Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2013 Cooking Club Week 32: Classic Lasagne

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Mr Simpson wrote: »
    Maybe substitute courgette for the pasta? Sliced, roasted in the oven for about 10 mins then layer instead of pasta.

And slices of roasted aubergines too... ooooh I can actually taste this in my mouth now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    And slices of roasted aubergines too... ooooh I can actually taste this in my mouth now...

It was going to be my cooking club recipe this week..... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Sweeper - looks delicious. I salute your use of the liver in the ragu. Meatastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

What is meant by raw sugar?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Granulated cane sugar, minimally processed. Has a honey-sweet flavour. Good for most things. Sugarcane is pressed and mixed with lime, the ensuing liquid is evaporated and crystalises and those crystals are then spun to produce evenly sized sugar granules. It's a golden colour due to the remaining presence of molasses (which is what affects the flavour). I have a personal preference for raw sugar over white sugar in any food where the colour doesn't affect the finished product because I prefer the flavour.

White sugar is further processed by the use of sulphur dioxide to bleach the granules, and then other chemicals are used to remove impurities and then the whole thing is filtered to remove the molasses.

It's like the difference between using sea salt flakes and using processed free-flowing iodised table salt. Yes you can use white sugar if it's what you have.

• Advertisement

Cool thanks. Just wasn't sure. Off to buy Cane Sugar so (and the ten billion other ingredients!! :P)

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I made this last night - had to improvise some ingredients, as I can't get veal or chicken liver for love nor money round these here parts. Daamn, but that's a tasty lasagne! I feel I've learned some new cooking foo as well, so cheers for that.

Also: the electricity went off with ten minutes to go in the oven. As timing goes, it could have been much, much worse.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 494 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Made this tonight, amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭stmol32

If you need to split a lasagne sheet sideways, score it gently with a knife and snap it over the edge of your benchtop, ....

This has literally changed my life, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

@TheSweeper this recipe looks superb, I was on the lookout for a go-to recipe for lasagna and this looks to me like it=) I'm defo going to try it as soon as I've invested in a decent casserole dish when the Xmas sales kick off. Just out of interest, do you know approx how many portions you get out of the lasagna dish you use ? Also what I'd love to do is spend some time making this in bulk but then constructing it in smaller lasagna dishes for freezing and then for cooking out of the freezer further down the line. I don't suppose you're aware of a type of dish that was just big enough for constructing two portions? I'm mainly only cooking for two people or one so such a dish would be really handy to do them in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭squonk

Could you use those foil takeaway dishes? You'd probably get two reasonable sized portions in one of the rectangular dishses. Lasagne is quite rich and you don't need a lot of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

squonk wrote: »
    Could you use those foil takeaway dishes? You'd probably get two reasonable sized portions in one of the rectangular dishses. Lasagne is quite rich and you don't need a lot of it.

I do that, I double up and freeze one lasagne. Either in one big container or in several small ones. It works well. You can get various sizes in Mr. Price, Dealz and similar shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

squonk wrote: »

31J0usct85L.jpg
    is what I use when batch-cooking for the freezer and holds two reasonable portions. If someone's a big eater, a bit of garlic bread will pad it out, and some peppery green salad is a great side-dish.

I'm finally gonna make this over the weekend. Does anyone know if bocconcini balls are available in typical supermarkets or is it a speciality shop I need? Also is there a good substitute if I can't find them?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I'm finally gonna make this over the weekend. Does anyone know if bocconcini balls are available in typical supermarkets or is it a speciality shop I need? Also is there a good substitute if I can't find them?

I used mozarella, worked the same for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭GoodBridge

I make lasagna fairly regularly and I've tried a good few recipes so saw this and saved it to give it a go. However, I just did a double take there when I saw the ingredient list say one whole nutmeg. That's hella lot a nutmeg. Maybe I'm just very sensitive to it but I've made the mistake before of adding a little too much nutmeg to potato dauphinoise where a pinch was called for and I added probably about 3 pinches altogether as I was grating directly into the sauce and got a bit carried away. Frankly it completely overpowered everything else on the plate. Went away with the aftertaste of nutmeg. It wasn't just me - mrs agreed it was 'a little too strong' (but she was being polite).

Did anyone else who made this find the nutmeg too much or is it just one of those things where it actually works despite thinking it might not - a bit like 40 garlic clove chicken.

I mean no disrespect OP, I'm sure the recipe is exactly how you like it and it sounds amazing. As I said, maybe I'm just a bit sensitive to it and don't want to bin an entire lasagna!

GoodBridge wrote: »
    I make lasagna fairly regularly and I've tried a good few recipes so saw this and saved it to give it a go. However, I just did a double take there when I saw the ingredient list say one whole nutmeg. That's hella lot a nutmeg. Maybe I'm just very sensitive to it but I've made tyt?he mistake before of adding a little too much nutmeg to potato dauphinoise where a pinch was called for and I added probably about 3 pinches altogether as I was grating directly into the sauce and got a bit carried away. Frankly it completely overpowered everything else on the plate. Went away with the aftertaste of nutmeg. It wasn't just me - mrs agreed it was 'a little too strong' (but she was being polite).

Did anyone else who made this find the nutmeg too much or is it just one of those things where it actually works despite thinking it might not - a bit like 40 garlic clove chicken.

I mean no disrespect OP, I'm sure the recipe is exactly how you like it and it sounds amazing. As I said, maybe I'm just a bit sensitive to it and don't want to bin an entire lasagna!

I've made this several times and I didn't find it overpowering of nutmeg at all. Or perhaps that I just love nutmeg :) After all, it is half in white sauce and half in meat sauce, so the one in latter just mellows with other flavours.
    In fairness when you freshly grate a whole nutmeg you can only grate so much before your fingers catch the grater. There's always a tiny bit left it's chucked out.

my kitchen is currently full of the waft from the ragu sauce on a slow cook, smells delish, thanks again OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭GoodBridge

Made the ragu yesterday and went with the half nutmeg. It did mellow out nicely :)

The chicken livers were a new one for me too. Think they bring an extra layer of flavour. It's top-notch ragu.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭omri

OP whats the size of your caserole dish ? I have one but after adding the braised meat it was filled all the way to the top and would have no more room for passata and rest of the ingredients. Had to move it to my baking tray..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

My Mario Batali dish is 34cm long, 24cm wide and 8cm deep (a little bigger than 13 inches long x 9 inches wide and 3 inches deep).

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭omri

Thanks MissFlitworth - however I meant the dish that the ragu is cooked in. I have le creuset casserole but this is way too small for the quantities from the recipe.

omri wrote: »
    Thanks MissFlitworth - however I meant the dish that the ragu is cooked in. I have le creuset casserole but this is way too small for the quantities from the recipe.

I cooked ragu in 24" le creuset, and it was just above half way up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

omri wrote: »

Ahhh, that's what I get for smug 'look! look! I found it!' quoting :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I loved that reduction of the sauce in the oven, I hadn't thought to do it that way myself (I just kept my dutch oven on the hob and the results can be hit-and-miss sometimes). Next time I'm doing it your way. But a sauce that good and instant pasta? Noooooo. I'll break out the pasta machine and make some by hand, it'd be disrespectful otherwise :D (Also, I tried doing the "thousand layer lasagna" thing a while ago and finally managed to find a 4" deep lasagna dish after much searching - once you've gotten a deep lasanga dish, there really is no going back, it makes that much of a difference :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Can you use the ragu sauce in any other ways? I don't like pasta. I've really tried to like it, but I just don't. :p

You could use crepes instead and make crepe lasagne and maintain the dry ragu from the OP

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Teeley

Made this for a lunch party today..absolutely delicious! Went down a treat with everyone. Worth all the effort!..made ragu yesterday and assembled lasagne today. We didn't use veal or chicken livers..not sure if they could add to the flavour of the dish but will add them the next time..because there will definitely be a next time!! Thanks for the great recipe..highly recommend to everyone!

I am currently re-writing out this recipe (my original one faded!!) as I am making this again tomorrow (turned out fantabulous the first time) and sharing with SO MANY PEOPLES!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Made this a few weeks ago, absolutely marvellous, leftovers lovely out of the freezer as well, going to make it again this weekend, I dont suppose anyone downloaded the images when it was first posted, i sometimes do it for recipes i keep, the ragu thickness ones would be really handy to look at.

• Advertisement

I make it a few times a year, its a fair bit of work but well worth it as its a great recipe. Dont have the pictures but the timings for the ragu are spot on, I stir it a couple of times during cooking and then check it at 2.5 hours but it normally takes about 3 hours or slightly over it to soak up all the wet ingredients.

Advertisement