Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gardai proposals to ban firearms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Under-14 year olds. Not under-8 year olds. There were a few 8-year-olds in the story, but the 670 is all the u-14s.
    (And it's like our training cert - they can't own the shotgun or use it without supervision till they're 18)

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

Sparks wrote: »
    Under-14 year olds. Not under-8 year olds. There were a few 8-year-olds in the story, but the 670 is all the u-14s.
    (And it's like our training cert - they can't own the shotgun or use it without supervision till they're 18)

Sky news are wrong so!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

bpb101 wrote: »
    right so what have we got here, 7 pistols , 1 semi auto rifle (lightly a .22 ) and a 70 pump or semi auto shotguns of what they want to get rid of.
    I sense there a few typos(in entering data) 45 pump action rifles robbed compared to 25 pump action shotguns. Unlighlty But however

so By wrecking a sport of 100,000 people in ireland , you will stop 80 firearms in 4 years that 20 a year firearms from being robbed. id say if you go a bit further and made shotguns owners get safes(maybe even just for semi autos and pump because thats their problem) your down to what 10 a year. Fantastic idea, people will sleep well tonight(while 20,000 will have thousands robbed off them by legislation)
    :

So why not just equalise the situation and make everyone who has a shotgun or rifle get a safe?And not pick on a particular type?? FS ! You would swear a 100 euros was going to break everyone and put them into the poor house and make them sell their wives and daughters bodies,they way some people are carrying on about it.
    It really grinds my gears this pretty biased bit of legislation.Ah well if you only have ONE gun a 10 euro trigger lock and the bits hidden is grand.By rights then if I only have one pistol I should be entitled to the same legislation...I can see the CS answer to that one !!Starts with F and ends a word later with F.
    But thats just me.:rolleyes:

Anyways,So now we have the offical skewed facts and figures that still make an utter mockery of AGS claims...What now?Back to the comittee?Back to our Reps,TDs and whatnot?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Grizzly 45 wrote: »

Anyways,So now we have the offical skewed facts and figures that still make an utter mockery of AGS claims...What now?Back to the comittee?Back to our Reps,TDs and whatnot?

I'm still not confident that these proposals will go away.

I wonder does Finian give a fcuk that the figures are pie in the sky?

I hope he does but I won't hold my breath.

In work, if I based a proposal on those figures, knowing that they are bollox, promoted them as gospel to the media and made a c**t out of my boss, I'd be fcuked out the door in record time.

It would be laughable if it wasn't so serious.

• Advertisement

Aren't you a bright sparks!

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I'm still not confident that these proposals will go away.
    Hard to see them surviving in their current form, but I doubt the motive behind them is going anywhere anytime soon.
    I wonder does Finian give a fcuk that the figures are pie in the sky?
    I hope he does but I won't hold my breath.
    I seriously doubt it. But he's not the Chairman of the Committee.
    In work, if I based a proposal on those figures, knowing that they are bollox, promoted them as gospel to the media and made a c**t out of my boss, I'd be fcuked out the door in record time.
    You, me, and everyone who can legitimately call themselves a professional (and most of those who can't as well).
    It would be laughable if it wasn't so serious.
    Yup :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

crusier wrote: »
    Sky news are wrong so!

...is that surprising?... :confused:

extremetaz wrote: »
    ...is that surprising?... :confused:

Did I say it was?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

crusier wrote: »
    Sky news are wrong so!
    Nope. Just your interpretation of what they said, apparently.

In the article it says children as young as 8, but it clearly says 670 licenses were issued to under-14s. So this:
    cruiser wrote:
    670 firearm certificates issued to under 8 year olds in the UK in the last 5 years
    Would be your mistake.

However none of this has anything to do with the Garda proposals so back on topic.

If anyone is still writing e-mails now would be the time to draw attention to the errors and farcical statistics. Especially the ones highlighted above:
    • Grenades,
    • Automatic firearms
    • Toy guns
    • Replicas
    • Safes
    • "Other"
    • Ammo
    • etc
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Anyone get word from the IFA about our "Full Auto" firearms? Did they realise their mistake yet, retract it or are they standing behind their assertion?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Just o a side note...
    This Dail comittee hasnt been set up exclusively to deal with firearms[as some of us might have thought ,inc me] but a range of issues of pending legislation
    Correct title is Dail justice comittee
    Seems they have dealt with or are still dealing with things from ;

Garda abuse of suspects in custody ,the blasphemy law,The SF/IRA Martina Cahill affair,The Guieran report on Garda mishandling of phone tapping,the "Sex Crime legislation" The firearms issue,The "Brighter evenings" Bill[Proposed by not so bright TD's:rolleyes:]To name just a few....

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Cass wrote: »
    Anyone get word from the IFA about our "Full Auto" firearms? Did they realise their mistake yet, retract it or are they standing behind their assertion?

Dont think we need hold our breath there....If we dont see it within a 14 day period ,we wont see it at all.

Hmmm apprently some genius in the IFA countryside recommended these proposals as "it will allow people to apply for CF pistols again."And prevent "fad purchases of handguns" And "automatic" doesnt mean semi automatic rifles, at all as they DO know the difference between the two,as their members do have semi auto shotguns,but they or at least theirone of their PR men insists therre are 160 fully automatic rifles in Ireland.Co incidently there are 160 Semi auto sporting rifles here as well...
    Whether this source is 100% genuine is another question as I got this 3rd hand, so cevat emptor applies here..But if it is,someone has never read the firearms acts in the IFA who drew this up,or they have had abit too much slurry gas blowing in the office window.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭knockon

...What now?Back to the comittee?Back to our Reps,TDs and whatnot?

I am just contemplating what we can do personally,

a) Contact TD's again and ask them..."now with these AGS figures" - what are you going to do about this?
    b) Personal complaint to GSOC? Especially..Remember the working group and the reason it was set up...."The Commissioner expressed concern" etc. Someone has to be held to account. The Management of AGS looks like they have made a serious error in judgement highlighted by their own PULSE figures and descriptions.
    c) The Minister, she wont be too happy if their is enough noise made about this. What is the best way for us to do this.

Anyone else got any ideas or suggestions? We seem to have had a very good week. Time to build on the momentum? I know some people said not to go looking to burn some guy in the Phoenix Park at the stake and we have to work with the "other side" in the future but in the name of Jesus we can only take so much. The Primetime programme will be key and if we can highlight and emphasise Garda (Management) misbehaviour (they don't even have to be there) and get that out in the press, then that would be exactly what we need. No point sitting down across the table from people who don't give two Fuc$s about law abiding people and the kind of muck they throw at us.

Whats the betting the Prime Time programme on shooting is being quietly "shelved" as we speak as words are spoken in those who make decisions manicured ears? Couldnt have those red neck illiterate gun nuts[I reckon dry roast salted and honey glazed myself] been given airtime for their cause,especially if they are winning their arguements,its just not the way things should happen in the world of RTE and them making mincemeat of politicans and AGS on the airwaves in a non shouty way with cold hard facts just isnt in the script book.

But yes if we do go back to our TDs and what not, print out take the pie chart along its one of the best visual aids as to what our point is.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Whats the betting the Prime Time programme on shooting is being quietly "shelved" as we speak as words are spoken in those who make decisions manicured ears?

I hear that it is to be shown this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

The fact that misleading information was put out in the public domain by the likes of RTE, needs to be addressed.

It's time people started making much more of a stand.

Regretfully, we've only one Des Croften, when the truth is we need a hundred of him to help counteract some of the people we have in politics and journalism that don't know what they are talking about.

While I'm not quite ready to see the NRA come over to Ireland and get involved in our politics, we do need politicans and influential lobby groups to represent the interests of the legitimate sporting community.

It's still not to late to put pressure on your local politicans, not to mention members of the Justice Committee folks. So keep sending those letters and emails.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

Do you think they want to bring in harsh laws. Just for having a gun?

Makes no sense to want to rid licensed responsible people of their guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

househero wrote: »
    Do you think they want to bring in harsh laws. Just for having a gun?

Makes no sense to want to rid licensed responsible people of their guns.

they have done it before in 2008 this is just round two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

garrettod wrote: »
    The fact that misleading information was put out in the public domain by the likes of RTE, needs to be addressed.

It's time people started making much more of a stand.

Regretfully, we've only one Des Croften, when the truth is we need a hundred of him to help counteract some of the people we have in politics and journalism that don't know what they are talking about.

While I'm not quite ready to see the NRA come over to Ireland and get involved in our politics, we do need politicans and influential lobby groups to represent the interests of the legitimate sporting community.

It's still not to late to put pressure on your local politicans, not to mention members of the Justice Committee folks. So keep sending those letters and emails.

Um... The NRA are already here and have been for years... NRAI. As for des Crofton, I think there is some law in quantum physics that prevents more than one existing in the same time/space :)

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭hurlsey

Realistically given the disingenuous nature of the information provided by AGS, where do we go from here?? I assume a raft of questions in the dail to Minister Fitzgerald would highlight how ''mislead'' she was!!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Deaf git

bravestar wrote: »
    Um... The NRA are already here and have been for years... NRAI. As for des Crofton, I think there is some law in quantum physics that prevents more than one existing in the same time/space :)

If memory seves you are referring to the 'Von Pauli Exclusion Principle'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

bravestar wrote: »
    Um... The NRA are already here and have been for years... NRAI. ....

Hi,

Are you saying the that the NRAI in Ireland & the NRA in the USA, are connected ?

Thanks,

G.

Apart from the initals... No...same as the UK NRA isnt connected,nor are the National Roads Authorithy...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Roundpack

Firearms review on Prime Time this Tuesday at 9.30pm

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭black powder colt

Roundpack wrote: »
    Firearms review on Prime Time this Tuesday at 9.30pm
    Judgeing from the advert i would say we are about to lose the public relations war not that we ever stood a chance anyway but who knows maybe RTE will surprise us all with a fact based unbiased report that doesn't spend 20 minuets comparing us to American rednecks

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭LikeTheseOdds

Judgeing from the advert

This available online? Do you have a link for it by any chance? I'm trying the rte website but can't find anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

Lads , for this debate one thing that has to be done is everybody to keep the same hashtags
    People should be tweeting to @RTE_PrimeTime and using the #rtept. We should also have another one that identify the topic . something like #firearmslaw may be a bit long

Thoughts???

• Advertisement

#ireland and #guns are the most generic ones.
    Still searching for that ad, but given the last time, I'm somewhat... wary.

Advertisement