Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disabled woman mocked by comedian - responds with video

Options
  • 29-03-2015 7:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭

Ari Shaffir is a US comedian, who recently recorded a Comedy Central special.

In it, he at one point mentions by full name another comedian, and then proceeds to attack her for being 'fat', 'annoying', and 'one-armed'.

None of what he says seems to have a punchline - he's just attacking a woman for shock value, and to appear 'edgy', though mocking a woman with a disability who isn't around to defend herself is about as 'edgy' as shooting fish in a barrel. It's cruel, witless and unfunny.

The comedian in question is Damienne Merlina.

She recorded a video response here.

I know the internet can be a cesspool of bad taste, but many of the comments on her video are truly beyond the pale.

Here's an example:
    "Did fatty eat her own arm? You'd think with all that thick skin she could take a joke."
    "Consider a career change (possibly a diet change too)"
    "Some fat retarded bitch got offended by a comedian? What a surprise!"

Now, I defend Shaffir's right to talk about whatever he wants on stage. But I also defend the right of audiences and comedy club owners to say, "I hope you enjoyed telling that joke, because you won't ever be performing here again".

Freedom of speech is a two-way street.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Comedians crossing the line and being offensive to some people the horror.

And no I have not watched the video, I don't do click bait to get view's

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭wupucus

I watched her "Reply" he is right she is fat (so am I ) annoying, and one armed - I cant tell if she smells !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Kelly06

But it wasn't just some people, he attacked an individual because of a disability. Can't be much of a comedian if he has to resort to "jokes" like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

These are mild compared to the likes of Jimmy Carr and Frankie Boyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

He's no Sam Hyde.

• Advertisement

Ruu wrote: »

Who wants to do the Train joke :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Geniass

Comedy aimed at people in power or at those that get their fame from being in the public eye I get, but attacking someone that's pretty anonymous is bizarre.

It didn't seem like anybody in the audience knew her. Seemed like being a dick with a personal vendetta.

And it also broke the cardinal sin. Comedians should be funny, and not just get laughs because he makes the audience feel awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

"My first thought was to challenge him to a roast battle"?

And for all her yak about being a nice person, she two fingers the guy at the end of her video.

One as bad as the other here really. Neither of 'em can claim the right to any moral high ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

Ruu wrote: »

By 'mild' do you mean 'unfunny'?

Because if so, I agree.

Geniass wrote: »
    Comedy aimed at people in power or at those that get their fame from being in the public eye I get, but attacking someone that's pretty anonymous is bizarre.

It didn't seem like anybody in the audience knew her. Seemed like being a dick with a personal vendetta.

And it also broke the cardinal sin. Comedians should be funny, and not just get laughs because he makes the audience feel awkward.

Nah I will go with 2 people that know of each other from social media, Having inflated opinions of themselves thinking everyone knows about them. Pretty simple explanation. Have you ever watched people on YT thinking their the second coming in their small fan base. One probably commented on the others YT channel or twitter or some other nonsense.

• Advertisement

And for all her yak about being a nice person, she two fingers the guy at the end of her video.

One as bad as the other here really. Neither of 'em can claim the right to any moral high ground.

So let me get this straight.
      Ari Shaffir went on television, giving the full name of a person he knew (but the audience didn't), said they were overweight, mocked the fact that they had one arm (and said it's a reason they are unable to properly wash themselves).
      Damienne Merline made a rude gesture where she raised her middle-finger at someone who had insulted her.

And you think these two things are 'as bad as each other'?

Ari Shaffir went on television, giving the full name of a person he knew (but the audience didn't), said they were overweight, mocked the fact that they had one arm (and said it's a reason they are unable to properly wash themselves).
      Damienne Merline made a rude gesture where she raised her middle-finger at someone who had insulted her.

Yes, that's exactly what I said. You have it straight.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Yes, that's exactly what I said. You have it straight.
    One's provoked though, the other is totally unprovoked.
    Not that I'm saying the provoked reaction exactly covered her in glory (it certainly didn't - although only the last few seconds; up to then, there was nothing unreasonable in what she said - difficult to see her upset too) but there is a difference between the two I think.

The guy was being a completely nasty ****, I don't see any other way of looking at it. If it were tongue-in-cheek and she was in on it and they had an understanding etc etc, that would obviously be a very different thing - but it plainly wasn't the case.

And no I have not watched the video, I don't do click bait to get view's

You don't understand how to use a possessive apostrophe either, but the look of it.

You don't understand how to use a possessive apostrophe either, but the look of it.

Why is there going to be a test at the end of the forum ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Seems like a really dick move on his part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Two nobody comedians. Would not be surprised if they manufactured this little storm in a teacup.

One's provoked though, the other is totally unprovoked.
    Not that I'm saying the provoked reaction exactly covered her in glory (it certainly didn't) but there is a difference between the two I think.

Oh for sure, and that's exactly why when I was watching her video response I thought "Fair play to her for not lowering herself to his level"...

Until she did.

And you have no right to throw stones in glass houses. Correcting other people's spelling when for all you know they could be dyslexic.

If you're going to try and claim the moral high ground on an issue, it's best you don't lower your own standards to the same level as the other person in an attempt to humiliate them in an equal fashion.

The woman made her point and I applauded and respected her measured response to another person insulting her, but when she stooped to his level - meh, bad as each other.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Your man seems like a complete prick tbh
    His "humour" is unintelligent and, worse still, unfunny.
    She is right to be upset, having someone name check her out of the blue and abuse her for her disability and weight.
    I'd kinda hoped this kinda thing was limited to English working men's clubs, with assholes like Roy Chubby Brown, but apparently not.

Its one thing to be invites to roast, to insult someone, but this is just bullying and abuse, hiding behind "art" to do it.
    Its not satire, it has no wider social point.
    It doesnt add to the world, its just another Bill Hicks wannabe who doesn't get it and should probably pack his little wagon up and disappear.

To attempt standup is tough, to do it with a disability is downright brave.

And you have no right to throw stones in glass houses. Correcting other people's spelling when for all you know they could be dyslexic.

For all you know I could be dyslexic. It wouldn't change anything.
    The woman made her point and I applauded and respected her measured response to another person insulting her, but when she stooped to his level - meh, bad as each other.

If I were in her shoes, I'd have gone a lot further than merely raising my middle finger.

If I thought you were serious about comparing what she did to what he did, I'd think you were an idiot with no perspective.

That's if I thought you were serious.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Your man seems like a complete prick tbh
    His "humour" is unintelligent and, worse still, unfunny.
    She is right to be upset, having someone name check her out of the blue and abuse her for her disability and weight.
    I'd kinda hoped this kinda thing was limited to English working men's clubs, with assholes like Roy Chubby Brown, but apparently not.

Its one thing to be invites to roast, to insult someone, but this is just bullying and abuse, hiding behind "art" to do it.
    Its not satire, it has no wider social point.
    It doesnt add to the world, its just another Bill Hicks wannabe who doesn't get it and should probably pack his little wagon up and disappear.

To attempt standup is tough, to do it with a disability is downright brave.

Plenty of disabled comedians, Fail to see how that makes one brave ? Problem with comedy is either everything is fair game or nothing is. Once you pander to one group another will pop up wanting the same. Comedy can split a room in one joke.

What you find funny I may not, What you find offensive I may not. It's all subjective.

If I were in her shoes, I'd have gone a lot further than merely raising my middle finger.

If I thought you were serious about comparing what she did to what he did, I'd think you were an idiot with no perspective.

If I was you would be mocking a person with a disability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

By 'mild' do you mean 'unfunny'?

Because if so, I agree.

Hold up there. Jimmy Carr's one liners are alright, and Frankie Boyle is one funny f*cker

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

How badly did you want to edit this post, when you realised your mistake?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

I wasn't aware everything or nothing is fair game in comedy. I don't think an unprovoked attack on someone (disabled/fat or not) purely malice-based, not there to defend themselves and who has never been documented as hurting anyone themselves, is fair game in comedy circles.

I wasn't aware everything or nothing is fair game in comedy. I don't think an unprovoked attack on someone (disabled/fat or not) purely malice-based, not there to defend themselves and who has never been documented as hurting anyone themselves, is fair game in comedy circles.

We have no idea that is true. Again I have an idea that one of them posted something about the other via social media. And being of the opinion everyone knows who they are proceeded to joke about it to an audience outside their small circle of fans.

Yes it would, because being dyslexic myself, I hate when someone tries to humiliate me by picking on my spelling and grammar, and I hate seeing someone do it to another person. It's completely unnecessary.

What he said is completely irrelevant when she spent nearly three and a half minutes telling people about her life and how she was a nice person and all the rest of it, and then she went and undid it all by showing that she couldn't even abide by her own standards, much the same as you have done here really.

It's unfortunate really when adults react like that to being insulted, because it leads to people missing their point. Understandable when children behave like that, but adults? Not so much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Can't understand a thing you typed there. Is it English?

Advertisement