Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

1405 campaign news

• 08-01-2015 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Thought it might be worthwhile to post a thread for the 1405 campaign as the majority of those on here seem a good bit further down the line that us. Hope it helps

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭fish2690

Good idea. This is the mixer I'm in too. On 68 from AC. don't know if it will be enough if the recruitment number stays at 100. Hopefully that number will go up or a lot of people ahead of me pull out due to getting in from the last campaign!

Hoping to hear some news about PCAs soon so we know the ball is rolling for that

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Icarus9

Agreed, good idea. No sign of any PCA invites or vetting forms anyway. If they are running the campaign slower then they may have a break between campaigns and hold the merit list but that would be odd with the training college up and running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

With my AC score I would need nearly everyone infront of me to fail :(

Though to be honest, the longer the wait for the PCA the fitter I can make myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭KevBo2015

Hello everyone! Been following the forums for a while now and seen this thought I would take the opportunity to introduce myself. Passed a c with a score of 83% so hopefully not too long a wait before they start the 2nd campaign vetting letters.

Forums have helped me greatly keep upto date with news and advice so thanks everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 geezoh

Alright...in the same boat just waiting on vetting and pca forms...anyone any idea on the wait? I also spent sometime in bahrain in the last three years ive been told this may slow down my vetting? The wait is a pain never seen recruitment as slow as this even for working abroad...ps i got 78 in the assessment centre..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 AAPD123

geezoh wrote: »
    Alright...in the same boat just waiting on vetting and pca forms...anyone any idea on the wait? I also spent sometime in bahrain in the last three years ive been told this may slow down my vetting? The wait is a pain never seen recruitment as slow as this even for working abroad...ps i got 78 in the assessment centre..

No idea I have just read in another thread that there has been a full squad intake confirmed for February for the previous campaign, hopefully this is good news for us that there is still money about for recruitment.

AAPD123 wrote: »
    No idea I have just read in another thread that there has been a full squad intake confirmed for February for the previous campaign, hopefully this is good news for us that there is still money about for recruitment.

I had believed that they had ring fenced police spending on front line policing whether that includes us im not sure...has the number been cut to 100 for this drive? Thats unfortunate...

I'm dying to hear that our campaign is gona get moving again. I thought it was great to get a break from worrying over Christmas when the results came out but now I'm back to my usual self and want to get going again!!

Praying every night that the original number of 378 are hired this campaign. Would love to hear some news from George.

What have you folks been doing for training for the pca? Have to admit Christmas has left me feeling squidgy...started insanity again its murder but im hoping it will do the trick have me in shape for it..

geezoh wrote: »
    What have you folks been doing for training for the pca? Have to admit Christmas has left me feeling squidgy...started insanity again its murder but im hoping it will do the trick have me in shape for it..

I've been playing football and training for that since summer has kept me up to check with cardio (although Christmas has slowed me down a bit). Started doing a bit of weight training at home to improve strength a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭WannabePC

Goonerdee wrote: »
    With my AC score I would need nearly everyone infront of me to fail :(

Though to be honest, the longer the wait for the PCA the fitter I can make myself!

What score did you get in at the AC Goonerdee? I had 67 which would definitely of been good enough for the last campaign, but not so sure for this one if there's only 100 places! Hopefully chiefy con will manage to scrape enough doh'ray together to take on the 378 or so that was originally planned!

WannabePC wrote: »
    What score did you get in at the AC Goonerdee? I had 67 which would definitely of been good enough for the last campaign, but not so sure for this one if there's only 100 places! Hopefully chiefy con will manage to scrape enough doh'ray together to take on the 378 or so that was originally planned!

62, I'm bottom of the pile unfortunately for me :(

Even if he does get the go ahead for the full 378, I'll be lucky, the 1309 campaign is in its final stages and there are still people with 64 or abouts getting selected!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Sthm

Goonerdee wrote: »
    62, I'm bottom of the pile unfortunately for me :(

Even if he does get the go ahead for the full 378, I'll be lucky, the 1309 campaign is in its final stages and there are still people with 64 or abouts getting selected!

Two full squads totals to anywhere from 60 odd to 84 people. A couple of people had got chatting to a HR staff member on a campaign two familiarisation day and were informed that the attrition rate through the final stages had been around 50%. Therefore, roughly you're looking at processing 120-160 odd to even get two squads.

I wouldn't write yourself off at all no matter what score you're on.

Sthm wrote: »
    Two full squads totals to anywhere from 60 odd to 84 people. A couple of people had got chatting to a HR staff member on a campaign two familiarisation day and were informed that the attrition rate through the final stages had been around 50%. Therefore, roughly you're looking at processing 120-160 odd to even get two squads.

I wouldn't write yourself off at all no matter what score you're on.

As I said I'm looking at it in a positive way in the fitness anyway, reading what other people are doing to get fit is making me think I need to step up another two or three levels!

Villiers has pleaded with Westminster for extra funding its likely that the extra funding will be secured...they have claimed that they need 168 new officers to provide effective policing but that doesn't account for the 200 or so police that retire each year so i would say the original number might still be what they go for...heres hoping...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Sthm

With the large intakes around the early 80s, a lot are due to retire and apparently a large number within a couple of months.

The total number of officers will probably continue to decline even with full recruitment ongoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭pb82

Sthm wrote: »
    With the large intakes around the early 80s, a lot are due to retire and apparently a large number within a couple of months.

The total number of officers will probably continue to decline even with full recruitment ongoing.

I think the numbers due to retire in 2016 are particularly high

Just received a first class, honours degree from jellyschool reading those comments of people getting phone calls today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

fish2690 wrote: »
    Just received a first class, honours degree from jellyschool reading those comments of people getting phone calls today.

This made me lol, haha, right there with Ya fish. I'm hoping maybe with these phone calls going out to the good folks of 1309 that us sods in 1405 will start getting our vetting forms this week lol :)

Same here, know a few people who got a call too! Happy for them but jelous at the same time, wishing it was myself. Do you think then that with the calls going out today the recruitment machine has started again and we will be getting vetting forms this week?

• Advertisement

KevBo2015 wrote: »
    Same here, know a few people who got a call too! Happy for them but jelous at the same time, wishing it was myself. Do you think then that with the calls going out today the recruitment machine has started again and we will be getting vetting forms this week?

I honestly dont know mate, I'm just thinking it's approaching mid Jan, and if 1405 squads are to start May, they will have to start getting the ball a rollin, and I know its done squad by squad but I'm quietly confident that folks this time next month will be getting a call for a March intake, and a fair few are also in campaign 2 and if they are top as such in the merit list in scoring, the recruitment team would have to sorta get people ready to cover that if that was the case, this is all hypothetical mind you lol but I'd imagine vetting forms will start coming though the post for folks relatively soon

I honestly dont know mate, I'm just thinking it's approaching mid Jan, and if 1405 squads are to start May, they will have to start getting the ball a rollin, and I know its done squad by squad but I'm quietly confident that folks this time next month will be getting a call for a March intake, and a fair few are also in campaign 2 and if they are top as such in the merit list in scoring, the recruitment team would have to sorta get people ready to cover that if that was the case, this is all hypothetical mind you lol but I'd imagine vetting forms will start coming though the post for folks relatively soon

I hope you're right! Want to at leat know they're starting to come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Razer33

Just think of it as extra training time, im on a low 70s AC score so not top of the pile or at the bottom. As much as i want to keep moving, personally id rather have the wait and be able to have myself in a better physical standing for the next stage

Razer33 wrote: »
    Just think of it as extra training time, im on a low 70s AC score so not top of the pile or at the bottom. As much as i want to keep moving, personally id rather have the wait and be able to have myself in a better physical standing for the next stage

Yeah I'm in a similar position high 60's and happy to get the time in to get that bit more training done, I know a few fellas who I have played rugby with who failed their pca who were in good nick, shocked me that they failed, so I'm not underestimating the pca at all, it looks a lot easier in the videos than it actually would be as many have said on here

I too would prefer more time to train, especially after eating all round me during christmas ha ha!

I got 83 in the A C and the longer we have to wait for vetting forms the better as I need some serious training... On that note any of you guys hints/tips for what to be doing?

Yeah I'm in a similar position high 60's and happy to get the time in to get that bit more training done, I know a few fellas who I have played rugby with who failed their pca who were in good nick, shocked me that they failed, so I'm not underestimating the pca at all, it looks a lot easier in the videos than it actually would be as many have said on here

I am also high 60s HLad (68) what about yourself?

I too would prefer more time to train, especially after eating all round me during christmas ha ha!

I got 83 in the A C and the longer we have to wait for vetting forms the better as I need some serious training... On that note any of you guys hints/tips for what to be doing?

Honestly man, run, just run, cardio, cardio, and a bit of weight training, I would be more into weight training, and have started doing cross fit to trim up and increase my cardio as well as running, I know there's been a few on here who failed medicals on bmi on here so even if you pass the physical you still need to pass the medical, I'm 6 3" and down to 102kg with a fair bit of muscle, but that's me at a minium and I was told by a serving sergeant if they were me they would try to get below 100kg to be safe, for running, there is an app on iPhone and android C25k basically starts you off from couch to 5k distance running, and it's pretty good, gives you a programme to keep to, more for people who need to start off from scratch running wise but if anyone interested it's worth a look.

Thanks, yeah I would say am reasonably fit just carrying a bit of weight with that. Do a fair bit of weights training and my BMI would show me as overweight for sure, do you know if they are strict on the BMI?

I've been doing some running on the roads, rocky theme tune and all haha! Thinking of doing some circuit type training also to help with the fitness, wondering if post will go out this week with guys getting the calls today meaning I should perhaps up my training!

PCA seems to be a strange beast, i have known people who you know would pass that did, then those you thought would and didnt and then those that you would have given no hope too and they passed, seems to be a good bit about how you approach it on the day aswell as keeping a good level of fitness.
    I have been doing a fair bit of interval training, as alot of people on here have said its the stop start that gets you as much as anything.

• Advertisement

Thanks, yeah I would say am reasonably fit just carrying a bit of weight with that. Do a fair bit of weights training and my BMI would show me as overweight for sure, do you know if they are strict on the BMI?

I have wondered that myself, from what i have gathered on here they can be strict enough on it, its worrying me at the minute i have to say when really i know i should just be keeping my eye on the PCA.

Advertisement