Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mom [CBS]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Wasted? Yes, quite possibly...

.. but I think you're underestimating US audiences love of Lorre.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

Gotta be better then "Dads" I'm giving that one two more episodes to redeem itself over the forced pilot

It is better. Nice Cameo also. They should do a crossover.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

I love Faris, I didn't love this.

Will probably watch it as a means to kill 22 minutes every other day.

Between this and Dads, I don't have much hope for parental themed sitcoms! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Seen worse comedy pilots this season ('Trophy Wife'.. I'm looking at you!)..

.. it's lame Chuck Lorre standard but there's a talented comedic cast there IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Basq wrote: »
    Seen worse comedy pilots this season ('Trophy Wife'.. I'm looking at you!)..

.. it's lame Chuck Lorre standard but there's a talented comedic cast there IMO.

In Anna I trust ;)

Part of me kinda wants to check out Trophy Wife now! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Callanutd

Its not bad, Dads was truly awful but I actually found this quite funny. Not a classic but not bad to wind down with in the evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Gave the pilot a look tonight and thought it was almost painful to watch. I'll probably give it another episode but if it isn't drastically improved then this will be a very quick drop for me I think.

The only way the humour could be more forced is if Lorre called around to the viewers home and beat them with the obvious stick. Much like Dads it's a show that's attracted a talented comedic cast and bar French Stewart has given them nothing to do. Genuine laughs are few and far between and the laugh track is one of the most intrusive and annoying in the history of television. All it does is highlight just how crape the writing is by continuously drawing attention to the "gags". Still, at the very least it doesn't have to resort to cheap, offensives and racist jokes to try and appear interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

I must admit, I don't hate it. Easy to pass 20 minutes with.

• Advertisement

Suffered through the second episode and not going to bother with another. It really is truly atrocious TV and if the jokes were any lower they'd be subterranean. Seeing Badger from Breaking Bad was cool but you gotta wonder just what attracted him to this. It would be like DeCaprio going from working with Scorscese and then shooting a film from the Asylum about killer ant-shark hybrids.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Callanutd

its just so poor. Alison Janney is a top actress, in this though she is ludicrous. I have removed it from my download schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭squonk

It's not bad, but it's not great. It's a show I'll watch but not care greatly about. I don't hate it enough to remove from my schedule. Trophy Wife is better by far. I'm not getting the hatred for this that others have. Last episode was strong. I'd watch Trophy Wife over Mom any day. Comparing both, I think Marcia Gay Harden shines like a beacon on Trophy Wife that Alison Janey just can't quite manage on Mom. She reminds me of Gemma from SOA trying to be funny!

• Registered Users Posts: 84,788 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The show should be renamed "Two and A Half Women"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,955 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I'm watching this on the RTE2 schedule, about 14 episodes in, and I'm honestly enjoying it. It must be the performances - Faris & Janney are quite the dysfunctional team - and the black humour in situations that are more "real" than the typical sitcom's. (Another character has cancer, but she's managing to joke about that too.) In my view this makes the characters much more human than if they were "white trash" victims in some police drama.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Rickamania1

The most recent episode was amazing. Heart-wrenching

Are you seeing the show on the US schedule? To anyone not doing that, don't read anything about it online, there are too many spoilers out there. It's now a much better show than the first few episodes indicated.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Rickamania1

bnt wrote: »
    Are you seeing the show on the US schedule? To anyone not doing that, don't read anything about it online, there are too many spoilers out there. It's now a much better show than the first few episodes indicated.

I'm on the US schedule indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

It certainly was. Christie and Bonnie are two fantastic characters

• Registered Users Posts: 84,788 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It has been renewed for season 3 plus Jaime Pressly upped to series regular

• Advertisement

Still enjoying this immensely, so much that I'm not waiting for local broadcast. The last couple of episodes had my hair standing on end. These are not healthy people. :eek:

Kind of going off it. Haven't enjoyed the last couple of episodes so much & they don't seem to know what to do with her kids. It's like they change writers every couple of episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mafaa

Season 3 is on in the USA now. We have a new character ... or is it two? It won't be clear until Ep 2, I suppose.

Enjoyed the first one, Gonna stick with it a little to see how it goes, but I'm ready to bail.

For those of us not following the US schedule, Season 3 starts on ITV2 tonight, 9PM.

For those of us who are following the US schedule, I thought the latest episode, My Little Pony and a Demerol Drip, was particularly good. Mostly thanks to Candace (Sara Rue), Baxter's girlfriend, having a particularly irrational meltdown. "Daddy Issues" barely begins to describe it. :eek:

Well, I've seen episodes 12 & 13 of this season, and ... wow. Some very heavy stuff for a comedy, and I can't see how they could have handled it any better. There's a spoiler-filled interview with Anna Faris about it, here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

bnt wrote: »
    Well, I've seen episodes 12 & 13 of this season, and ... wow. Some very heavy stuff for a comedy, and I can't see how they could have handled it any better. There's a spoiler-filled interview with Anna Faris about it, here.

Very powerful episodes. It is such a good show

• Advertisement

Still watching and enjoying Mom, though the schedule has been somewhat erratic this year. For those of you waiting for Series 3 to hit terrestrial TV: it starts this Monday, 8:35PM on RTE2.

Advertisement