Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetherspoons For Waterford

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Their pints are€2.95 in Ireland £2.50 in the UK

I was just going by the prices in the menu i quoted and there is 11 different drinks priced at €2.50 a pint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

I was just going by the prices in the menu i quoted and there is 11 different drinks priced at €2.50 a pint

I stand corrected, apologies

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Their pints are€2.95 in Ireland £2.50 in the UK

In NI pints of beer range from 1.80 to 2.80 stg approx.

See here:

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/586407/331900.jpg

O Riain wrote: »
    They are having a laugh if they think Irish people are going to drink Traditional English Ales.

Everything else about wetherspoons is great though!

First pint I bought on my first visit to JD WS in Blackrock was an Adnam's ale.

S
    However now that Wetherspoons is ending its deal with Heineken because of hassle over Irish prices it will be interesting to see what they end up with on tap, both in the UK and Ireland, especially stouts. They already don't have Guinness in the Dublin pub, now they won't have Beamish or Murphys either.

The BeerNut is reporting that Beamish will return to the TTT in Blackrock.

• Advertisement

dzilla wrote: »
    They have gotten Marstons Stout in now I believe since last Wednesday

Two stouts added to replace Murphy's / Beamish.

http://www.jdwetherspoon.ie/pdf/ThreeTunTavernDec14.pdf

Bath Ales Dard Side stout and Revisionist Craft stout, both 2.50.

A nice description of some pros and cons of JD WS pubs, with the author coming around to liking them:

http://petebrown.blogspot.ie/2014/12/why-j-d-wetherspoons-is-fast-becoming.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Geuze wrote: »

There so cheap its crazy :O. Perfect place to be going before you hit a late bar or a club in waterford as at them prices you don't need to be drinking at home.

Double Vodkas and cokes for €6. €3.50 for a shot of sambuca. Craft bears for €2.45 and the fact is that you can get food with it as well. This is going to be my fave place to hit before heading out. About time there is going to be cheap drinks in waterford.

T

Double Vodkas and cokes for €6. €3.50 for a shot of sambuca. Craft bears for €2.45 and the fact is that you can get food with it as well. This is going to be my fave place to hit before heading out. About time there is going to be cheap drinks in waterford.

Double vodka = 3.95 + 2.00 = 5.95

Free mixer, but not Coca-Cola.

200ml Coca-Cola = 1.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭dzilla

Yup, Revisionist Made by Marstons I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Double vodka = 3.95 + 2.00 = 5.95

Free mixer, but not Coca-Cola.

200ml Coca-Cola = 1.50.

Seen that there but they also do Pepsi cola and there's your mixer there ;).

Also a 398ML glass for Pepsi not a bottle so i say you will get a dash of it as your mixer.

Have to wait and see anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

I see the Metalmen are going to start doing beer in cans, they say its a better drink because 'light' with bottled beer can have an effect on it.

Now who said Bottles are always best:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,531 ✭✭✭Speak Now

danjo-xx wrote: »
    I see the Metalmen are going to start doing beer in cans, they say its a better drink because 'light' with bottled beer can have an effect on it.

Now who said Bottles are always best:)

Isnt that why all the craft beers are in brown bottles?

Shame the cans aren't out for Christmas.

Would be nice to see them in Wetherspoons.

Isnt that why all the craft beers are in brown bottles?

Shame the cans aren't out for Christmas.

Would be nice to see them in Wetherspoons.

yeah but apparently the cans are even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MentalMario

Hopefully they arent 330ml cans on Metalman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Hopefully they arent 330ml cans on Metalman
    The Metal Man cans are 330ml. I doubt we'll see the cans in pubs (locally at least) when the draught is so popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Can someone explain to me what is the appeal of microbrews and local beers? Have tried a lot of them and every time I'm disappointed.
    Some are just horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭dzilla

STIG83 wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me what is the appeal of microbrews and local beers? Have tried a lot of them and every time I'm disappointed.
    Some are just horrible.

People like them and choice is good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Some are just horrible.

Your tastebuds needs to develop. I actually can't drink many generic beers anymore they nearly make me sick, can't bayte the flavour of a really decent craft brew!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Some are just horrible.

i suppose taste is personal but proper craft or micro beers are so full of flavour compared to the main stream mass produced stuff (Bud, Heineken, etc etc) that there is simply no comparison.
    I wouldnt drink those mass produced things now if you gave to me for free, they are nearly 100% devoid of taste, are produced with additions of things like rice and corn because that is cheaper than barley and hops.
    My taste buds developed and i would rather have 2 pints of nice metalman etc than 10 pints of the mass coloured water. unfortnautely, a lot of people prefer to drink 10 pints and the craft ones are so full of flavour you actually dont want to drink more than just a nice few.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MentalMario

Max Powers wrote: »
    i suppose taste is personal but proper craft or micro beers are so full of flavour compared to the main stream mass produced stuff (Bud, Heineken, etc etc) that there is simply no comparison.
    I wouldnt drink those mass produced things now if you gave to me for free, they are nearly 100% devoid of taste, are produced with additions of things like rice and corn because that is cheaper than barley and hops.
    My taste buds developed and i would rather have 2 pints of nice metalman etc than 10 pints of the mass coloured water. unfortnautely, a lot of people prefer to drink 10 pints and the craft ones are so full of flavour you actually dont want to drink more than just a nice few.

Perfectly put.

I'm enjoying a lot of Mine Head by the Dungarvan Brewing Company lately. Expensive though.

The more craft stuff you drink, the less you'll like the mass produced stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,531 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Some are just horrible.

Well some can be horrible Stig while some can be great. Which ones have you tried? If you've tried metalman pale ale and didn't like it then hops probably just aren't your thing. What's your normal tipple? Someone might point you to similar style only tastier! For example if you like stout then O'Haras Leann Follain is worth a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Some are just horrible.

Because its "Hip" to drink craft beers these days ;)

Have a read of this it explains it better :p

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2014/10/22/heineken-sales-down-as-dickheads-migrate-to-craft-beers/

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2014/10/22/heineken-sales-down-as-dickheads-migrate-to-craft-beers/

Well put. A few pints of metalman leads to a splitting headache the next day.

a14-e1413974284558.jpg

I've seldom if ever got a pint of hydrogen with a good head like that:(

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

With both Wetherspoons & T&H's to be open soon, that whole area should become busier in the evenings and that can only be a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭jimbo1979

Had tom creans Irish lager before in his pub.the south pole annuscaul co.Kerry.it is top quality lager.looking forward to weather spoons opening up and shaking the market up a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

O Riain wrote: »
    Your tastebuds needs to develop. I actually can't drink many generic beers anymore they nearly make me sick, can't bayte the flavour of a really decent craft brew!

that's the biggest load of BS ever, you really are falling for the marketing if you believe that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

that's the biggest load of BS ever, you really are falling for the marketing if you believe that.

name some distinct flavours from heineken? now name some from budweiser and carlsberg and compare :)

if your answer is "beer" and that's all you can taste then you just have a poor palate :)

have you tasted any efforts from microbrewries rather than mass produced beer that uses inferior ingredients to save money (hops being the most expensive that are found in higher quantities in IPA's) and actively go to great lengths to ensure a consistent taste in every single country in the world.

sure let's all go abroad to experience the world for a holiday and head straight to the Irish pub for a pint of guinness! it'll be like we never left arf :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

If that's what you think I reckon your missing out. Almost all my mates will not touch heineken, bud, carlsberg anymore after gradually moving to craft beers. Most of them thought it was a load of nonsense at first but wont go back now. Nothing to do with marketing, all about taste.

Advertisement