Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,700 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Will do same in future, never wiped anything before.

Thanks for the tip.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

dahat wrote: »
    I had that issue on a few roms but it turned out I was unzipping the file wrong before flashing. I was trying to flash the zip file rather than the 3 separate files.

@Allyl
    Should a wipe like that be done before flashing a ROM? Or after?

I unzipped to the 3 files and managed to get it flashed.

Went into XBMC and it just froze again. Turned off and on, now its froze on the openelec screen again.

Would I be better off flashing it to android?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I unzipped to the 3 files and managed to get it flashed.

Went into XBMC and it just froze again. Turned off and on, now its froze on the openelec screen again.

Would I be better off flashing it to android?

If you can get Openelec working on it, (I know it's a matter of preference) I'd go with that. Have you left it for anyy length of time after it freezes, to check if it's updating or doing anything in tbackground?

I noticed that the newest openelec from Codesnake is 4.2.1.
    I haven't updated to that yet, I think that went up just over a week ago.

Try the test build:
    Download links for MX2/G18:

Or try one of the older builds, e.g:
    OpenELEC 4.2.0 with XBMC 13.2 Gotham (new MTD):For updating the existing installation of OpenELEC - https://github.com/codesnake/OpenELE....arm-4.2.0.tar
    See instructions of how to update here - http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?ti...ating_OpenELEC
    For new installations from Android Recovery - https://github.com/codesnake/OpenELE..._MX2-4.2.0.zip

5.0.0 is also available up to RC3

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭jimosterberg

Any idea on the cheapest place to get an mx2 or mxq where you could get it delivered in a week or two and wouldn't have to pay customs? Thanks

Allyall wrote: »
    If you can get Openelec working on it, (I know it's a matter of preference) I'd go with that. Have you left it for anyy length of time after it freezes, to check if it's updating or doing anything in tbackground?

I noticed that the newest openelec from Codesnake is 4.2.1.
    I haven't updated to that yet, I think that went up just over a week ago.

Try the test build:
    Download links for MX2/G18:

Or try one of the older builds, e.g:
    OpenELEC 4.2.0 with XBMC 13.2 Gotham (new MTD):For updating the existing installation of OpenELEC - https://github.com/codesnake/OpenELE....arm-4.2.0.tar
    See instructions of how to update here - http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?ti...ating_OpenELEC
    For new installations from Android Recovery - https://github.com/codesnake/OpenELE..._MX2-4.2.0.zip

5.0.0 is also available up to RC3

Thanks for that, I will try them this afternoon after work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭spuddy01

Any idea on the cheapest place to get an mx2 or mxq where you could get it delivered in a week or two and wouldn't have to pay customs? Thanks
    Dealextreme.eu have the MXQ for €52.38 with free shipping in 7-9 days from within the eu so no customs i'd imagine :) Not sure if thats the cheapest around. Am waiting for a MX3 myself from gearbest for €65 hopefully gets through customs ok.

Have come across an issue with Open Elec.

I seem to be losing over half my speed even though it is a wired connection. My speed is dropping from 100mb to 40mb which while very fast is still troubling me.

I tested the cable in my laptop and speed was spot on,99mb.

I'm at a loss to fix or find the problem as clueless on the finer details of Open Elec

dahat wrote: »
    Have come across an issue with Open Elec.

I seem to be losing over half my speed even though it is a wired connection. My speed is dropping from 100mb to 40mb which while very fast is still troubling me.

I tested the cable in my laptop and speed was spot on,99mb.

I'm at a loss to fix or find the problem as clueless on the finer details of Open Elec

I'm going to try and flash android back on to the MX box.

I've successfully flashed openelec to the box 5-6 times, using different links and its still hanging at the home screen.

It went into kodi twice, then the Openelec setup page popped up and wouldn't go to the next stage. And I couldn't remove from screen.

Its really irritating now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Hi, is there an easy way of factory resetting an MXiii 2GB? I'm new to this and have spent the last week getting to grips with my MXiii. Now that I've sussed the addons I want, I'd like to start afresh with just the bits and pieces I want.

Also, with the Netflix app on this box, mine crashes quite a lot, and the resolution is rather poor - I'm presuming I'm doing something wrong here? I expected it to be crystal clear. Any pointers?

Thanks

ciarsd wrote: »
    Hi, is there an easy way of factory resetting an MXiii 2GB? I'm new to this and have spent the last week getting to grips with my MXiii. Now that I've sussed the addons I want, I'd like to start afresh with just the bits and pieces I want.

Also, with the Netflix app on this box, mine crashes quite a lot, and the resolution is rather poor - I'm presuming I'm doing something wrong here? I expected it to be crystal clear. Any pointers?

Thanks

To do a fresh start just use the Maintenance tool on Programs, there is a fresh start option that will reset yourXBMC to a new install.

Can't answer anything on Netflix.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

@ciarsd
    The picture quality on the Netflix Android app is brutal. Not a patch on PC, Playstation or Apple devices in my experience.

FFS flashed the MX box successfully, left it run for an hour playing a stream perfectly.

Powered it off and on again, and its locked on the Openelec screen again.

(Failed) failed to start XBMC hacks

See ' systenctl status XBMC-hacks.service' for details

spuddy01 wrote: »
    Dealextreme.eu have the MXQ for €52.38 with free shipping in 7-9 days from within the eu so no customs i'd imagine :) Not sure if thats the cheapest around. Am waiting for a MX3 myself from gearbest for €65 hopefully gets through customs ok.

Have you got a link for that please mate?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭spuddy01

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

@ciarsd
    The picture quality on the Netflix Android app is brutal. Not a patch on PC, Playstation or Apple devices in my experience.

Couldn't agree more, why is that?

spuddy01 wrote: »

Thanks mate. It's coming from China though and although they say they'll declare value at 22 euro most of these boxes seem to be done for duty these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

BenEadir wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more, why is that?

I've no idea, always wondered that myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

zerks wrote: »
    Have adaway but not 100% sure on how to run it,must look at youtube (my browser doesn't crash again)

PopcornTime was the latest app I installed and the ads appeared,I uninstalled it so I'll check later if that was the cause.

I'm an eejit,ran adaway after more stupid pop ups even when watching a movie via the USB.Seems to be working fine now.The instructions made it seem more complicated than it actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭kenkin

Thanks Smelly Sock. Will have a look at that.
    Can someone tell me what influence a faster wifi would have on a box please
    I currently have 30mb and if it was any advantage I would look at upgrading

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

kenkin wrote: »
    Thanks Smelly Sock. Will have a look at that.
    Can someone tell me what influence a faster wifi would have on a box please
    I currently have 30mb and if it was any advantage I would look at upgrading

You would be better off buying a set of av500 homeplugs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭bazzer86

I'm using a droidbox x7. I accidentally uninstalled the xbmc on it. Anyone know how I can go about reinstalling it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

bazzer86 wrote: »
    I'm using a droidbox x7. I accidentally uninstalled the xbmc on it. Anyone know how I can go about reinstalling it?

Go to the internet app and then google xbmc.org downloads and download the latest version from the official xbmc site ( now called kodi)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Allyall wrote: »
    Did you wipe user data/factory reset and clear cache partition?

Hi Guys

Does anyone have a step by step guide for installing OpenELEC? should I data/factory reset etc? on codesnake webpage there is instructions but only for the upgrade

I have flashed the 808b and it is working but a few issues with video which the original creator is not having. There is new update out at weekend and going to fire on tonight but want to make sure I am not making any mistakes...

On first install I just used toothpick method and installed. Did not wipe data etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

When I put it on my mxiii I couldn't flash the toothpick way for some reason so just put the zip on sd card, booted to recovery wiped data and cache and then flashed the zip and Job done.

I know it's a different version but I haven't had any problems here myself

Thanks for the help/pointers folks. Its unfortunate that Netflix is so poor on these boxes.

Another query for anyone in a similar position.. VPN for NBC Sports Live through XBMC, any recommendations? I’ve tried Hotspot Shield only for the bandwidth limiter to kick in every couple of minutes, and SpeedVPN throttles the speed that you end up with a lot of buffering! These were the two top suggested apps to use in Google Play store. Forgive the newbie questions, I did try a search before replying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Maybe try hola?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭gar

Can you not change your device type to pretend to be a nexus 10 to get HD Netflix?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

5500 wrote: »
    When I put it on my mxiii I couldn't flash the toothpick way for some reason so just put the zip on sd card, booted to recovery wiped data and cache and then flashed the zip and Job done.

I know it's a different version but I haven't had any problems here myself

Just wondering if you wipe the data/cache could you have issues then booting into the recovery menu?

gar wrote: »
    Can you not change your device type to pretend to be a nexus 10 to get HD Netflix?

That's a good shout Gar, although not sure how I could go about this. I'll have a look around the web later thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 southlower13

Thinking of getting an mxiii or minix neo x8 +, is the minix worth the extra cash..? Advice would be much appreciated. ..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement