Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M8 motorway (general thread)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Tremelo wrote: »
    The two junctions are right on top of each other, so it makes more sense to have an auxiliary lane between them.

Isn't this also where the N74 intersects with the M8. Isn't there one lane which is marked N74?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Jayuu wrote: »
    Isn't this also where the N74 intersects with the M8. Isn't there one lane which is marked N74?

The lane itself has no number markings but the signage does state N74 (on the southbound carriageway).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

...and I've looked very carefully, there is no potential for an M74 existing by a quirk of classification here :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Why are there still cones blocking the overtaking lane both north and southbound at one point between Cashel and Mitchelstown for 'roadworks'? It's been like that for about 6 months, but I've never seen them doing any work on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

fullstop wrote: »
    Why are there still cones blocking the overtaking lane both north and southbound at one point between Cashel and Mitchelstown for 'roadworks'? It's been like that for about 6 months, but I've never seen them doing any work on it.

I completely forgot about this. Iv noticed it every time i go up and down. Its been there ALOT longer than 6 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭rameire

ive always wondered if it was due to standing water.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

rameire wrote: »
    ive always wondered if it was due to standing water.

Don't think so really, never noticed much standing water there. Some parts of that road are a joke for standing water, particularly in and around the Fermoy toll plaza and near Cashel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Hogzy wrote: »
    I completely forgot about this. Iv noticed it every time i go up and down. Its been there ALOT longer than 6 months.

Mr Rennicks must be laughing all the way to the bank as he lodges OUR tax money.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭cml387

fullstop wrote: »

I commented about that here already. We will probably be looking at the years anniversary soon.

A bad week for the M8. Two fatalities, one near Cahir and the other immediately north of the Watergrasshill toll plaza today.

Are these the first fatalities to occur on this motorway?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cahir does not sound like a road accident to me:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0423/man-dies-in-crash-on-m8-in-co-tipperary.html

Single vehicle, ended up in field, dead in truck = was dead before the truck left the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭btb

closed between j11 & 12 from monday 30/4 for repairs

http://www.lcc.ie/Roads/Traffic_Travel/RoadClosures/RD_Closure_M8.htm

more info from tipp south coco

M8 Cashel Mitchelstown Motorway

Road to be Closed: M8 Cashel Mitchelstown Motorway between Junction 11 and Junction 12

Period of Closure: From 8am - 6pm daily from Monday 30th April to Friday 11th May 2012. Northbound carriageway closed for the first week and the southbound for the second week.

Alternative Route: Via the R639 (old N8) Diversion will be in place.

South Tipperary County Council regrets any inconveniences caused for the duration of the works.

Terrific. Between this and the N40 SRR being closed over the Bank Holiday weekend, my trip home will be a total chore.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Amtmann wrote: »
    the N40 SRR being closed over the Bank Holiday weekend,

huh? For how long?

Hogzy wrote: »
    huh? For how long?

Just between Sarsfield and Bandon R'bouts, all weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭SeanW

btb wrote: »
    closed between j11 & 12 from monday 30/4 for repairs

M8 Cashel Mitchelstown Motorway

Road to be Closed: M8 Cashel Mitchelstown Motorway between Junction 11 and Junction 12

Period of Closure: From 8am - 6pm daily from Monday 30th April to Friday 11th May 2012. Northbound carriageway closed for the first week and the southbound for the second week.
    Well f***.

I'm likely to hit that both ways over the next 2 weeks.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I wonder if the closure of the M8 between Cashen and Mitchelstown has anything to do with undetected problems at the construction stage. Wasn't there talk of the embankments settling too quickly?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If they're doing work that only needs a part time possession why on earth are they doing it during the day??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭rameire

Drove south along the m8 from junction 3 and back Again today.
    No cones to be seen at all. Parts of the road were resurfaced where the cones were previously on the southbound and northbound lanes.
    In the bad weather that there was today, there were only two spots that were bad, one was a two meter wide puddle of water before junction 6 I think, and another was where the cones were before, and it was a 15 meter stretch of water, both were southbound. Didn't aquaplane, thankfully.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

A wind turbine has been erected at junction 10 to power the lighting. It's not operational yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Amtmann wrote: »
    A wind turbine has been erected at junction 10 to power the lighting. It's not operational yet.

Is this is a one off thing or is there a strategy to do this at other junctions?

BluntGuy wrote: »
    Is this is a one off thing or is there a strategy to do this at other junctions?

Unsure, Blunt. I think another turbine is being erected at junction 9.

Bad accident last night on the Watergrasshill Bypass southbound, about 1.5km north of J18.

A car left the carriageway at speed and smashed into the grass median, but was stopped by the wire barrier. A close one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭FullBeard

Has anyone noticed the new structure at junction 9? It's either a wind turbine or a piece of modern art :confused:

FullBeard wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed the new structure at junction 9? It's either a wind turbine or a piece of modern art :confused:

Actually there is a piece of modern art and a wind turbine at junction 9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭FullBeard

cml387 wrote: »
    Actually there is a piece of modern art and a wind turbine at junction 9

Junction 9 Cashel? I haven't seen two new structures, just one extremely tall metallic structure that looks like a standing cream beater.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Spotted one of those M50 style "Travel Time" signs near Urlingford the other day going NB. Hope they are going to put Travel Times on it and not "Garda Message - Slow Down" or something like that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Was driving down from the matchs in Croker yesterday evening and saw two cars of Cork supporters pulled into that Garda Use layby which is gated off. There they were at side of a Motorway with cars whizzing by at 150km/h having tea and sandwiches! Highly dangerous and cringe worthy.

I also witnessed some gobsh1te reversing back on the hard shoulder as he had missed the M7-M8 turn off and having made the turn off myself I was like jeez, he is some eejit!

FullBeard wrote: »
    Junction 9 Cashel? I haven't seen two new structures, just one extremely tall metallic structure that looks like a standing cream beater.

Just before the northbound exit at J9 is a mock-abandoned house which is an art "installation".

• Advertisement

Spotted one of those M50 style "Travel Time" signs near Urlingford the other day going NB. Hope they are going to put Travel Times on it and not "Garda Message - Slow Down" or something like that.

There's no cameras installed to track travel times on other motorways than the M50 and M1 (yet anyway).

The VMS rollout is independent of the travel time system.

Advertisement