Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things we did before the internet and smart phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

KKkitty wrote: »
    Had only about 2 or 3 stations on the TV. Had no remote for the TV so actually having to get up and change the volume or channel. Rewinding vhs tapes cos someone else didn't. Passed notes to each other in school.

Would the internet and smart phones help with that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Masala wrote: »
    ......if you have to ask....you're too young!! You had to be there really!!

I'm in my 30's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭Masala

smash wrote: »
    I'm in my 30's.

Hey Smash... did you ever use the OLD Black Phone and the circular dial!! The standard issue public home when I was a young lad. You'd be lucky if there was 2 in a town .... and that 1 actually worked!!!

Hey Smash... did you ever use the OLD Black Phone and the circular dial!! The standard issue public home when I was a young lad. You'd be lucky if there was 2 in a town .... and that 1 actually worked!!!
    Yea. I'm fairly sure my granny still has one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,954 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Make mix tapes off the radio, sweet Jebus.

• Advertisement

The DJ always talked over the end of the song... bastards!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭Masala

You were a legend if you had a Tape to Tape player. Closest we came to piracy...and we felt bad that it was 'stealing'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Choose which CDs / tapes to bring with you on a long journey (I suppose this is an iPod related point but close enough)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭valoren

Rewind Video tapes before returning them.

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrzzzzzzzzzz...*clunk*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

You had to use actual keys in the car doors!
    No parking assist radar.
    You had to bring films to the chemist and pharmacy and wait days or if you were loaded, use a Poloroid camera which cost about €10 per selfie in modern terms.

Twitter was done using a pen and scribbling on the wall in toilets.

You stored all your music on a shelf!

• Advertisement

You were a legend if you had a Tape to Tape player.

Remember copying commodore 64 games?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭ffocused

played Battleship with nothing more then a pencil & a piece of paper. get your heads around that kids!

I just remember the environmental damage.

Bins were thrown outside houses often in black bags that were torn up by roaming dogs. Plastic bags in the trees.
    There was no recycling, no wheelie bins.

Dublin and Cork sat under a thick haze of coal smoke and you'd constantly have chest or ear problems as result. Even your laundry got soot on it.

I just remember being a kid and absolutely choking on coal smoke all winter.

The major urban rivers had raw sewage in them and would turn your stomach with the stench. I remember seeing clumps of toilet roll floating down the Lee!

It was a bit of a kip to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Am i the only one who still uses teletext and aertel? Ive a smart phone etc i just use it still haha

I can still get the old school Aertel on my UPC cable connection.;)

Not a fan of the new digital teletext at all tbh.

Teletext was always digital. Just it transmitted each the 1s and 0s using smoke signals.

Remember if you called someone abroad you'd need to remortgage the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Called a girl on the landline to ask them out and waited a horrible eternity as their Ma or Da went off and found them and the phone was finally picked up.

Watching MT-USA of a Sunday and video taping your favourite songs. My sisters compiled a near library's worth of material over the three years it was on.

If you wanted a thread like this, you had to write a letter to the editor and wait 7 days to see if they'd publish it and then another week for each post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Spoke to strangers.

I do feel sorry for young lads growing up now. Any girl on her own waiting on a bus or in a cafe or whatever will be on her phone and seem very unapproachable, must be a lot harder to meet girls outside of the pub/club context now.

... but then again, I guess they just pop onto Tinder these days instead?
    (I actually think the tinder concept is great though, 'traditional' online dating is deeply flawed imo, all this profile stuff to wade through and people end up exchanging messages for weeks or even months before meeting, and end up going on dates with people they don't even fancy all that much as the profile stuff makes them seem so 'compaitible' (if you don't want to tear their clothes off anytime you look at them, you're not compatible) which is always going to be ultimately pointless. Tinder's much more suited to how we're wired up. See someone. Decide if they're ridey. Let them know you think they're ridey. They let you know they think you're a ride back. Ride each other. Much more natural.

... what was I meant to be talking about? Crisp sandwich cafe?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Spent a good bit of time on my Amiga and reading Amiga magazines. I didn't have the net so I could only use magazines to get updates in the technology world. Use to cycle a lot with friends and sit around the park chatting. Bought choc ices a lot too. Then Indiglo started offering cheap dial up internet so my dad got us a new windows 95 PC which we paid for on the old ESB bill monthly and everything changed forever.

Gerry T wrote: »
    Got off the couch to change the TV channel, no remote control back then !

As the yougest in my house I was effectively the remote control. Standing beside the telly manually flicking through the channels waiting for my dad to happen on a show he liked.

Thank fvck we only had the six channels at the time....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

SpaceTime wrote: »
    I just remember the environmental damage.

Bins were thrown outside houses often in black bags that were torn up by roaming dogs. Plastic bags in the trees.
    There was no recycling, no wheelie bins.

Dublin and Cork sat under a thick haze of coal smoke and you'd constantly have chest or ear problems as result. Even your laundry got soot on it.

I just remember being a kid and absolutely choking on coal smoke all winter.

The major urban rivers had raw sewage in them and would turn your stomach with the stench. I remember seeing clumps of toilet roll floating down the Lee!

It was a bit of a kip to be honest.

I always think of that song - you know the Bagatelle (!) one 'Summer in Dublin' - where it says 'the liffey it stank like hell' - omg did it stink. On a summer's day it was vile. It sometimes had a greenish hue to it as well. Sure there was every bit of gunk and rubbish going into from factories and god knows what. We used to joke that you wouldn't so much drown in the liffey as be killed by the toxic fumes in the water...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Before smart phones, in the event of an emergency/accident/row we would evacuate/intervene/help out, not get out the phone to record everything and make it go viral.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

not pay the new water charges

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Hovering over a ghetto blaster waiting for the radio DJ to shut the f**k up when wanting to record whatever was number one in the charts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Phoning London in the 80s. You had to go into the post office and tell the woman behind the counter the number. Buy £5 of 10p coins from her. Go outside to the phone box. Pick the reciever and wind the windy handle. Speak to woman in post office and tell her again. She connects you and then as you're speaking jam the 10p s into the slot (about one every 4 seconds).

Some things are definately better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Used to watch the Italian soccer show on Channel 4 to see what was going on in Serie A (when it was the good)

Now just go onto Youtube or Daily Motion or something, can stream matches live. Before you'd be on Teletext or looking up tables in the papers.

I remember the sound of old dialup too. Connecting at 33k or 56k. Except you never got exactly 56k connection. The highest I got was a 48k connection once I think, I took a screenshot of it. I was very proud of that.

Nobody being able to make calls while you were on the internet. Lifting up the handset while you were playing Counter-strike - "ah **** SAKE". The internet had loads of Geocities and Angelfire fan websites on anything and everything. People put hours and hours of work into, what looked like then, the pinnacle of webdesign.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Listening to your elders telling you if you put to put a telecom eireann card in the freezer that it would give the card full credit. Didn't try it but the myth goes that it worked, had to be bulls**t!

At the tender age of 7 I was entrusted with the intelligence and responsibility of recording Glenroe when my parents worked Sunday nights, didn't even have to be shown how to do it, felt like a right clever clogs!

Having a wind up clock next to the bed that used to rattle off the bedside locker and make a racket and scare the b'jesus out of me every morning.

Figuring out the pin to the sky decoder that my parents set and being able to watch stuff I shouldn't have been watching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

My best mate had family in Holland and went over for a few weeks every summer. So inevitable, he would come back to Ireland with a generous supply of reading material. Every summer we eagerly waited for Santa's return.

Advertisement