Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hungry? C4 to create comedy series...about the famine

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Allyall wrote: »
    So, because Channel 4 made Father Ted, then that gives them some sort of allowance to film a comedy about the Famine?
    An American TV station wouldn't need to have made a comedy series laughing at Shinto or Buddhism.
    A comedy set during the aftermath of Hiroshima and Nagasaki would most likely be considered the equivelant, and very bad taste. IT's likely that it wouldn't be made, regardless of whether or not they had made a comedy about Shinto or Buddhism on their TV station before.

An American TV station would surely need to have some kind of 'in' with the Japanese market for it to be a success in Japan, was my point (on top of it likely needing to be in Japanese, which would make very little sense for FOX, HBO, etc to bother with). Meanwhile, US audiences by and large wouldn't give a sh*t about a post-Hiroshima based comedy so it would likely make about as much business sense as investing in a briefcase of cash, a large fan, and the equipment needed for making a bonfire.

Meanwhile, Life is Beautiful was made in Italy who were Hitler's closest allies in WWII.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

I think the fact that Shameless has been named as some sort of comparable type of show indicates that this won't exactly be the highest of browed stuff.

The people who died during the famine where in the lowest strata economically and socially similar to the characters from Shameless. It is more true to life if these characters are being depicted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Pantigate was our Krystallnacht and this is our Danish cartoons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I think the fact that Shameless has been named as some sort of comparable type of show indicates that this won't exactly be the highest of browed stuff.

Being low brow doesn't mean something is going to be offensive. Blackadder isn't high brow stuff either.

And even if Shameless is lowbrow the writing in the first two series of it was bloody fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

I think it would be a bit like RTE making a tv show about a black family living in 1920's america.

South park did starvin marvin but that was in the context of a show that was already controversial and it wasn't the basis of an entire series.
    If for instances black adder found himself in Ireland during the famine, that would have been at least acceptable, because it was a real event that (imagine the timelines line up) would have been relevant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

somefeen wrote: »
    I think it would be a bit like RTE making a tv show about a black family living in 1920's america.

Father Ted was a Channel 4 show, too, remember. Just because they're doing it doesn't mean it's not going to be a distinctly Irish affair (I'm not saying it will be, because I've yet to see who's attached to write or star, but just because it's C4 means nothing at all)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Also most people died from disease not starvation.

Well, the lack of food would have increased susceptibility to disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Daryl Strawberry

Get on with your lives people, and stop seeking opportunities to be offended.

Dont watch if you dont want to

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

stop seeking opportunities to be offended.

Sure AH would collapse. Mad talk altogether.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Have a small bit of respect,will ya.:rolleyes:

Should they make the 9/11 comedy first.They would in their fcuk.
    BBDBB wrote: »
    and call it Faulty Towers?

Or the Friends version aimed at conspiracy nuts.

[Ross]Demolition charges? Those steel beams were on a break! [/Ross]
    [Chandler]Could those planes be any more like government sponsored missiles? [/Chandler]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭scouttio

Get on with your lives people, and stop seeking opportunities to be offended.

Dont watch if you dont want to

Let's be honest folks, I think this is the only true sensible thing said in this thread really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

COYVB wrote: »
    Father Ted was a Channel 4 show, too, remember. Just because they're doing it doesn't mean it's not going to be a distinctly Irish affair (I'm not saying it will be, because I've yet to see who's attached to write or star, but just because it's C4 means nothing at all)

There's an Irish writer and that's all.

The scripts haven't even been written yet so people are getting outraged over something that's yet to exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

WWN's take on the whole thing - they're not wrong!!!
    FOLLOWING significant outcry from some sections of the public regarding Channel 4′s decision to produce a comedy centred around the Irish famine, the public has also taken the time to show complete indifference to the ‘Vikings’ which is filmed in Ireland.

Many media outlets have already reported on Irish people’s outrage at a comedy, which will only show the British people waving food in front of starving Irish children before kicking them multiple times, while simultaneously making a fart noise. However, at this point all storylines remain unconfirmed.

“It’s unconscionable that people would make fun of such a dark period of Irish history,” confirmed Eileen Callinan whose knowledge of The Famine is currently made up of half-remembered things she was taught in 5th class 27 years ago.
    Such is the long shadow cast by the Famine on the Irish psyche many angry responses from the Irish public were only made after a quick reread of all things Famine on Wikipedia.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

lertsnim wrote: »
    I can't wait till someone does a comedy series based on the Holocaust.

...and calls it "Hi-de-Hitler".... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 38 KevinMunster12

yeah, lets not get offended, it was only a genocide that killed over a million Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

yeah, lets not get offended, it was only a genocide that killed over a million Irish

Here we go.

Here we go.

......again :D

I always wonder why the Famine of 1740/41 doesn't get the same attention as the Great Famine.

The earlier famine killed proportionately more of the population, especially as there was a lot of grain hoarding.

I guess some people haven't got to the Wikipedia article yet ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Jawgap wrote: »
    I always wonder why the Famine of 1740/41 doesn't get the same attention as the Great Famine.

The earlier famine killed proportionately more of the population, especially as there was a lot of grain hoarding.

I guess some people haven't got to the Wikipedia article yet ;)

I suppose the fact that the Great Hunger lasted around 7 years.

I suppose the fact that the Great Hunger lasted around 7 years.

.....and still killed proportionately less of the population than died in the 'Year of Slaughter'......

.....and it was just one of 85 'subsistence crises' or famines that occurred in Ireland between 1290 and 1890. Aside from the Big One, and the one I just mentioned, I doubt most people wouldn't even know two of the other 83.......

......and the reason the Great Famine gets a lot of publicity is for various political reasons and the fact that it was the last great subsistence crisis to hit Europe outside war time.......but you knew that already.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

@Jawgap

You are putting serious energy into this thread.

Are you Hugh Travers,the writer for this.??

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

If anyone is going to look bad in this show it will be the British. It's as likely to be a show that highlights the horrors of British imperialism more than make fun of starving people.

It could be a funny show. For all the starving that went on a hell of a lot of our music and stories came out of that period of time as well.

ScumLord wrote: »
    a show that highlights the horrors of British imperialism .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

Potentially positive? Are you for real? The English will have a great laugh at the thick Paddies who couldn't grow their potatoes.

They ll have more of a laugh at how island foke starved to death, in hindsight we prob shuda just went fishing...

That said i think its in poor taste tho, to make fun of famine,

@Jawgap

You are putting serious energy into this thread.

Are you Hugh Travers,the writer for this.??

I'm not Hugh Travers (and neither is my wife)

And I'm not putting any energy into this thread - like the rest of boards.ie it's just a distraction, occasionally interesting, mostly diverting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

Annoying nationalist morons is a welcome bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Or WW2 Nazi occupied France...

Allo Allo Allo what have we here then ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

Gatling wrote: »
    Allo Allo Allo what have we here then ;)

Or british soldiers getting blown up in afghan! or maybe isis, makin lols out of beheadings an all that good stuff childrens schools getting blown up be hilarious altogether! when that runs dry they could do a spin off about the school shootings in the USA because hey... its only a laugh and nothing should be off limits!

evo2000 wrote: »
    Or british soldiers getting blown up in afghan! or maybe isis, makin lols out of beheadings an all that good stuff childrens schools getting blown up be hilarious altogether! when that runs dry they could do a spin off about the school shootings in the USA because hey... its only a laugh and nothing should be off limits!

Did you miss Four Lions?
    Four Lions tells the story of a group of British jihadists who push their abstract dreams of glory to the breaking point. As the wheels fly off, and their competing ideologies clash, what emerges is an emotionally engaging (and entirely plausible) farce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

MadsL wrote: »
    Did you miss Four Lions?

That was a quality film.

Advertisement