Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭k123456

I know this isn't technically a support thread but couldn't find an answer to my prob. Also I know @big Nelly is on here regularly and hope he can help.

Recently bought a mxq ott box. Most of the apps won't launch. In particular xbmc. xbmc would get to the end of 'initialize on first run' but then would force close at the very end. The app then wouldn't open at all until I cleared cache, then it would try to initialize again and fail at the end.
    In the Engrish instructions it tells me to unzip an upgrade package to the SD. I cannot find any zip file. It's supposed to contain factory_update_param.ami, xxx.zip and recovery. Can't find these either.
    I have made sure all files are unhidden.
    Another strange thing is that I tried to fix the xbmc problem by uninstalling then reinstall the apk but I can't find it....

Any ideas peeps?
    Thanks

If the problem, is with most apps not launching , I would update Firmware, if possibly using a full wipe method, ie it wipes everything

You will then have a a fresh operation system,

(if this does not work, uninstall xbmc if XMBC comes bundled with the FW, and try different versions of XBMC)

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

Got my MX3 2gb from gearbest last week it came with the 110k4 Firmware so i found a new one 112k4 to update, but before I updated to this i wanted to make a nandroid back up so i installed TWRP recovery did the backup and then installed the new Firmware 112k4 which has a few more settings in relation to Dolby Dts audio settings, anyway I then decided to install openlec 5.0 and that's where my problems began, I couldn’t for the life of me get the box to boot into recovery mode to update it's seemed when I installed the new Firmware 112k4 it was not compatiple with TWRP so my back up was uselsss, it's after taking me all this week to figure out but I got into recovery mode I did this firstly by downloading an old 108k4 Firmware, downloading amologic USB burning tools and copied over to the mx3 which gave me a Fresh install and which allowed me to get into the CWM recovery mode to install openelec 5.0 which i have to say is fantastic everything seems so much zippier But what a f****** dose

After going through all of the above I now have discovered Acestream doesn’t work with openlec Looks like back to android for me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

Big Nelly wrote: »
    DO not zero cache on the MInix, it kills the box. You need to reinstall XBMC after you do that.....

What version of firmware you running?

i updated the firmware last week to official 002. No change to buffering.

i'm going to try post 1-step 5 of http://www.minixforum.com/threads/top-x-questions-and-solutions.426/#post-3061

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

donegal. wrote: »
    i updated the firmware last week to official 002. No change to buffering.

i'm going to try post 1-step 5 of http://www.minixforum.com/threads/top-x-questions-and-solutions.426/#post-3061

What type of internet connection you running?

What type of internet connection you running?

ethernet cable to sky broadband @6mb

• Advertisement

donegal. wrote: »
    ethernet cable to sky broadband @6mb

Your issue could be your network link and not the box....

Your issue could be your network link and not the box....
    i have one of those "sam knows" boxes that measures your broadband speed and the cat cables are very cheap looking.
    should i try a better cable, directly into the router before i change any settings?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭baingal nancer

dahat wrote: »
    MXIII came with 110k4 installed so decided to see how it was before tinkering with it.

Installed Total installer and Andy's build, super impressed with that. Everything a user needs really, user preference will decode if a few extra add ons are needed but it is set up correctly using Aeon NOx.

Firmware ran fine for the 45 mins I put a film at 1080 through it but will likely update it to a better version from Freaktab. I will keep this box on Android as it is a second box for the wife to use upstairs mainly.

Back to the builds again, thses will cut out box sellers ripping folk off with "fully loaded" boxes, I literally had ot installed on 5 mins with no tech knowledge needed bar in putting the Total source

Is andys build an add on in total installer?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,666 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Is andys build an add on in total installer?

Yes, that's where you will find it. Install Community Build add on and you will see it listed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭Invincible

Vdubt25 has review of Xunity Aurora box running linux up on YouTube, seems impressed with it.
    http://youtu.be/j06XMXRbDbQ

• Advertisement

Invincible wrote: »
    Vdubt25 has review of Xunity Aurora box running linux up on YouTube, seems impressed with it.
    http://youtu.be/j06XMXRbDbQ

He would be sure, heavily involved with them sure.
    Seen a few reports of lack of support with their previous box the Ecilpse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Well, the Minix Z64 has arrived, available with both Android and Windows.

Pity it's not dual boot, it's available with either one or the other, not both.

He would be sure, heavily involved with them sure.
    Seen a few reports of lack of support with their previous box the Ecilpse

Sure they're probably sponsoring him at this stage :)

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭onlyme!

One of yous boys hurry up and get the windows version of the new Minix and let us know how you get on with Kodi!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Anyone who bought an mxiii box have trouble powering it up?

onlyme! wrote: »
    One of yous boys hurry up and get the windows version of the new Minix and let us know how you get on with Kodi!

lol!, I'd love to, and a Pipo X7, but I just took delivery of a Minix X8H-plus this week, and intend having some fun with it first.

Is the pipo made by Minix as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'll order this if I find somewhere reliable to buy it, was going to go for the Pipo X7 but the price of that has gone up a bit

Slunk wrote: »
    Anyone who bought an mxiii box have trouble powering it up?

On Open Elec I had to use the remote to power on as the power on button didntt work when I powered on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

I'll give that a try anyway. I have another mx3 and its fine just this won't power up. I've opened a ticket with gearbest anyway. Anyone gone down this route before. Will they just send another one and will I have to post broken one back. Who pays postage return?

Still cant understand why they put 10/100 ethernet on all these devices

Is the pipo made by Minix as well?

No, Pipo are a seperate outfit, they actually have their own Shop online, Pipomall, they have tended to stick with tablets prior to this X7.

Still cant understand why they put 10/100 ethernet on all these devices

I read up on that over the last few weeks, apparently its down to what the Chipset will support, and I think the Baytrail CPU, which the pipo and Minix are both using, doesn't support Gig E.
    It's hardly surprising when you consider that the chipset was really geared toward low spec tablets.

The same applies to the S802/s805, whereas the new Minix Plus has the S812 which does support Gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Well i can report the sumvision x4 runs openelec sweet and good price from the uk too

massy086 wrote: »
    Well i can report the sumvision x4 runs openelec sweet and good price from the uk too

Did you get it off eBay? Any link for it please?

massy086 wrote: »

Codesnake or the Russian developer?

Codesnake or the Russian developer?

Russian guy its his 4 or 5th release for it and it seem very stable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Dub_Jim_Royle

Right so. It seems it is the most up to date. The date is completely backwards so I'm running the update from Dec 1 20141201.
    All the other updates are older than that.
    Have reinstalled xbmc and it will now launch but script failed error when trying to play any field.

Should I just cut my losses and return it to them, they are offering full refund and refund postage.

I was in 2 minds whether to get this box or another one anyway. Disappointed it didn't have a hard power button, and obviously as usual the remote is useless.
    My first box was a droidbox x7 which I think I prefer to the MXQ.

Anyone recommend another similar box around the same price?

The minimal details on this tell me I maybe should stay away...
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/171605405269?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

All advice appreciated.
    Also What's everyone's fav air mouse?

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement