Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things we did before the internet and smart phones

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Had conversations with the people we live with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

You could go out without worrying about your phone. One less thing to lose when you were drunk.

Photos that looked like they were old polaroids from the 70s were actually old polaroids from the 70s. And they weren't pictures of food.

An auction was something for houses or art. Not any old cr*p on eBay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Going out in the early nineties was a case of agreeing to meet in a certain pub at a certain time. And even if we all met up as agreed, there was a major chance we'd split up at some point of the night and not see each other for another week, when we'd do it all again!

Cycling 10k into town to get a video. Only to find out when you get there that they were all out and you had to look for something else to watch. Then cycle home and watch it. Cycle in the next day to return the video. Jaysus.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Its the omni presence of hand held devices that is most noticeable along with the range of functions they can do.

I came back from london in the mid-90s with a Panasonic mobile phone - bit like the one in the link below

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/HZysQlVNWXg/hqdefault.jpg

All the lads on the pub insisted on using it to make a call home - "guess where I am - in the pub - ON THE PHONE!". Mobile phone usage was still a novelty here. I can remember having a summer job as well in 1992 - the crew I worked with had a "talking brick" for contact with the head office from remote locations. Same craic - making calls from patchy locations, the odd one home (guess where I am?)

I'm in my mid 40s and can remember having up pick up a phone to call a number with the operator - down the sticks in waterford our number was "waterford 3180". So if someone wanted to get us, they'd have to ring the operator on 10 and ask for waterford 3180.

Phone service was also patchy and often went out for days on end. Neighbours used to come to our house to use the phone as we had the only one gif mile around - we had a business inthe house do needed it.

Calls abroad had to be booked in advance - we would ring our cousins in nz on Christmas day but book the line. The operator would ring you to say it's clear now and she's waiting to connect us. Calls were brief as they were hideously expensive. Deaths and births were relayed via telegram and I can still recall getting these from far flung locations.

All change now - we can Skype free from a mobile phone on the sofa. Amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Ah I understand. Personally haven't bought any music since around 2007. Got pissed off buying expensive CDs with maybe only a couple of decent songs on the entire album. I used to love going into old record stores though, so I understand the connection.

I'd be the same with books. Could never see digital books replacing hard copy for me.

Hmm, I don't think I've really had much of an experience of buying an album and only liking a couple of songs on it, at least not recently. I can think of loads of albums that don't have a bad moment and I could quite happily listen to right the way through from start to finish, probably my album of the year for 2014 was Lynch.'s Gallows and it was absolutely incredible, I'd go for a walk or to the shops or on the bus and listen to the whole thing.

But I kinda think that might have a lot to do with the kind of music I listen to, I think metal in general is just more album-focused. Behemoth doesn't release any singles. A lot of metal albums are to be taken as whole works, there's often a theme or story, songs are written with an album in mind, there's a progression and songs will flow into each other. Other genres can be all about the singles, with albums often being just afterthoughts and there's a lot of filler, I remember reading how the majority of pop fans just don't buy albums. Of course that's not an absolute, there's plenty of metal bands that release singles, especially in Japan.

It's down to how we enjoy our music though, I'm sure there's gonna be people who'll read this and think to themselves "Jesus, I'd never listen to a whole album right the way through!" and that's cool too. For me, albums are where it's at, so I rarely find myself thinking what a waste of money that was. :)

• Advertisement

Links234 wrote: »
    For me, albums are where it's at, so I rarely find myself thinking what a waste of money that was. :)

I agree, I like to "own" albums, to physically hold it, to look at the artwork and read the liner notes and so on. Also the very act of waiting to go into Tower or HMV to buy it, it makes it more of an event. Even if I then put the album on my iPod and store the CD away!

However Thom Yorke recently released his album on Bandcamp for a fiver and I got it. I wouldn't have bought it if it was 14.99 on CD however.

My brother only listens to music on Spotify - only. I couldn't deal with that, I like there to be something I own, even if it is just mp3s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I agree, I like to "own" albums, to physically hold it, to look at the artwork and read the liner notes and so on. Also the very act of waiting to go into Tower or HMV to buy it, it makes it more of an event. Even if I then put the album on my iPod and store the CD away!

However Thom Yorke recently released his album on Bandcamp for a fiver and I got it. I wouldn't have bought it if it was 14.99 on CD however.

My brother only listens to music on Spotify - only. I couldn't deal with that, I like there to be something I own, even if it is just mp3s.

I'll rip the CDs as well, listen to mp3s on my phone, etc. But we've got two steroes in the house as well, so I'll still whip on a CD, especially if I'm cooking. Nothing like some metal when you're chopping onions! :pac: I'm actually surprised I'm getting so many thanks for my posts in this thread, I kinda expected someone to say "Ah, you still buy CDs? Haha, yer some eejit!"

Girlfriend uses Spotify, but she's a big fan of vinyl too. Me? Couldn't do Spotify, they're useless for the kinda stuff I like.

Btw, this is Lynch. who I mentioned above ;)

Probably won't be to most people's tastes, but seriously album of the year for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

Saralee4 wrote: »
    Nothing compared to our parents who 'walked to school in 10 foot of snow' haha

"Bought music in record stores." - this is the one I really miss. Its just to easy to get a song now. I remember when I used to buy a cd with my babysitting money and I would be listening to it for months until I got my next one. I would spend hours in the cd shop and then id line up the next cd that I was going to get. I much prefer to have an actual cd rather than downloading.

My Dad was a head wrecker with the tele-text though. He was always on it checking his races. I don't live at home anymore but im pretty sure he still uses it. But there used to be a fun questionnaire game on it called 'Bamboozle', anyone remember that?

OMG I used to play Bamboozle with my Grandad, loved it!
    Haha haven't thought of that in years :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Wait under clery's clock....

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Wait under clery's clock....

I remember friends of mine were going on separate European trips but they agreed to meet in the centre of Bordeaux at a specific date and time, weeks, if not months ahead. And they did!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

I remember friends of mine were going on separate European trips but they agreed to meet in the centre of Bordeaux at a specific date and time, weeks, if not months ahead. And they did!

Nowadays we'd probably forget unless we had a reminder in our phone to meet!

chewed wrote: »
    Nowadays we'd probably forget unless we had a reminder in our phone to meet!

Or you'd be able to cancel by sending a text easily. If you wanted to cancel, you couldn't otherwise you'd be leaving your mate high and dry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Or you'd be able to cancel by sending a text easily. If you wanted to cancel, you couldn't otherwise you'd be leaving your mate high and dry.

In fairness though, you could always just phone the local shop at home and have them drop a message down to your mates mother telling them to tell him, if he calls, that you cant make it.

Jeez, life was hard back then!

In fairness though, you could always just phone the local shop at home and have them drop a message down to your mates mother telling them to tell him, if he calls, that you cant make it.

Jeez, life was hard back then!

But we valued time and effort a lot more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

Write letters.
    Send postcards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Live in the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Photo-Sniper

I enjoyed going to a restaurant and not being met at the door by 150 camera flashes while rag wearing, lidl smelling hipsters took pictures of every single ****ing angle of their baked potato.

I enjoyed going to a restaurant and not being met at the door by 150 camera flashes while rag wearing, lidl smelling hipsters took pictures of every single ****ing angle of their baked potato.

I thought you were about to talk about before you were a celebrity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Photo-Sniper

I thought you were about to talk about before you were a celebrity.
    Heh heh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Played poker with an actual deck of cards and with people in the same room as you.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

in the main square of the small southern Italian town I went vacationing with my parents decades ago

Ah ya poor thing ya.

Nothing has changed for me really. Back then we watched the Holiday shows, these days Google Earth.

Could not afford to go either way.

Played poker with an actual deck of cards and with people in the same room as you.

Actually that's a good one - no "online" computer games, or Xbox Live, or things like Minecraft, or games where there'd be a community of people playing. You played it at home by yourself and that was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Talk
    Read
    Remember stuff

/copypasted from the Nostalgia forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Teletext scared me. I don't even know why....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

I always remember the star prize on Bullseye was a Colour Television with Teletext! It was as if you were getting free 3G on your set!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

ClovenHoof wrote: »
    Ah ya poor thing ya.

Nothing has changed for me really. Back then we watched the Holiday shows, these days Google Earth.

Could not afford to go either way.

Lol, a lot of users on this forum are actually not Irish...I was born and living about 200km from said "small southen Italian town". It's like somebody going from Dublin to Wexford for the holidays :D

But at the time it was considered cool. Now, if you don't at least get to Sharm El Sheik, people won't really consider it a holiday :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Waiting for Godot would have been a fairly short brutal play if it was written in 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Masturbate with our eyes closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Masturbate with our eyes closed.

Our eyes? I think most of us prefered going solo, but whatever floats your boat I suppose.

• Advertisement
Advertisement