Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Feckin weather!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

The forecast is bloody abysmal for this weekend:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

ronnie3585 wrote: »

Standard weekend forecast really!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I'm trying not to believe the forecast as it's a glorious day here so far.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Yep looks like we are done for with a front stallin over the middle of the country on Saturday, maybe Sunday although courses may be too wet to open,

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Honestly :(

slave1 wrote: »
    Honestly :(

Utter muck, so sick of this:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,997 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Wow, its been dry for a week now with the exception of Friday, nothing at all yesterday and last night. Not a puff off wind, the sun is out and I'm on a 10 o'clock slot. Looks like I'm actually going to play golf today. :eek:

Typically those comeback days are either surprisingly ok or else a complete disaster...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

Boskowski wrote: »
    Wow, its been dry for a week now with the exception of Friday, nothing at all yesterday and last night. Not a puff off wind, the sun is out and I'm on a 10 o'clock slot. Looks like I'm actually going to play golf today. :eek:

Typically those comeback days are either surprisingly ok or else a complete disaster...

The rain/snow on Friday put me off this weekend. Added to the morning frost of the weekend I stand by my paddys day prediction of a comeback!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Lovely day for golf (if a bit chilly) in Moate yesterday but the rain is back with a vengeance today.

• Advertisement

Jaysus lads unreal out there.

Played in nice stuff on Thursday and Friday.

In fact, I have been very lucky.

I need - need, good weather next weekend - but it literally could be anything.

In fairness, has been a great September and early October. But didn't get much golf in sadly.

My course was closed today first time in ages, pity as I'd a full weekend of golf lined up. Looking at the forecast it could be closed again tomorrow :(

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Portumna was short sleeves yesterday, full sun from about 10 onwards, if you had the shorts in the bag it was perfect for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Galway area was a disaster yesterday. Pretty much unplayable with standing water on greens and fairways. Torrential rain meant didnt we even venture beyond the clubhouse. Annoying as still get charged the comp fees as officially the course was open

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Webbs wrote: »
    Galway area was a disaster yesterday. Pretty much unplayable with standing water on greens and fairways. Torrential rain meant didnt we even venture beyond the clubhouse. Annoying as still get charged the comp fees as officially the course was open

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

How could you get charged a competition fee if you didn't play the competition??

How could you get charged a competition fee if you didn't play the competition??

Its brought in by the club, that if your name is on the timesheet at 6pm the previous evening then you are deemed to be playing in that comp.
    Its all done automatically through BRS as far as I can tell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

Of course you should be charged if the competition went ahead.
    I'd applaud any club who introduces this measure as it weeds out the time wasters and messers.

I'd applaud any club who introduces this measure as it weeds out the time wasters and messers.

Agree on the whole it's a good thing as allows people to get in time sheet the day before if they missed the boat earlier in week.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

handicap cut applies when placing on fairway only?
    no cut in handicap if placing in the rough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

handicap cut applies when placing on fairway only? no cut in handicap if placing in the rough?

That's usually the deal. Competition designated as non-qualifying

Agree with this.

I know there are exceptions - things happen.

But these fools, habitually reserving the same slot - then about 30 - 40 of them pulling out.

Lads - you are grown men , it is Thursday - Friday , you surely know what you are doing on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

handicap cut applies when placing on fairway only?
    no cut in handicap if placing in the rough?

Believe it has to be play as it lies in the rough ie no LC&D either

Gagging for a game, time booked for this morning, got up to find it was -4 and hard frost had set everywhere:mad:

^ Likewise. Was looking forward to my first round of 2017.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

^ Likewise. Was looking forward to my first round of 2017.

We played your neighbour course there on Monday. The course should have really been closed, ground was rock solid and most greens were frozen for most of the round, balls were bouncing off them when pitching in :eek: We were loosing balls in either the frozen white grass or where the "fairways" had thawed and the were plugging.
    We should have left it for another day only a friend of mine is home from abroad and it was the only day we could play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭golfer555

Haven't been able to play for a while but the one morning I'm free course closed cause of frost. Hopefully it'll open by 12.

golfer555 wrote: »
    Haven't been able to play for a while but the one morning I'm free course closed cause of frost. Hopefully it'll open by 12.

Yeah same as that!

I'm starting to wonder if it's closed to suit them, it's 6 degrees outside and not a cloud in sight.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Great day yesterday, first game since October, hadn't lifted a club and played grand with 35pts, bit tired at the end, happy with that, roll on the extra hour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Lovely and warm today. It was teeshirt weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Dbu

Jeez Lads, Dont think we will see much golf in Cork anyway this weekend, milling it down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Dbu wrote: »
    Jeez Lads, Dont think we will see much golf in Cork anyway this weekend, milling it down.

Ha, was just looking at the forecast & thinking of this thread. Great minds think alike :D

It's looking fairly rough alright, I'm due out Sunday morning, not sure what kind of state the course will be in

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ProV

With soil saturation levels extremely high this week, what courses are closed ?
    Here's a few in Dublin closed on Saturday 4th :
    Ballinascorney
    Donabate
    Dublin Mountain
    Hollystown
    Edmondstown
    Grange Castle
    Silloge Park

Kildare:
    Dunmurry Springs
    Naas
    Meath:
    Rathcore
    Monaghan:
    Concra Woods
    Rossmore
    Mannan Castle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

Concra woods
    rossmore
    mannan castle

all closed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭kenkin

Hollystown also closed today

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ProV

With soil saturation levels extremely high this week, what courses are closed ?
    Here's a few in Dublin closed w/end 4th/5th March.
    Ballinascorney
    Clontarf
    Donabate
    Dublin Mountain
    Elm Park
    Hollystown
    Edmondstown
    Grange Castle
    Rathfarnham
    Silloge Park
    St. Margaret's

Kildare:
    Dunmurry Springs
    Naas
    Meath:
    Rathcore
    Monaghan:
    Concra Woods
    Rossmore
    Mannan Castle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

It might be easier to post ones that were open!
    St. Margaret’s and Clontarf closed too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Corbslis was open...and very fecking busy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭benny79

First time in 5 years my club (Athy) closed on a Sunday. I wont mind it was opened sat! Sunday was fine out..

It was a lovely day in Moate on Sunday but the course was closed. Fairways and greens were fine but it was pretty bad even in the light rough so it would have been a mud bath. Frustrating but understandable given the amount of rain that fell all week.

Put the clubs back up in the attic as its giving horrible weather all weekend :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Shot gun start at 11am for St Patricks day, I'm just looking out the window contemplating how good my wet gear is.....

Senna wrote: »
    Shot gun start at 11am for St Patricks day, I'm just looking out the window contemplating how good my wet gear is.....

Ah you'd be mad to go out in that! No enjoyment out there today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

golfer555 wrote: »

It was cancelled anyway, so that made the decision. Bloody weather

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

golfer555 wrote:

Booked the Moyvalley Paddy's Day Open on Tuesday while looking out the window at the glorious sunshine in work... well, that didn't last! :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Played the Curragh today conditions tough, wet and windy but had the gear on and it was enjoyable enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

I can not believe the weather is doing what the weather does, it's mad Ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

mafc wrote: »
    Played the Curragh today conditions tough, wet and windy but had the gear on and it was enjoyable enough.
    Behind enemy lines for you, going try your gaff for the open in the morning, hope the weather is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Behind enemy lines for you, going try your gaff for the open in the morning, hope the weather is better.

Lol

Will be there in the afternoon if you're around, we can have a pint or two 😜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Dbu

Had to open this again..milling it down in Cork....no Wednesday eve golf:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

Yeah, same in Galway:(

Glad I got Tuesday eve golf, lovely evening:D

Advertisement