Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disabled woman mocked by comedian - responds with video

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Well that's your perspective and perhaps that might be the case but I don't know this woman from adam, so I don't know if she's the kind of person to do this. You could also see it as a woman who's had a very rough time in her life explaining this to people and to this gob****e as a way of saying, "I've had a really rough time in my life and I don't need this bullying ****" - she sounds very vulnerable and very human. Perhaps it was a little ill-advised but disgusting is a bit extreme and we don't know her or her motivation for mentioning it.

In fairness to her, she didn't accuse the guy of making fun of sister, just her disability.

No this is typical YT Sympathy click bait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

So No, It has absolutely nothing to do with the other comedian. What a load of tripe introduction, All done to establish a level of sympathy. And don't get me started on the over the top crying.

I want those 3:40 odd seconds of my life back.

Jaysus you seem angrier at her than him - the real dickhead in this scene. That's gas.

No this is typical YT Sympathy click bait.

She's got my sympathy anyway. Horrible prick. His standup was humiliating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Jaysus you seem angrier at her than him - the real dickhead in this scene. That's gas.

Valid opinion, That still does not change the fact it's YT click bait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Well that's your perspective and perhaps that might be the case but I don't know this woman from adam, so I don't know if she's the kind of person to do this. You could also see it as a woman who's had a very rough time in her life explaining this to people and to this gob****e as a way of saying, "I've had a really rough time in my life and I don't need this bullying ****" - she sounds very vulnerable and very human. Perhaps it was a little ill-advised but disgusting is a bit extreme and we don't know her or her motivation for mentioning it.

In fairness to her, she didn't accuse the guy of making fun of sister, just her disability.

She went for the sympathy vote and she may well have achieved it with some people but surely she lost the "poor vulnerable me" card in the last 20 seconds of the video .......... she should have stuck with either the "poor me" persona or the "f*** you Ari" persona in order to at least appear genuinely upset.

• Advertisement

Valid opinion, That still does not change the fact it's YT click bait.

Well what do you think his motivation for getting on stage and saying that "controversial" stuff about a random woman was? People do all kinds of stuff to garner attention on the internet nowadays from posting selfies on Facebook to posting certain kinds of posts on Boards etc. People are more public about their lives and feelings than they ever were and we're all guilty of it. I'd say his motivation and his way of going about getting that attention was more deserving of your ire than hers - it was beyond pathetic.

MadDog76 wrote: »
    She went for the sympathy vote and she may well have achieved it with some people but surely she lost the "poor vulnerable me" card in the last 20 seconds of the video .......... she should have stuck with either the "poor me" persona or the "f*** you Ari" persona in order to at least appear genuinely upset.

Meh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

That still does not change the fact it's YT click bait.

Erm... if by 'YT click bait' you mean something presented in such a way as to attract viewers, then almost every video on YouTube is 'click bait'.

No one puts a video on YouTube and wants as few people as possible to watch it.

Calling something on YouTube 'click bait' seems a tad redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

I don't think the two are mutually exclusive, you can be both vulnerable and defiant!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

If I were in her shoes, I'd have gone a lot further than merely raising my middle finger.

What would you do make another youtube video response?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

She possibly should not have mentioned her past and her sister, but the tears seem genuine - he said some really hurtful stuff, which no doubt upset her to think about.
    There seems to be a trend of lacking empathy on the internet. I know there are times when people are just being whinge-bags and could do with a bit of "Pull yourself together" but I dislike when that gets applied to absolutely anything, including genuine, justified upset. That Ari guy is the person in the wrong here - if it weren't for him, she wouldn't have made that video.

She is fat, she is one-armed, maybe she is annoying, but it's beyond me how that's fodder for a stand-up set.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

How many people when genuinely upset aren't both though? Its by no means uncommon for people who are feeling vulnerable and humiliated to come back with a stand that attempts to make themselves look strong and aggressive rather than weak?
    We are just all to used to listening to spin and people who have pr consultants write their apologies and explanations. Sometimes what's honest is not one bit pretty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

None of what he says seems to have a punchline - he's just attacking a woman for shock value, and to appear 'edgy', though mocking a woman with a disability who isn't around to defend herself is about as 'edgy' as shooting fish in a barrel. It's cruel, witless and unfunny.

Hang on, this is Ari "The Amazing Racist" Shaffir we're talking about, his whole thing is to be as offensive as possible, he's not just scraping the bottom of the barrel, he's scraped clean through and dug 2 miles below the barrel into the earth's crust. Just for anyone who doesn't know him, this is his kinda humour:

I presume someone called Ari Shaffir is Jewish though and it's a dig at anti-semitism?
    Sacha Baron Cohen is Jewish and Borat is anti-semitic.

Links234 wrote: »
    Hang on, this is Ari "The Amazing Racist" Shaffir we're talking about, his whole thing is to be as offensive as possible, he's not just scraping the bottom of the barrel, he's scraped clean through and dug 2 miles below the barrel into the earth's crust. Just for anyone who doesn't know him, this is his kinda humour:

That was funny, one below hilarious.

IMO, if the passers-by are acting too, then yeah it'd be funny, but if not, it's ****ed up. You'd want to have some neck to do that to people who aren't in on it - risk of assault/getting into trouble with the law: high.

IMO, if the passers-by are acting too, then yeah it'd be funny, but if not, it's ****ed up. You'd want to have some neck to do that to people who aren't in on it - risk of assault/getting into trouble with the law: high.

Def acting, would be way funnier if he did it for real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I presume someone called Ari Shaffir is Jewish though and it's a dig at anti-semitism?
    Sacha Baron Cohen is Jewish and Borat is anti-semitic.

Cohen's actually funny though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

A video of hers linked in the comments is mocking some guy about having a small penis. That is pretty much 90% of comedians. Just saying the most antagonistic things you can get away with. She also mentions her arm about 5 times in it so it seems like she likes to make a joke about it. Fair enough she might not like others to joke about it but when you do it yourself you give off the impression you don't mind if others do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭LadyAthame

Free speech is something comedians get paid a lot for these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I don't know who either of these so called comedians are, as far as I can see this Ari Shaffir fella is after ruining his career by randomly picking on a complete stranger who had a ****ed up life, for no reason I can see and the girl completely missed an opportunity to become an internet made famous comedian by doing a whingebag routine online.

If she had any cop on she would have released a video with a carefully thought out roast routine that would endear people to her and say "fair play, she had a ****ed up life, that dude attacked her and she ****ing blew him out of the water - here's my money, I'll go see her now!"

Instead we have an asshole noone likes and a whingebag that noone likes and noone is going to go see either of them and Jimmy Carr is going to make a quip about them and reap the benefits!

Or I could be wrong........who knows. People have short memories.

They could do a routine together and call it Karl Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Hold up there. Jimmy Carr's one liners are alright, and Frankie Boyle is one funny f*cker

Half of what you said about Frankie Boyle is correct ( not the funny bit).

Just my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

All I know is that Dr. Richard Kimble would have no problem chasing and catching her.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It was Lt Gerard doing the chasing.
    Richard Kimble was falsely accused.
    And the one armed man was Fred Johnson in the tv show and Fred Sykes in the movie.
    So now you know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    It was Lt Gerard doing the chasing.
    Richard Kimble was falsely accused.

I suggest you watch the original TV show again, especially season 3.
    Kimble was chasing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

Got to do with what? Her? It's her sister. If horrible things happen to someone you really love, it affects you and it can be really upsetting for you. She's talking about horrible things have happened in her life and I'd say the kidnapping and rape of a sibling would be fairly high up on anyone's list. Strange that even needs explaining tbh.

if the fella brought it up in his act then its relevant. as it stands its just her feeling sorry for herself.

for all you know the fella was assaulted when he was younger causing him to act like a dick

it is totally and absolutely irrelevant in this issue

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

she'd be fcuked if she ever had to take part in one of them comedy roasts...............dont think fake tears and irrelevant facts about family members go down too well

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

nc19 wrote: »
    she'd be fcuked if she ever had to take part in one of them comedy roasts...............dont think fake tears and irrelevant facts about family members go down too well

I genuinely don't get how these "roasts" are classed as mainstream comedy? Insulting people in front of an audience was never going to be on the cutting edge of humour or intelligent comedy.

I understand it obviously appeals to a certain mindset (hey, people don't understand how I think Mrs. Brown is hilarious), but these "comedy roast" efforts seem like nothing more than a pathetic publicity stunt, like you're a nobody until you've been insulted by the cream of American comedians.

Something definitely lost in translation.

Meh!

Good comeback!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Frito wrote: »
    I don't think the two are mutually exclusive, you can be both vulnerable and defiant!

She didn't appear to be either in my opinion, that's the point.

Advertisement