Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 14/15 Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

stevire wrote: »
    Awful lucky with how the snowpack settled too, seemed to break away quite easily. Surely the first thing to do is get out the beacon? He was preparing shovel before locating. Beacon, probe, shovel that would have been the order I would take

He didn't have a beacon; only the buried guy did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

I think it's fair to say that guy is dead 99 times out of a hundred, and in fairness he knows that. Hopefully people will learn from the video. The problem is when it's just embedded without the blog people just watch it and get the "wow, he survived, what quick thinking" which is unfortunately not the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Seifer wrote: »
    Just booked Val Thoren's for mid April with action-outdoors.co.uk :D

For people that have done the UCPA thing before:

Are there lockers in the dorms? If so do you need to bring a lock?
    Are towels provided or should I bring my own?

No locks on the lockers, nobody in our room has bothered getting ones tho ha. No towel, defo bring your own. Also slightly bizarre, bring your own mug unless you want to drink coffee out of a bowel ha, it's a French thing I'm told.

But anyways getting on great here, I'd recommend it to anyone, good few other solo travellers here also, everyone in the same boat. Plus very cheap, you'd never get a trip to tignes/VDI this cheap anywhere else.

And after the best day skiing every yday, during the 2nd or 3rd run this morning I twisted my knee bad enough on a slow narrow but very slushy blue. Plenty of painkillers now, hopefully will be back out later or tomorrow at least...

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

Timmaay wrote: »
    And after the best day skiing every yday, during the 2nd or 3rd run this morning I twisted my knee bad enough on a slow narrow but very slushy blue. Plenty of painkillers now, hopefully will be back out later or tomorrow at least...

hard luck - ski sweets are life savers!

but you can tell us if you actually did it dancing on a table

• Advertisement

Ah boo! Cheer us all up by telling us why yesterday was so good?

a148pro wrote: »
    Ah boo! Cheer us all up by telling us why yesterday was so good?

Plenty anti inflammatories and rubbing some arnica cream has helped bring a hung bruise to the surface and bring down the swelling! Got out today but took it easier, hit the 2 snow parks and the biggest f*ck off 1/2 pipe I've ever been in today, I was happy to make it down them in one piece ha, some of the tricks others were pulling were insane! But anyways Monday was epic just because of the huge number of really fun red runs and was the best I've ever skied. Have been skiing 4 days now and say I've barely hit 1/3 the runs in this place, it's huge!

Brilliant! 3V recently confirmed as the actual largest ski resort in the world I think. I have fond memories of abandoning my meandering companions one day there, sticking on the headphones and just absolutely blemming it around the place for a full day, one of the best days on skis in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

I have still never skiied with music- even though I have a funky helmet with a built in sound system. It's on my to-do list, but I'm afraid I'd have sensory overload haha ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

fannymagee wrote: »
    I have still never skiied with music- even though I have a funky helmet with a built in sound system. It's on my to-do list, but I'm afraid I'd have sensory overload haha ;-)

I was the same but did it on my last day in Hintertux. I was singing radiohead like a complete muppet down some made off piste. Last day and I just didn't care. Didn't have the music very loud. It kind of distracted me from how steep it was.

• Advertisement

I don't usually do headphones for running or any other sports, but there is nothing better than a mix of chill out and some good dance tunes on the slopes, really gets you in the zone.

I don't usually do headphones for running or any other sports, but there is nothing better than a mix of chill out and some good dance tunes on the slopes, really gets you in the zone.

Absolutely - Mylo's essential mix from 2005 was in my ears that day, like a kind of slightly more sophisticated fitness class soundtrack. Recently caught the last lift to the top in Cervinia and skied all the way to the bottom, a fairly long descent, on empty slopes with the sun setting on the Matterhorn listening to Apparat's Summer of 87 podcast, which is basically a slightly chilled out slightly ecstatic mix. Was an unbelievable experience, tore the **** out of the pistes.

Fanny get on it - it seriously increases your skiing ability!

I'm generally a fan of one earphone in so I can still hear what's around me - music genre varies quite a bit

Anyone else think a patent for single ear earphones will make me a millionaire?

granty1987 wrote: »
    I'm generally a fan of one earphone in so I can still hear what's around me - music genre varies quite a bit

Or imagine if you could just... control the volume....

Oh, wait ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Brilliant! 3V recently confirmed as the actual largest ski resort in the world I think. I have fond memories of abandoning my meandering companions one day there, sticking on the headphones and just absolutely blemming it around the place for a full day, one of the best days on skis in my life.

I love the 3v, and when I'm there I do the exact same thing as you, just pick a direction and head off, hours later you'll be still heading that same direction. The place is massive. Finding my way back can get confusing though as I don't carry piste maps. :confused:

My trips to Les Arcs andChamonix just copperfastened my love for 3v.

When I become a .ie billionaire I'm going to buy Abramovich's gaff in Courchevel, whether he likes it or not.

cormee wrote: »

When I become a .ie billionaire I'm going to buy Abramovich's gaff in Courchevel, whether he likes it or not.

I'm gonna buy Berger's gaff on the Salvenmoos in Soll. Nothing like three million beginner kids on your doorstep every morning haha ;-)

I'd find that more distracting than having both earphones in, would probably end up boarding in a circle, 12' diameter.

I have the a Smith Variance helmet, with the Skull Kandy drop in "audio system" (read: headphone speakers) that go into the ear pads, it's great quality and you can hear everything around you.

fannymagee wrote: »
    I'm gonna buy Berger's gaff on the Salvenmoos in Soll. Nothing like three million beginner kids on your doorstep every morning haha ;-)

You'd have to get yourself a big fur coat too, and a crown to go on your ski helmet. Also, a high-speed piste basher driving in front of you to clear the piste of peasants.

Lawdy God!

Haha in fairness to Berger he generally stays off-piste- no bashing required. That said, I wouldn't say no to a helmet-crown and a (faux) fur coat. With a bikini underneath, á la his usual entourage. I wouldn't have the patience for my own gondel though. It'd be a helicopter or nothing ;-)

who is this Berger you speak of?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

who is this Berger you speak of?

Gerry The go kart driver :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Before the season ends and forum dies down I have a couple of questions!! Planning a 4-6 week trip next year, getting the Snow Card - potentially driving over, if not, flying.

Where would I look for accommodation (hotel/guesthouse would be too expensive)? And what would be the average price?

Thanks!

what is the Snow Card out of interest?

I'm no F1 fan, I just know that occasionally the OH goes out ski-gallivanting with him and it tends to get messy. Bones get broken, grown men get carried home etc. Luckily he is there in a professional capacity, so only one of the broken bones have been his (so far) ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

what is the Snow Card out of interest?

For 6-700e you get access to a wide range of resorts in the Tirol region of Austria. Extensive list of places, so a great way of visiting other resorts if you have the time:

http://www.snowcard.tirol.at/
    http://www.skiwelt.at/en/tirol-snow-card.html

Usually an early bird offer around October for these ski passes

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

stevire wrote: »
    For 6-700e you get access to a wide range of resorts in the Tirol region of Austria. Extensive list of places, so a great way of visiting other resorts if you have the time:

http://www.snowcard.tirol.at/
    http://www.skiwelt.at/en/tirol-snow-card.html

Usually an early bird offer around October for these ski passes

I did it this year. 717 for the card. Valid from October to middle of May. No early bird price. They have no problem selling them and probably would prefer not to. I did a week for New Years in Soll for a laugh and stayed 4 weeks in an apartment in Mayrhofen. 5 weeks in multiple resorts paid for the card if most 6 day passes cost around €200. Getting the time off work is a problem and accommodation isn't cheap unless there's a good group of you. You just have to get along with that group in close quarters for a length of time. We rented a car in Munich.

Gerhard Berger? Jaysus, how did he come to feature on an Irish skiing forum?

My fault (of course haha) :)

AND snowboarding :D

I had assumed 'Berger' was a football player!

• Advertisement

Last day :( but had an unbelievable last hr of skiing, gunning it down a few reds, and plenty of booze on the ready now!

Advertisement