Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai proposals to ban firearms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭SVI40

Sparks,

In fairness, this time, I actually do think we are all getting along!! This is the first time since I started shooting in 1990, that everyone is in agreement on something.

There is hope :)

Good luck to all those chosen to attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

SVI40 wrote: »
    In fairness, this time, I actually do think we are all getting along!!
    The image was actually supposed to be talking about us, the DoJ and the AGS :D

Ah. I agree then, but am not overly confident in that, unless there is a radical change in their outlook.

There's a good reason it's a science fiction image :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,975 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

SVI40 wrote: »
    Ah. I agree then, but am not overly confident in that, unless there is a radical change in their outlook.

Somehow I get a funny feeling that by Wed 5pm ,they will be getting a change in their outlooks on a lot of the subject of firearms ownership here,and that it isnt a cut and dried issue as they initially thought.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Somehow I get a funny feeling that by Wed 5pm ,they will be getting a change in their outlooks on a lot of the subject of firearms ownership here,and that it isnt a cut and dried issue as they initially thought.

I'm sure the guys will give the Committee a favourable impression of shooters.

Well done, guys.

I don't think they appreciated my politically-charged submission (just as well).

Will be watching eagerly on Wed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

Don't forget that along with your comprehensively researched and unimpeachable data you need a soundbite or two.

It's a sad reflection on the modern world, but without something pithy you just won't get any media exposure and therefore any public awareness. You can be damn sure that the abolitionists have a few soundbites ready, to go along with the statistics they pull out of their ass and the "think of the children" rhetoric. I find that (after the polite Thanks for The Invitation intro and a short pause) starting with the word "Rubbish!" gets people's attention.

I hate this some things about this country sometimes.

Good Luck everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

congrats to those going up. Going to be a long long long day to hear why they are all wrong.

I dont like the look of that doctor selected. Does anybody know him?
    He seems like he put in there to be for the proposals.

yubabill1 wrote: »
    I'm sure the guys will give the Committee a favourable impression of shooters.

Well done, guys.

I don't think they appreciated my politically-charged submission (just as well).

Will be watching eagerly on Wed.

Thought you got an invite?Way back when in this thread?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

bpb101 wrote: »
    I dont like the look of that doctor selected. Does anybody know him?
    He seems like he put in there to be for the proposals.
    Dr Albert Jordan?
    Ran DURC and helped run the NTSA for years, still shoots as far as I know.
    Is also the guy who taught me to shoot on my first day on the range twenty-odd years ago.
    Small world...

• Advertisement

He's one of the good guys.

Mr. KJE Balinski-Jvndzil Who be he ??

Thought you got an invite?Way back when in this thread?

No, not invited to the party.

Thought about it, alright and decided I would decline an invite. submission was designed to do a specific job and I could add very little to it.

They either RAOMFALOL'd when they read it or went "ffshwww"

I will admit I went as close to the line as possible, without - just - going over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

It is high time that AGS AND the politicians of all colours accepted that gun license holders in the RoI are the most trusted element of the population. No other 'sport' or pastime has the same - or anything like the same - degree of intrusion into your private life, morals, standards of behaviour and health, as we are required to reveal to the license-issuing authorities on the firearms license application form.

WE are the good guys.

In our submission we made that clear, as, I'm sure, many here did.

Unlike the many thousands, perhaps tens of thousands, of illegally-held firearms knocking around the Republic, we know, and what's more THEY know, where our guns are - all the time.

Let's hope for better and more clear vision of what is really required of AGS and the politicians - fair and even-handed treatment of law-abiding citizens, based on our past performance, not crystal-gazing pre-emptive action to make lagal shooting in Ireland nothing more than a sad memory.

tac

Sparks wrote: »
    Dr Albert Jordan?
    Ran DURC and helped run the NTSA for years, still shoots as far as I know.
    Is also the guy who taught me to shoot on my first day on the range twenty-odd years ago.
    Small world...

That's grand.

It just wouldn't have suprised me if they trew in some "concerned" member of the public that was for all the propsols and more

Or some expert

Anybody know yet who out who is mr kje.
    He must be have written a serious summision

We all of the 200 submission published ?

Also happy reunion sparks :D

Wouldn't be surprised if they did throw in someone well schooled by gun control network uk or mad mothers about everything or some other numpty from our anti fields sports clique. However with 200 plus submissions whats the percentages of pro to anti?
    But whats the point in getting het up about it?
    The pieces are in position now and all that is left to do is play the game now .The outcome is in the hands of whatever gods there might be on Wed next

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭turismo2142

As you can all see this is my very first post. I joined Boards just now to let you all know how impressed I am with the vast majority of the submissions you've all made and the discussions you've all had. I spent hours reading it all and I really feel up to speed with everything. Thank you all for that.

I'm a very newcommer to hunting and shooting. I am member of a game club in Cork and my semi auto Beretta 12G is on the line here.

I'm dismayed that the submission deadline has passed as I would have liked to put in my two cents but it seems you guys have it under control.

For what it's worth I awaiting a meeting with Jerry Buttimer and Simon Coveney to relay my own views which are the same as yours.

I would truely love to help out in any way I can as I feel very passionate about this.

Keep up the good work. Keep us all posted.

As you can all see this is my very first post. I joined Boards just now to let you all know how impressed I am with the vast majority of the submissions you've all made and the discussions you've all had. I spent hours reading it all and I really feel up to speed with everything. Thank you all for that.

I'm a very newcommer to hunting and shooting. I am member of a game club in Cork and my semi auto Beretta 12G is on the line here.

I'm dismayed that the submission deadline has passed as I would have liked to put in my two cents but it seems you guys have it under control.

For what it's worth I awaiting a meeting with Jerry Buttimer and Simon Coveney to relay my own views which are the same as yours.

I would truely love to help out in any way I can as I feel very passionate about this.

Welcome to the Shooting section of Boards.

It's still not too late to send in a submission. The deadline has passed for the Joint Committee, but the DOJD&E is still taking them, up until 31st Jan. Here's the email address:
    firearms_inbox@justice.ie

Thanks for joining.

You can still make a submission to DoJE before 31jan, if you are of a mind. There is a petition going as well, which you can sign online or print out and get 4 or 5 friends/family to sign.

link to both here (I have nothing to do with either btw).

Actually, one more thing.

There has been no mention of any IFA involvement at this stage. Is that the case? I'm gobsmacked if there has not been thus far given the fact that this effects the majority of its members.

Surely one of the main points of attack from our perspective would be the urban v rural pitch and the effect on farming culture? I admit this may not extend as far as target pistols but at least it's a very strong lobby group to have on board.

• Advertisement

Thanks for joining.

You can still make a submission to DoJE before 31jan, if you are of a mind. There is a petition going as well, which you can sign online or print out and get 4 or 5 friends/family to sign.

From my knowledge of the DOJ in a professional capacity, I can assure you all that the only submission worth making was the one to the joint committee which has now elapsed.

I will do so nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭hurlsey

Actually, one more thing.

There has been no mention of any IFA involvement at this stage. Is that the case? I'm gobsmacked if there has not been thus far given the fact that this effects the majority of its members.

Surely one of the main points of attack from our perspective would be the urban v rural pitch and the effect on farming culture? I admit this may not extend as far as target pistols but at least it's a very strong lobby group to have on board.

I have brought this up before in this thread(or another can't quite remember which one) and it didn't get any traction, I also highlighted the issue with the IFA and received no reply!

hurlsey wrote: »
    I have brought this up before in this thread(or another can't quite remember which one) and it didn't get any traction, I also highlighted the issue with the IFA and received no reply!

Well now that is worrying and highly surprising. I imagine that the NARGC etc should be making approaches to the IFA. Can anyone say if this has been done? As things stand the lobbying strength is quite weak I hate to say.

It was this thread...quite some time ago.

The truth of the matter is at this stage people see this as a handgun and minority shotgun/rifle matter and I imagine the IFA would also. I know it's not but impressing the "rate of crime objection in your area as a reason for refusal" proposed amendment upon the IFA might take some time/lobbying and that's really not something any individual here would have any chance of managing.

Does anyone here have the ear of an NARGC rep or other rep who could shed light on the IFA issue? It's essential if you ask me.

hurlsey wrote: »
    I wouldn't know anything about the ifa as im dublin born and bread , but wouldn't they be more interested in pest control which wouldn't be effected.????

Well now that is worrying and highly surprising. I imagine that the NARGC etc should be making approaches to the IFA. Can anyone say if this has been done? As things stand the lobbying strength is quite weak I hate to say.

It was this thread...quite some time ago.

The truth of the matter is at this stage people see this as a handgun and minority shotgun/rifle matter and I imagine the IFA would also. I know it's not but impressing the "rate of crime objection in your area as a reason for refusal" proposed amendment upon the IFA might take some time/lobbying and that's really not something any individual here would have any chance of managing.

Does anyone here have the ear of an NARGC rep or other rep who could shed light on the IFA issue? It's essential if you ask me.

The farmers will get interested when they have to stick their hand in their pockets. They're looking vulnerable on the single shotgun/no safe issue IMHO.

The farmers will get interested when they have to stick their hand in their pockets. They're looking vulnerable on the single shotgun/no safe issue IMHO.
    There are plenty with pumps and semis believe me. I just get the impression that it has not dawned on them as of yet.

My wider family are from a farming background. Those I spoke to and whom are aware of this push are none too pleased. I just don't think it's been highlighted as anything other than a handgun issue as of yet.

Think that will come up.The fact that everyone else has to invest in alarms,gun safes and whatnot to get their liscenses,while the farmers gun can still in some cases stay in its traditional position behind the back door and it is "recommended" by AGS that gun is broken down when not in use if it is a single gun in the household is a bit much these days.
    If we can belive the reported statistics of stolen guns in this country,i dont think modular sporting rifles and handguns or restricted shotguns figure big in the stats.Its more nicked double barrels and single shot shotguns ,the most common of the farmer guns.:(
    Want to tighten up the law?Make this a level playing field on security in that everyone needs a gun safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Think that will come up.The fact that everyone else has to invest in alarms,gun safes and whatnot to get their liscenses,while the farmers gun can still in some cases stay in its traditional position behind the back door and it is "recommended" by AGS that gun is broken down when not in use if it is a single gun in the household is a bit much these days.
    If we can belive the reported statistics of stolen guns in this country,i dont think modular sporting rifles and handguns or restricted shotguns figure big in the stats.Its more nicked double barrels and single shot shotguns ,the most common of the farmer guns.:(
    Want to tighten up the law?Make this a level playing field on security in that everyone needs a gun safe.

Given that most farmers are already required to store certain chemicals and animal meds in locked cabinets it couldn't be that much of an effort to put the old Baikal in there as well.

A much as of a good idea it is to have a safe, there is no point trying to bring on these further restrictions. There is no issue atm with farmers and shotguns. we shouldnt try and bring them up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

bpb101 wrote: »
    A much as of a good idea it is to have a safe, there is no point trying to bring on these further restrictions. There is no issue atm with farmers and shotguns. we shouldnt try and bring them up.

Id completely disagree, we need to completely change the current leglislation that hes left us in this mess so nothing should be left off the table. It is also comical how A.G.S have not asked for this sooner if they were really concerned with public safety.

I put it in my submission that the first level of security be removed and that it mandatory to have a safe.

GH

Advertisement