Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this real life? €575k for a 2-bed in Dublin 15

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

My point was more, id consider a 10 minute walk to shops/ restaurants/ bars a well served area. Not a walk to a bus to bring me somewhere.

I liked the roll eyes tho. Really made your point for you.

Shops yes but no Supermarket. Who can afford to shop regularly in that Spar? Nearest Supermarket at least 20 minute walk away. Car needed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

athtrasna wrote: »
    Shops yes but no Supermarket. Who can afford to shop regularly in that Spar? Nearest Supermarket at least 20 minute walk away. Car needed

You do realise they deliver shopping these days?

The obsession with needing a car is just silly. I function perfectly well without a car the majority of the time. The only reason we have a car is my wife wanted one. Certain people look down on me for cycling but I also do my shopping with the trailer no problem to the the supermarket that is a 20 minute walk but 5 minutes by bike.

People go on about the cost of running a car and seem to miss there are alternatives that are actually more convenient, cheaper and time saving. If I was to drive to work it would take an hour but 30 minutes by bike. I think it is hilarious that some people drive and then go to the gym. You can also buy electric bikes if you want it to be less of a strain.

The apartment is big but I don't think it is worth the money but we will see. Having the Phoenix Park so close is certainly worth a premium for some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

It seems to be on the gorund of some wannabe stately homes.

On mortgages, if somoene takes on so much debt they can't cope with something as easily forseeable like losing a job; dopes seems a very apt description!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yeah it won't go for that, apartment in the same place for €380k

24 Cherry lodge is 200k cheaper than 22....

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/24-cherry-lodge-farmleigh-woods-castleknock-dublin-15/2899671

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

why would anyone pay that... and CCC castleknock of all places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

RasTa wrote: »
    Yeah it won't go for that, apartment in the same place for €380k

24 Cherry lodge is 200k cheaper than 22....

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/24-cherry-lodge-farmleigh-woods-castleknock-dublin-15/2899671
    Different specs.

Prices are pitched at a level that should keep out the riff-raff: that should justify the approximately 100% premium.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

ha. keeping riff raff out? its castleknock. a bit like locking the stabledoor after the horse has bolted no?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,390 ✭✭✭fletch

Different specs.

Prices are pitched at a level that should keep out the riff-raff: that should justify the approximately 100% premium.
    are you being sarcastic? This apartment is in the same estate as the one the OP posted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Different specs.

Nope. 575k looks like it's ground floor too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Panda_Turtle

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    You do realise they deliver shopping these days?

The obsession with needing a car is just silly. I function perfectly well without a car the majority of the time.

If I was to drive to work it would take an hour but 30 minutes by bike. I think it is hilarious that some people drive and then go to the gym.

What if you need to get somewhere fast to help someone and your wife is out the car.

You wouldn't be much use then , would ya?

Plus its nice not to turn up to work sweating after a bike ride. Unfortunately not all workplaces have changing rooms/showers. Although they should.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

What if you need to get somewhere fast to help someone and your wife is out the car.

Plus its nice not to turn up to work sweating after a bike ride. Unfortunately not all workplaces have changing rooms/showers. Although they should.

A towel and some lynx would sort that out ya prima donna:p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

Taxi / car rental (gocar or long term)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

Meh I live just beside Castleknock, we survived without a car for the past two years without much difficulty, even through pregnancy and then for a year with a small baby. We only bought one very recently, and don't use it much. There are loads of regular trains and buses, we just got in the habit of doing regular small shops ... and when we did need to do a big shop, we'd get a Tesco delivery. Also, the odd time we needed to get a taxi somewhere, we could justify the expense with all the money we were saving on tax, insurance, maintenance, all the rest. It's handy having the car, but I would not consider it a necessity around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

How much do you think I should pay for this eventuality on a monthly basis? It is not like there is a service I could avail of to get someplace I can't cycle to in time like say a taxi! Do you pay for a 2nd car just in case something happens and another person needs you in a hurry?:rolleyes:

I worked for many companies around Dublin and have had no problem with showers and facilities. I can well afford another car but it is pointless expense in my life and from what I see it is a luxury people don't even consider as a luxury. Each to their own but it is self interest issue with major drawbacks on congestion, pollution and cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

Jeremyr wrote: »
    These sellers are deluded to say the least, anyone who hands over 575k for this is insane and obviously didn't earn their money themselves

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/22-cedar-lodge-farmleigh-woods-castleknock-dublin-15/3066202

That has to be a typo as those units are worth no more than 275 at a push.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Big Davey wrote: »
    That has to be a typo as those units are worth no more than 275 at a push.
    I haven't paid a great deal of attention to the market in that area, but I'd say you are in the right ballpark.

But I don't think it's a typo. It's either a seller with unreasonable expectations, or it's somebody who doesn't really want to sell. The place is unfurnished, and the pictures show no sign of wear and tear, so I wonder if it was ever occupied.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

"The location is second to none".

They must have thought this great location commands a 300k premium ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

I'm not sure where people are coming up with €275k? Castleknock prices have been rising for the last couple of years. We were bidding on a house there nearly 2 years ago and pulled out when it went €60k over asking.

I agree that €575k is madness, but of the location and size I would think it could go for €400/€450k.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

It's either a typo or it's not actually for sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The asking is is too lunacy obviously. Even if I had the money I wouldn't buy it. Of course they might be putting the price up on one property to sell a different one at a lower price, but still inflated price.

However there's a lot of people commenting who haven't a clue about the location, or the prices in that location. D.15 and in particular, Castleknock is a place where prices can vary enormously in a very small distance. It will make no sense if you don't know the area or don't want to be in this specific area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

beauf wrote: »
    The asking is is too lunacy obviously. Even if I had the money I wouldn't buy it. Of course they might be putting the price up on one property to sell a different one at a lower price, but still inflated price.

However there's a lot of people commenting who haven't a clue about the location, or the prices in that location. D.15 and in particular, Castleknock is a place where prices can vary enormously in a very small distance. It will make no sense if you don't know the area or don't want to be in this specific area.

is the price all to surprising when you see three bed semi's in hartstown/huntstown area are 200k

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Jeremyr

is the price all to surprising when you see three bed semi's in hartstown/huntstown area are 200k

I think it's more of a shock tbh

200k for a house in Huntstown is beyond laughable

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Jeremyr wrote: »
    I think it's more of a shock tbh

200k for a house in Huntstown is beyond laughable

I wouldnt say that nothing wrong with the area .

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Jeremyr

I wouldnt say that nothing wrong with the area .

Yeah there is nothing wrong with buying a house in Huntstown :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Anybody else think "jayus, what would I get for my place so?" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Okay here's another. Nice house (despite one or two tacky design decisions) but €1.25m in D14 nice?!

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/15-thorncliffe-park-rathgar-dublin-14/3075530

Although can you really put a price on an end of garden bondage dungeon?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Okay here's another. Nice house (despite one or two tacky design decisions) but €1.25m in D14 nice?!

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/15-thorncliffe-park-rathgar-dublin-14/3075530

I don't know, two thousand square feet less than a mile from the Rathgar crossroads is going to command a premium, and it is a hell of a house - four sizeable bedrooms, a kitchen bigger than the house I'm in right now, and (as you say) an end of garden bondage dungeon. The Castleknock apartment is almost exactly 500 quid per square foot (499.57, to be precise), and while the Rathgar house clocks in at just over 600 per square foot, it's absolutely slap bang in the middle of "leafy South Dublin" with all that entails; the Castleknock one is less than a kilometre from an 850sqm two-bed for 250k. There's nothing comparable near the Rathgar house that's much cheaper by square footage; in fact, it's not even the most expensive when measured by that metric.

If I had an absolutely massive pile of money, would I consider buying that Rathgar house? Possibly: it's huge, it's well-located, and a soundproofed games room would give me plenty of space to set up a completely unreasonably large drumkit. It has pretty much everything I'd want in a house if I was stupidly wealthy, and it's within walking distance of Rathmines.

Would I buy the Cedar Lodge apartment? Would I f*ck. I'm not paying nearly six hundred thousand quid for a place that doesn't even have the kitchen and living room separated, much less one where not a single one of the toilets has a window and one of the two bedrooms is nineteen feet long with a window at one end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

3 bed semi for €1.2 million..oh dear god:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    3 bed semi for €1.2 million..oh dear god:D:D

It's really a 4-bed, thanks to the 235sq ft attic room. Well, if you can manage to cope with being limited to a living room, a dining room, and a kitchen-cum-breakfast room that clock up about 750 square feet between them (for perspective: there's another house on the road for sale at 750k, and that's a little over a thousand square feet total), you can probably go ahead and turn that family room into a fifth bedroom.

Plus the soundproofed bondage dungeon at the end of the garden. Sorry, I meant drum room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Would you pay 2 million for this in Foxrock, its a lovely house but you are paying for luxury and location! Other houses in Foxrock is quiet small with the exception of this house looks more spacious. It was mentioned in the media recently.

http://www.daft.ie/sales/hazel-house-grove-wood-hainault-road-foxrock-dublin/1021758/

Advertisement