Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Going back to College? Check here for Mature/Disabled/Access/Grant & Fees information

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Hi Steve
    steve7448 wrote: »
    - Can i still apply as a mature student since feburary deadline is now over or would i be better of going through cao route.

There's late application through CAO from 5th March until the 1st of May.
    Maynooth have only closed mature student application to 4 courses. They will still accept Mature student application to both accounting degrees:
    • Business & Accounting code MH407
    • Accounting & Finance code MH403.

You can still apply for these courses as a mature student. This involves applying to NUI Maynooth on their application form for matures and also applying through CAO.

- Am i entitled to Back to education allowance (BTEA) when college starts in september.

If you have;
    • 234 signing days, (not counting Sundays) built up on Jobseekers immediately before the course starts
    • and as long as you are receiving a social welfare payment immediately prior to starting the course, i.e if your course starts on 1st of Sept you need to be getting a payment from DSP up to and including that date.
    • and if you are aged over 21
    • and have not studied a course at this level before
    you would be very likely to get BTEA. The rate of BTEA you get is usually the same amount as you were receiving on your social welfare payment so if you were getting €100 Jobseekers then you would get €100 BTEA.

- Would it be more benefical for me to apply for local council grants instead of BTEA

The county council no longer provide grants. SUSI is now the sole provider for all new applicants.

The rates of maintenance grant from SUSI depend on how far you live from the college and the income into the family home in the last tax year. The rates range from a minimum of €315 in the academic year to an absolute maximum of €5915.
    To get the maximum amount you need to living at least 45 kilometers from the college, have a total, combined (you and your partners) income in 2013 (including salary and social welfare), of not more than €22,703. You also need to have been in receipt of a social welfare payment for at least 150 days in that period.

You need to see if you are eligible for BTEA and if so, what amount. Then you need to see what rate of grant would apply in your case. See the attached sheet for rates, etc. Then its a matter of seeing which payment will give you more money.

Please note that if you decide to go for the grant and not BTEA you may lose any rent allowance you have. Also you may be reassessed after 3 years for the medical card.
    - If i go through cao route can i still claim the Back to education allowance.

CAO and BTEA have nothing to do with each other as CAO is not part of the education funding mechanism.

The two main forms of support in education are
    • The grant system, operated by SUSI can provide some or all of the following
      • Registration fees which will be €2750 in September 2014.
      • Maintenance grant to students who meet the relevant eligibility criteria of Residency, Nationality and Income and who are not in receipt of BTEA from DSP.
      • Field and study trip support if trips are an integral part of the course
      • Tuition fees where these are not provided from any other source.
    • BTEA from the Dept of Social Protection
      • Provides a weekly payment to students in fulltime education equivalent to their existing rate of social welfare (except in the case of anyone aged under 26 where their payments may be increased)

Please note that if you get BTEA you will NOT be eligible for the Maintenance portion of the SUSI grant although you may still receive the registration fee, field trip support and, if applicable, tuition fees.
    - If im eligible for BTEA do i still have to pay fees

If you have never been to college before you should have an entitlement to free fees under the Free Fee Initiative subject to having lived in Ireland or the EU for 3 out of the last 5 years, having Irish or EU nationality and not having an existing qualification at the same or lower level as the course you are now applying for. Free fees are provided automatically through the college for eligible students. You don't have to apply for these.

Hope this helps a bit.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 steve7448

paperclip and mr saturn thank you for your advice and information. Has helped alot.
    i found your advice both very benefical and has helped clear my mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭abceire

Does time on BTEA count as time worked on the dole to re apply for BTEA next year? I'm doing an access course and get BTEA now until I think it's the end of May. Just wonder would I need to be on dole for 3 months before re applying for a BTEA for a degree course?

abceire wrote: »
    Does time on BTEA count as time worked on the dole to re apply for BTEA next year? I'm doing an access course and get BTEA now until I think it's the end of May. Just wonder would I need to be on dole for 3 months before re applying for a BTEA for a degree course?

It can count towards the 3 months but you need to be on jobseekers immediately before the new course starts as far as i know. This is what determines your rate of BTEA.

Yeah I get that bit, what ever jobseekers you are on is what you get on the BTEA.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Birdster

That's what confuses me too, if you can only get BTEA until May when you finish the access course and your actual 4year degree starts the following September you've a huge gap there of no payment, not being on JA which from my interpretation reading online means you won't be entitled to BTEA again because you haven't been on it for a full 9months............anyone else been in this situation before? I'm considering doing the Mature Student access cert in UL which is one year pre-degree but if I can't get BTEA for the actual degree, there isn't a hope in hell I could afford to go back..........some of us don't have Mammy & Daddy or a partner to support us financially

surely if you got btea you'll be able to get ja then in the summer? my issue is more could i try get work for summer then get ja then get btea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Birdster

surely if you got btea you'll be able to get ja then in the summer? my issue is more could i try get work for summer then get ja then get btea?

Oh right, yeah better get down to your local office and check that one out. Has to be continuous benfefit payment doesn't it, with no breaks? Though I have seen posters in my local office saying they would pause your payment if you got short term work, so that might not effect your claim time?

The can add periods of claim time together if there's no breaks of over a year as far as I know but double check that with DSP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 what-can-ya-do

Hi Guys

Sorry if this question has been asked a million times before but my head is absolutely fried trying to figure it out!

I'm (hopefully) going back to college this September to do primary teaching in Mary I.

My problem is that I have already done a level 8 undergrad in NUIG (arts!!!! biggest regret of my life!!!!) I graduated from this in 2010 so now i'm wondering what my entitlements are for going back to education...if any!!

Am I eligible for SUSI/ student assistant funding etc?? I am working full time at the moment and living at home so saving as much as I can but the costs involved in going back (if i'm entitled to nothing) are unreal! Along with fees i'll be moving down to Limerick so rent/travel/day to day expenses are all going to add up. I will be keeping my job on part-time with abit of luck!

Any help, answers, advice are all welcome!!!! Thanks in advance :confused:

• Advertisement

Hi Guys

Sorry if this question has been asked a million times before but my head is absolutely fried trying to figure.... Thanks in advance :confused:

Hi, From what you said above I don't think you would be eligible for funding for a 2nd level 8 undergraduate qualification. If you have this level of qualification already then you don't meet the criteria for Fee support under the Free Fee Initiative or the Tuition Fee aspect of the SUSI grant. Also SUSI wont provide Maintenance or Registration fees for a second qualification at the same level. You can check info with SUSI here: http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1610

However if you were to do the Graduate Diploma in Primary Education you might be eligible for some tuition fee support for post grad fees. This is a shorter course for people who have an existing level 8 degree and meet certain Leaving Cert requirements in Maths, Irish and English. Details here: http://www.mic.ul.ie/postgradstudies/prospectivestudents/Documents/graddip/2014/Entry%20Requirements%20%20-%20Post%20Grad%202014%20English%20Version%20doc.pdf

The downside of this course is that it may not run every year and applications usually close in December. The course starts usually in February and runs for about 18 months.

I'm doing an access course this year, my last exam is mid May and I'd like to try get a job for the summer. I'm getting BTEA right now and hope to next year too when I start a degree in Trinity. The college is giving us a letter to explain the situation to the Social Walfare, more or less we've a place in Trinity next year unless we totally fail our exams, but I won't know for sure until end of May, and official offers don't come in until the end of July.
    My question is, can I work and then get back on dole to apply for btea in time for college re starting? I've heard there are rule changes now, so you've to be on dole for 8 weeks prior to applying for BTEA, anyone know if this is the case? Just if it was the case it would leave very little time to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 bloodstormaoa

Hi,

I've been travelling for the last 5 months in Asia but before that I was long term unemployed. I'm hoping to return at the end of the month and begin a Lv. 8 at UL in September. Obviously I signed off my jobseekers before I left but will likely have to re-apply when I return, at least while looking for jobs.

My question is whether or not I will meet requirements of the qualifying period for the BTEA? I have been claiming for JB, JA, Casual Work Scheme and BTEA since late 2009... will that be taken into account?

Thank in advance for any help /advice!

I'm doing an access course this year...time to work.

Hi Abceire
    Found this in BTEA operation guidelines. It might cover your circumstances but I'd give BTEA in Carrick on Shannon a ring to be sure:
    BTEA participants who are progressing to the next year of their course or who are progressing from second level to third level approved undergraduate qualifications or from undergraduate qualification to BTEA eligible postgraduate courses will have their BTEA reinstated from the commencement of the new academic year irrespective of whether they were in receipt of an unemployment payment for the summer period. All participants must supply written confirmation from school/college/institute that they have registered as a full-time day student for the new academic year. Participants are also required to notify the Department of cessation of participation on a course.

BTEA HQ:
    Tel:(071) 967 2616
    Locall:1890 927 999

Hi,

I've been travelling for the ....any help /advice!

Hi Bloodstormaoa

Found this in the BTEA operational Guidelines onhttp://www.welfare.ie
    1.11 Linking Periods

Periods spent on BTEA qualifying Social Welfare Payments or on Jobseekers/Illness Benefit credits, that are not broken by more than 12 months (52 weeks), can be used in determining if an applicant satisfies the qualifying period criteria.

You would need to have a DSP payment immediately prior to applying for BTEA for Sept.

But maybe check with BTEA HQ to be sure:
    Tel:(071) 967 2616
    Locall:1890 927 999

I'm on BTEA for another 2 weeks, then college and exams are up. Just wondered do I need to go to social welfare and sign on or does this happen automatically. I was on Dole before the course started, it's a one year. Plan is get a job for summer.

I'm on BTEA for another 2 weeks, then college and exams are up. Just wondered do I need to go to social welfare and sign on or does this happen automatically. I was on Dole before the course started, it's a one year. Plan is get a job for summer.

No it doesn't happen automatically at all. You have to go through the application process for JSA, have your application assessed and a decision made. You would need to clarify the effect of this on BTEA for Sept. If DSP have confirmed that there is unambiguous progression under the guidelines from Access to undergrad in your case then you are fine for Sept but I'd make sure you have that confirmation before working/ giving up JSA.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 bloodstormaoa

paperclip2 wrote: »
    Hi Bloodstormaoa

You would need to have a DSP payment immediately prior to applying for BTEA for Sept.

But maybe check with BTEA HQ to be sure:

Thank you Paperclip2! I'll give them a call to make sure! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bookworm85

Hi all,

I started filling out my application with SUSI this evening. I'm applying as a dependent mature student (I moved home 2 years ago after losing my job and a relationship breakdown).

I'm looking for some help filling out my application and I'm a bit confused. I know earnings are assessed for last year, so I'm wondering if the Personal Details section should reflect my personal details as they were in 2013 too?

The reason I ask is my father passed away early this year (January), so I'm confused as to whether I should include him in the personal information section? When I filled out that section initially I was able to select the N/A option for him in the "Personal Details (Others)" section, but when I advanced through the application to the part where I have to provide details of income, I have no option to include anything that my father earned in 2013 (He worked up until the day before he passed away). So I went back, edited the drop down box to include him as a parent/legal guardian,but it asks for current details, such as current marital status, employment status etc,and there is no option to say that he is deceased.

Obviously I'll get onto SUSI about this in the morning, but I was just wondering if anybody can shed some light on this.

Thanks in advance!

Anyone know, if I'm on BTEA will some college have a scheme or discount for accommodation on campus? Like say Trinity having there internal version of rent allowance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭noisenotmusic

I'm about to finish up on VTOS in a few weeks and will be transferring over to BTEA (hopefully) for next year but I need to sign on for the summer. Does anyone know if I can do this through the JSA online process or do I have to go into the SW office as it's not a regular application? I was on JSA for 2 years before I went onto VTOS.

CAn you use last years susi application to some way fill it in this year, like do you need to re register or can you just log in again?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 kate357

this has probably been asked a few times before, I am on disability allowance for 5 years now, I live with my daughter in our council house, I am going to college next week, I have applied for vtos and susi, am i entitled to both?

kate357 wrote: »
    this has probably been asked a few times before, I am on disability allowance for 5 years now, I live with my daughter in our council house, I am going to college next week, I have applied for vtos and susi, am i entitled to both?

If you keep your DA you can apply for SUSI but if you go onto VTOS you cant. However if you are getting childcare support through the CETS scheme you can only get that while on VTOS. Also if you keep the DA and get the SUSI grant you might lose any rent allowance or rent supplement. Your medical card could also be reviewed.

It might be worthwhile going to Citizens Information to see exactly what money you would be on if you keep DA and get the grant versus what you will get on VTOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,545 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Hi, I am hoping that I can find an answer to my query here. I am an Irish citizen, born in Ireland, educated in Ireland up to and including masters degree level.

I have lived outside Ireland and the EU for the last 3 1/2 years, and it will be four years when my contract is up here in Tokyo.

I would love to return to Ireland to do a PhD, but I am wondering if I will be eligible for European fees or if I will have to pay international student fees.

I had a look at a university website, but it wasn't clear to me if there was a residency criterion and a nationality and previous study criterion, or if it was a residency criterion or nationality and previous study criterion.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭W86indow

hey I just want to say thanks to all the people who helped me on this thread

i started my degree in 2010 and i finished this year with a 1:1
    i was 24 when i went back

worked my ass off in 2nd and 3rd year college 5 days a week and working friday sat sunday
    somehow i made it work - fecking delighted now

my advice to the new mature students -
    1. don't worry too much
    2. be organised - forms etc enquire enquire enquire!!!
    3. Do it for yourself - forget everyone and everything else and throw yourself into college work - it will be worth it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭W86indow

Hello , I am really sorry for your loss

I think that you should be entitled to the grant - as you are over 25 I am guessing by your nickname there

so you should be classed as an independent mature applicant even though you are living at home - it is a bit like the social they cannot go by your parents earnings if you are over 25 , it sucks being at home - but no other choice at the moment

ring susi if you are unsure - but i think this should be the case -

it should go on your earnings last year

Bookworm85 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I started filling out my application with SUSI this evening. I'm applying as a dependent mature student (I moved home 2 years ago after losing my job and a relationship breakdown).

I'm looking for some help filling out my application and I'm a bit confused. I know earnings are assessed for last year, so I'm wondering if the Personal Details section should reflect my personal details as they were in 2013 too?

The reason I ask is my father passed away early this year (January), so I'm confused as to whether I should include him in the personal information section? When I filled out that section initially I was able to select the N/A option for him in the "Personal Details (Others)" section, but when I advanced through the application to the part where I have to provide details of income, I have no option to include anything that my father earned in 2013 (He worked up until the day before he passed away). So I went back, edited the drop down box to include him as a parent/legal guardian,but it asks for current details, such as current marital status, employment status etc,and there is no option to say that he is deceased.

Obviously I'll get onto SUSI about this in the morning, but I was just wondering if anybody can shed some light on this.

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭grasshopper1

osarusan wrote: »
    Hi, I am hoping that I can find an answer to my query here. I am an Irish citizen, born in Ireland, educated in Ireland up to and including masters degree level. I have lived outside Ireland and the EU for the last 3 1/2 years, and it will be four years when my contract is up here in Tokyo.
    I would love to return to Ireland to do a PhD, but I am wondering if I will be eligible for European fees or if I will have to pay international student fees.
    I had a look at a university website, but it wasn't clear to me if there was a residency criterion and a nationality and previous study criterion, or if it was a residency criterion or nationality and previous study criterion.

Konichiwa sarusan, As far as I know 'free fees' are only for undergraduate, and yes, you must have lived in Ireland or Europe for at least three years before applying as an undergrad to get 'free fees'.
    I'm not too sure on the higher levels, but I think you must pay, though there are more ways that one to skin a cat. Might be worth your while to email the universities you are interested in asking for more details.
    I agree, very difficult to really comprehend what they mean

Best,

grasshopper1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

Originally Posted by Bookworm85 viewpost.gif Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

W86indow wrote: »
    Hello , I am really sorry for your loss

I think that you should be entitled to the grant - as you are over 25 I am guessing by your nickname there

so you should be classed as an independent mature applicant even though you are living at home - it is a bit like the social they cannot go by your parents earnings if you are over 25 , it sucks being at home - but no other choice at the moment

ring susi if you are unsure - but i think this should be the case -

it should go on your earnings last year

Firstly, Sorry for your loss.

As you are living in the family home you are a Mature Dependent and must apply as such. if you cannot select that your father is deceased put a note on the end of the form in the comments box.
    You will then be assessed as a person with a change of circumstances for 2014 and income for this year will be taken into account and your fathers income removed.

Best of luck with your application.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

Originally Posted by osarusan View Post

Hi, I am hoping that I can find an answer to my query here. I am an Irish citizen, born in Ireland, educated in Ireland up to and including masters degree level. I have lived outside Ireland and the EU for the last 3 1/2 years, and it will be four years when my contract is up here in Tokyo.
    I had a look at a university website, but it wasn't clear to me if there was a residency criterion and a nationality and previous study criterion, or if it was a residency criterion or nationality and previous study criterion

You must be resident in Ireland, EU, EEA or Switzerland for 3 of the last 5 years to be eligible for any student grant from Ireland.

The Post Graduate Grant Assistance is €2000 fees contribution or up to €6270 if you qualify for a special rate.

Advertisement