Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Gaming, General & Off Topic Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Kiith wrote: »
    So i'm trying to decide what monitor setup to use at my desk. I'm currently split between 2 24" (regular 1080p) screens, or one 27" (IPS 2560x1440) screen. I would occasionally alt tab to do other things on my current setup, but i'm not sure i use it enough to get the 2nd screen. Is the dual monitor setup better for gaming? Also, would 27" be too big when sitting right in front of the screen?

I'm limited in my choices at the moment, as i'm using a €200 one2all voucher to buy the screen (as well as cash to reach the price). Might try pawn it on adverts, and buy something online instead.

Having 2 OK monitors, to me, is more important than having 1 good one. I have guides, CPU/GPU monitors and all sorts of fun stuff up on my second one using borderless windowed mode to seamlessly alt-tab.

Luckily I don't have to choose between 2 ok and 1 good since I have 2 27" 1440p ones :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Luckily I don't have to choose between 2 ok and 1 good since I have 2 27" 1440p ones :D

Are you using two Yamakasi Catleap monitors? If so how much did you get them for?

Interested in a dual monitor setup myself down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Cravez wrote: »
    Are you using two Yamakasi Catleap monitors? If so how much did you get them for?

Interested in a dual monitor setup myself down the line.

:D

€200 second hand and €250 new.
    Jesus that sounds like a lot now that I say it... :\

In reality I'm only using the second one while girlfriends desk isn't deep enough. She is using my 23" Ultrasharp.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,996 ✭✭✭Wossack

had similar concerns when I bought my 27", and now Im considering getting an ultra wide 34" lol

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I had a 22 inch monitor but now I use my 32inch tv :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

29" ultrawide is the biz, I went 4K for a while but when back to the ultrawide. The resolution is just incredible for games, especially FPS like Battlefield, Metro, Crysis, so on and so forth. Hard to give up that FOV when you get used to it.

Annoying downside is that not all games support the resolution - vast majority of AAA titles do, but older games/indie/etc don't really.

Overall though it's by far my preferred over 1440p and 4k.

1920x1080

2560x1080

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

29" ultrawide is the biz, I went 4K for a while but when back to the ultrawide. The resolution is just incredible for games, especially FPS like Battlefield, Metro, Crysis, so on and so forth. Hard to give up that FOV when you get used to it.

Annoying downside is that not all games support the resolution - vast majority of AAA titles do, but older games/indie/etc don't really.

UJGIVOO.jpg

DeURK0T.jpg

What happens if it doesn't support the resolution? Does it stretch it out, black bars or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Did you consider 3440x1440?

At an extra 100 or so quid than 4k not sure they're worth it but if you really love the resolution or can't run 4k it might start to become more mainstream as people start to upgrade from 2560x1080.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Anybody here use the new xbox one controller on PC? Thinking of getting it, not sure though. I'm used to the xbox 360 controller from playing on xbox and it is fine on pc. But playing Borderlands 2 and in the heat of battle I want to change weapon with the dpad and the wrong weapon opens up, like I would be pressing right and as I am so focused on the game I must press slightly up and the weapon allocated to up will open, not good when you need a shotgun quickly as you are just about to die.

The new xbox one controller has a normal plus dpad and also rubble on the triggers so should be good, don't actually know if they work on PC, so if someone is using one let me know. cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Anybody here use the new xbox one controller on PC? Thinking of getting it, not sure though. I'm used to the xbox 360 controller from playing on xbox and it is fine on pc. But playing Borderlands 2 and in the heat of battle I want to change weapon with the dpad and the wrong weapon opens up, like I would be pressing right and as I am so focused on the game I must press slightly up and the weapon allocated to up will open, not good when you need a shotgun quickly as you are just about to die.

The new xbox one controller has a normal plus dpad and also rubble on the triggers so should be good, don't actually know if they work on PC, so if someone is using one let me know. cheers.

MS have released an official driver for both 32/64 bit systems so you should be good to go if you want one. Same layout as the 360 controller so id presume the button mapping is the same.

I agree,the 360 for PC controller is not cutting it anymore,personally im waiting to see what Valve come up with for there controller before i buy anything.

EDIT: Here is the link for the drivers and support page:

http://support.xbox.com/en-IE/xbox-one/accessories/controller-pc-compatibility

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Anybody here use the new xbox one controller on PC?

I have it, along with the 360 pad for 2 player fifa (mostly). It's a good pad, and i enjoy using it. The rumble works afaik, though i've not used it that much. Worked perfectly once the driver was installed.

Which ultrawide screen did you go for? I sold my one4all voucher, so will be buying either a 27" or a 29" over the next day or so. Max budget of around €400.

Dell U2913WM - €390
    LG 29UB55 - €342
    or
    Acer K272HULBMIIDP - €359

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Does the Xbone controller work perfectly via bluetooth or is wired only?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

dreamers75 wrote: »

Only wired so far.

It's wired only also it is not bluetooth, it's wifi as far as I know. I have the xbox 360 pc wifi adaptor so I'm hoping in the future some update will come out to make the wifi adaptor be compatible with the xbox one controller. Wishfull thinking though, I'd say i could be waiting a long time for that to happen.

Damn Borderlands 2 DLC. Sir Hammerlock's Big Game Hunt is seriously difficult. Damn witches and them feckers with the magical spears. Costs 50 grand+ very time you die. Decided after dying so many times that i will come back later. Dying is costing me too much. Fast traveled back to Santuary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Goat Simulator is better than I expected. Absolutely pointless, but so full of little details. Great bit of escapism and physics fun.

I really wasn't blown away by The Witcher 2's gameplay but I adore the universe it's set in so I said I'd give the books a go.

I still adore the universe.

The dialogue can be a bit clunky to say the least - it's translated from Polish and some elements don't sound like things that humans say but that aside I love them so far.

I've read the Last Wish which is the first book and The Sword of Destiny, which is chronologically the 2nd but was never officially released in English.
    I'm almost certain this fan translation is legit and above board so I'm going to link it for anyone interested. (Feel free to snip if necessary mods - google will find it easily enough anyway).

I'll be getting all the rest of the books at some point in the near future. There's another set to be released some time this year and no doubt it'll drum up my previously waning enthusiasm for the Witcher 3.

It's a bit different to the sword and sorcery stuff you might be used to - it's very much character focused and the world it's in is just the backdrop - it's a fantastical and vibrant backdrop, but it's not overly embroiled in exploring it in a way that Tolkien's work was.
    It seems to take it as a given that you know what the deal is with how the universe works and just dives in to give you the story.

Prefer the Witcher 1 to 2, really good stories books are decent too.

Nothing to do with being stuck on that **** in the swamp for 2 years or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,294 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Prefer the Witcher 1 to 2, really good stories books are decent too.

Nothing to do with being stuck on that **** in the swamp for 2 years or so.

that happened to me too also as well :)

got stuck in that stupid swamp and came back to the game a year or 2 after playin Witcher 2 and replayed it again to completion, worth it

Is South Park: Stick of Truth any good? I know it is suppose to be funny but that combat really annoys me. I think turn based or something. There are loads of games that were suppose to be brilliant with the same combat system. Why didn't they just make it like a normal game run in with sword or magic or gun or what not.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Can anyone tell me the name of that cyber punk game that was announced in 2012 I think, for pc? can't remember the name of it or the developer.

Praise holy infant little baby Jesus Christ, our Lord and saviour:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/acer-xb270hu-xg270hu-ips-g-sync,28299.html
    The star of the show is the XB270HU, which is a 27" monitor with an IPS panel and a resolution of 2560 x 1440. On top of that, it has an extremely high refresh rate of 144 Hz, with a response time of just 1 ms, and support for Nvidia's G-Sync. As far as IPS screens go, this is unseen territory, and we're curious how Acer has managed to pull this one off.

I would almost pay anything for such a masterpiece.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Gbear wrote: »
    Praise holy infant little baby Jesus Christ, our Lord and saviour:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/acer-xb270hu-xg270hu-ips-g-sync,28299.html

I would almost pay anything for such a masterpiece.

It's very similar to the Asus ROG swift, probably using the same panel at least. The Asus is about €800.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Can anyone tell me the name of that cyber punk game that was announced in 2012 I think, for pc? can't remember the name of it or the developer.

Cyberpunk 2077?

By CD Project Red,makers of the Witcher series

Site link
    http://cyberpunk.net/

It's very similar to the Asus ROG swift, probably using the same panel at least. The Asus is about €800.

IPS!!!!!!:D

That's it cheers :)

Haven't seen any news on it in ages , I guess there putting all there efforts into witcher 3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Links234 wrote: »

A prank call is a prank call but that is a seriously bad thing to do. What happens if they keep getting them type of calls then when someone really needs the police for a serious offence. They be like don't bother going probably another prank call. Boy who called wolf springs to mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

Links234 wrote: »

Not surprising, I had a mate put face down in the dirt in some NY alleyway with a gun to his head by a NYPD officer. He was drunk and singing loudly and the police officer took ACTION!!

Advertisement