Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N plate

Options
  • 26-03-2015 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭

Maybe im a bit thick but i dont get the thinking behind this

Your either on a learner permt or full license...insurance companies dont recognise it

Drivers behind arnt going to go " oh a N driver I better be careful here" ...shirley if tneyve passed their test fairly and theyre allowed drive on their own whats the issue

Whats your opinion of it....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Specialun wrote: »
    Maybe im a bit thick but i dont get the thinking behind this

Your either on a learner permt or full license...insurance companies dont recognise it

Drivers behind arnt going to go " oh a N driver I better be careful here" ...shirley if tneyve passed their test fairly and theyre allowed drive on their own whats the issue

Whats your opinion of it....

Shirley ? Don't tell me shes driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭emo72

I've had my licence many many years now. You've either reached the standard or not. N plates are the dumbest idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Competency and experience go hand in hand when it comes to safe driving. A test can only ensure you have the former, not the latter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Don't really understand them either. Sorry. I as a full license holder understand the concept, but as a driver I don't understand the fact they've a full licence yet we are told, don't trust them they haven't still got any idea what they are doing. So then I think why have they got a full licence? Like should there be another test to get rid of your n plates?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Specialun wrote: »
    Drivers behind arnt going to go " oh a N driver I better be careful here"
    I would, yeah.

I mean you obviously have to be live to the possibility that any driver could make a stupid manoeuvre, but it seems wise to mark drivers who may be especially inexperienced.
    TallGlass wrote: »
    we are told, don't trust them they haven't still got any idea what they are doing.
    No we're not. We're just told, 'be a little extra vigilant'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Whacking one off at over 100kph qualifies candidates for a full driving licence. The N is for the nerds who fail that part OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

This is the kind of thing that happens when the administrators rule the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Revenue collecting exercise nothing to do with road safety

• Registered Users Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭dmc17

TallGlass wrote: »
    Don't really understand them either. Sorry. I as a full license holder understand the concept, but as a driver I don't understand the fact they've a full licence yet we are told, don't trust them they haven't still got any idea what they are doing. So then I think why have they got a full licence? Like should there be another test to get rid of your n plates?

No, what we are told is - even though they've slightly more idea what they're doing, they are still not to be trusted!

It does make sense in a way. Experience is key and just because you had an L plate yesterday and today you've got a full license, it doesn't mean you've developed a whole load of experience overnight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Th!ng

N_GGER?

Lesbian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Revenue collecting exercise nothing to do with road safety

What revenue are you referring to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

Load of guff. My E'ldest is driving around on "N" plates, as good a driver as you could meet. The next-door neighbour got his licence when they were handing them out without a test - he's bleedin lethal, not a clue. Arbitrary rules made up by gowls. "Ohh, Ohh, I had an idea, let's make them wear "N" plates...." Feck off.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

we should introduce W plates for all the **** who have a full licence but can't drive around a roundabout correctly, consistently break speed limits, tailgate, park in disabled spaces, stop in hatch junctions, stay in the overtaking lane all the f@cking time, all of that crap. ****.

• Administrators Posts: 53,468 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The R plates work pretty well in NI. I'm not sure if the N plates here are exactly the same with regards to lower limits for disqualification etc though.

Most the complaints are from young lads who are just whining that the badge makes their modified heap of sh*te look even worse than it is.

Driving laws down here are awful though in terms of enforcement. Completely useless. I wonder how many people are driving around without a valid full license or even displaying the plate. If you were caught by the PSNI without a valid license or your R plates up you'd be absolutely screwed, whereas down here the guards would probably do fecking nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Should be a 'C' one for Complacent

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

we should introduce W plates for all the **** who have a full licence but can't drive around a roundabout correctly, consistently break speed limits, tailgate, park in disabled spaces, stop in hatch junctions, stay in the overtaking lane all the f@cking time, all of that crap. ****.

Have you a " doctor on call " badge ?

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

Personally I think it's a good idea... Just because someone passes their driving test, doesn't mean that they've clocked up enough experience behind the wheel - the N plate gives people time to do just that.
    That's why the penalty points on the N licence are less than on a full licence.

awec wrote: »
    The R plates work pretty well in NI. I'm not sure if the N plates here are exactly the same with regards to lower limits for disqualification etc though.

Most the complaints are from young lads who are just whining that the badge makes their modified heap of sh*te look even worse than it is.

No, the "N" plate has as much impact on other drivers as one of those wodious "Baby On Board" signs. Utter wally-ism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Infracted

awec wrote: »

Driving laws down here are awful though in terms of enforcement. Completely useless. I wonder how many people are driving around without a valid full license or even displaying the plate. If you were caught by the PSNI without a valid license or your R plates up you'd be absolutely screwed, whereas down here the guards would probably do fecking nothing.

R drivers have a lower speed limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭buried

A total racket exercise but that doesnt mean it's a bad idea, it just has to be used in the right societal benifit area. For example, these 'N' plates would work very well if it was mandatory for people who have just turned 18 to wear them on their foreheads when they go to the pubs/nightclubs for 2 years

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

What revenue are you referring to?

All the one euros they rake in from the sale of the signs. Probably about six billion a year in my reckoning.

On top of the 100 trillion from speeding fines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

No we're not. We're just told, 'be a little extra vigilant'.

Well if we are been honest here Mr Smarty Pants then no one told me anything. I always drive like that anyway I don't need an N plate on a car to tell me, I do it regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

Bureaucratic ****. What kind of special gimp applauds these kind of mickey mouse measures ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Infracted

There should be an O plate for OAPs. The logic used for having such visible plates for Learner Drivers and Novice Drivers can be applied to OAPs. The plate lets other drivers know the type of driver they are dealing with and approach situations differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Bureaucratic ****. What kind of special gimp applauds these kind of mickey mouse measures ?

a subservient gimp

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭BlatentCheek

I think they were based on stats that showed young drivers to be most prone to fatal accidents in the first 18 months after they qualified.
    They don't sound like a bad idea in theory but it's a bit harsh making young drivers jump through ever more exacting hoops while so many older clowns are left free to act the muppet.

TBH I think the whole trend in motor policy is towards greater and greater nanny-statism and they just do it to young drivers because they know older ones won't put up with it. In a few decades I expect self-driving cars to be virtually mandatory. Our children will be conditioned to laugh at petrolhead culture as dangerous lunacy the way we laugh at the prevalence of smoking back in the day.
    That's why I make sure to enjoy my driving as much as possible now.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭BlatentCheek

Infracted wrote: »
    There should be an O plate for OAPs. The logic used for having such visible plates for Learner Drivers and Novice Drivers can be applied to OAPs. The plate lets other drivers know the type of driver they are dealing with and approach situations differently.

They vote, in great numbers. Anything that will inconvenience them will never happen.

They vote, in great numbers. Anything that will inconvenience them will never happen.

Apart from weak bladders...weak bladder syndrome is our revenge..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Benteke

Just another way of insurance companies keeping your insurance quote up even after you have passed your test, It's all about money

Advertisement