Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this real life? €575k for a 2-bed in Dublin 15

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭RecordStraight

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    But your talking about suburbs here and not a city center unfortunately
    I live in a (European continental) suburb. There are 3 big supermarkets within a five minute walk. Maybe 15 restaurants, 20 bars. And all the other stuff you have in towns of course. Irish suburbs seem to be hollowed out of businesses - I'm not sure whether the cars/lack of public transport are a cause or effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Greyian

As 2 beds go, it does seem like a fairly large place (there are 3 bed houses that are ~90sqm). I've never really been a big fan of a single room for living/dining/kitchen though. You basically have a bedroom and a room you spend the day in, and that's it. At least when the kitchen is in a separate room (or mostly walled off) from the living area, people cooking etc. aren't constantly disturbing people relaxing/watching TV etc.

Regardless of the layout though, that is a frankly ludicrous price for such an apartment. The other 2 apartments someone linked would even be overpriced, but €575,000 for a 2 bed? Absurd.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Most of those who have defaulted on their mortgages did not lose their jobs.

Interesting. Are most people in arrears strategic defaulters so?

Out of interest, what proportion of those that defaulted had lost their jobs?
    I don't think those statistics are available. You can only get at the numbers by looking at proxies and by comparing with other countries (as above). Certainly many did lose their jobs, but I don't accept that that is the case with the majority of defaulters.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

A very high percentage, especially in the rental market, i personally know of 4 friends living in different houses where theyve all had their households handing over 1200-1800 a month to a landlord, and receivers / agents for the banks have shown up on their doorsteps to ask about it and informing them that the landlord has not been paying his mortgage for the last 2 years.

• Advertisement

Again, it's impossible to say with any accuracy. But I think the role of strategic default has been vastly underplayed.

If you have a little time (and the interest and the skills) you could make up a graph comparing the rate of change of:

1. Unemployment
    2. Property prices
    3. Mortgage defaults

Look at whether number 3 tracks number 1 or number 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

I live in a (European continental) suburb. There are 3 big supermarkets within a five minute walk. Maybe 15 restaurants, 20 bars. And all the other stuff you have in towns of course. Irish suburbs seem to be hollowed out of businesses - I'm not sure whether the cars/lack of public transport are a cause or effect.

Would love to know the population of this european suburb?

Castleknock has a population of 21,457...it certainly does not warrant 3 supermarkets and 20 bars to say the least

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Greyian wrote: »
    As 2 beds go, it does seem like a fairly large place (there are 3 bed houses that are ~90sqm). I've never really been a big fan of a single room for living/dining/kitchen though. You basically have a bedroom and a room you spend the day in, and that's it. At least when the kitchen is in a separate room (or mostly walled off) from the living area, people cooking etc. aren't constantly disturbing people relaxing/watching TV etc.

Regardless of the layout though, that is a frankly ludicrous price for such an apartment. The other 2 apartments someone linked would even be overpriced, but €575,000 for a 2 bed? Absurd.

The size is very large for a 2 bed apartment - and you are right there are plenty of 3 bed houses smaller than 100sqm around Dublin.

There are new apartments launched in Clontarf - nearly Dollymount to be honest. 2 beds €400-€620k and 3 beds €795k-€895k :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Frankly if you had that money to spend and wanted to live in Clontarf, you could get a pretty decent house for €895k. It astounds me that someone would pay that much for an apartment.

Castleknock has a population of 21,457...it certainly does not warrant 3 supermarkets and 20 bars to say the least
    The commune has a population of about 60k, but the other parts of the commune would be closer to other supermarkets etc.

I should also add that I come from an Irish town of about 15k, and there are Dunnes, Supervalu and Lidl supermarkets there (perhaps more now) and about 10 pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,386 ✭✭✭fletch

I should also add that I come from an Irish town of about 15k, and there are Dunnes, Supervalu and Lidl supermarkets there (perhaps more now) and about 10 pubs.
    I presume that Irish town serves more than just the inhabitants of the town? I presume people drive from many kilometres away...not comparing like with like (not that I agree that Castleknock needs 20 pubs!)

• Advertisement

The commune has a population of about 60k, but the other parts of the commune would be closer to other supermarkets etc.

The commune has a population of 20k, sure blanchardstown only has population of 60k so haven't a clue where your getting your figures.

This mystery Irish town just like your mystery continental town must be very unique. Considering Castleknock is bordered by a much larger suburb in the form of Blanchardstown and which has every amenity and facilty possible it is completely unreasonable and unnecessary to expect 3 supermarkets and 15 pub/restaurants

fletch wrote: »
    I presume that Irish town serves more than just the inhabitants of the town? I presume people drive from many kilometres away...not comparing like with like (not that I agree that Castleknock needs 20 pubs!)
    It's a suburb of Cork, so not really. Spatial planning in Ireland is a mess.

The commune has a population of 20k, sure blanchardstown only has population of 60k so haven't a clue where your getting your figures.

This mystery Irish town just like your mystery continental town must be very unique. Considering Castleknock is bordered by a much larger suburb in the form of Blanchardstown and which has every amenity and facilty possible it is completely unreasonable and unnecessary to expect 3 supermarkets and 15 pub/restaurants
    What??

Where am I getting what figures? The figures I've mentioned are for where I live and where I used to live. I'm baffled that you think there's anything 'unique' about either place.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

it is big and in Castleknock.I do think it is optimistic though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Also one side of Castleknock is bound by one of the nicest parks around.

Lots of people are apparently willing to travel a little further to do their big shop in order to live within a 5 minute walk of the Phoenix Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭Villa05

If property costs this much, few busineses would be viable in the area. Thats why high house prices are bad for the general economy

What??

Where am I getting what figures? The figures I've mentioned are for where I live and where I used to live. I'm baffled that you think there's anything 'unique' about either place.

The figures you seem to have pulled out of the sky.

Roughly 20k live in Castleknock
    Roughly 67k live in Blanchardstown

According to the 2011 Census

Anyways like I previously said a population of 20k does not justify 3 supermarkets 15 restaurants and 20 bars especially when its bordering suburb contains all 3 and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

hardCopy wrote: »
    Also one side of Castleknock is bound by one of the nicest parks around.

Lots of people are apparently willing to travel a little further to do their big shop in order to live within a 5 minute walk of the Phoenix Park.

You can buy a 4 bed detached house of 2200sq ft near me for €125,000, with 2 blue flag beaches within 2miles and 5miles.

Donegal isn't to everyone's tastes, but I often thank the lord I don't live in Dublin.

Anyways like I previously said a population of 20k does not justify 3 supermarkets 15 restaurants and 20 bars especially when its bordering suburb contains all 3 and more.
    I never said anything about how many people live in Blanchardstown or Castleknock, did I?

:confused::confused:

• Advertisement

:confused::confused:
    Since when was Castleknock or Blachardstown a commune?

I was talking about where I live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

NIMAN wrote: »
    You can buy a 4 bed detached house of 2200sq ft near me for €125,000, with 2 blue flag beaches within 2miles and 5miles.

Donegal isn't to everyone's tastes, but I often thank the lord I don't live in Dublin.

Thats gas, because I thank the lord I dont live in Donegal. Nice for a weekend visit though.

Theres a reason houses are practically worthless in Donegal, nobody wants to live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

That is a huge price for an apartment in a development. Area looks well kept though, so I can only imagine the eye watering Management Fees on top of everything else.

At the end of the day if there is just ONE willing buyer, it's a sale. But it is very optimistically priced.

Some people do not want to live near shops, schools and noise. They like relative isolation. Each to their own.

And as for the Pheeno being on the doorstep, I have that too where I live, within ten minutes walk, plus a lovely village with a Spar, a few pubs and a bus practically outside the door to all points west towards Maynooth and Liffey Valley, and fiften minutes into the city (outside rush hour admittedly).

The prices here can be a bit WTF sometimes, but NOTHING like that place in Castleknock!

drumswan wrote: »
    Thats gas, because I thank the lord I dont live in Donegal. Nice for a weekend visit though.

Theres a reason houses are practically worthless in Donegal, nobody wants to live there.

Plenty do, and there are dozens of NI folk with holiday homes within a few miles of me, so it must have some attraction.

Dublin's nice for a visit the odd time too.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

I too live in a European suburb. Initially I questioned the poster you're quoting but then looked up the details. Within a 10 minute walk/half a mile of mine, I have 2 large supermarkets, 2 "express" supermarkets, a spattering of smaller shops, and I'd say about 15 bars/restaurants. It has a population of just under 21,000

Edit:
    On topic, ya, wow, that apartment is ridiculous. Maybe their kitchen is solid white gold

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Username here

Is this just fantasy?

Surely you mean:

5xW8Lf.png

Sorry - couldn't resist! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

and the yearly management feed are probably huge roo. madness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Panda_Turtle

Crazy prize. Castleknock is a suburb of Dublin, not London or Sydney.

Would be fun to go see that place just to make jokes about the price with the estate agent.

Asking price is one thing, but it hasn't sold at this mad price.

Wonder what it will actually go for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

A 20k population may not deserve 3 supermarkets but it definitely deserves 1. Spar is not a supermarket, it's a convenience store.

For 575k you would expect decent amenities.

Advertisement