Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jinx: The Life and Deaths of Robert Durst

Options
  • 17-03-2015 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭

Anybody watched, have watched or plan to watch this HBO documentary?

Absolutely fascinating, just finished the finale there. It's in 6 parts. Surprised no discussion has been made yet. Don't research beforehand (or umm, even click on current headlines relating to Robert Durst) so you won't be somewhat spoiled.

It's often compared to Serial but I kinda don't agree beside the true crime and pseudo-investigative journalism angle. I find Durst more like a mix of Psycho and Steve Carrell's character in Foxcatcher (who's a real person I think as well).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I watched the first 2 parts so far and it's a well made documentary. How he
    got away with murdering his wife is disgusting but the guy was rich so not at all surprising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Is it a bit like Staircase?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

camz09 wrote: »
    Anybody watched, have watched or plan to watch this HBO documentary?

Absolutely fascinating, just finished the finale there. It's in 6 parts. Surprised no discussion has been made yet. Don't research beforehand (or umm, even click on current headlines relating to Robert Durst) so you won't be somewhat spoiled.

It's often compared to Serial but I kinda don't agree beside the true crime and pseudo-investigative journalism angle. I find Durst more like a mix of Psycho and Steve Carrell's character in Foxcatcher (who's a real person I think as well).

Was going to post about it today - I'm 4 episodes in and it's terrific. It's a hell of a yarn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Watched All Good Things, the film dramatisation of events and quite enjoyed that so must watch the documentary on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Is it a bit like Staircase?

A little bit. I reckon if you like The Staircase you will like this. Your better off watching this blind to all that happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Watched the first two episodes this morning.

Fascinating and compelling viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭camz09

Watched All Good Things, the film dramatisation of events and quite enjoyed that so must watch the documentary on him.

It's the same guy who made the movie and the documentary. Actually, it was from Durst watching All Good Things that served as impetus for The Jinx documentary, he contacted Jarecki (the director) to voice his side of the story.The rest is uhhh, history... dun dun dun.

A little bit. I reckon if you like The Staircase you will like this. Your better off watching this blind to all that happened.

I know the ending as I read about the other day on a news site, without even knowing about this.

Thanks. Will watch asap

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I heard about this on Facebook and noted that Jarecki also made "Capturing The Friedmans" which I found fascinating but have seriously mixed feelings about. He sure has a habit of getting involved in real-life legal proceedings.

This documentary was astonishing. There were times when I felt like I was watching a fictional movie.

Scattered thoughts:
    As well as the obvious subject of the film, I thought this was an interesting and sad look into the lives of the extremely rich and powerful. Families who are brands rather than families. The idea that the Durst father and brothers had knowledge of Robert's involvement in Kathleen's death and didn't do anything because it would look bad for the family is disgusting. The photo of Douglas Durst standing in front of the Freedom Tower, something that is supposed to be a hopeful symbol, was jarring.

That being said, I believe had Robert not been arrested a few days ago, he may have eventually tried to kill his brother Douglas, despite his security staff.

The police investigating Kathleen's disappearance owe her friends an apology. As funny as the image of them stealing Durst's rubbish was, they were doing more than the police were.

My heart broke for Susan Berman's son.

I don't know how those Texan lawyers can live with themselves. I know everyone is entitled to a defence but to go to such lengths to help a murderer. What kind of person does that every day? Not to mention their bizarre defence tactic of blaming the District Attorney. If she "had just kept her mouth shut, none of this would have happened". Really? And the jury laughing like they were at a comedy gig. It's frightening. Plus, surely if Robert had really killed Morris in self-defence he would do everything in his power to seem co-operative. But he never told them what he did with the head.

Did anyone else notice that when Robert was asked what he thought the police were looking for in the water behind his house, he said "body parts", plural. Not just a body, but parts. Like Morris.

Durst's admission ("What the hell did I do? Killed them all, of course"). Can that possibly be admitted in court given how it was recorded? Unfortunately I don't think so.

What kind of person sees that his wife is about to jump to her death from the roof of the house and wakes his son up to watch rather than trying to stop her? Although I guess we have to doubt everything Robert Durst says.

Durst's current wife, Charatan, looks like a piece of work. It seems like a marriage of convenience for both of them (spousal privilege and Charatan controlling the trust) but it baffles me how people like her can sit on information.

It seems Durst was planning on making a run for it, given he was arrested with 40 thousand in cash and a latex mask. There are also murmurings he could be investigated for two other murders in California in the 90s.
    In conclusion, this is one of those stories that is so ridiculous and outlandish that it seems like it couldn't possibly happen in real life. Sometimes the truth really is stranger than fiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Just finished watching it there. I really wasn't expecting that at all. I had avoided all the press on it so it wouldn't ruin it on me.

Few views:
    Same as the poster above - the bit when he said 'body parts' and not Kathie or a body really stuck out for me. Now maybe he said that because of the Morris case that preceded the interview.

Susan Bermon's son's head must be absolutely melted with that discovery and not knowing the whole time that his mothers killer was right in front of him.

The last bit with the recording in the bathroom - it genuinely freaked me out. It sounded slightly satanical and initially I thought he must have a split personality or something ('he was right, I was wrong') but obviously he's talking about the lawyer now in hindsight. I hope that they can use that to lock him up.

Anyone else think his facial ticks and reactions just give him away straight away. After every lie he does this twitch and his mannerism after one of the questions where he wipes away his mouth and has a look of disgust kind of gives him away. Well.. that and those psychopathic eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Just finished this. Holy ****.

I have such a strong whoa feeling.

What a TV show!

Some weird stories are coming out of the woodwork, including this one from the Galveston judge.
    Criss also claims that shortly after the trial concluded, she found a "perfectly preserved" severed cat's head on her doorstep and believes that it was Durst who left it there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

How the hell did he get away with the murder of Morris Black?!

mod: spoiler tags added

His defence team were excellent. Absolutely shameless (they turned my stomach), but excellent.
    They pushed hard that he was not being charged with what happened after Morris died (dismemberment, dumping the body). He was being charged with murder. So they completely own the fact that Durst killed Morris but planted just enough of a seed of doubt in the jury that they felt they couldn't charge him with murder.

It's terrifying to think that people like him must be getting away with all sorts with a little legal dancing. Especially if they're rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

He served about 3 years after that trial for jumping bail and evidence tampering.

If only the HEAD was actually recovered ( Durst came back to retrieve it, wonder where he disposed of it after!?), then it would have been shown whether it was pre-meditated murder or acting in self-defence!!! Still bonkers to be called 'not guilty' after freaking dismembering a body. He could've just left it there, called 911 and say you struggled and the gun went off. But not Durst though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Just finished the lot. Great documentary.

Moreso than anyone else the original detectives on the case investigating the disappearance of his wife really infuriated me. I just kept thinking, how bad are you all at your jobs that all these false alibis were just taken at face value without looking into it whatsoever - literally all they had to do was question the doorman and they could've figured out from that she never made it back to New York. Could've done a better job on that case myself, just from watching crime shows or reading detective novels.

Moreso than anyone else the original detectives on the case investigating the disappearance of his wife really infuriated me. I just kept thinking, how bad are you all at your jobs that all these false alibis were just taken at face value without looking into it whatsoever - literally all they had to do was question the doorman and they could've figured out from that she never made it back to New York. Could've done a better job on that case myself, just from watching crime shows or reading detective novels.
    Here comes the cynic in me but one thought running through my head was how important a family like the Dursts are politically. Wealthy families like to donate to political campaigns. Mayoral races, state's attorney, police chief, etc.

And wouldn't they be much more likely to donate if their name hadn't been tarnished with a murder arrest?

I mean, New York in the 80s was very different and had a lot more violent crime so the sheer volume of cases would have meant the police couldn't give everything the attention it deserved but maybe they were encouraged not to make the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Here comes the cynic in me but one thought running through my head was how important a family like the Dursts are politically. Wealthy families like to donate to political campaigns. Mayoral races, state's attorney, police chief, etc.

And wouldn't they be much more likely to donate if their name hadn't been tarnished with a murder arrest?

I mean, New York in the 80s was very different and had a lot more violent crime so the sheer volume of cases would have meant the police couldn't give everything the attention it deserved but maybe they were encouraged not to make the time.

Ah yeah, I thought the same myself, but even in the documentary the lead detective came across as a bit of a dope - at least if he came across as a bit corrupt or had given any kind of an inkling his hand had been tied at the time or something I would have had a bit more time for him, but he really just seemed like the village idiot.

The Defense Attorneys from Texas were detestable in a way, but on the other hand I could respect where they were coming from. They came across as really clever and did a fantastic job in the courtroom (even though they knew he was guilty). Same goes for the second wife of Durst - she knew the score, but managed to come across really sharp in the interrogation tapes and from the snippets of phones calls we heard.

Great documentary, and fairly similar to The Staircase alright.

It's clear, and I think someone even said it in the doc, if you've money in America you can get away with anything.

The jurors from Texas though, it's as if they've been brainwashed!

Felt sorry for the son of Susan Berman alright, he believed right up until the letter evidence came appeared.

I just wonder though, why the film-makers didn't go straight to the cops with it, they sat on it for weeks just so they could get the "money shot" - he could have killed again!

• Advertisement

I just wonder though, why the film-makers didn't go straight to the cops with it, they sat on it for weeks just so they could get the "money shot" - he could have killed again!

Yeah, some of the director's choices were a bit iffy to me. Lots are questioning the timeline of the last episode as well- the 2nd interview (2012) happened before the arrest (2013), meaning they filmed him walking around times square with durst, (even pointing out one of his brother's condo) after confronting him with the letters that same afternoon?! But in the episode, Jarecki made it seem like they were using the footage as 'leverage' for a 2nd interview. Also, the bathroom confession was discovered last year, when did they inform the police of this? So it took 1 year for Durst to be apprehended assuming they gave it right away?

camz09 wrote: »
    Yeah, some of the director's choices were a bit iffy to me. Lots are questioning the timeline of the last episode as well- the 2nd interview (2012) happened before the arrest (2013), meaning they filmed him walking around times square with durst, (even pointing out one of his brother's condo) after confronting him with the letters that same afternoon?! But in the episode, Jarecki made it seem like they were using the footage as 'leverage' for a 2nd interview. Also, the bathroom confession was discovered last year, when did they inform the police of this? So it took 1 year for Durst to be apprehended assuming they gave it right away?

Jarecki has a reputation for selective or manipulative editing. "Friedmans" was dubious - "Catfish" was just plain wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,595 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Anyone know if/when this is being shown on any of the Sky channels??

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Anyone know if/when this is being shown on any of the Sky channels??

16 April at 9pm Sky Atlantic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Because you didn't use ****ing spoilers, clearly.

Because you didn't use ****ing spoilers, clearly.

Eh you're having a laugh right? This was a HUGE media story back when it happened. It's a true story ya know? It's saying you didn't know OJ got away with it.

It's not like I ruined the end of Batman for you.
    Batman is Bruce Wayne.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Was following this week by week and then ruined the finale for myself by glancing at social media where everyone suddenly jumped on it posting quotes etc before I could watch it - amazing story though.

I heard Jarecki is still shooting on it so may be more to come...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Eh you're having a laugh right? This was a HUGE media story back when it happened. It's a true story ya know? It's saying you didn't know OJ got away with it.

It's not like I ruined the end of Batman for you.
    Batman is Bruce Wayne.

I've spoken to a lot of people about the documentary and most of them had not heard of Robert Durst so stop making silly assumptions.

magma69 wrote: »
    I've spoken to a lot of people about the documentary and most of them had not heard of Robert Durst so stop making silly assumptions.

So because you and your friends had never heard of him it's silly of me to think other people wouldn't have? Right...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

So because you and your friends had never heard of him it's silly of me to think other people wouldn't have? Right...

Yes. Plenty of people have not heard of him. It was a stupid assumption to think everyone had heard of the case.

Advertisement