Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things we did before the internet and smart phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,850 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The ar*e must have fallen out of the encyclopedia market, haven't seen a door-to-door World Book salesman in years!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Cb radio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Did anyone else have a pager?

kfallon wrote: »
    We didn't take pictures of our willies, gees, boobs and arses!!

Would be rather embarrassing picking up the prints from the local chemist's.....but OK for all the world to see now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Going to the video shop and having a tantrum of epic proportions if the previous renter had not rewound the tape you have got.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Have we all lost ability to talk to one another now without an electronic device in our hands?

I think we don't talk to one another as much any more

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Paddycrumlinman

Used to stock up on the Sun newspaper for some fap material.

Read the back of shampoo bottles when taking a **** Or the said Sun newspaper to kill two birds with one stone.

monflat wrote: »
    Have we all lost ability to talk to one another now without an electronic device in our hands?

Not at all. I have lost the ability to write though. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Actaully a big one and one I think its a vital rite of passage for any teen, and that is ringing the girls house and running the risk of a parent or older brother answering. Frightening. Similarly having to call to the door for them for the first time rather than texting "Im outside".

The other side of it is getting that longed for phone call but one of your parents answers the phone. The embarrassment of having to tell them all about this new girl who you wish to plough, that she is very clever, has all her own teeth and is not into drugs. UGH.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Luke92 wrote: »
    Before smart phones I used my mobile phone to arrange meeting times and didn't show up at a friends house unless he answered his mobile and said it was OK to head over.

I suppose I'm thinking more mobile phones full stop. I got my first one 1998, which means I spent those vital late teenager / early 20s years not knowing if anyone was in. :)

• Advertisement

gimmick wrote: »
    The embarrassment of having to tell them all about this new girl who you wish to plough, that she is very clever, has all her own teeth and is not into drugs. UGH.

"Yes father. Her name is Felicity and I wish to plough her this very eve".

Having to write a strongly worded letter to the newspaper's letters column in order to vent.

Going to a travel agency to book flights / holidays.

Reading the "Be Our Guest" brochure to pick a good hotel in Ireland.

Going inside a bank to pay bills.

Not knowing what anyone thought of the latest episode of a TV show until the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭GL scrappy

Reading the Buy&Sell on the jax, dunnydeal on the smartphone has made the experience richer.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Read the back of shampoo bottles when taking a **** Or the said Sun newspaper to kill two birds with one stone.

A 'pedal & crank' while you shíte? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭Gerry T

Got off the couch to change the TV channel, no remote control back then !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭IamNotNumber

Learned about womens bodies from the lingerie sections in clothes catalogues.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

getting a few minutes of metal or REAL indie on the chart show!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Had only about 2 or 3 stations on the TV. Had no remote for the TV so actually having to get up and change the volume or channel. Rewinding vhs tapes cos someone else didn't. Passed notes to each other in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Wrinting letters if you need particular information from a company rather than being able to get it online.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

We had one channel when I was a kid. RTE.
    We did at one stage have the english channels but they put a blocker in, on the border, to stop us getting the signal.
    So we did not really need a remote control until cable arrived in our town in 1983.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Sit in a cinema screen and actually watch the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

Trawling the Irish Times recruitment pages on a Friday and then posting out your CV (printed roughly on a dot matrix printer) in an envelope and waiting patiently for days, weeks, months.....years, for a response!

Or going to the library to do research, instead of Google and Wikipedia.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

- Waiting from Thursday to the following Thursday to see who was No.1 in the Charts
    - turn on the Radio for either RTE1 or 2FM
    - dial your friends number in public phone box by tapping out the digits on the little push-down things (and using 0 on the dial for 0!!) cos you had no money to call - or the bloody slot thing was jammed with an English 10pence!. And auld wans looking in at you messing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Listen to Atlantic 252. :cool:

Just me..oh. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,154 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

cloud493 wrote: »
    Sit in a cinema screen and actually watch the movie.

After you looked up the time the film was showing in a paper.

I remember queueing for ages in the rain to call home when I was in college.

Masala wrote: »
    dial your friends number in public phone box by tapping out the digits on the little push-down things
    Buttons?
    Masala wrote: »
    (and using 0 on the dial for 0!!).
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,154 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Ruu wrote: »
    Listen to Atlantic 252. :cool:

Just me..oh. :/

between 7 and 10 on a Saturday. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

lol I still do things mentioned here like read books and newspapers, keep a planner/diary, buy and listen to physical copies of music recordings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

smash wrote: »
    Buttons?

:confused:

......if you have to ask....you're too young!! You had to be there really!!

Advertisement