Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Truth about Craft Beers...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Craft Beer is one of those amusing things whereby the mongos that get so worked up about what is essentially just different, more complex beers (very much like music, food, wine etc) look far more intolerant and idiotic than the supposed fart-smelling hipsters to whom they are taking offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Macro beers are brewed to appeal to as many folk as possible which means you get the bland taste/flavor you can set your watch by (delete as appropriate).

Micro beers are brewed for those who want something different meaning that the taste is a bit like marmite

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

P_1 wrote: »
    Macro beers are brewed to appeal to as many folk as possible which means you get the bland taste/flavor you can set your watch by (delete as appropriate).

Micro beers are brewed for those who want something different meaning that the taste is a bit like marmite
    And the thing about micro beers is that there's such a wide variation in tastes meaning that there's something for everyone. Anybody who can't find a micro beer that they enjoy is either extremely fussy or is just an idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dog of Tears

I believe my subjective opinion is a universal truth and wish to argue with similar minded folks.

Have I come to the right thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭buried

I believe my subjective opinion is a universal truth and wish to argue with similar minded folks.

Have I come to the right thread?

Indeed you have! Would you like a beer?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I didn't say I don't like it, I just don't care. And your analogy is pretty stupid.

It's actually an OK analogy if a but vague.

You're saying you go out and pay about a fiver for a pint of something that you can't taste but want to get pissed with.

Others are saying they go out and pay a relatively small amount more money to get pissed drinking something with a more complex taste.

Whatever you want to drink is fine but why the constant need to denigrate a slightly more (so called) premium taste for anything as an affectation?

What's weird about the craft thing is that I know people that constantly moan abut craft beer snobbery but by that silly yardstick they would be complete snobs when it came to their so called tastes in music, food and clothes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Im sticking with the poteen anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

Banana bread beer, yum. It's almost an alcopop.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

I find macro beers bland and causing too many hangovers. If I'm going to be paying that sort of money, I want some choice, of local beers, in bottles - the taste is nearly always worth the experience and sure, we're getting the alcohol in the end.
    --
    Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. (BF)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Hope he gives you a discount

I got the Bishops Finger too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭DainBramage

Reminds me of the Real Ale Twats from viz

http://viz.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/050_viz207_twats.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I got the Bishops Finger too.

Me too, it made me spit fire,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Lol @ someone referencing hipsters in 2015. It's not 2009 any more!

You are quite right. Hipsters have changed a lot since 2009. Now they wear skinny jeans, lumberjack shirts or waistcoats and sport beards and twirly moustaches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭mylefttesticle

All beer is disgusting! I often think if a restaurant sold beer in a soup bowl with a spoon the amount of complaints it would get would be unreal as it would be disgusting thing to serve, yet people spend up to 6 quid for a pint of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Calibos wrote: »
    As a bud drinker, the day I stop being asked how I can drink 'that piss-water' is the day I stop thinking all craft beer drinkers are pretentious hipster ****.

Yeah, Bud agree with you. Marketing want you to be proud of drinking their "brewed the hard way" pisswater sorry, the only "beechwood aged" beer (because everyone else knows its largely pointless as Bud soak the chips to remove any flavor and it is really just a shortcut to make fizzier beer) and continue mocking the 'hipster ****'. After all why actually learn anything about what you put in your body?

I guess I should just STFU and drink my Pumpkin Peach beer. Oh wait, what's that? Anheuser Busch own a craft brewery. And what? No! They make a Pumpkin Peach beer. Huh? Well. Budweiser, you pretentious hipster ****!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

All beer is disgusting! I often think if a restaurant sold beer in a soup bowl with a spoon the amount of complaints it would get would be unreal as it would be disgusting thing to serve, yet people spend up to 6 quid for a pint of it!

Sure go to your local and order a pint of oxtail, be grand!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 Lakefrio

Most people don't like the taste of beer so craft beer just confuses them.

Wang King wrote: »
    Sure go to your local and order a pint of oxtail, be grand!

The point is and wait for it, I wouldn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

So that's beer, soup...anything else you don't like?

MadsL wrote: »
    So that's beer, soup...anything else you don't like?

Soup I like, it usually tastes good and is nutritious and as a food can be vital for living, beer on the other hand serves no purpose really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,065 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Soup I like, it usually tastes good and is nutritious and as a food can be vital for living, beer on the other hand serves no purpose really.

Well that's an interesting point. Beer used to serve a purpose, but it wasn't necessarily for flavour. Beer used to be safer to drink than water. It was brewed to sanitise water so it was about 0.5% alcohol and was consumed throughout the day. In fact it was probably an advantage if it could be as plain as possible.

I have a mate who doesn't like any pints. His preference would be cider with blackcurrant but if he's in a big group he doesn't have the blackcurrant. He thinks it's masculine to drink pints so he does it. He is an example of a fella who would push the market towards bland neutral flavours like the household names. Plenty of them out there.

I don't see the household names disappearing so why do people feel bullied by people who like craft beers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Ah

Well that's an interesting point. Beer used to serve a purpose, but it wasn't necessarily for flavour. Beer used to be safer to drink than water. It was brewed to sanitise water so it was about 0.5% alcohol and was consumed throughout the day. In fact it was probably an advantage if it could be as plain as possible.

I have a mate who doesn't like any pints. His preference would be cider with blackcurrant but if he's in a big group he doesn't have the blackcurrant. He thinks it's masculine to drink pints so he does it. He is an example of a fella who would push the market towards bland neutral flavours like the household names. Plenty of them out there.

I don't see the household names disappearing so why do people feel bullied by people who like craft beers?

Purely to hydrate your body but still not good for you! I drink Cider and only Bulmers which I quite like but that's about it.

Wang King wrote: »
    Ah

Ive nothing against beer btw just don't think its flavoursome.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,065 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Purely to hydrate your body but still not good for you! I drink Cider and only Bulmers which I quite like but that's about it.

But it did serve a purpose. To hydrate without harmful parasites and bacteria. It was probably better to be bland and easy to drink. Most people prefer bland pints to this day.

Craft beers serve the purpose of providing different flavours of beer.

Besides that I think we underestimate the impact of image control when choosing a Drink. It's all tied up with masculinity and image so (even Bulmers) serves that purpose

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

I see a green and gold dress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

A lot of people don't realise that at one point Ireland had hundreds of breweries. In a way the rise of craft beer is a return to that, rather than being an imported hipster thing.

Of course I've found some that I hated. That's part of the fun though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Like most new "different" things that become popular it draws out the very worst part of the Irish character.

That being the opinion that anyone who does anything different and who dares to stray from the flock automatically has notions about themselves, is a snob and thinks they are better than everyone else.

It is a great way to spot the ignorant cretin mentality that is rife in this country.
    anncoates wrote: »
    Craft Beer is one of those amusing things whereby the mongos that get so worked up about what is essentially just different, more complex beers (very much like music, food, wine etc) look far more intolerant and idiotic than the supposed fart-smelling hipsters to whom they are taking offence.
    That's the kind of thing I'm talking about lads. If you like your beer, drink it and enjoy it, there's no need for all the nastiness.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I'm very happy to see more and more craft breweries popping up. Of course I don't like all their beers, same as I don't like all wines. But it's fantastic to finally have some decent choices in pubs, and to be able to try new flavours.

I'm originally from a small town in the middle of nowhere in Germany - 70k inhabitants, but 10 breweries in the town alone, with every village in the area having at least one or two breweries each.
    So when I first came to Ireland a little over a decade ago, I was taken aback that a country that so obviously likes its drink should have so few options on tab in its pubs. Couldn't get my head around that at all.

As someone pointed out, there used to be thousands of breweries here, same as in most other European countries, but they had become monopolised. So this return to a more diverse, open, interesting scene is something I find rather exciting to observe right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

MadsL wrote: »
    Yeah, Bud agree with you. Marketing want you to be proud of drinking their "brewed the hard way" pisswater sorry, the only "beechwood aged" beer (because everyone else knows its largely pointless as Bud soak the chips to remove any flavor and it is really just a shortcut to make fizzier beer) and continue mocking the 'hipster ****'. After all why actually learn anything about what you put in your body?

I guess I should just STFU and drink my Pumpkin Peach beer. Oh wait, what's that? Anheuser Busch own a craft brewery. And what? No! They make a Pumpkin Peach beer. Huh? Well. Budweiser, you pretentious hipster ****!!

Funny how Budweiser goes to all that trouble of promoting the "beechwood aging" process, but if a so called craft beer did the same it would be considered hipster from a certain bunch of people, never mind the fact that this process is meaningless because all taste has been taken away from the wood anyway before the beer hits it.

In that ad you posted Bud claim to be proud to be a macro, yet AB-InBev who own Bud are buying up independent breweries, for example Goose Island. They also own Leffe, but buy any these beers the ownership is hidden. Something to hide maybe?

The macro's are getting scared, just look at Coors buying Rebel Red in Ireland, but hidding the ownership. Coors also try and produce their own "craft" beer such as Blue Moon but they are clever in hiding their true ownership to trick people into thinking they are drinking something independent.

The problem with macro's buying out small independent breweries is that it reduces choice, but it also means that the new ownership can change the receipe into a blander one to appeal to more drinkers.

Advertisement