Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Feckin weather!

• 29-12-2014 10:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭

I'm off all this week and absolutely itching to go for a round today but every course in Galway city and county is closed due to the frost. Doesn't look like the temps will get up much today so I won't be going anywhere:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    I'm off all this week and absolutely itching to go for a round today but every course in Galway city and county is closed due to the frost. Doesn't look like the temps will get up much today so I won't be going anywhere:(

Try Connemara Isles (small 9 hole course), it was open yesterday despite the frost.
    I was booked and paid to play Oughterard on Stephen's Day but the day was so horrendous with wind and constant rain I decided to cancel and forfeit my green fee. Pity as both the preceding and following day were both very nice.
    It's an awful time of year for golf, you get a nice sunny and calm day but the courses are closed with frost or alternatively you have to play in gale force winds and driving rain.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Forget about today, hoping to get out tomorrow...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Such frustrating weather I reckon tomorrow will be a right off too for the midlands. That's three rounds I haven't been able to play.

Seriously windy out there at the minute, anyone brave it today?
    Getting out in the morning so hope it will die down a good bit, unfortunately there will be a big temp drop too, me no likes cold+wind :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Was planning on a round in the morning but 15 m/s windspeed is just too much to have fun I think.

Leaving it until Monday or Tuesday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭xFROSTY Gx

I'll be hitting the range soon enough after my dinner this evening.

Tomorrow i have a lesson down in rosslare with a few others.

Followed on sunday by my clubs captains drive in with a small comp afterwards.

Will be interesting what my health will be like come monday morning:rolleyes:

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    ...Was planning on a round in the morning but 15 m/s windspeed is just too much to have fun I think...

index.php?src=http%3A%2F%2Famytintera.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2012%2F08%2Ftumblr_m11s9bAvDq1qjemo2o1_400.gif&size=400x1000

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I'm due to play in the morning...I shall not be bringing the trolley!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭ryaner777

I'm due out in corballis int he morning as well. What clothing would people recommend for tomorrow ( very strong winds and no rain )

My thinking is the tighter the clothes the better otherwise you'll be blown away.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Me boombastic

Head south no frost here in limerick. All courses here are open

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Played 18 this afternoon, windy windy windy.... but enjoyed it all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,634 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

ryaner777 wrote: »
    I'm due out in corballis int he morning as well. What clothing would people recommend for tomorrow ( very strong winds and no rain )

My thinking is the tighter the clothes the better otherwise you'll be blown away.

Lots of thin tight layers I reckon, under armour all the way. Throw a pair of long johns on under the trousers too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

attempted to play today in the wind and rain but it was so disheartning..every second shot would be heavy and when a good contact was made the wind would just carry it away. It made me feel like my game was in a miserable state. Roll on the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,958 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Due to play in am.

But that looks unplayable ?

Anyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭ryaner777

Due to play in am.

Anyone else.

where you playing ? I'm heading out to corballis. Either a PW or a 4i to the first depending on the direction of the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Due to play in am.

Anyone else.

3 to 7 degrees in gusty to strong westerly winds. Take more than that to stop me, plan to play in the morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

As much as I'd love to play but this is no fun. Here to stay for a few days too by the looks of it.

mafc wrote: »
    3 to 7 degrees in gusty to strong westerly winds. Take more than that to stop me, plan to play in the morning

I'm soft but.

No will play. But a bit impractical .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Played this morning in Seapoint with the foolhardy notion I would get in before the worst of it.

It was lovely until the seventh, was tempted to walk in after nine, I knew it was only going to get worse but I had just hit a 6 iron to 12 feet so the lure of better golf ahead proved too strong.

My umbrella snapped in two on the back nine (I'm never buying another brolly in Heatons; you get what you pay for) and then one of my trolley wheels buckled and the bag wouldn't stay upright.

It was enjoyable in a twisted masochistic sense. I love golf :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Waited all week for a round and now it's giving gale force winds and out breaks of rain. Wouldn't mind but there one or two nice days in the week. Could have to bloody cancel, hate this weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Due to head to Mount Juliet tomorrow for a hour long lesson. Alarm set for 6. Not sure about it to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Running Balance

Wombatman wrote: »

where is that. I d say amazing in the summer!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Golf cancelled :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Keano wrote: »
    Golf cancelled :(

Course closed ?

Not 100% sure but I would presume so as one of the lads was checking with thr course this morning and he sent me a text to say no golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Cancelled mine last night, wake up this morning to a strong breeze and little else !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Not 100% sure but I would presume so as one of the lads was checking with thr course this morning and he sent me a text to say no golf.

Nice morning out there now if a bit windy.

Yip, but at 8 this morning with the wind and a wet looking course they had to make a decision :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Got out this am, had all types of weather; some rain, some sun, all wind. 'Twas nice to be out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Great morning for poor golf. can't beat it :-)

Yikes, poor little fingies thawed out at last, very windy and v cold too but given the weather next week braved it for 36 off the forward tees...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

im playing in the morning,the more wind the better.seperates the men from the boys.you would rarely see a soccer match or hurling match called off due to windy conditions

agusta wrote: »
    im playing in the morning,the more wind the better.seperates the men from the boys.you would rarely see a soccer match or hurling match called off due to windy conditions

Do you know what - do we know too much about the weather - the night before yesterday - I was working out that 15 m/sec = 54 km/hour - :rolleyes:

For God sake - as a young lad you would wake up, pull curtains to see what mystery the day had in store. The only thing that would ever stop a game is a flooded pitch.

As others have said, are we golfers on here or not ? You live in Ireland get out and do it (Sorry self motivation speech over :P )

When I got to the course in morning - there was others saying , "I expected today to be called off" - I half did myself. Another lad laughed, how could you call off golf because of wind, your in Ireland .

And then we are off, have all the gear, if I didn't use it, why do I have it ? The only thing is my young soft skin was like this :o at end. - Any good tips from the seasoned lads ?

I'm not saying - I love playing in it - but I did love it yesterday - It is true, if you can hit your irons well - you are at a major , major advantage.

So a week of wind - twice in winners circle.

I wish I could work out how to use this game on a normal still day in june.

As The Big said - I love golf :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Course closed this morning due to flooding, forecast no better for next week, I really picked two bad weeks for holidays from work

• Advertisement

Tips for keeping warm for me it's all about the hands as two quality layers and a windbreaker top and I'm fine. For my hands it mitts with a hand warmer and mitts on and off all day, unfortunately I didn't think it would be as cold yesterday as it was so left my hand warmer at home, find it very hand to hit my irons with numb fingers and harder still to gauge putts, bring on shorts and sunblock!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

slave1 wrote: »
    Tips for keeping warm for me it's all about the hands as two quality layers and a windbreaker top and I'm fine. For my hands it mitts with a hand warmer and mitts on and off all day, unfortunately I didn't think it would be as cold yesterday as it was so left my hand warmer at home, find it very hand to hit my irons with numb fingers and harder still to gauge putts, bring on shorts and sunblock!
    For me like you the hand are most important,keeps the clubs dry is the second most important.
    A tip i got from a senior golfer i got years ago, On really cold days to get your hands to warm up.Before you play rubs your hand in the cold grass and keep doing it until they are nearly numb.Very hard to do,You nearly have to go through the pain barrier to do it right.20 minutes later your hand will be on fire with the heat in them,you wont have any need for gloves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

Yesterday was very playable, bar the odd drizzle icing the hands, was great to get out, such a relief

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Barnseire

For those of you with 'hands that do dishes' and can't stand a little cold breeze like over the weekend, invest in a pair of Mizuno thermal gloves. I got a pair from Santie and they are the dogs. At one stage my hands were on fire, unfortunately my game wasn't. Less than 20 euro delivered from amazon. A must for Winter golfers. No need to flaff around taking on and off mitts, just leave them on and enjoy.

I think I won crazy golf of the year today. 20 M/sec wind, played 13 practice in Corballis.
    2nd hole 2 - 5 irons normally 2 - 9 irons.
    the par 3 9th - normally a 6 iron - Full driver. (lol)

So was interesting to experience it, headed in as bag was just blowing over too much, and my bag is stable and heavy enough.

Not sure what I made of it, was more like an endurance test.

Got 5 pars, were sort of flukes / freaks.

Par on 9 , worth the day out, a first a driver to about 10 feet on a par 3.

A laugh - well strange.

• Advertisement

You are officially crazy Fixed. Not sure what you are learning in conditions like that!!

You are officially crazy Fixed. Not sure what you are learning in conditions like that!!

That I am crazy.
    1st step in any problem......

Hang on about 9 /10 others out.

You is mad
    giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

I've done that kind of madness before, i remember playing in the west one year and RD1 of qual was cancelled (takes a lot for them to cxl) due to high winds, literally balls were being blown off greens at speed! so a few of us went out to play a few holes as they opened the course for casual play. Was some of the best fun ive had on a golf course, driver into the 4th and one of the ads hit his 3w onto the 18th.

Actually was a good move coz it was just as windy the next day so had a good idea what to expect!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Barnseire

I don't know about crazy. I think it's always good to learn how to play in wind and there's no better place to practice than extreme conditions, like hitting driver off the deck from bald lies, or trying to hit low hooks into the wind, or forcing punch shots from 30 yards out instead of throwing it up.

You can learn valuable lessons out there, and no need to power up the GPS !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

So there will be frost tomorrow in Dublin I presume? Very cold tonight and not going to warm up much past a few degrees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Just got an email from the club to make sure to check the automated message before travelling to the course this saturday and sunday due to the heavy frost that is forecast.
    If the forecast is anything to go by I'd say a lot of courses will be closed this weekend : (

Tomorrow will be a little better than today. Today was perfect if you were on coast or a links.
    Killeen Caslte was closed due to the sleet that had fallen.

But, if you do get out at all, looks a fantastic day for golf. Double up - socks and everything.

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Leinster/Dublin/hour_by_hour.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

Woke up to beaming sunshine..said to myself lets go for a round..got the gear together threw on the wet gear just to be safe..got in the car. Do you think I could get the car to start!! No hope..battery was totally flat..doesnt get more annoying than that..spent whole day lookin out the window.

Nozebleed wrote: »
    Woke up to beaming sunshine..said to myself lets go for a round..got the gear together threw on the wet gear just to be safe..got in the car. Do you think I could get the car to start!! No hope..battery was totally flat..doesnt get more annoying than that..spent whole day lookin out the window.

No push or jump around.

• Advertisement
Advertisement