Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does the Catholic Church prey on old people?

Options
  • 13-01-2015 9:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

Recently my grand uncle entered a nursing home after been assessed by a doctor as not being fit enough to live alone.

I went through his personal belongings in his home and packed them up. I found boxes of anonymous donation cards for the Catholic Church.

Tbh it sickened me. The man was barely able to take care of himself never mind his finances and here was the Catholic Church preying on a vulnerable old man like him.

Is this a common thing in Ireland? Considering the envelopes were marked anonymous, there's no telling how much savings the Roman Catholic Church made off with!

I'm sure there are many other cases of this in the country. Imo this is no different from con-men preying on the rural elderly.

But in fairness, I did make off with two brand new watches still boxed, a Tissot and a Seiko, with a total value of around a thousand euro, so it's not all bad!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

His money. He can burn it if he wants. None of your business mate.

If he gave it to you for birthdays is that you preying on him?

Its not like they broke into his home.

I am no fan of the church but this type of sensationalist bull is annoying.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

So you stole his possessions but the Catholic Church are the bad guys? Who runs or at least established the nursing he's going to?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,912 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Are you for real?

You just stole 2 watches from your Uncle and you are ranting about envelopes from the church asking for voluntary donations.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Recently my grand uncle entered a nursing home after been assessed by a doctor as not being fit enough to live alone.

I went through his personal belongings in his home and packed them up. I found boxes of anonymous donation cards for the Catholic Church.

Tbh it sickened me. The man was barely able to take care of himself never mind his finances and here was the Catholic Church preying on a vulnerable old man like him.

Is this a common thing in Ireland? Considering the envelopes were marked anonymous, there's no telling how much savings the Roman Catholic Church made off with!

I'm sure there are many other cases of this in the country. Imo this is no different from con-men preying on the rural elderly.

But in fairness, I did make off with two brand new watches still boxed, a Tissot and a Seiko, with a total value of around a thousand euro, so it's not all bad!

It's how the collection plate operates now in most parishes, you put your weekly donation in the envelope and then put it in the collection basket at weekend mass.

Are you worried about your inheritance?

Is that why you were needlessly mooching in his private things?

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Maybe he resented the fact that none of his family took him in and he felt abandoned in a nursing home. Not uncommon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Young Blood

Are you for real?

You just stole 2 watches from your Uncle and you are ranting about envelopes from the church asking for voluntary donations.

He is family, there is a difference. The man was in no condition to give voluntary anything.

But the church have covered their asses on that one though since it's 'anonymous' donations. They're conscience is clean as far as they're concerned!

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭murphm45

I assume these are the weekly collection envelopes everyone in the parish gets, it's how they pay for fun things like heating the church. I'd be surprised if they singled your uncle out and younger members of the catholic community weren't given the same thing. Also the fact that he had loads means it obviously didn't work even if it was targeted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭jaykay74

The man was barely able to take care of himself never mind his finances and here was I the Catholic Church preying on a vulnerable old man like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

cournioni wrote: »
    Maybe he resented the fact that none of his family took him in and he felt abandoned in a nursing home. Not uncommon.

Oh Christ. You don't know why he's gone into a nursing home. He could need 24 hour care from qualified carers. And if you saw the bill from those places, you definitely wouldn't say that he's being "abandoned".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

He is family, there is a difference. The man was in no condition to give voluntary anything.

But the church have covered their asses on that one though since it's 'anonymous' donations. They're conscience is clean as far as they're concerned!

Him donating money to the church and you stealing from him are two very different things.

I can't believe you'd steal from an elderly relative. Fcuking disgusting thing to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭cml387

The church drop those donation envelopes into many houses.
    It's not compulsory to put anything into them.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    It's how the collection plate operates now in most parishes, you put your weekly donation in the envelope and then put it in the collection basket at weekend mass.

Are you worried about your inheritance?

Is that why you were needlessly mooching in his private things?

No, I just think anonymous donations are targeted at people like him!

Him donating money to the church and you stealing from him are two very different things.

I can't believe you'd steal from an elderly relative. Fcuking disgusting thing to do.

Its not theft, im holding them in trust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Its not theft, im holding them in trust.

Of course you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭cml387

When you go visiting your grand uncle in the home, as I'm sure you will, just don't go in wearing the watch and you'll be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

Offical line from Catholic church is Pray For, not Prey On.

I bet if it was the Church of Scientology it would be a different story.

'What's custom isn't theft', me eye!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

I bet if it was the Church of Scientology it would be a different story.

'What's custom isn't theft', me eye!

Tom Cruise would be hunting you down as we speak to recoup those watches.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

Do you actually understand the meaning of the word donation? It's entirely up to him if he wants to donate, no-one is holding a gun to his head. In fact if the envelopes weren't anonymous it could actually be perceived as more pressure. In that case, it's clear who does or doesn't donate and some people may feel obliged.

There's no telling who owned the watches anyway. My grandmother lived in the same house with all her other siblings so they could of belonged to any of them, most whom are dead!

• Advertisement

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    Do you actually understand the meaning of the word donation? It's entirely up to him if he wants to donate, no-one is holding a gun to his head. In fact if the envelopes weren't anonymous it could actually be perceived as more pressure. In that case, it's clear who does or doesn't donate and some people may feel obliged.

Yes I understand what donation means but it requires sound body and mind, does it not?

If he had some mental illness, which he had, how is thst a genuine donation and how can it be recovered?

They are absolute gansters!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,448 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I hope he leaves all his estate to the local cats and dogs home and you don't get 1 cent of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

There's no telling who owned the watches anyway. My grandmother lived in the same house with all her other siblings so they could of belonged to any of them, most whom are dead!

It's pretty obvious that they didn't belong to you.

Vulture.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

padd b1975 wrote: »
    It's how the collection plate operates now in most parishes, you put your weekly donation in the envelope and then put it in the collection basket at weekend mass

This is your explanation right here OP. The Church aren't preying on your uncle at all. It's also quite common among other Religions too. For example Sunday just gone I attended a Catholic service in the morning, a Pentecostal service in the afternoon, and a CoI service in the evening. At each one they had the begging bowls out, but the Pentecostal service goes one better and asks for your PPS number! :eek: :pac:

I've never given any Church a cent. As far as I'm concerned they can take some of that gold and other ornate finery down to a Cash4Gold shop for all I care if they're that stuck.

That's not to say your uncle might well leave a substantial donation to the nursing home in his will though. It's not uncommon for elderly people to do that. If it were me, I'd be keeping a closer eye on him in the nursing home than I'd be wondering what he does with his money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Good man yourself. Justify the theft of something that doesn't belong to you.

I assume since you found the envelopes that he hadn't sent them back with any contribution... Hence voluntary. Everyone in the parish gets a box even me, and I'm not Catholic.
    Also they generally aren't anonymous as the persons name is eitheroon the box or referenced to the numbers in the church office.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,912 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

No. You stole the watches.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Oh Christ. You don't know why he's gone into a nursing home. He could need 24 hour care from qualified carers. And if you saw the bill from those places, you definitely wouldn't say that he's being "abandoned".
    Oh Christ yourself. Did you even read my post or did the red mist descend upon you the moment you saw the word abandoned?

Fact is, some old people resent the fact that they are put into homes, regardless of how much they cost or how much they need the care.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

His money, his business to be honest OP.

And considering you are willing to make off with his watches and laugh about it you really don't have a leg to stand on here.

Donations, by definition, are voluntarily made, so it's not a case of the church stealing his money at all. If anything he would appear to have given it willingly.

I'm not going to deny that the church has done some terrible things in it's time, but not every member is evil and hysterical nonsense like this does nothing to help the situation.

Good man yourself. Justify the theft of something that doesn't belong to you.

I assume since you found the envelopes that he hadn't sent them back with any contribution... Hence voluntary. Everyone in the parish gets a box even me, and I'm not Catholic.
    Also they generally aren't anonymous as the persons name is eitheroon the box or referenced to the numbers in the church office.

How can you argue that someone with a mental illness does anything voluntary?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

No they aren't. These donations are usually parish wide and not compulsory, as think you probably know.

Your grand uncle made his own choice, it's not for you to tell him he's wrong, particularly as you admit to having stolen from him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement