and see a recital. Great idea though. I will look into the cost of renting a hall out and see what we can come up with. Cheers for that

A local primary school might let you use their PE hall but I'd imagine insurance would be a bit steep. Worth enquiring about. Could also have a fundraising quiz in one of the local pubs during the week. Pubs are crying out for midweek business and if you could promise the manager fifty plus thirsty punters through the door, they would probably cordon off an area for you and lash out some wings, cocktail sausies, wedges and that jazz for free. Try and get local businesses to donate some prizes for the quiz and the raffle. Twenty blips a team of four and a euro a raffle ticket. Probably wouldn't make the EUR700 but would take a good chunk of it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dr strangelove

Don't forget you'll need to splash out a few more quid for "Irish Dancing: Volume 2 - The Arms"

• Advertisement

I don't know of anyone who welcomes the presence of bag packers. I do know of many who find them an annoyance and something of an obligation. I used to avoid a particular supermarket purely because of the presence of bag packers, and not just because they dump the bleach on the bread.

A dance school isn't a charity. Asking other people to fund hobbies for people they don't know, with nothing in return, is exactly the sort of thing that really irritates me.

Starving babies and sick puppies are one thing, other peoples hobbies are another.

I do see where your coming from. But surely with the country in the state its in, kids taking part in activities is better than hanging around on the roads. I have never felt pressured into donating to any bag packers, whether it be for charity or a football club, I just personally choose to give my loose change in. I wouldn't want anyone to feel pressurised into giving my dancers money. We are. To a charity by any means, but we are definitely a community class. There is nobody gaining a lot from this financially, but the kids are gaining loads. Ps I have warned them how to pack bags, as there's nothing worse than the bleach with the bread lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

I won't be sponsoring you. Irish dancing is now all about the sexual exploitation of young girls who are forced to wear fake tan, make up and the skirts are getting shorter. It's no better than the beauty pageants you see in America. You should be ashamed of yourself.

A local primary school might let you use their PE hall but I'd imagine insurance would be a bit steep. Worth enquiring about. Could also have a fundraising quiz in one of the local pubs during the week. Pubs are crying out for midweek business and if you could promise the manager fifty plus thirsty punters through the door, they would probably cordon off an area for you and lash out some wings, cocktail sausies, wedges and that jazz for free. Try and get local businesses to donate some prizes for the quiz and the raffle. Twenty blips a team of four and a euro a raffle ticket. Probably wouldn't make the EUR700 but would take a good chunk of it in.

I have public liability insurance anyway so I'll call them and see if a recital could be covered. And your right, certainly our local pub would be screaming out for midweek customers. Thanks a mil for all this

Tugboats wrote: »
    I won't be sponsoring you. Irish dancing is now all about the sexual exploitation of young girls who are forced to wear fake tan, make up and the skirts are getting shorter. It's no better than the beauty pageants you see in America. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Plenty of Irish dancing competitions don't allow the younger participants wear make up. Think it's banned actually.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Hate these things aswell. If you insist on doing it will you at least leave a couple of tills where people can avoid you.
    It is one of the big plusses of LIDL and ALDI that they never have bag packers harrassing the customers. In Tesco it is like a plague

I do see where your coming from. But surely with the country in the state its in, kids taking part in activities is better than hanging around on the roads. I have never felt pressured into donating to any bag packers, whether it be for charity or a football club, I just personally choose to give my loose change in. I wouldn't want anyone to feel pressurised into giving my dancers money. We are. To a charity by any means, but we are definitely a community class. There is nobody gaining a lot from this financially, but the kids are gaining loads. Ps I have warned them how to pack bags, as there's nothing worse than the bleach with the bread lol

I walked out of a supermarket with an elderly lady once, and she told me she felt obliged to give some change to the football club 'fundraising'. And then she told me that she'd have to without something to make up the 50p or whatever she gave them. She was embarrassed to give nothing.

Standing beside people while they pay for their goods is intimidating to some people, it's shameful that it's allowed. Charity or donations should be opt in, not opt out. And while I appreciate you feel you're providing a community service, I don't think anyone should be put in a position where they have to purposefully opt out of funding new dance shoes for kids they don't know, when for all you know they can't afford to buy regular shoes for their own.

I'll never understand how it's gotten such a foothold in British and Irish supermarkets.

Wow ur harsh considering you don't know me. I've already said we don't wear wigs and have no plans to. I am a mother of 3 that competed until last year. No way was I ever like a beauty pageant contestant. Maybe you should do your homework on my dance class before comparing me to others. I came on here for advise because I'm trying to look after children that otherwise couldn't dance. Anyone who looks at a little 4 year old dancer and sees anything sexual is the one with the issue. My kids wear skirts tights t shirts and curl their hair. There is no make up, tan, wigs etc in my class.

Plenty of Irish dancing competitions don't allow the younger participants wear make up. Think it's banned actually.

It is banned in my organisation. Thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

There's always one :rolleyes:

There's all sorts of dance classes for both boys and girls to participate in, and I've seen myself the benefits to the local community by having children get involved in activities like this. It doesn't have to cost a fortune or be anything like the American OTT nonsense.

I think you already knew that though, but are simply looking to be mean spirited for the lulz :rolleyes:

Token gesture. Fake tan is still allowed and so is make up for over 10s

• Advertisement

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Hate these things aswell. If you insist on doing it will you at least leave a couple of tills where people can avoid you.
    It is one of the big plusses of LIDL and ALDI that they never have bag packers harrassing the customers. In Tesco it is like a plague

The supermarket we are doing this in has 4 tills and I've already agreed with the supermarket to leave a till clear. It's a local shop and we are so grateful to them for allowing us to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,924 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Thanks for that, some great tips ther, so any local celebs in bray....lol
    Will definitely get onto local businesses, I think I was jumping wwaaayyy out of the box

Katie Taylor, Sinead O Connor, Mary Coughlan

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I walked out of a supermarket with an elderly lady once, and she told me she felt obliged to give some change to the football club 'fundraising'. And then she told me that she'd have to without something to make up the 50p or whatever she gave them. She was embarrassed to give nothing.

Standing beside people while they pay for their goods is intimidating to some people, it's shameful that it's allowed. Charity or donations should be opt in, not opt out. And while I appreciate you feel you're providing a community service, I don't think anyone should be put in a position where they have to purposefully opt out of funding new dance shoes for kids they don't know, when for all you know they can't afford to buy regular shoes for their own.

I'll never understand how it's gotten such a foothold in British and Irish supermarkets.
    We will never be standing beside someone who is taking money out to pay for anything. We don't want anyone to feel pressurised into opting into anything. And we certainly wouldn't wat anyone to feel embarrassed that they don't have the money to donate anything, we know what it's like to have no money and that's why we are doing this. If I had the money I'd pay for the stuff myself, as would the dancers but we simply don't. So what's the solution. I say sorry kids I'm not making any money so I'm off, go back to hanging around the roads all day. No, that's certainly not my answer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The supermarket we are doing this in has 4 tills and I've already agreed with the supermarket to leave a till clear. It's a local shop and we are so grateful to them for allowing us to do this.

To answer your question from earlier a company can get a tax deduction for sponsoring you where it is seen as advertising ie company logo should be present etc. This works well for football teams where they play wearing the logo thereby actually advertising the company and connecting it with the event. It would be a bit of a harder sell where there is no prospect of the company's logo appearing in (say) a newspaper pic of the actual dancing competition so it would be a harder sell should Revenue query the deduction. That said I would would include it as a deduction

Token gesture. Fake tan is still allowed and so is make up for over 10s

Not in my Class it's not. And it certainly isn't at any of the beginner competitions we have been to

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I think the Orion Slave Girls Dance would probably get you sponsorship galore

There's always one :rolleyes:

There's all sorts of dance classes for both boys and girls to participate in, and I've seen myself the benefits to the local community by having children get involved in activities like this. It doesn't have to cost a fortune or be anything like the American OTT nonsense.

I think you already knew that though, but are simply looking to be mean spirited for the lulz :rolleyes:

I still believe I'm doing this for the right reason. Cheers for the back up

Katie Taylor, Sinead O Connor, Mary Coughlan

Thanks joey, poor Katie talor only got a proper club house after she won her titles. Think my school is a long way off that yet. Signed o convos might pay my dancers to be in her next video though

Not in my Class it's not. And it certainly isn't at any of the beginner competitions we have been to

Agree but at intermediate and higher level it is and thats what your training them to get to. The industry is rotten to the core

• Advertisement

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    To answer your question from earlier a company can get a tax deduction for sponsoring you where it is seen as advertising ie company logo should be present etc. This works well for football teams where they play wearing the logo thereby actually advertising the company and connecting it with the event. It would be a bit of a harder sell where there is no prospect of the company's logo appearing in (say) a newspaper pic of the actual dancing competition so it would be a harder sell should Revenue query the deduction. That said I would would include it as a deduction

Thanks for that. Maybe if I could get the company logo into the booklets for the bigger competitions then I might have a good case. Cheers

Advertisement