Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does the Catholic Church prey on old people?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

This thread most certainly not go as the op planned

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

O/P I find the actions taken by you deplorable. You have thinly veiled stealing from your family as an okay thing to do in relation to the church sending out these anonymous donation envelopes.

The thing behind the envelopes is that people give what they can and don't feel pressured into donating ore than they can when they see someone else putting more in the collection basket.

You on the other hand are just a thief. You "are holding two watches in trust" and you've admitted you don't even know who actually owns them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

There's no telling who owned the watches anyway. My grandmother lived in the same house with all her other siblings so they could of belonged to any of them, most whom are dead!

Irrelevant. What matters is who does not own them, namely yourself. Don't try to paint what you did as anything but what it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Gannicus wrote: »
    O/P I find the actions taken by you deplorable. You have thinly veiled stealing from your family as an okay thing to do in relation to the church sending out these anonymous donation envelopes.

The thing behind the envelopes is that people give what they can and don't feel pressured into donating ore than they can when they see someone else putting more in the collection basket.

You on the other hand are just a thief. You "are holding two watches in trust" and you've admitted you don't even know who actually owns them.

Just imagine if he found the watches and kept them but said he wouldn't have the oppurtunity to wear the watches.

*shakes fist*

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The way your grand uncle sees it, he is nearing the end of his life, the church offers him an afterlife surrounded by all his friends and loved ones who have passed before him - that's a pretty big draw when you're orbiting the plughole in ever decreasing circles. What do you offer him? Robbing his watches and sticking him in a home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

because vulnerability. it's a recurring theme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

How can you argue that someone with a mental illness does anything voluntary?

I have a mental illness (2, actually), and I manage to make decisions to donate to charities pretty easily.

So, explain what the church has to do with you stealing?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,925 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Put down the shovel, stop digging.

How can you argue that someone with a mental illness does anything voluntary?

Because having a mental illness does not necessarily make you incapable of looking after yourself or making your own choices.

I know people with mental illness who are in fact of perfectly sound mind except for the odd time here and there where they need some-one to help them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Young Blood

The way your grand uncle sees it, he is nearing the end of his life, the church offers him an afterlife surrounded by all his friends and loved ones who have passed before him - that's a pretty big draw when you're orbiting the plughole in ever decreasing circles. What do you offer him? Robbing his watches and sticking him in a home.

Funnily enough, the good old nursing home offered to take the home off him after he died for payment although the home doesn't even belong to him!

See everything in this life has its price once you're old.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Funnily enough, the good old nursing home offered to take the home off him after he died for payment although the home doesn't even belong to him!

See everything in this life has its price once you're old.

Okay. So what did he 'owe' you that made it fine for you to rob from him?

Because having a mental illness does not necessarily make you incapable of looking after yourself or making your own choices.

I know people with mental illness who are in fact of perfectly sound mind except for the odd time here and there where they need some-one to help them.

Maybe the cash coukd of been towards the nursing home but I don't think the church had his best interests at heart!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

But in fairness, I did make off with two brand new watches still boxed, a Tissot and a Seiko, with a total value of around a thousand euro, so it's not all bad!

Put yourself up for adoption. Some people have some really good stuff just lying around.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Recently my grand uncle entered a nursing home after been assessed by a doctor as not being fit enough to live alone.

I went through his personal belongings in his home and packed them up. I found boxes of anonymous donation cards for the Catholic Church.

Tbh it sickened me. The man was barely able to take care of himself never mind his finances and here was the Catholic Church preying on a vulnerable old man like him.

Is this a common thing in Ireland? Considering the envelopes were marked anonymous, there's no telling how much savings the Roman Catholic Church made off with!

I'm sure there are many other cases of this in the country. Imo this is no different from con-men preying on the rural elderly.

But in fairness, I did make off with two brand new watches still boxed, a Tissot and a Seiko, with a total value of around a thousand euro, so it's not all bad!

You are a theif and you stole from an elderly family member, well done sir you are (in my eyes) the lowest of the low :mad:

You are a theif and you stole from an elderly family member, well done sir you are (in my eyes) the lowest of the low :mad:

Do you think the church will pay for the nursing home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

He is family, there is a difference. The man was in no condition to give voluntary anything.

But the church have covered their asses on that one though since it's 'anonymous' donations. They're conscience is clean as far as they're concerned!
    Where's the evidence he even donated anything? There's evidence you stole two watches though.

I suspect this is a tall tale.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Elder people are closer to God. So are tall people. It's short, young people that you have to watch out for. That's why toddlers are so hellish. (Well, mine is being hellish today anyway).

Why should they?

You're just looking for reasons to be outraged at this stage.

• Moderators Posts: 51,733 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

people in glass houses and all that ;)

If you can read this, you're too close!

Maybe the cash coukd of been towards the nursing home but I don't think the church had his best interests at heart!

Well you'd know all about his best interests wouldn't you.

Do you actually understand what a donation is? Do you understand that it's money he gave of his own free will, for his own reasons?

The church has not stolen anything from him nor forced him into anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Sounds like your pissed at the church cus you think there wont be as much for you to fight for once he passes, on, your a sickening individual from the sounds of it, boasting about stealing €1000 from your uncle is disgusting

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Cults pray on the weak , naïve and susceptible. They'd be out of business otherwise .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

You stole from your relative, OP. Your position is untenable.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

What part of it do you not get? They're sent to a lot of people in the parish. They're not a targeted money making campaign (well, not in the way you seem to believe it is). I've had envelopes like that sent to me multiple times and I'm the furthest thing from a vulnerable old man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

Can the thread title be changed to "Why do greedy relatives prey on old people"?

Can the OP not understand the reactions of people? Unless the comments about the watches were thrown in as an attempt at humour, it is totally unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Preyer for prayers. Rolls right off the tongue. My Wafer. :(

Someone GIVING VOLUNTARILY to the church is different to someone TAKING WITHOUT PERMISSION! I have no love for the church and wouldn't even go inside one if you asked me but you sir are a self confessed theif and no better than a sneak thief who burgles homes in the middle of the night.

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Cults pray on the weak , naïve and susceptible. They'd be out of business otherwise .

So do thieves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

This thread most certainly not go as the op planned

Or did it? Looks to me like he's getting exactly the reaction he wanted...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 423 ✭✭The Bould Rabbit

Recently my grand uncle entered a nursing home after been assessed by a doctor as not being fit enough to live alone.

I went through his personal belongings in his home and packed them up. I found boxes of anonymous donation cards for the Catholic Church.

Tbh it sickened me. The man was barely able to take care of himself never mind his finances and here was the Catholic Church preying on a vulnerable old man like him.

Is this a common thing in Ireland? Considering the envelopes were marked anonymous, there's no telling how much savings the Roman Catholic Church made off with!

I'm sure there are many other cases of this in the country. Imo this is no different from con-men preying on the rural elderly.

You were doing reasonably well till you got to the last sentence.

Then you revealed yourself to be a a despicable disgusting thief.
    Although I reckon the whole story is bullshit which makes you a despicable and disgusting liar.

So what are you? A thief or a liar? Either way you have proven to be a despicable and disgusting individual and will never be trusted round these parts again.

You've dirtied your bib now and burned your bridges. You shall walk forever on the other side of the road here on After Hours, shunned by decent folk who shall regard you as untouchable. Your children will not be allowed to play with the other boys and girls and grow up to be delinquents like you.

Your name is mud. More like Bad Bad than Young Blood.

You've let your parents down.
    You've let your brothers and sisters down.
    You've let your dog down.
    Hell, you've let yourself down lad.
    You need to have a long hard think about what you have done.

You'll never get a visa for Merica now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement