Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 RBS Six Nations General Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

One scotland player suffered serious concussion today. He claimed after game they can win the world cup later this year :O

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭twinytwo

England
    The saddest part of the 6 nations is how truly woeful France have become.

PSA have france playing "structured" rugby .. this should be considered a crime

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

England
    twinytwo wrote: »
    The saddest part of the 6 nations is how truly woeful France have become.

PSA have france playing "structured" rugby .. this should be considered a crime

But they put up some fight yesterday. PSA might have done enough to keep his job until after the WC, which might suit Ireland just fine.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

vienne86 wrote: »
    But they put up some fight yesterday. PSA might have done enough to keep his job until after the WC, which might suit Ireland just fine.

According to rog last week it'll be a cold day in he'll before PSA gets sacked before the world cup

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

England
    The French have never sacked a coach. They wont start with a French legend like PSA.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Well done to the 62.97% of people who picked Ireland for the title. I was one of the 1.58% who went with Italy. Ah well, better luck next year in the tipping stakes...

Edit: and since I posted, someone has voted for Ireland. Ummm, the tournament finished yesterday...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

France
    vienne86 wrote: »
    PSA might have done enough to keep his job until after the WC, which might suit Ireland just fine.
    Stheno wrote: »
    According to rog last week it'll be a cold day in he'll before PSA gets sacked before the world cup

Lads for the umpteenth time (:p) PSA will NEVER be sacked. Even if we had lost 100-0 at the week-end (well maybe he would have resigned then :p). And he'll leave after the WC whatever we'll do in it. Raphaël Ibañez being the strong favourite to take over the job.

Following Fouroux glorious years (in the 80ies), French coaches followed WC 4 years cycles: Berbizier, Skrela, Laporte (who made 2 cycles ; the exception which proves the rule ;)), Lièvremont, PSA... And It's not looking like changing, at least for now. If Laporte gets FFR head we may see some revolutions but we're not there yet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

England
    Just wondering did BBC block out the full day like RTE 2 did? or they swap around channels??

I bet BT and Sky are falling over each other to buy the license rights now.....imagine the publicity if Sky had a day of rugby like that.....

Just to show how bad it was, after the Ireland v Scotland match the UPC box turned it self off because nobody had changed anything in such a long period, went into auto shut down

The TV tried it a few times as well

:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

thread closed as game has it's own thread. Big Nelly your question has been copied to http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057356098&page=23

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

England
    thread closed as game has it's own thread. Big Nelly your question has been copied to http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057356098&page=23

I'm really confused....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

England
    I'm really confused....

Think he meant to post that in the Ireland v Scotland build up thread which has just been closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

What a weekend. Planning on watching the last 2 games back again now this afternoon. Stand out moment of the weekend other than the rugby on show was the anthems during the England-France game. Was down in Castlebar with my dad and a few of his brothers. All day we had been singing all of the anthems pre-game (in as much as we could given we didn't know the words of anything other than Irelands Call and Flower of Scotland). After a rousing rendition of La Marseillaise the barman came over and said he had to mute the TV for the English anthem as the locals didn't want to have to listen to it (I think we were the only ones watching the rugby there down the back of the pub). So with the TV showing the English belting out God Save the Queen we all starting singing the tune from Eastenders. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

England
    Italy have fallen to 15th in the world rankings, overtaken by Georgia and still behind Tonga, Fiji and Japan.

Italy have fallen to 15th in the world rankings, overtaken by Georgia and still behind Tonga, Fiji and Japan.

I'd say Brunel can't wait to get out of there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭bilston

England
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/six-nations/more-of-us-watched-englands-nailbiter-against-france-than-irelands-victory-in-murrayfield-31089438.html

These viewing figures are more evidence that a move to Pay TV would be a big mistake for the 6Ns. How many of us have found ourselves chatting rugby to "non rugby fans" over the last 48 hours? That would never be the case if the 6Ns was on Sky or BT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

England
    How did Vunipola make player of the championship panel? The English bias is crazy, Joesph will probably take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

England
    Are there podcasts of radio coverage around. I'd love to watch the game but listen to Corcoran

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Montroseee wrote: »
    How did Vunipola make player of the championship panel? The English bias is crazy, Joesph will probably take it.

Vunipola had a fine tournament. He was central to the English attack time and time again making hard yards and presenting good ball. He was the best 8 in the tournament for me. Deceptively quick also, despite his bulk. Nobody was catching him when he made that 50m break against us.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Cheese Wagstaff

England
    molloyjh wrote: »
    After a rousing rendition of La Marseillaise the barman came over and said he had to mute the TV for the English anthem as the locals didn't want to have to listen to it.

You're not serious? Build a bridge lads...

• Advertisement

You're not serious? Build a bridge lads...

Yeah, I don't get the problem with it but it did lead to an funny couple of minutes as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Ludikrus

molloyjh wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't get the problem with it but it did lead to an funny couple of minutes as a result.

What was the name of the bar?

Ludikrus wrote: »
    What was the name of the bar?

I honestly have no idea. It had a local darts championship on Friday night with a pool table and TV down the back if that's any help...

EDIT: Actually thinking about it now I may have been making an assumption on the reasons for the muting of the sound. It could be that they were watching something else and wanted the sound down the front of the bar for that. The barman did just apologise and indicate towards the others in the bar. That said the sound went off for GSTQ and back on again once it ended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

England
    Ian Ritchie hasn't been mincing his words about England not winning the championship:
    "I think we would have expected to have won the title by now, so this is not acceptable at all,” he said. “Let us be clear: things were entirely within our control, but we didn’t do what we should have done.“We did not take our chances and were not clever enough at certain times to deserve to win. There’s no point bleating about it: Ireland deserved their win because of what they did over the five matches. We did not do enough.”

“If you go back through history, we should as a country have won more in terms of Grand Slams and championships,” he remarked. “Have we missed some of our current targets? Yes. Targets are not the be all and end all and I believe the underlying situation is positive, but we’re not happy with another second place.”

I suppose he's right. With their playing pool and money, it really should only be England and France fighting it out each year.

I wonder is there a bit of pressure ramping up on Lancaster at this point? Has he taken the side as far as he can? I would think the minimum expectation for them in autumn is a semi final. If they fail in that, I can see the RFU considering their options. Runner up 4 years in a row isn't what they're looking for. As disliked as he was, even Johnson managed to win a 6N title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

England
    I miss the 6 Nations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Buer wrote: »
    I wonder is there a bit of pressure ramping up on Lancaster at this point? Has he taken the side as far as he can? I would think the minimum expectation for them in autumn is a semi final. If they fail in that, I can see the RFU considering their options. Runner up 4 years in a row isn't what they're looking for. As disliked as he was, even Johnson managed to win a 6N title.

Doubt it. contract extended to 2020. Has been a little unlucky, but there is definitely weaknesses in this team. World cup is what it's all about this year.

England
    Player pool does matter for sure, but realistically the bottleneck at the top limits this a lot and from there it comes down to your top 20 - 30 players and their conditioning.

It so happens that we have a solid squad of 30 or so players who are well conditioned and excellently coached.

Given how Irish teams have faired in pro12 and European rugby it's not hard to see at all why we've been more successful than England of late as the upper tier of our playing pool perform at or better than theirs.

Buer wrote: »
    I wonder is there a bit of pressure ramping up on Lancaster at this point?

There undoubtedly is. They last won the 6 Nations in 2011 and since then under Lancaster have been runners-up 4 times from 4. There is no way that Ritchie is talking about anything other than Lancasters record and while he hasn't written him off it's a very public warning that they need to start winning or he's gone IMO.

• Advertisement

Rightwing wrote: »
    Doubt it. contract extended to 2020. Has been a little unlucky, but there is definitely weaknesses in this team. World cup is what it's all about this year.

EOS signed a 5 contract extension before the RWC. He didn't come close to seeing it out. If things go stale and England don't hit their targets (which Ritchie states they're failing to do) then I'm sure the situation will be reviewed. The comments from Lancaster's boss aren't exactly a glowing endorsement of this season.

Advertisement