Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going back to College? Check here for Mature/Disabled/Access/Grant & Fees information

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 CaoimheMalone

applied for back to education at the start of august :/ still no word back

• Registered Users Posts: 16,515 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Konichiwa sarusan, As far as I know 'free fees' are only for undergraduate, and yes, you must have lived in Ireland or Europe for at least three years before applying as an undergrad to get 'free fees'.
    I'm not too sure on the higher levels, but I think you must pay, though there are more ways that one to skin a cat. Might be worth your while to email the universities you are interested in asking for more details.
    I agree, very difficult to really comprehend what they mean

Best,

grasshopper1
    Sup08 wrote: »
    You must be resident in Ireland, EU, EEA or Switzerland for 3 of the last 5 years to be eligible for any student grant from Ireland.

The Post Graduate Grant Assistance is €2000 fees contribution or up to €6270 if you qualify for a special rate.

Thanks both.

Just to clarify, I'm not looking for free fees or grants. I know I'll have to pay. I'm wondering whether I'd be eligible for EU fees for a PhD, or have to pay 'international student' fees, which would obviously be much higher.

I've emailed UL with much the same info as in my earlier post, and they said that, based on the info in my email it looks like I'd be eligible for EU fees rather than inteernational fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 thierrys other hand

QUOTE "You must be resident in Ireland, EU, EEA or Switzerland for 3 of the last 5 years to be eligible for any student grant from Ireland."

My friend has just started degree in nursing in England. she was born in ireland and has irish PPS No. , but moved to England when she was 16.So she has been out of Ireland for more than 3 years. The rest of her family are still living in Ireland and she would like to come home.
    Does anyone know if it is possible to transfer back to a nursing course here or would she have to reapply?
    From reading the BTEA and Student Grant websites i found it difficult to understand about funding. Is it possible to get funding to continue studying or would she have to live here for a certain amount of time before qualifing for funding?
    I tried asking the local Citizens Advice but they were not too sure either.
    All help greatly appreciated and thanks for all the good info so far .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

QUOTE "You must be resident in Ireland, EU, EEA or Switzerland for 3 of the last 5 years to be eligible for any student grant from Ireland."

My friend has just started degree in nursing in England. she was born in ireland and has irish PPS No. , but moved to England when she was 16.So she has been out of Ireland for more than 3 years. The rest of her family are still living in Ireland and she would like to come home.
    Does anyone know if it is possible to transfer back to a nursing course here or would she have to reapply?
    From reading the BTEA and Student Grant websites i found it difficult to understand about funding. Is it possible to get funding to continue studying or would she have to live here for a certain amount of time before qualifing for funding?
    I tried asking the local Citizens Advice but they were not too sure either.
    All help greatly appreciated and thanks for all the good info so far .

She would have to check with the college about transferring her course to Ireland.
    If she meets all the eligibility requirements, she would be eligible for the Fees part of the grant for her course in Ireland. If during her course she becomes 3 years resident in Ireland she will then be eligible for them maintenance part of the course but only if she is not in receipt of BTEA and meet the threshold requirements.

Unfortunately, I do not know enough about the BTEA side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

To get BTEA she needs 234 days (not counting Sundays) on a social welfare payment such as Jobseekers before becoming eligible afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 thierrys other hand

Thanks for both those replies. That makes it straightforward to understand. Is there any other maintenance grant that I have not thought about for here along the lines of BETA. I couldn't find one myself but maybe there is something overlooked out there?

Not really. Pretty much the only sources of state financial support are the DSP payment BTEA and the SUSI grant. You can sometimes get limited assistance from the Vincent de Paul and if you are working you can claim tax back from revenue on certain fees but that's pretty much it as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭McSasquatch II

Hi everyone,

I had been planning on going to university next year as a mature student but my local Citizens Information office has pretty much told me I won't be eligible for free fees, grants or the BTEA because I've studied at 3rd level before - I completed an EIQA awarded certificate in 2007 (I enrolled to do the follow up year in 2008 for the diploma in the same subject, but didn't complete that second year). As far as I know, the award I received is NFQ level 7, whereas I would be doing a level 8 program next year (UCD Ag Science degree). I'm currently unemployed and in receipt of JSA.

So, if my situation doesn't change, what am I entitled to? Please tell me my CIC gave me faulty info! Otherwise I'm pretty screwed. :(

Oak76 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I had been planning on going to university next year as a mature student but my local Citizens Information office has pretty much told me I won't be eligible for free fees, grants or the BTEA because I've studied at 3rd level before - I completed an EIQA awarded certificate in 2007 (I enrolled to do the follow up year in 2008 for the diploma in the same subject, but didn't complete that second year). As far as I know, the award I received is NFQ level 7, whereas I would be doing a level 8 program next year (UCD Ag Science degree). I'm currently unemployed and in receipt of JSA.

So, if my situation doesn't change, what am I entitled to? Please tell me my CIC gave me faulty info! Otherwise I'm pretty screwed. :(

If you have not studied since 2008 and have not gained any qualification for the level you are pursuing , you may be considered a second chance student.
    If you only studied at Level 7 and gained the qualification you may be eligible for funding once you are progressing and a maximum of 4 years study at level 8.

You wont be eligible for the free fee initiative but you might be able to have your tuition fees paid if you meet the criteria for the SUSI grant. They can fund you to do a level 8 degree from first year if your existing qualification is at level 7. You have to meet the income, residence and nationality criteria though.

• Advertisement

Balls. Feels unfair seeing as I didn't get free fees for the first course I did.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback folks. Will have to do some thinking.

Why balls?
    Give details of courses, qualifications and start and end dates of each course.including levels and part time or full time in chronological order.

"Balls" because I'm technically a "mature dependent student" which means I'm likely to get next to nothing when means-tested.

Anyway, my third level experience thus far;

2006-2007 Part 1 EIQA Diploma in Quality Management (@ DIT Bolton St) - completed, awarded certificate.
    2007-2008 Part 2 EIQA Diploma in Quality Management (@ DIT Bolton St) - didn't finish.

Both years were part-time (2-3 hours a week). It looks like the location of the course (and indeed some of the content) has moved from Bolton St to Tallaght (run in other ITs around the country too). Level 7. Thanks for your time by the way, it's hugely appreciated.

"Balls" because I'm technically a "mature dependent student" which means I'm likely to get next to nothing when means-tested.

2006-2007 Part 1 EIQA Diploma in Quality Management (@ DIT Bolton St) - completed, awarded certificate.
    2007-2008 Part 2 EIQA Diploma in Quality Management (@ DIT Bolton St) - didn't finish.

Both years were part-time (2-3 hours a week). It looks like the location of the course (and indeed some of the content) has moved from Bolton St to Tallaght (run in other ITs around the country too). Level 7. Thanks for your time by the way, it's hugely appreciated.

Oak if you didn't get the Diploma then you should only be liable for fees for the first two years of the Ag Science degree because technically you only have the certificate, (level 6) not the level 7 qualification. It would be a good idea to contact UCD to double check your free fee status as they are the ones who would decide your Free Fee Initiative eligibility. Or you could talk to the Dept of Education Student Support Unit. they are pretty good at clarifying info on the Free Fee Initiative: (057) 932 5317

Thanks so much paperclip, I had planned to call into UCD admin on Monday alright. I found this table of reckonable bands on studentfinance.ie, and it looks like I'd qualify to have all fees paid via the grant system. The big worry then would be the day to day costs, but I rang the DSP this morning re: the BTEA and was told that as things stand now, my previous course wouldn't prevent me from getting the allowance as it was at a lower level than the course I'd be going for next year. That could change next summer though.

I had a horrible night worrying about all this... For the first time in my life, I know exactly what I want to do, so to miss out now would break my heart. Anyway, I'll call the Student Support Unit now, and let you know how I get on.

This is your level 7 qualification.
    This course would have been the level 8.

As the second part was more than 5 years ago and you did not receive the qualification, you should be considered a second chance student.

Both of the courses were not approved courses but the qualification is still recognised on the NFQ.
    Part time courses are counted for a period of study based on the ECTS, generally 60 ECTS = 1 year full time, so 30 ECTS would equal 1 semester period of study.
    There should be no period of study for you and if you are eligible meeting all the other criteria surrounding reckonable income etc, you would qualify to enter year 1 on a level 8 as progression.

Thanks Sup08, much obliged.

I rang the Student Support Unit earlier (although I got through to a different department, but she transferred me over anyway) and was told I'd definitely not receive free fees. But then UCD's help desk told me (after checking and then calling me back) that I'd be considered a second chance student and would indeed be entitled to free fees.

Thanks again everyone, I'll keep ye posted if there are any developments!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 kildub

OAK 76, did you get free fees/BTEA sorted? What happened?

Hi kildub.

I've arranged to talk to someone in the Adult Education office in UCD next week, so they might be able to get me someone to talk to in the fees office. Even if UCD don't grant me free fees, I'm pretty sure I'll get them paid by SUSI.

As for the BTEA, no idea. The DSP helpline operator told me I'd get them, but she also said that the criteria could well change in the summer. So that one is wait-and-see.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 UpsideDown Face

Hi I'm 24 living away from home I've already completed a level 7 & 8 hons degree which I received a grant for. I want to go back to college to study study something different as I can't find work in my feild, is there any type of grant or funding I might be eligible for?

• Advertisement

Hi I'm 24 living away from home I've already completed a level 7 & 8 hons degree which I received a grant for. I want to go back to college to study study something different as I can't find work in my feild, is there any type of grant or funding I might be eligible for?

If you were awarded your Hons Degree you may only be eligible for grant assistance if you progress to postgraduate studies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 UpsideDown Face

If you were awarded your Hons Degree you may only be eligible for grant assistance if you progress to postgraduate studies.

I was awarded my hons degree!

So there is absolutely no way I can receive any assistance from BTEA or susi ect if I want to do a different level 7 even if I wait 5years

So there is absolutely no way I can receive any assistance from BTEA or susi ect if I want to do a different level 7 even if I wait 5years

There is no funding from SUSI in respect of anything lower than postgraduate studies if you have completed and been awarded your Hons Degree level 8. Even if you wait 5 years or more. You must be continuing to progress in your studies for further grant assistance and meet the other eligibility criteria.
    I am not too sure on the BTEA side of assistance.

You can only get BTEA if your proposed graduate course is a Teaching qualification or is at level 8 on the national framework of qualifications (i.e a H.Dip or Postgraduate cert or diploma). A Masters programme would not be funded.

However if you are on a social welfare payment and want to do a science or Technology postgrad you might find something on the Springboard website which lists both under and post grad courses in skill shortage areas.

These courses are free and don't affect your dsp payment.
    http://www.springboardcourses.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 3 NYGRL

To qualify for the free fees I understand you have to be resident in Ireland for 3 of the previous 5 years. Is that 3 years before applying for college or 3 years before starting the course? A tax year is classified as 189 days or something like that, so technically a year could be covered from Jan 2015 through Sept 2015 before starting a course. However, if the 3 years need to be before you submit the CAO application then it could mean putting everything off for another year. Thanks!

NYGRL wrote: »
    To qualify for the free fees I understand you have to be resident in Ireland for 3 of the previous 5 years. Is that 3 years before applying for college or 3 years before starting the course? A tax year is classified as 189 days or something like that, so technically a year could be covered from Jan 2015 through Sept 2015 before starting a course. However, if the 3 years need to be before you submit the CAO application then it could mean putting everything off for another year. Thanks!

It is counted back from the day before start date of your college course. It is counted as a full calendar year, 365 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 NYGRL

It is counted back from the day before start date of your college course. It is counted as a full calendar year, 365 days.

I found this info from UCD: *Ordinarily resident means being resident in the EU/EEA/Swiss Confederation for a minimum of 183 days in any one calendar year for a minimum of 3 years

As long as the year immediately prior to starting the course is counted as a year then I should be ok.
    Thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Omega28

Considering doing Physiotherapy in RCSI (grad entry). One problem, it's 30k. Would banks listen to a poor, mature, wannabe student?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭uptherebels

can you be reassessed going from level 7 straight to level8 for susi? i.e from a dependant to an independant?

• Advertisement

can you be reassessed going from level 7 straight to level8 for susi? i.e from a dependant to an independant?

No
    You must have a break of 3 years or more from your studies to be reclassed from dependent to independent.
    But you can start in year 1 of a level 8 if you have been awarded your level 7

Advertisement