Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disabled woman mocked by comedian - responds with video

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Hold up there. Jimmy Carr's one liners are alright, and Frankie Boyle is one funny f*cker

Ah yeah, its funny when the disabled person is just related to Jordan or something, yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

We have no idea that is true. Again I have an idea that one of them posted something about the other via social media. And being of the opinion everyone knows who they are proceeded to joke about it to an audience outside their small circle of fans.
    Well that (if you're right) is as bad. Bringing a private, personal vendetta into a stand-up set is pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Hold up there. Jimmy Carr's one liners are alright, and Frankie Boyle is one funny f*cker

Jam and marmalade: case closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

We have no idea that is true.

Until we have no idea let's just assume it is true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

conorh91 wrote: »
    How badly did you want to edit this post, when you realised your mistake?

Quite badly. Though at least I didn't sound off an opinion about a video without taking a whole 3½ minutes to watch it.

If I'd done that and made a grammatical error, I would've looked really foolish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

You don't understand how to use a possessive apostrophe either, but the look of it.
    conorh91 wrote: »
    How badly did you want to edit this post, when you realised your mistake?

Now that's funny!!!!!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Quite badly. Though at least I didn't sound off an opinion about a video without taking a whole 3½ minutes to watch it.

If I'd done that and made a grammatical error, I would've looked really foolish.

But the OP was so eloquently put I was able to form an opinion from the information written.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭mark13

Geniass wrote: »
    And it also broke the cardinal sin. Comedians should be funny, and not just get laughs because he makes the audience feel awkward.

There is no cardinal sin of comedy, you just made this crap up.
    Kelly06 wrote: »
    But it wasn't just some people, he attacked an individual because of a disability. Can't be much of a comedian if he has to resort to "jokes" like this.

He didn't "attack" her because of her disability, he is mocking her personality and mentions her disability.
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    It doesnt add to the world, its just another Bill Hicks wannabe who doesn't get it and should probably pack his little wagon up and disappear.

Enough with the Bill Hicks..Hicks had a routine were he summons up the ghost of Jimi Hendrix up to rape Debbie Gibson to death for making pop music - aka phony music for girls and gay people, isn't that just hilarious. Hicks was a Sam Kinison wannabe, who was quite happy ripping off Sam's angry guy presentation for years, he's not the be all and end all of stand-up comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

mark13 wrote: »
    He didn't "attack" her because of her disability, he is mocking her personality and mentions her disability.

As much as I disagree with the reaction of the woman in question, the man didn't just "mention" her disability, he outright used it as a source for his material.

Comedy, satire, however you choose to paint it, insulting people may be what some people consider humour, but as far as I can see it's simply cheap, unintelligent, witless, tasteless remarks that anyone could do.

There's nothing particularly talented about it, and nothing particularly remarkable or admirable about a person who, when given an audience, simply insults people.

Bill Hicks had a hilarious routine were he summons up the ghost of Jimi Hendrix to rape Debbie Gibson to death for making pop music - aka phony music for girls and gay people, it was side-splittingly funny.
    Hicks, in my opinion, was the be all and end all of stand-up comedy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

As much as I disagree with the reaction of the woman in question, the man didn't just "mention" her disability, he outright used it as a source for his material.

Comedy, satire, however you choose to paint it, insulting people may be what some people consider humour, but as far as I can see it's simply cheap, unintelligent, witless, tasteless remarks that anyone could do.

There's nothing particularly talented about it, and nothing particularly remarkable or admirable about a person who, when given an audience, simply insults people.

It's hard to evaluate fully as his set is edited, but he does remark that she's annoying, so annoying and then remarking that she's not that annoying, they just have nothing in common. Oh and she has one arm.

That's not comedy, that's high school bullying.

I can understand her giving him the finger (and she does try and put some humour into it). It's not particularly mature, it's a crudely defiant gesture, but it's not a personal attack. He's the one who comes across poorer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Regarding Frankie Boyle and his inappropriate joke about Jordan and Harvey, that was acceptable because he was mocking the manner in which Katie Price has fed the media machine using her sex life and intellectually disabled son for publicity, often in the same article, sometimes the same paragraph.

This tosser in the OP video is simply abusing another comedian based not on her routine but how she looks and that she has a disability as a result of a road accident.
    That's not humour, its not funny.
    The idea that there are things that are off limits in comedy is a nonsense but there is one thing that's unacceptable for a comic to come out with, that's stuff that just isn't funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Regarding Frankie Boyle and his inappropriate joke about Jordan and Harvey, that was acceptable because he was mocking the manner in which Katie Price has fed the media machine using her sex life and intellectually disabled son for publicity, often in the same article, sometimes the same paragraph.

Was he?

FB:
    ‘Apparently Jordan and Peter Andre are fighting each other over custody of Harvey, well eventually one of them’ll lose and have to keep him. I have a theory that Jordan married a cage fighter cause she needed someone strong enough to stop Harvey from f***ing her.’

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Geniass

mark13 wrote: »
    There is no cardinal sin of comedy, you just made this crap up.

My bad. Think I left you out of the comedy rules update email. I'll send that right now to Mark13@pedant.com :P

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Enda Kenny telling a nigger joke was far more shocking. I am very surprised I only heard of it recently, considering some other incidents I have heard about from known controversial comedians.

Ari Shaffir is a US comedian, who recently recorded a Comedy Central special.

In it, he at one point mentions by full name another comedian, and then proceeds to attack her for being 'fat', 'annoying', and 'one-armed'.

None of what he says seems to have a punchline - he's just attacking a woman for shock value, and to appear 'edgy', though mocking a woman with a disability who isn't around to defend herself is about as 'edgy' as shooting fish in a barrel. It's cruel, witless and unfunny.

The comedian in question is Damienne Merlina.

She recorded a video response here.

I know the internet can be a cesspool of bad taste, but many of the comments on her video are truly beyond the pale.

Here's an example:

Now, I defend Shaffir's right to talk about whatever he wants on stage. But I also defend the right of audiences and comedy club owners to say, "I hope you enjoyed telling that joke, because you won't ever be performing here again".

Freedom of speech is a two-way street.

Just watched the video there ......... she describe's herself as a "fat one-armed comedian" and, to be honest, I did find her quite annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

The idea that there are things that are off limits in comedy is a nonsense but there is one thing that's unacceptable for a comic to come out with, that's stuff that just isn't funny.
    But the majority of comics aren't funny. In my opinion of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Kelly06 wrote: »
    But it wasn't just some people, he attacked an individual because of a disability. Can't be much of a comedian if he has to resort to "jokes" like this.

Yep. Yep times a million. He's not a funny man, even if he was making similar jokes about Hitler. I don't get it, in fact. School playground stuff. He's completely deluded. The sniveling fools in the crowd semi-laughing nervously at him.

The whole monologue is completely ****, not funny at all and the man is a prize arsehole.

"I met a guy last week. *Random fella* was his name. OMG! He was soooooo ugly and had to have part of his head 5 years ago removed because of a tumour!! Haha! He looked sooooo weird! And he was fat! Uh hello! Who ate all the cake!" *awaits nervous laughter from crowd while deluding yourself you're being edgy and just "telling it like it is". :rolleyes:

Prick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

WTF has her sister got to do with this???

nc19 wrote: »
    WTF has her sister got to do with this???

Got to do with what? Her? It's her sister. If horrible things happen to someone you really love, it affects you and it can be really upsetting for you. She's talking about horrible things have happened in her life and I'd say the kidnapping and rape of a sibling would be fairly high up on anyone's list. Strange that even needs explaining tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

His execution of the jokes was pretty lacklustre. The actual concept was also poor as the vast majority of people will have no idea who she is, taking away from the shock value.

Got to do with what? Her? It's her sister. If horrible things happen to someone you really love, it affects you and it can be really upsetting for you. She's talking about horrible things have happened in her life and I'd say the kidnapping and rape of a sibling would be fairly high up on anyone's list. Strange that even needs explaining tbh.

WTF has that got to do with this ?

WTF has that got to do with this ?

Watch and LISTEN to the video.

Watch and LISTEN to the video.

No, Did the first comedian comment on the sister ?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

I don't think Ari Shaffir is funny or that his skit in the OP is anything comical either. But I had to re-quote this
    "Did fatty eat her own arm? You'd think with all that thick skin she could take a joke."
    :D:D

No, Did the first comedian comment on the sister ?

I think you already know the answer to that question, chum.

It seemed to me, from watching and listening to the video, that she was trying to garner a lil extra sympathy by mentioning her sister (which has zero relevance to her current grievance) which I personally found distasteful and maybe even disgusting ......... to use what happened to her sister in this video in this way is quite shocking.

I think you already know the answer to that question, chum.

So No, It has absolutely nothing to do with the other comedian. What a load of tripe introduction, All done to establish a level of sympathy. And don't get me started on the over the top crying.

I want those 3:40 odd seconds of my life back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

I don't know who either of these so called comedians are, as far as I can see this Ari Shaffir fella is after ruining his career by randomly picking on a complete stranger who had a ****ed up life, for no reason I can see and the girl completely missed an opportunity to become an internet made famous comedian by doing a whingebag routine online.

If she had any cop on she would have released a video with a carefully thought out roast routine that would endear people to her and say "fair play, she had a ****ed up life, that dude attacked her and she ****ing blew him out of the water - here's my money, I'll go see her now!"

Instead we have an asshole noone likes and a whingebag that noone likes and noone is going to go see either of them and Jimmy Carr is going to make a quip about them and reap the benefits!

Or I could be wrong........who knows. People have short memories.

• Advertisement

MadDog76 wrote: »
    It seemed to me, from watching and listening to the video, that she was trying to garner a lil extra sympathy by mentioning her sister (which has zero relevance to her current grievance) which I personally found distasteful and maybe even disgusting ......... to use what happened to her sister in this video in this way is quite shocking.

Well that's your perspective and perhaps that might be the case but I don't know this woman from adam, so I don't know if she's the kind of person to do this. You could also see it as a woman who's had a very rough time in her life explaining this to people and to this gob****e as a way of saying, "I've had a really rough time in my life and I don't need this bullying ****" - she sounds very vulnerable and very human. Perhaps it was a little ill-advised but disgusting is a bit extreme and we don't know her or her motivation for mentioning it.

In fairness to her, she didn't accuse the guy of making fun of sister, just her disability.

Advertisement