Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wales vs Ireland buildup [MOD WARNING POST #8]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

A giant marquee with Warren G's face on it will be erected
    Murray and Smith are totally different players imo, I think it's difficult enough to compare them. Both suit the team they play in fairly perfectly.

On Schmidt/Hansen, I'm not going to declare Schmidt the best coach in the world but I think he definitely has a quite inferior group of players to pick from and he's worked wonders. Anyway it hardly matters.

FWIW I think Schmidt is probably the better coach, but the real test will be when Ireland next lose, especially if badly. That is where the best coaches make their money.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Swiwi. wrote: »
    FWIW I think Schmidt is probably the better coach, but the real test will be when Ireland next lose, especially if badly. That is where the best coaches make their money.

So I presume Hansen is penniless? :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Did someone say recession over?

*re-pops collar*

errlloyd wrote: »
    So I presume Hansen is penniless? :pac::pac::pac::pac:

Not sure what to say

1) He made a packet after 01.12.12
    2) Pure love. He coaches for pure love.
    3) You can catch Steve down at the welfare queue each Monday

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Neil3030 wrote: »
    ...McQuaid is dead...

Sadly not!:pac:

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Flipper22

sydthebeat wrote: »
    just had a sneaky look over on gwlad forum and have seen these beauties

i must admit ... some of those comments have me flabbergasted... i dont see anything about our ruck play to be considers as such constant cheats??
    do they not know you can ruck beyond the tackle, if you drive the first rucker back you move the offside line AND the gate back...... and flood the area then??? the ABs have been doing that for years.....

It's utter nonsense, but in fairness you'll see similar on certain Irish forums (not generally on this one which is well moderated). What's most notable about those comments is the lack of any detail or examples.

Flipper22 wrote: »
    not generally on this one which is well moderated

What are you after...?

What are you after...?

Haha. I'm just hoping Ak. and the lads might sign my Ireland jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

It's utter nonsense, but in fairness you'll see similar on certain Irish forums (not generally on this one which is well moderated). What's most notable about those comments is the lack of any detail or examples.
    I actually thought during the English game that Ireland entered the ruck from the sides in a lot of cases and said as much in the match thread. However, we were let away with it (most refs wouldn't) so why not. Peyper let the attacking teams away with a lot during that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I'm hoping I'm young enough that my psyche is not beyond repair from growing up on this pessimistic little rock. In two weeks we go to a venue, where historically we have been more successful than we have been at home, against the most predictable one-dimensional team in major rugby, who are coached by a man fueled solely by ego and bluster, who throughout his career has not displayed the slightest bit of recourse when his neanderthal gameplan doesn't work. We take with us the best coach, 9 and 10 on the planet, and a superior scrum, set-piece and maul. Our team are unbeaten in 10 games, playing out of their skin in terms of intensity, precision and castrating teams of their every identifiable strength; all the while polishing off the development of an unrivaled aerial attacking game that plays to our unique sporting cultural strengths...

... and yet people still doubt that we will win? People, I understand humility is a virtue, but we are surely demonstrating more of a pathological cultural mindset here if we can't summarize these available facts and arrive at the empirically supported conclusion that we will win, and that we will win comfortably.

Join me, Irishpersons! Come with me on a path toward the light!! The penal laws are gone, McQuaid is dead, the recession is over AND WE ARE GOING TO BASH THE RAREBIT OUT OF WALES!

A welsh coach fueled solely by ego and bluster? His record would suggest otherwise.

Best 10 yes undoubtedly in the world, the rest mm not so sure.

If you watch the French game the Welsh front row looked far better balanced and more powerful, dont forget they had the edge over the SA front row with that line up as well.
    The Welsh lineout has started to look stronger than it has in a long time.
    The welsh backrow have outplayed their opponents in all but the second half of the English match where everyone seemed to go walkabout, if they continue in this vein they could again have the beating of their opponents, which in turn lets Wales play their 'one-dimensional' rugby. Which whatever you may think, if they are allowed onto front foot playing this game its been very successful for a good while now.

However, If Ireland does bring this unstoppable amazing game you talk of to the table and play their own brand of one dimensional rugby, with time at half back, then victory will be yours.

By the way this is all meant a bit tongue in cheek. Once again we have two teams incredibly close in personnel right from 1-15 (except for 10!). It will be down to fine margins and a few moments of inspiration once again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

re: 1/2p
    I wud think he starts primarily because he is a 9 out of 10 kicker from anywhere on the pitch <45m.
    he does have many other fine attributes and Wales rely on 1/2p to boot the ball deep into the space of the opponents territory. But is he a winger playing FB? I would play him on the wing and Liam Williams at FB. Or as someone beautifully christened him here "Delon Williams":pac:
    But clearly that doesn't fit in with WG tactics. Kick for territory, chase up in a line and smash 'em, smash 'em, samsh 'em. Lydiate chop tackle, Warburton in over the ball: pen wales. 1/2p kicks goal. prob Shaun Edwards tactics actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

But clearly that doesn't fit in with WG tactics. Kick for territory, chase up in a line and smash 'em, smash 'em, samsh 'em. Lydiate chop tackle, Warburton in over the ball: pen wales. 1/2p kicks goal. prob Shaun Edwards tactics actually.

and Joe Schmidt tactics...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

and Joe Schmidt tactics...
    yea with a twist!
    Ireland territory kicking is obv all about the kick chase and competing for the ball in the air. Wales kick deep and proceed as above

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

.ak wrote: »
    Did someone say recession over?

*re-pops collar*

four-popped-collars-cool.jpg

*.ak* #checkmeout

Monday night rugby on Newstalk giving a stat from the England game...

Ireland won 116 of their 117 rucks!!

Unreal figure there.

mfceiling wrote: »

Unreal figure there.

What happened the other one?

:mad::mad::mad:

Haha. I'm just hoping Ak. and the lads might sign my Ireland jersey.

Good call. .ak signatures are recession proof.

We gave them the ball to keep their interest up.

One of the many articles popping up on Antipodean rugby websites. Comments section is interesting too.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2015/03/04/spiros-2015-rwc-diary-alive-alive-oh-ireland-exposes-englands-power-game/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Has there ever been a serious team (and bench) with this fact :

"..with 5 players with full-back experience in the Irish backline (Payne, Henshaw, Kearney, Zebo and Bowe, and indeed Jones and Madigan on the bench)"

7 fullbacks in one squad. Be the hokey.

• Advertisement

Peter O Mahony made a ridiculous run through the opposition defense, ran much further than he should have been able to, got isolated and turned over. Honestly, we couldn't even lose the ball without first doing something good.

Has there ever been a serious team (and bench) with this fact :

"..with 5 players with full-back experience in the Irish backline (Payne, Henshaw, Kearney, Zebo and Bowe, and indeed Jones and Madigan on the bench)"

7 fullbacks in one squad. Be the hokey.

Off the top of my head. Ireland v Italy 2015

Keatley, Zebo, Henshaw, Payne, Bowe, Kearney. Madigan, Jones

8 playerss with Fullback experience in one squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Unreal figure there.

I've never heard anything like that

We gave them the ball to keep their interest up.

They should've brought their own ball to play with.

Swiwi. wrote: »
    One of the many articles popping up on Antipodean rugby websites. Comments section is interesting too.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2015/03/04/spiros-2015-rwc-diary-alive-alive-oh-ireland-exposes-englands-power-game/

We'll take the compliments but there's a shocking amount of mistakes, inaccuracies, and nonsense in that article.

We'll take the compliments but there's a shocking amount of mistakes, inaccuracies, and nonsense in that article.

Messenger down! Messenger down! We have a gunshot wound to our messenger!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Unreal figure there.

If accurate that is absolute insanity

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Unreal figure there.

An Ireland coach once said something along the lines of, the scrum and the lineout are not important set pieces. It is not important to win these or to have planned moves based on either scrum or lineout. Our focus instead is on the main set piece in the game, the ruck, winning this and making sure we know what to do after they occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭crisco10

Tox56 wrote: »
    If accurate that is absolute insanity

I know this thread is for the Wales game but....I was watching the English game again and its hard not to think that Joubert really favoured us at the breakdown; there were a lot of calls that just went our way and very few that went against.

• Advertisement

crisco10 wrote: »
    I know this thread is for the Wales game but....I was watching the English game again and its hard not to think that Joubert really favoured us at the breakdown; there were a lot of calls that just went our way and very few that went against.

To be honest he just favoured the attacking team. I thought he let England hang onto the ball a lot.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement