Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M8 motorway (general thread)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭FullBeard

cml387 wrote: »
    Just before the northbound exit at J9 is a mock-abandoned house which is an art "installation".

The house is at junction 10 Cahir. I'm talking about junction 9 Cashel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭cargo

Anyone know what the solar panels on the mobile trailers between Urlingford and H&J are for? There's a few on units that look like mobile VMS without the sign part? They are parked up well into the verge and have been there for a while now.

I cant see any other instruments etc on them other than the solar panels. Are they just measuring solar exposure in some sort of survey?

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

Stinicker wrote: »
    I also witnessed some gobsh1te reversing back on the hard shoulder as he had missed the M7-M8 turn off and having made the turn off myself I was like jeez, he is some eejit!

In fairness now that exit is easy to miss.
    It's not like the 2 giant archway signs telling you wahat lane to be in the elecronic sign and the huge road side signs from 4km away are very clearly marked:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

what's the deal with the reduced speed limit before J11 - Cahir - and the sign saying to proceed with extreme caution in wet weather???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭cml387

cjmcork wrote: »
    what's the deal with the reduced speed limit before J11 - Cahir - and the sign saying to proceed with extreme caution in wet weather???

I think the clue is in the sign.

A work colleague hit standing water at this junction during the summer and careered into the concrete central reservation (luckily wrote off car only).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Topaz announced a new motorway services on M8 at Junction 3. Work expected to begin in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭rameire

Planning application details ref: 11331 (Laois County Council)

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

• Registered Users Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭road_high

linny wrote: »

There'll be one at every junction at this rate? One just up the road planned at the next junction in Co. Laois. Sounds like absolutely no joined up thinking between local authorities once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭veryangryman

road_high wrote: »
    There'll be one at every junction at this rate? One just up the road planned at the next junction in Co. Laois. Sounds like absolutely no joined up thinking between local authorities once again.

Demand certainly there, busiest 2 cities in Ireland linked here. Will make money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

AADT on that road far too low to accommodate all of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭veryangryman

AADT on that road far too low to accommodate all of these.

Given the overall distance on the road, I think they will do ok if not pretty good. People cry out for stations online for years and now don't want them all. For the customer this will be brilliant. Competition is a great thing. If one or two fails then still grand as there's loads

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Demand certainly there, busiest 2 cities in Ireland linked here. Will make money

That means nothing when the M8 carriers the same amount of traffic as other motorways. To many of them being planned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I think the clue is in the sign.

A work colleague hit standing water at this junction during the summer and careered into the concrete central reservation (luckily wrote off car only).

Are they going to resolve that ?! Seems pretty lethal if the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 68thedriver

Hello Chris,
    Do you ever be on the M8 and just pass the entry ramp at junction 8 heading southbound there's a sign up on the embankment with three straight arrows indicating a lane gain. Do you know anyone that could get me a close up image of the sign as I'm doing a project on Motorways I'm Living up in the Northwest, so cant get there myself. Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭xabi

Looks like they are closing some of the lay-bys around Cashel, always thought they were a bit dangerous anyway.

xabi wrote: »
    Looks like they are closing some of the lay-bys around Cashel, always thought they were a bit dangerous anyway.

Just to instal wastebins.

I can exactly remember where but there's a large dip in the road somewhere just near-ish to Cashel from Cork like as if it's dramatically sunken !

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    That means nothing when the M8 carriers the same amount of traffic as other motorways. To many of them being planned.

At the end of the day, it's competition. They'll have to out-do each other to survive. That's always how it's been with road-side service on the old N-road system too.

The most innovative will survive.

In some European countries the franchising arrangement ends up with very expensive, bad quality service stations that have near monopolies.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

Whats happeing northbound between mitchelstown and cahire that they need to close the motorway.

• Advertisement

vince wrote: »
    Whats happeing northbound between mitchelstown and cahire that they need to close the motorway.
    Work to eliminate problem of excessive water that gathers on the carriageway and won't run off.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

Work to eliminate problem of excessive water that gathers on the carriageway and won't run off.

It seems to be common recently in Ireland. M8, M18 - drainage issues, M9 some other problems.
    All necessitating closures of motorways no more than a few years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

Geogregor wrote: »
    It seems to be common recently in Ireland. M8, M18 - drainage issues, M9 some other problems.
    All necessitating closures of motorways no more than a few years old.

It looks like its remedial work thats being perfomred on alot of the motorway network.
    Over the last few months various sections of the M7 have been closed/reduced to 1 lane to dig a channel on the side. I think at this stage they must have the full length of it done.
    I have observed this on the M20 and the M4 also.
    As you drive along the motorway take note of a stip of stones on the side about 75cm in width.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

There was a car transporter fire northbound on the M8 on the 4th Feb (last Wednesday). Got it on dashcam coming the other way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=V6WXN2KeSIc#t=73
    HD is better.

They had closed the motorway at J16, and of course there were plenty of cars stacked up behind the fire beyond that. Those vehicles were allowed turn (if they could) and drive the wrong way down the motorway back to J16. That was bizarre to watch. They were also letting people through the toll northbound free of charge, I think, as they were being directed off at J16 straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭niloc1951

There was a car transporter fire northbound on the M8 on the 4th Feb (last Wednesday). Got it on dashcam coming the other way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=V6WXN2KeSIc#t=73
    HD is better.

They had closed the motorway at J16, and of course there were plenty of cars stacked up behind the fire beyond that. Those vehicles were allowed turn (if they could) and drive the wrong way down the motorway back to J16. That was bizarre to watch. They were also letting people through the toll northbound free of charge, I think, as they were being directed off at J16 straight away.

Drove southbound at about 7.45pm, over two hours after the incident started and the queue was still back to within a few hundred metres the toll plaza.

I wondered was traffic allowed to rejoin the M8 at jct 15 free of charge, to relieve the pressure on Fermoy town, though I didn't notice any particular volume of traffic coming up the entrance ramp.

I think sometimes they underestimate just how wet Ireland is in some of the specs for things that are done to some broader European spec.

You need a LOT of drainage here as rain can be heavy and very sustained.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

[QUOTE=Chris_5339762;94205026]Those vehicles were allowed turn (if they could) and drive the wrong way down the motorway back to J16. [/QUOTE]

That's lethal IMO considering the amount of trucks and cars that can't stay in lane normally!

Better solution would be to have removable/openable sections in the centre divide and then just filter traffic through to the correct lanes using cones and traffic management

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    That's lethal IMO considering the amount of trucks and cars that can't stay in lane normally!

There was no oncoming traffic as the motorway was closed at the previous junction. This is fairly normal internationally when a DC is blocked.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Still no sign(!) of DirectRoute updating the signage on the old M8 Fermoy Bypass, no 2km ADS, no Driver Location signs amongst others. Very inconsistant and sticks out now that the whole of the M8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭The Megaphone

marno21 wrote: »
    Still no sign(!) of DirectRoute updating the signage on the old M8 Fermoy Bypass, no 2km ADS, no Driver Location signs amongst others. Very inconsistant and sticks out now that the whole of the M8

DirectRoute only maintain that section of the motorway, the installation of new signs would have to be instructed (and paid for) by the NRA.

Advertisement