Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 14/15 Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭sallymomo

Heading to Limone again this day next week, cant wait.
    Nice top up yesterday & last night so I went onto website to see the fresh stuff (sad, I know)
    Anyway, looks like the temperature will be up to 18 degrees the day before I get there!! Yep, thats celsius...

Dear snow, please hold on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

In terms of goggles what is the pecking order of brands and quality? What should one be looking out for to help in overcast conditions when the snow just looks like a featureless white/grey surface. I have a feeling goggle companies would sell me a pair for every day of the week :pac:

I'm strongly considering boots too but would prob go to a bricks and mortar store and try on loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

off to innsbruck (stubai) tomorrow for a powder dash (two days).
    savage snow coming down, lets hope for a clearance.

Boarding but been a while since I was up there....

Flight tomorrow morning 6:50 am, should be on the slopes by 1pm.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

Vegeta wrote: »
    In terms of goggles what is the pecking order of brands and quality? What should one be looking out for to help in overcast conditions when the snow just looks like a featureless white/grey surface. I have a feeling goggle companies would sell me a pair for every day of the week :pac:

I'm strongly considering boots too but would prob go to a bricks and mortar store and try on loads.

With out a doubt go to a shop for boots. There's so many lacing systems and different tech in each brand that'll you'll spend forever trying to find the right pair.

With goggles there's loads to chose from. I often wonder if there's really any difference between the brands. I have the latest Oakley prizm rose lens which is supposed to be for snow and overcast days. I think Oakley and I disagree what overcast means. In sunny/partially cloudy days they are incredible. Cloudy or low light they suck. Weather today is cloudy, poor visibility and snowing most of the day. I've spent most of it on the couch. Yesterday was the same but I went for a look about. Not a lot of fun but I don't like missing many days off the snow. The lens to generally go for is either yellow, orange or in Oakleys case rose. You've probably got plenty of time to research online before your next trip and there will be end of season sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

I got CLK goggles by Dye Snow for Christmas. They came with three lenses which I thought might be a bit gimmicky but I'm completely sold after last week. On the two days where we actually saw the sun; the dark, polarized lenses eliminated the glare of the snow. On the other four days where visibility was very poor the much more transparent orange tinted lenses allowed for definition in the snow that was a good as you were going to get.

I think they were picked up in TK MAXX so I don't believe the price was anywhere near what's on the website linked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

Vegeta wrote: »

Whatever you get, I'd recommend getting 2 lenses. Some brands give second lens with their goggles - I know VonZipper do and that's the main reason I bought mine (well that and the 40% off warehouse clearance sale I was at). I think dragon do with some of their goggles, but can't be sure. Get a yellow lens for low light, it's unbelievably useful, and then a darker or mirrored lens for bright days.

Oakleys can get pricey, even the extra lenses are getting up there in prices. I've heard mixed reports about the Oakley rose lens (as mentioned above).

Some brands to look out for. By no means extensive, but just decent brands off the top of my head.
    Oakley
    Dragon
    VonZipper
    Smith
    Spy
    Bolle
    Anon
    Electric
    Ashbury (pretty new I think, but look ok)
    Airblaster (brand seems to be gaining momentum)

I'd happily wear any of the above brands if the price was right, although I've mentioned here before that I'm not fussy on my gear, and generally buy what's on sale, which hasn't failed me yet. I also have access to a once a year warehouse clearance sale over here, which helps! Scour the online shops for clearance or outlet stuff.

When buying boots, depending on what time of year you are shopping, you can get some great deals on previous season's gear. Generally the start or end of the season is the best, but it obviously depends where you are, as buying in the shop would be highly, highly recommended!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

I've always used my spy googles (not the x-ray variety) for low/flat light. I have a pair of really swiss looking sun glasses with a head strap that I use for bluebird days..

As a boarder, I have always preferred wearing shades on nice days, skiiers have this right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

I've always used my spy googles (not the x-ray variety) for low/flat light. I have a pair of really swiss looking sun glasses with a head strap that I use for bluebird days..

As a boarder, I have always preferred wearing shades on nice days, skiiers have this right.

WTF are Swiss looking sunglasses?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Just back from Chamonix, conditions were great, the sun was shining and the snow was very nice. Brevent was choppy as hell - as usual, Les Grand Montets were great, and Les Tours was, as always, very nice. We also ventured over to Courmayeur for a day, although it's a small ski area it's very well groomed and there are some great runs, especially Youla. Something that I was told that was typical for Italian ski resorts is, from about 1pm, when they stop for lunch for the rest of the afternoon, the pistes were almost empty, Italians seem to stop for the day at lunchtime, that made for some great fun on the slopes.

The one thing that does my head in about Chamonix is the travel time to get to the different ski areas, you can be waiting for a bus for half an hour, followed by a 30 minute packed bus trip, then another 10-15 minutes in lifts getting to a point you can begin boarding/skiing. That can be stressful. But overall it was a far better trip than my earlier one to Les Arcs.

11 months to my next trip.

• Advertisement

cormee wrote: »

The one thing that does my head in about Chamonix is the travel time to get to the different ski areas, you can be waiting for a bus for half an hour, followed by a 30 minute packed bus trip, then another 10-15 minutes in lifts getting to a point you can begin boarding/skiing. That can be stressful. But overall it was a far better trip than my earlier one to Les Arcs.

11 months to my next trip.

I know a really great place in Austria..... ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭karl83

Over 1.5 meters of snow due in Val D'Isére this weekend.. Flying back out Tuesday morning. Smiley face.

Love a bit of fresh snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Brilliant! Enjoy lads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Made for this occasion....

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭karl83

Love a bit of fresh snow.

Sick photo

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭sallymomo

Anyone else enjoying the fresh stuff? 3 feet on piste in the last 24 hours in limone and still going

sallymomo wrote: »
    Anyone else enjoying the fresh stuff? 3 feet on piste in the last 24 hours in limone and still going

Alas I got home yesterday. I'm thinking of going to Italy next year.

http://unofficialnetworks.com/2015/03/italian-town-just-set-new-world-record-for-single-day-snowfall-8-feet-4-8-inches

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Off next week, flights booked to grenoble, probably going to hit tignes with action outdoors, can't wait now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Quick question here, best/cheapest ski insurance for the week, all on piste. Any suggestions?

• Advertisement

Timmaay wrote: »
    Quick question here, best/cheapest ski insurance for the week, all on piste. Any suggestions?

I've tried and failed to find better/cheaper than VHI Multitrip. I don't get the extra winter sports cover, the basic cover is enough in itself. If you have time, get to your local health centre for your EH1C card (old E111), God forbid you need medical treatment that's the first thing they'll ask for ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

fannymagee wrote: »
    I've tried and failed to find better/cheaper than VHI Multitrip. I don't get the extra winter sports cover, the basic cover is enough in itself. If you have time, get to your local health centre for your EH1C card (old E111), God forbid you need medical treatment that's the first thing they'll ask for ;)

If you have Medical card or drugs Payment scheme card you can save yourself the trek and apply online for free!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 xchancellor

Timmaay wrote: »
    Off next week, flights booked to grenoble, probably going to hit tignes with action outdoors, can't wait now!!

Thinking of doing this in mid-April. Would be intrested to know how you get on in the UCPA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Was over in Tignes for the last weekend in Feb. The weather was fantastic, crisp blue skies or else buckets of snow - no half measures. The downside is Chambery is prone to delays when the snow falls. Between flight delays, baggage delays and transfers we had a travel time of 15 hours door to door. Could have been worse I guess.

Anyone switch from boarding to skiing ? Had a gap of 4 years before last boarding holiday and was descending like an aul granny this year, couldn't get it together. Thinking of taking ski lessons for the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Thinking of doing this in mid-April. Would be intrested to know how you get on in the UCPA.

Just booked Val Thoren's for mid April with action-outdoors.co.uk :D

For people that have done the UCPA thing before:

Are there lockers in the dorms? If so do you need to bring a lock?
    Are towels provided or should I bring my own?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

:eek:

Rew wrote: »

:eek:

Saw this a week or two ago. No offence to the guys in the video but if he didn't have his ski pole in the air I fear his luck might of run out. Panic or lack of knowledge I don't know which. Gloves off, the other guy not digging or clearing snow. Very lucky chap.

How this one in the news this week?

http://unofficialnetworks.com/2015/03/ski-lift-operator-charged-with-manslaughter-over-death-of-14-year-old-boy

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Saw this a week or two ago. No offence to the guys in the video but if he didn't have his ski pole in the air I fear his luck might of run out. Panic or lack of knowledge I don't know which. Gloves off, the other guy not digging or clearing snow. Very lucky chap.

How this one in the news this week?

http://unofficialnetworks.com/2015/03/ski-lift-operator-charged-with-manslaughter-over-death-of-14-year-old-boy

The guy who was buried put up the vid, has a whole bit in the description about how unprepared they were and wants people to use it as a training aid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Awful lucky with how the snowpack settled too, seemed to break away quite easily. Surely the first thing to do is get out the beacon? He was preparing shovel before locating. Beacon, probe, shovel that would have been the order I would take

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Awful lucky with how the snowpack settled too, seemed to break away quite easily. Surely the first thing to do is get out the beacon? He was preparing shovel before locating. Beacon, probe, shovel that would have been the order I would take

Advertisement