Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Always_Running

celt262 wrote: »
    Giveny has opted not to join the panel for the year coming. Might be now harm for him to give it a break.

Out of interest how many league and championship games did he start for Cavan this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Blue in hope

See Cavan Gaels draw was sponsored by Croke Park. Winner received a 48 week holiday!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Thunderbirds

See Cavan Gaels draw was sponsored by Croke Park. Winner received a 48 week holiday!!!

How does a club receive such a holiday or was it committee members?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Not that it makes any difference now but interesting to see that Padraig Faulkner had that red card he received in the county final rescinded!!

The interesting thing is here again someone gets off on a technicality. Why can referees not fill in the match reports correctly? The week after the match the Celt showed a still that showed the ref had got it right. He came out the following week in the paper and said that it was he not the linesman who made the decision and he was 100% happy with it. Then he fails to fill in his match report correctly!

• Advertisement

The interesting thing is here again someone gets off on a technicality. Why can referees not fill in the match reports correctly? The week after the match the Celt showed a still that showed the ref had got it right. He came out the following week in the paper and said that it was he not the linesman who made the decision and he was 100% happy with it. Then he fails to fill in his match report correctly!

I seen the picture in the celt and it showed nothing of the sort - whatever happened that video you saw??

On Givney I think it's no harm that he has a break for a while from football, he was far from his best last year for Cavan and changing clubs and a new job along with injury means a break would do him the power of good.

More worrying news emerging that Alan Clarke is unlikely to commit for 2015. Would be a big loss if we were without him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭celt262

Tom Joad wrote: »
    More worrying news emerging that Alan Clarke is unlikely to commit for 2015. Would be a big loss if we were without him.

Not in my opinion he was poor last year and eventually lost his place so not much of a loss. The 3 that have left won't be a big miss.

Not in my opinion he was poor last year and eventually lost his place so not much of a loss. The 3 that have left won't be a big miss.

Conor Moynagh an upgrade at centre half back. Midfield may be an issue. Gearoid and maybe David Wright?

Didn't have a great year last year but that applies to a lot of lads to be fair. But to say he won't be much of a loss is harsh to say the least. He was captain for good reasons and a real leader in the dressing room and on the field. Had a great year in 2013 too and was back to form for Kingscourt this year.

Givney had a poor year and has been poor for a while; there's not much arguing with that and I'm not sure what his best position is but if he rediscovered some form he could be a real asset - break could do him a power of good.

Tierney has opted to go travelling and is another that could do with a break from football.

I hope that's the end of it because we can't afford to lose many more from the panel and I hope there is not a trend here.

Conor Moynagh is someone I'd see as well able to make a seamless transition to the senior side and is a future senior captain.

It will be a big year for Gearoid as I'm still not convinced that he is the same player as he was before his injury troubles and we need him back to his best.

• Advertisement

Think Givney has being unlucky. Has to be burned out plus moved from pillar to post all over the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Lads, does anyone know where (in Dublin) I'd be able to get my hands on a couple of Cavan flags? They don't have to be big ones, just the smallish ones on a stick, that you see people waving at games. Need them to go on top of a coffin at a funeral. Ta.

Can't think of any shops - unless the O'Neils store would have them.

I assume you need them in a hurry given the circumstances so would suggest maybe contacting some of the Cavan run pubs in Dublin - Boar's Head in a capel street would be a good place to start - am sure they wouldn't mind giving you some.

Thanks. The funeral isn't until next Wednesday, so I have a few days to play around with. I'll deffo check out the Boars Head. Are there any other pubs in town that would be worth hitting up? I really don't want to have to trek out to the Long Mile Road.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Thanks. The funeral isn't until next Wednesday, so I have a few days to play around with. I'll deffo check out the Boars Head. Are there any other pubs in town that would be worth hitting up? I really don't want to have to trek out to the Long Mile Road.

Where in Dublin are you based?? I'm in Dublin on Monday with work and could leave one there for you (just off Stephen's Green area) if you have no joy elsewhere before then if that would work for you.

Thanks very much for the offer. I'm hoping to get it all squared away by the weekend. I'll PM you if the Boars Head doesn't work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Anyone at the U-21 semi final on Sun morning, Josephs v Castlerahan? Heard the referee was awful, 3 sent off and a big melee.......and they get to do it all over again next week. Was expecting to Josephs to win the game easily, but Castlerahan obviously put it up to them with a man down for most of the game

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Bear on the square

Yes apart from all the scuffles and mess that the ref caused it was actually a very exciting game. Castlerahan were 6 up with 8 minutes left and conceded 1-3 at end, Bouchier kicked a 35m free at the death to tie. Castlerahan lost their 2 county u21s Fergal Reilly through injury after 5 minutes and flanagan was sent off on 2nd yellow after 20 and it looked like it could be a long day already 5 down but some how completely turned things around. Joes were completely rattled after the big melee which saw 1 from each sent off on straight reds including Ciaran Brady. Johnny McCabe was outstanding think he got 1-5 from play with Jamie Mcgrath best on show for Castlerahan

what did the ref do to cause the scuffles and mess?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

From what I heard he gave Josephs soft frees in the first half, gave Flanagan a harsh yellow, and then a harsher second yellow for a shoulder.

Then to even things up, he gave everything to Castlerahan in the second half when they were a man down. I know people from both camps, and the general concensus was that it was a decent game, ruined by a poor referee.

As a matter of interest, does 2 yellow cards mean a suspension, or does it have to be a straight red, and secondly, if the sending off was a yellow, then a black, is there a suspension. Have been told by diferent people that Flanagans sending off was a second yellow, and a black card after a yellow...if that makes sense.

Will be going to the replay, should be tasty, but would feel that Castlerahan need both Flanagan and Fergal Reilly to compete again. Cant see Josephs being caught on the hop twice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Bear on the square

Sorry I said 2nd yellow in my earlier post, he received a black card after already been on a yellow which means a sending off with no replacement allowed on. Same scenario as 2 yellows and no suspension will occur. Ciaran Brady however received a straight red and will miss the replay.

Sorry I said 2nd yellow in my earlier post, he received a black card after already been on a yellow which means a sending off with no replacement allowed on. Same scenario as 2 yellows and no suspension will occur. Ciaran Brady however received a straight red and will miss the replay.

If will depend on has he been sent of earlier in the year or what's is in the ref's report. I have seen people getting straight red cards and out playing the next game due to ref report not been filled in correct or as simple as signing it in english!!

Word on street is Canavan is gone from Cavan Gaels.

Hear Kieran Donnelly move to Donegal has happened and that he will take over from Canavan as Cavan Gaels manager next year. He trained them this year.

Happy New Year to all Breffni Boardsies. Pity Southern Gaels couldn't get the party rolling with a victory in the Ulster minor final but they had a tremendous run and proof of how amalgamations can work!!

Busy weekend ahead with hastings cup game against Meath in Kingscourt and then the seniors playing Down in the McKenna cup. Will be interesting to see the lineups for both games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

McKenna cup vs Monaghan should be a good game. might try getting down to it depending on weather. Lets hope for a successful 2015 for clubs and county.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭celt262

lycan238 wrote: »
    McKenna cup vs Monaghan should be a good game. might try getting down to it depending on weather. Lets hope for a successful 2015 for clubs and county.

When are the Mckenna cup games on.

i know about Down this Sunday but the others?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

When are the Mckenna cup games on.

i know about Down this Sunday but the others?

10th and 14th I believe and both in Cavan I think. UUJ first then Monaghan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭willabur

Happy new year guys!
    Was chatting to one of the panelists over Xmas, the boys are training hard 'Flat out' according to him. He is still u21 this year so when I asked him about taking home the big one (u21 all ireland) he said 'we really have to, don't we'. Determination won't be lacking

interesting that hastings cup is now 16 teams this year - kerry have signed up for it

• Advertisement

McKenna Cup games:

4th Jan Esler, Newry - Down v Cavan
    10th Jan 7:30 Breffni - Cavan v UUJ
    14th Jan Breffni (no time listed) Cavan v Monaghan

Advertisement