Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N plate

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

In theory, it's well-and-fine to be able to identify drivers who have demonstrated basic competence but are still inexperienced. In practice however, the place is full of gowls regardless. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

They vote, in great numbers. Anything that will inconvenience them will never happen.

Damn pensioners. Why can they not give suffrage to everybody else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

It just means the driver has only just passed their test and is only starting to drive unaccompanied. I genuinely don't see the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I passed my test last month and have the n plates up. I don't see the big deal really - I'm not planning to get any points so the lower limit shouldn't affect me, and I wouldn't have a drink if I might be driving so that lower limit shouldn't affect me either. I'd hope that seeing a white square with a red letter in it may cause people to instinctively give me a bit more space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭CarpeDiem85

It's like an episode of Countdown on the back of the car, so many letters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Specialun wrote: »
    Drivers behind arnt going to go " oh a N driver I better be careful here"
    I do, less than L drivers but I would certainly take notice. I have heard of people leaving their L plates up for some time after passing their test. In all sorts of situations I would take more care if I knew the person was only newly qualified to do whatever it is they are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I agree with the concept, but two years is far too long. 6 months would be fair enough. Surely, by that stage they're competent and confident enough to not have an explicit warning sign on their car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

thelad95 wrote: »
    I agree with the concept, but two years is far too long. 6 months would be fair enough. Surely, by that stage they're competent and confident enough to not have an explicit warning sign on their car.
    That's true. The sign I don't see an issue with, the two years seems two long all right though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Zippie84

Specialun wrote: »

Whats your opinion of it....

No opinion of it, as have no idea what you're talking about tbh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Dont really see the point. As someone else said they're about as useful as the baby on board stickers.

As soon as I get my licence Im not planning on driving unless absolutely necessary. Cant wait to be years out of practice but deemed to be no longer a novice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

we should introduce W plates for all the **** who have a full licence but can't drive around a roundabout correctly, consistently break speed limits, tailgate, park in disabled spaces, stop in hatch junctions, stay in the overtaking lane all the f@cking time, all of that crap. ****.

We do have W badges to denote ****. They are preceded by B and M badges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

we should introduce W plates for all the **** who have a full licence but can't drive around a roundabout correctly, consistently break speed limits, tailgate, park in disabled spaces, stop in hatch junctions, stay in the overtaking lane all the f@cking time, all of that crap. ****.

I was only saying this the other day, Imagine if after someone gets a certain amount of points or is caught doing something really wreckless, they get a tag or specially coloured license plate so other drivers will know they're a pr!ck and to be cautious.

Zombienosh wrote: »
    I was only saying this the other day, Imagine if after someone gets a certain amount of points or is caught doing something really wreckless, they get a plate or specially coloured license plate and everyone will know they're a pr!ck

I suggest a "K" plate, for "Knobjockey"! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

No, the "N" plate has as much impact on other drivers as one of those wodious "Baby On Board" signs. Utter wally-ism.

Baby on board signs can serve a purpose though. In an accident they could tell emergency services that there is a child in the car which they might not see from outside otherwise.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Baby on board signs can serve a purpose though. In an accident they could tell emergency services that there is a child in the car which they might not see from outside otherwise.

This one is trotted out regularly, and it is complete nonsense. An urban myth.

jimgoose wrote: »
    This one is trotted out regularly, and it is complete nonsense. An urban myth.

Perhaps it's never warned emergency services ever but I don't think you know what an urban myth is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭irelandrover

thelad95 wrote: »

I dont think that 6 months is long enough to be honest. Although I got my license in Holland and its 5 years of a lower limit and the possibility of points.

Perhaps it's never warned emergency services ever but I don't think you know what an urban myth is.

Oh for the luvva Jaysis: http://www.snopes.com/horrors/parental/babysign.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

I just assume that every other driver is a muppet about to do something stupid - N plate or not

Best to err on the safe side

The myth in that case is the origin of the sign. Not whether the sign could warn purple about the presence of a child.

• Advertisement

The myth in that case is the origin of the sign. Not whether the sign could warn purple about the presence of a child.

The myth here is that any emergency worker attending a road accident would be influenced in any way high-up low-down whatsoever by a stupid sticker in the search for occupants, large or small.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I think they were based on stats that showed young drivers to be most prone to fatal accidents in the first 18 months after they qualified.
    They don't sound like a bad idea in theory but it's a bit harsh making young drivers jump through ever more exacting hoops while so many older clowns are left free to act the muppet.

TBH I think the whole trend in motor policy is towards greater and greater nanny-statism and they just do it to young drivers because they know older ones won't put up with it. In a few decades I expect self-driving cars to be virtually mandatory. Our children will be conditioned to laugh at petrolhead culture as dangerous lunacy the way we laugh at the prevalence of smoking back in the day.
    That's why I make sure to enjoy my driving as much as possible now.

Just one day, I'd really love to see these stats presented from a neutral perspective that present a full range of information and analysis. They are always bias.

I work with stats and there's been a few times I've been told to fluff'em up.

We leave the car seat in, who's really going to bother sticking that sign up and taking it off when their kid isn't in the car?

The myth here is that any emergency worker attending a road accident would be influenced in any way high-up low-down whatsoever by a stupid sticker in the search for occupants, large or small.

That's a factual accuracy you're taking about not an urban myth.

Now if a sign was seen the information would be processed no doubt. Whether this would influence their actions or not is the point you're making. Again though - not an urban myth.

:)

We leave the car seat in, who's really going to bother sticking that sign up and taking it off when their kid isn't in the car?

Oh nobody I presume. Wasn't it just that it was advance warning of a child possibly being in a car as opposed to a Yes/No thing?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Oh nobody I presume. Wasn't it just that it was advance warning of a child possibly being in a car as opposed to a Yes/No thing?

It shouldn't make any odds. An emergency services crew that attends has an obligation to investigate an accident/disaster/whatever the best they can. They're expected to be on a wild goose chase regardless of the existence of such a sign.

It shouldn't make any odds. An emergency services crew that attends has an obligation to investigate an accident/disaster/whatever the best they can. They're expected to be on a wild goose chase regardless of the existence of such a sign.

Some good off-topicedness though. Thanks guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Just one day, I'd really love to see these stats presented from a neutral perspective that present a full range of information and analysis. They are always bias.

I work with stats and there's been a few times I've been told to fluff'em up.

Yeah. I bet we'd find that a 25 year old with an N plate is not too different from any other 25 year old driver.

That's a factual accuracy you're taking about not an urban myth...

T'one is a subset of t'other, no? :)

T'one is a subset of t'other, no? :)

Take it to the Semantics forum bub!

• Advertisement

Take it to the Semantics forum bub!

We need some "Pedant On Boards!" stickers, stat! :D

Advertisement