Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 World Cup - Day 22 - Pak v SA, Ire v Zim

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Dramatic stuff. Great win.

A bit of weather would be nice against India! But let's back the boys against Pakistan. Some of the bowlers need to tighten the line and length though. We need a real quick though if we want to compete against the top batsmen.

I wouldn't write the UAE off against the Windies either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

bilston wrote: »
    I wouldn't write the UAE off against the Windies either!

Showed us that they can score runs! We were luckier to get out of that game I thought, than the one today, close and all as it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Skid X wrote: »
    I don't think that boundary catch could have been given as a six, unless Mooney called it. It could have been a shadow, there was too much uncertainty.

Great win all the same, nothing like a handy win where the result in never in doubt :)

The boys in the studio seemed to be talking about the shadow causing an optical illusion. Wishful thinking I suspect.

One theory might be if there was a bit of a slope to the boundary then Mooney touching the ground beside the boundary may have caused the boundary marker to move as he lifted his foot up. Again that might be wishful thinking on my part.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

KevIRL wrote: »
    They are still far more likely to qualify though...

Yes, they have on paper what are very winnable matches, but all they have beaten so far is Scotland.

OK they have Australia, a very hot New Zealand team and Sri Lanka who are top class.
    All the same Ireland has beaten two test nations so far, England might qualify by beating one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Palz

Skid X wrote: »
    I don't think that boundary catch could have been given as a six, unless Mooney called it. It could have been a shadow, there was too much uncertainty.

Great win all the same, nothing like a handy win where the result in never in doubt :)

I thought we got away with one. Commentator noticed movement of the padding and its hard to argue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭Brian017

Palz wrote: »
    I thought we got away with one. Commentator noticed movement of the padding and its hard to argue.

I think Taylor walking over the ropes saved us. Did I read a rule some while back once you leave the field of play i.e the boundary ropes you can't come back? Or did I just imagine that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Palz

If we get 4th place in Pool B, who will we face in quarter final ?

is it the winner Group A ?

That looks difficult

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

That looks difficult

we're going to have a difficult game no matter what. Just to qualify is what we want!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭Brian017

That looks difficult

To be fair, any QF is gonna be difficult for Ireland. Considering at the start of the tournament it was likely to be one of Aus, NZ, SL or Eng. Ireland's target was to make the QFs and if they do its been a good WC for them IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Mallagio

We'll have achieved everything we wanted to do by getting to the quarter finals - anything else is a massive bonus.

Just hope we don't lose out by a hairline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    The thing is the WI rr is better then ours now. If we lose then our nrr can only be affected negatively. If WI win theres can go up. There is no way we catch them on nrr

Yep..... U r absolutely right ..... I got that horribly wrong!

Ireland will need a win against either Ind or Pak to get thro.....

Pakistan suddenly looking unstoppable ..... Ireland should fancy their chances against India who might experiment with the playing XI having already qualified

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Got away with one today. Williams too honest for his own good, all for batters that walk but never in cases like that. Zim threw it away at the end, they'll have nightmares from that last over. Pakistan starting to find form but that's for another day, two points is all that matters for today.
    Rjd2 wrote: »
    The most overrated side in ODI cricket, look like beasts when the pressure is off especially against the smaller sides, but in a chase like this, they are awful.

Chokers.
    It's such a shame because there are so many cricketers in that side I want to see do well. They've been unconvincing so far but the potential is there so I just hope they get it together.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Good to win that one, but 2 obvious weaknesses in that performance. Porterfield slow as a funeral. Batted 20 overs for 26. Kevin o'Brien should not be bowling. Other than that it was an excellent performance. 3 wins in the world cup is a fantastic achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

Good to win that one, but 2 obvious weaknesses in that performance. Porterfield slow as a funeral. Batted 20 overs for 26. Kevin o'Brien should not be bowling. Other than that it was an excellent performance. 3 wins in the world cup is a fantastic achievement.

Is there a realistic way to fit another seamer in the side though? Presuming none of the top 6 can realistically be dropped, O'Brien and Stirling have to get at least 10 overs between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

As the lads in studio showed it's very easy to argue. They sided with it being a shadow. The images . . . ahem . . . I was watching weren't of high enough quality to have a definite opinion but it certainly wasn't clearcut. If it was clearcut there would jave been no plausibility to someone presumably fairly neutral like Marcus North being ok with it being out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    One more win and we are in. Or a point against India if it's rained off would get us through

Weather forecast says no unfortunately. But who knows? Maybe India will rest a few players or rotate a bit having qualified...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Gillespy wrote: »
    Got away with one today. Williams too honest for his own good, all for batters that walk but never in cases like that. Zim threw it away at the end, they'll have nightmares from that last over. Pakistan starting to find form but that's for another day, two points is all that matters for today.

It's such a shame because there are so many cricketers in that side I want to see do well. They've been unconvincing so far but the potential is there so I just hope they get it together.

I like most of them as well, the only player in the team that comes across as anything close to unlikable is Philander. However one bad egg is not to shabby.

The problem is and I know this I am repeating myself is everyone knows their weakness, get them to chase and a few wickets down and they panic.

This wasn't a knock out but quite a few of them looked terrified.

Heck even Ab only needed 32 of 89 and he gave it away, if that was Maxwell or Afridi, people would be going mental. I love the bloke as well, but I am shocked by how little criticism he is getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Figsy32 wrote: »
    Is there a realistic way to fit another seamer in the side though? Presuming none of the top 6 can realistically be dropped, O'Brien and Stirling have to get at least 10 overs between them.

You are correct. Maybe I should have said he should not be bowling with the game on the line. Could sneak in 4 or 5 overs in the middle overs. Not at the death. We also need as many batsmen as possible because totals between 280 and 320 are needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭axe2grind

Wow glad I was out to miss this thread :)
    Great result.
    I realise the bowling gets a lot of criticism, but note the following.

Zim bowled 8 wides and 3 no balls
    Ireland only 2 wides and one no ball

That is outstanding! and is more than the difference in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Cricket fan

Now that I've recovered, here are my thoughts.

Batting

Bar Stirling and Porterfield was outstanding. Balbirnie excellent, Joyce brilliant,Wilson,Kevin Mooney all had little cameos. Cant complain here except maybe re:porterfield taking so many deliveries.

Bowling

Improved IMHO. Mooney bowled well, Cusack was absolutely outstanding,Dockrell decent, McBrine was useful if unthreatening. Kevin did alright by his standards in the middle overs and he does create the odd chance off his bowling early on (Amla dropped off his first ball last game too). Picked up 2 vital wickets. His death bowling is pretty bad but everyone knows he isnt a death bowler, unfortunately with our lack of resources someone has to do it and Kevin has been given the job.

Fielding was good and we took all our chances bar one very tough catch. Better than SA game.

All in all, an excellent batting display, with some good pace bowling at the start. Struggled to contain the runs in the middle overs but the pitch was flat and not that difficult to bat on. Point is we scrapped away and some good ground fielding ended up being the difference as on many occasions we turned 2's into 1's and 4's into 3's.

Cusack turned in an excellent death bowling display too, something we've badly needed.

Changes for India? Cant think of any, I really want Young to get a game but I cant justify dropping anyone from todays side based on the performance. Onwards and upwards anyway, and lets just pray it rains for the WI vs UAE game :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,508 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

axe2grind wrote: »
    Wow glad I was out to miss this thread :)
    Great result.
    I realise the bowling gets a lot of criticism, but note the following.

Zim bowled 8 wides and 3 no balls
    Ireland only 2 wides and one no ball

That is outstanding! and is more than the difference in the end.

The Wilson wicket was a front foot no ball as well, missed by the umps

KevIRL wrote: »
    The Wilson wicket was a front foot no ball as well, missed by the umps
    Is it not standard for 3rd umpire to review all wickets for NB?

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

axe2grind wrote: »
    Is it not standard for 3rd umpire to review all wickets for NB?

I think the on-field umpire refers it if he thinks it's close.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Even if we don't qualify 1 win was expected, 2 wins we hoped for, but to get 3 wins is a great achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

Gillespy wrote: »

Yep....If there was one player I'd want to see winning the world cup its AB DeVilliers

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Mallagio wrote: »
    We'll have achieved everything we wanted to do by getting to the quarter finals - anything else is a massive bonus.

Just hope we don't lose out by a hairline.
    Even if they don't get to the QFs it will arguably be because other results have conspired against them. Wherever they finish I think this team should be very proud of what it's already achieved in this tournament (and hopefully generate enough interest to ensure Malahide in May is sold out)

booth70 wrote: »
    Surprise Surprise ...... Dreadful stuff from SA with the bat

SA need to get their team combo right first if they hope to progress deep in the competition

They'll be thankful that are playing UAE next .....

AB and Roussow bowling 10 between them is simply not on ..... That's like taking the mickey against quality sides

The problem with South Africa is their fifth bowling option is Duminy who while not awful is always going to struggle outside Asia, and they don't have a sixth bowling option to fill in when he gets smacked around.

They could pick Parnell, but he is erratic with bat and ball, Beherdien can somewhat bowl but can't bat, and Vern isn't good enough to bat in the top 7 in ODI cricket.

Its a shame that it never worked out for Albie Morkel, and of course Kallis retired as well has hurt them hugely.

The obvious option a few years ago when Ryan Ten Doeschete was begging to play for South Africa, they showed no interest.

He would have been the missing piece, awesome finisher and can bowl as well, a player they are desperately missing.

Yes they are still a quality side with some all time greats, but its such a monumental hindrance really the lack of balance.

Beasty wrote: »
    Even if they don't get to the QFs it will arguably be because other results have conspired against them. Wherever they finish I think this team should be very proud of what it's already achieved in this tournament (and hopefully generate enough interest to ensure Malahide in May is sold out)

Agreed, even if India and Pakistan were to hammer us, it still shouldn't take away to much what has been a magnificent effort despite numerous hurdles.

We were starved of international cricket for the last few years unlike quite a few of the test sides who played each other in countless series.

We lost Rankin a few years ago to England who was our best bowler, then of course Trent retired and Murtagh got injured to cap it all off.

It might seem incredibly melodramatic but were we to qualify even if it was due solely to the West Indies v UAE game been rained out, it still rank as one of our finest sporting achievements of the last couple of decades.

Heck, incredibly proud of the lads no matter what happens next week.:)

but where to qualify even if it was due solely to the West Indies v UAE game been rained out,
    I haven't ruled out the possibility of UAE doing number on WI!
    UAE are good enough and WI are often bad enough.

Fairytale for both UAE and IReland :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Its a shame that it never worked out for Albie Morkel, and of course Kallis retired as well has hurt them hugely

The hole is Kallis and to be honest, who and where would you pick another 5th bowler when Kallis was available in the past? It's got to be Kallis every time, he's arguably the best cricketer ever - it's going to take time to fill the gap.

What has happened to Tsotsobe, not picked in 12 months

Advertisement