Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PC Gaming, General & Off Topic Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Steam annoys me asking for my DOB when im logged in.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Steam annoys me asking for my DOB when im logged in.

That is a pet hate of mine. Bloody annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

I think mines 1/1/197* as I just dropped the year box to something old sounding

'remind us again how old you are?'

gah FO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Wossack wrote: »
    I think mines 1/1/197* as I just dropped the year box to something old sounding

'remind us again how old you are?'

gah FO

My birthday on steam is also 1/1/RANDOMYEAR :cool:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Gbear wrote: »
    Hadn't even heard of this until the other day.

Is there any in-game footage out yet?

Is it just a bog-standard RTS?

Just noticed they're the same shower (Grey Box) behind that giant battleship sim Dreadnought.

Out on Friday

A test chamber here if your interested

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2015/01/19/test-chamber-grey-goo.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I found a video of TB doing a preview of it.

He plays a game as each faction, explores their mechanics, builds their ultimate units and so on.

I'm always game for another RTS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Om nom nom. Rumoured 3440x1440 @ 144 Hz from Acer? Would love it. LOVE IT!

tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/32.htm#acer_xr341ck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Dair76 wrote: »

I'm looking into getting a 1440p monitor myself with 120/144hz. So many monitors to shop and choose from. If anyone has any recommendations please let me know (i've tried looking into Yamakasi Catleap but looks like a dead duck for me personally)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

What's the price to be like on this filthy thing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

No idea. Still only rumoured, as there's a mention of G-Sync as well, but that model could be a lower resolution. This is likely to be a TN panel though, so colour and viewing angles will be relatively weak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

No idea. Still only rumoured, as there's a mention of G-Sync as well, but that model could be a lower resolution. This is likely to be a TN panel though, so colour and viewing angles will be relatively weak.
    Im sure it will be, im holding out for a curved 3440 x 1440 ~30+" VA panel @ 144Hz, Gsynch or freesync.........taking so long. Im sure there will be one eventually

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,717 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Finally built myself a PC yesterday, was taken aback when it switched on first time without issue :pac:

Installed Vanishing of Ethan Carter to give it a workout and it is a thing of beauty with the GTX 970 :)

If I ever make a master race joke, however, I may have to destroy the device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Finally built myself a PC yesterday, was taken aback when it switched on first time without issue :pac:

Installed Vanishing of Ethan Carter to give it a workout and it is a thing of beauty with the GTX 970 :)

If I ever make a master race joke, however, I may have to destroy the device.

In the same boat, built a family one this day last week, put a GTX 970 in also, it's a monster, think I might pick up Shadow Of Mordor if I can find it cheap...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Sweet lads,reckon its a decision you wont regret. Well until you have a million games in your steam backlog you have not even booted up never mind played...then the feeling turns to guilt:)

Those dam games,there just so darn cheap:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

EoinHef wrote: »
    Sweet lads,reckon its a decision you wont regret. Well until you have a million games in your steam backlog you have not even booted up never mind played...then the feeling turns to guilt:)

Those dam games,there just so darn cheap:)
    Too right, a lot of unfinished games in my library, I'll just see what this new game is like........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,751 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

wow, he's completely right about steam but i dunno if i'd have done what he did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

yep those games multiply like rabbits, I just passed the 2000 mark today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

wow, he's completely right about steam but i dunno if i'd have done what he did

What did he do? All it seems to me he did was.....take down a list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Fieldog wrote:
    In the same boat, built a family one this day last week, put a GTX 970 in also, it's a monster, think I might pick up Shadow Of Mordor if I can find it cheap...

which 970 did ye guys get?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,751 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Kirby wrote: »
    What did he do? All it seems to me he did was.....take down a list.

he was a curator on steam, but he was also generating revenue for his youtube/twitch channels through it, so he's removed himself as a curator. I think he's right about steam but he really has cut his nose off to spite his face

Yes but he's already made his money. It's not like he's poor. He's been raking it in for years. Taking a stance now makes him look like the hypocrite he claims he doesn't want to be.

It's a bit like the Reddit admins taking a "moral" stance on the Fappenning and taking it down....... but not before they had raked in record profits for two weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,283 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Wasn't sure if this was new thread worthy. May be since be more visible.

So looks like Ubisoft are banning all keys and removing games from libraries for games purchased from places like g2a and kinguin.

I have only purchased from kinguin once and that was Watch_Dogs and it's gone from my library. Only cost me about €7 last month so no big loss to me in that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Wow,you would think after a few of there recent PC port attempts they might not want to attract more negative attention.
    But it is Ubisoft i suppose!

Not sure if anything i have on UPlay was bought on a key site,tbh though there welcome to take anything i have on there. Then i can just delete UPlay and get on with my life:)

Ubisoft only have one game im looking forward too,The Division,and id probably get that on console anyway.

The key shops were too good to last though imo,maybe they will find a way around this who knows but i had a good run while it lasted with still a vast back catalog to get through so ill take it on the chin and move on. Maybe it will only be Ubisoft who go this far but id expect other publishers to follow suit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

Got the shaft over AC Unity! I seem destined never to play it!
    I bought the key from G2A and it was erased from my account. Apparently a card used to Gift the Keys was fraudulent which if is the case I don't mind and I have requested a refund. Although if UbiSh&T are up to their antics F%$K THEM!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Logged into uplay wedsite there to check - only have watch dogs bought from kinguin. It still there it seems

Watch Dogs and Far Cry 3 are still there. Pretty sure i bought them both from G2Play. Did anyone buy these keys and then activate them with a VPN? Wouldn't surprise me if they removed them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

Unity gone from my account. They are removing keys that have originally been bought using fraudulent means such as stolen credit cards. I have no problem with them removing games for these reasons as I will get a refund from g2a but the fact that they did not inform us that the game was removed is, in my opinion, not on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,283 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Not everyone would've taken the protection either so they probably don't get refunds.

And I didn't activate using a VPN, so it's just if you have them at all, it seems.

They should've just done what Steam are now doing and said going forward they risk being banned, instead of going into people's accounts and deleting them.
    Failing that, at least let us know what they're doing.

All mine still there, every game on uplay(7) i got from g2play.

• Advertisement

Yeah, but this is Ubisoft. It's like the intentionally look for the path of most annoyance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Hrm. I think I login to uplay when playing Trials Fusion. IMO, if the game gets taken away, I'll probably yaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr it, as I don't play it alot, just every now and again (got it in a good deal).

It begs the question, though; will they ban keys that were gotten during Steam sales?

They are (apparently) only banning keys that Kinguin (and other sites like that) obtained illegally (as in with stolen credit cards). How true any of that is, i don't know. I can understand the thought process behind this move, but doing it with no notification and retroactively is stupid.

Anything bought on Steam will be fine though.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    What software setup do streamers/movie makers use?
    Have you ever tried Raptr? As well as the usual way of grabbing video like Fraps does, it also has an option to capture the last X amount of seconds/minutes. So you're playing, and you one of the unplanned WTF moments; hit the button and it's recorded. Have used it in the past, but have had problems with it, so don't use it much now. It captured the file into mp4 format, so it's a small output, which drew me to it, but not capturing the moments after I've hit the button means that it's useless to me.

Fraps for me uses too much hard drive space whilst recording so still on the lookout for something that works well, and records to MP4 or the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

the_syco wrote: »
    Have you ever tried Raptr? As well as the usual way of grabbing video like Fraps does, it also has an option to capture the last X amount of seconds/minutes. So you're playing, and you one of the unplanned WTF moments; hit the button and it's recorded. Have used it in the past, but have had problems with it, so don't use it much now. It captured the file into mp4 format, so it's a small output, which drew me to it, but not capturing the moments after I've hit the button means that it's useless to me.

Fraps for me uses too much hard drive space whilst recording so still on the lookout for something that works well, and records to MP4 or the like.

Try MSI Afterburner, it's free and great for recording. Very good quality, and also has a buffer record feature, which also is adjustable timewise. I have had better quality and smaller file sizes than when I used Raptr.

CastorTroy wrote: »

So looks like Ubisoft are banning all keys and removing games from libraries for games purchased from places like g2a and kinguin.

I have only purchased from kinguin once and that was Watch_Dogs and it's gone from my library. Only cost me about €7 last month so no big loss to me in that way.

Definitely thread worthy. I only checked because you said it. If not, I may not have realised for ages. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Thanks for the heads up. :)
    Not everyone would've taken the protection either so they probably don't get refunds.

I bought Far cry 4 through g2a and took the protection but I am not going to deal with them. I just opened a dispute with Paypal. Let them do the running.

Try MSI Afterburner, it's free and great for recording. Very good quality, and also has a buffer record feature, which also is adjustable timewise. I have had better quality and smaller file sizes than when I used Raptr.
    Had a quick go with it. May need some more tuning, but it was without sound and crashed the game :/ In saying that, I've only got 500MB free space on my main SSD, so could be down to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Bought Far Cry 4 from USAGames on Kinguin. Still in my account. All my other games are still in there. Think there's been 5 other games that I've bought from them and all are still in my Uplay account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

I bought watch dogs off kinguin or G2A, unfortunately its still in my account lol.

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

You should create a thread to warn people alright. I wonder is this only for keys destined for Russia and nearby regions like what Valve is currently doing? or perhaps the keys were stolen?

Ugh, I've hit a gaming rut :(

After finishing DA: Inquisition, i can't seem to get into anything. Tried a few different genres, and none of them hold my attention for very long.

Are they bringing lawsuits against places such as Kinguin and G2A? Otherwise it looks like they just don't have enough proof of this happening, and just pulling the licenses themselves to cause people to stop buying from the aforementioned sites?

Kiith wrote: »

After finishing DA: Inquisition, i can't seem to get into anything. Tried a few different genres, and none of them hold my attention for very long.

my plan is to start Alien Isolation after I finish DA: Inq, but that could be a while as I am nearly 70 hours in and no end in sight as I haven't even fought a dragon yet :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Kiith wrote: »

Do you have Garrys Mod?
    If not, its a sandbox for mods so you can connect to a server and play CTF deathmatch and connect to a different server and build a spaceship and fly it to colonise a planet then try a different server and play Prop Hunt.
    It's like the ultimate game.

Do you have Garrys Mod?
    If not, its a sandbox for mods so you can connect to a server and play CTF deathmatch and connect to a different server and build a spaceship and fly it to colonise a planet then try a different server and play Prop Hunt.
    It's like the ultimate game.

I used to do a lot of coding in GMod and ran quite the popular TTT server (About 20th in the EU) and I would agree with you that it is the ultimate game.. that is before gmod 13 :( Gimme 12 back!

• Advertisement

Have been using Idle Master these past few days to get the steam cards I can't be bothered playing for.

Nice little app. Emulates you playing the games and racks up the cards for you. After a day or two I have gotten enough cards to earn about 12 euro on the market. Another day or two and I will be getting homeworld for free :D

Of course you need games with drops remaining to be able to get the cards in the first place. If anyone thinks it is dodgy (and I did too at first) the full source is available and I personally went through it and it's on the up and up.

been using it for about a month and I still have 484 games to go :D

Skerries wrote: »
    been using it for about a month and I still have 484 games to go :D

276 here with 1026 drops left. I already had many of my drops happen from playing though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Using Steam Idle as well recently, sold a bunch of cards I didn't want and have already made €2.50 from them and haven't made a dent on my total amount of cards.

Have been using Idle Master these past few days to get the steam cards I can't be bothered playing for.
    Do you need the games installed?

• Advertisement
Advertisement