Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is your first name going out of Fashion?

Options
  • 06-02-2015 4:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭

Here's an interesting little interactive poll yokey-ma-bob from the Irish Times website where you can look up the frequency of first names given to kids in the last ten years.

A quick check shows that we have now gotten past the bleak, bleak years of naming young wans Britney and Shakira, also the number of Rihannas have been falling since there 2007-08 peak. The name Mary appears to be in serious decline

As for the boys, I'm truly horrified that any one would call their young fella Brooklyn or Braxton!!! The number of Johns remains relatively constant, but David is in sharp decline.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/is-your-name-going-out-of-fashion-1.2089357

No Nutella's have yet been recorded in Ireland

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Zippie84

Yeah it's been yonks since I've heard of anyone else called Zippie tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

As far as I'm aware, Odhran seems to be coming into fashion! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

My name is not even on the list - it's never on any feckin' list (except the list of names that are never on any list)!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

My name isn't even listed… oh well. I guess I'm the only Zohan in the village.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Other risers are Lexi, Poppy and Fiadh and Sienna, none of which made the top 500 back in 2004 but all of which are now in the top 100.

FUCK. OFF!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 dante2015

damn my name isnt there either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

Mine has always been really popular, seems to be slowly on the decline!! We picked a girls name for this baby, thought it was fairly unusual but seems to be on the rise :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

No, it's steadily going out of fashion.
    Hopefully by the time I'm an aul wan I'll be the only one left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Mine was never in fashion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Some amount of dreadful names on there.

Alfred
    Archie
    Ashton
    Beau
    Bence
    Bernie
    Bentley
    Braxton
    Brayden
    Brodie

The poor poor bastards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,021 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Only three Emmas in the last 10 years? Not sure that's accurate....

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Only three Emmas in the last 10 years? Not sure that's accurate....

You're doing it wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I can't see "Mistake" anywhere. :(

*sniff*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Annalise wtf.
    Annalise this, followed by a punch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Katgurl

I have gone from being very unusual to completely dime-a-dozen over the last decade or so.

My name reached the zenith of its popularity in 2011, but has since fallen by a whopping 28%.

It's still a reasonably uncommon name, having an average annual registration rate of 175 between 2004-2013. I wouldn't like it to become too popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Leogirl

My name is not even on the list - it's never on any feckin' list (except the list of names that are never on any list)!

Same here- have only met one other person with my name.

Mine a very well known Irish name but not particularly common, I'd imagine it was more popular years and years and yeeeeaaaars ago. Not so much now, but I like it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

When I was born my parents put a different name on my birth cert to what they call me because what they wanted to call me wasn't "appropriate" and more of a nickname. Seems like it's rising in popularity now :O

• Registered Users Posts: 33,021 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Mine a very well known Irish name but not particularly common, I'd imagine it was more popular years and years and yeeeeaaaars ago. Not so much now, but I like it :)

It's either Mary or Cait. Or Peig.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

It's either Mary or Cait. Or Peig.

Or Deichtine.

Gobnait appears to have left the radar entirely, with no registrations over the ten-year period.

There were, however, 13 girls named Jewel, three named Letitia, and 90 girls named Magdalen, which is mildly ominous. There were 71 Princesses, as against seven 'Queen's (all girls, thankfully), nine 'Tallulah's, and three lucky girls were named Success! (sans exclamation mark)

Continuing the regal theme amongst the boys, we had 7 Kings and 61 Princes. Bible references also abounded, with and 71 'Cain's and 48 'Abel's, although we are not told how many were brothers. In the morto stakes, there were seven little boys named Armani, three named Chesney, 22 named Axel. There were 39 Divines and three Blessings. encouragingly, there were also 56 'Byron's, indicating that we really are quite a literary bunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

It was kinda cool for a few months back in the winter of 1992.

Ebenezer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I'm convinced the name Gobnaith originated on boards...only place I have come across it.

My son was born in 2013 and his name isn't an option.

I love the name Madeleine but it has connotations when you hear it, it's really sad because it's such a lovely name.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

My name has gone into steep decline it would seem

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

I have an absolutely terrible Irish name, it isn't listed but even the English version is on a rapid decline, not that it was ever popular.

I have an absolutely terrible Irish name, it isn't listed but even the English version is on a rapid decline, not that it was ever popular.

Well now you've got me curious!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Ara ararauna

My name is one of the most common around, my surname on the other hand you'd be pushed to find outside my townland!

I don't understand this thing of giving children "original" names, its not like I feel any less of an individual for having a good and honest forename

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

11 of my full name, 5 of the shortened, thank ****

Advertisement