Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

Ah lads, look at the positive side of this situation........................................ Joe Mc Quillan WONT be involved in any officiating in the Ballinderry game...and with a bit of luck he wont even be at the game......:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Under 21 Ulster Championship draw made. Donegal in the quarters - very tough start in the drive for five - no mention of venue!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭celt262

I hope you all had tickets in the Cavan Gaels draw lol

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Blue in hope

Celt 262 not surprise where it happened but it is going to do a lot of damage to all clubs trying to fund raise now.

celt262 wrote: »

Mine was pulled out but I got nothing :D

• Advertisement

Celt 262 not surprise where it happened but it is going to do a lot of damage to all clubs trying to fund raise now.

I hope not it's the only way clubs are surviving.

Hope they are made an example off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭28064212

What happened?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Mod: Sorry to have to do this lads but no speculating on what happened here - as I understand it the Gardaí are involved and any speculation here could land Boards.ie in hot water. I know it's only banter here so let's leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

good win for cootehill today . they play inniskeen of monaghan in 2 weeks time in clones , nice to have a bit more local rivalry

All quiet here......watched the masters on irishtv today ....good to see a few good servants to cavan football playing they wasted too many chances but looked like they enjoyed it anyway
    Good luck to Arva and Cootehill tomorrow

• Advertisement

disappointing results for both cavan teams on sunday
    by all accounts both of them let leads slip and couldnt finish them off when needed ?

is it this weekend cavan gaels and slaughtneill are in action ?

cavan4sam wrote: »
    disappointing results for both cavan teams on sunday
    by all accounts both of them let leads slip and couldnt finish them off when needed ?

is it this weekend cavan gaels and slaughtneill are in action ?

Yep Cavan Gaels out this weekend (despite what the celt says :D)

Dissapointing results alright but to be expected to be honest. As was mentioned elsewhere the 17th? ranked team in Cavan was playing the 10th ranked team in Monaghan. As long as that stays the case it will be the same old story unfortunately for Cavan clubs in Ulster.

Hopefully the Gaels can get a result against Slaughtneil at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Thunderbirds

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Yep Cavan Gaels out this weekend (despite what the celt says :D)

Dissapointing results alright but to be expected to be honest. As was mentioned elsewhere the 17th? ranked team in Cavan was playing the 10th ranked team in Monaghan. As long as that stays the case it will be the same old story unfortunately for Cavan clubs in Ulster.

Hopefully the Gaels can get a result against Slaughtneil at the weekend.

Actually 18th ranked because 17 teams in senior champ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭willabur

its an old topic for sure but the team that represents the county at club championship level needs to be better. Keep your senior championship but a higher competition of 8 teams, two groups of 4 then a final would give us a much better team going forth in the ulster club.

There is no will by clubs to change though.

As you know there are clubs in Senior who should be in Intermediate and then Intermediate teams who should be in Junior. We have a watery championship with no real bite in it as a lot of the games are mismatches.

I think that a teams league position should a bearing on the championship they play in.

As you know there are clubs in Senior who should be in Intermediate and then Intermediate teams who should be in Junior. We have a watery championship with no real bite in it as a lot of the games are mismatches.

I think that a teams league position should a bearing on the championship they play in.

Agree with you 100%. 8 Senior teams in championship, and split the balance of teams in to 16 intermediate and 16 Junior.

totally agree with that ,
    Div 1 = senior championship

Div 2 = Intermediate championship

Div 3 = Junior championship

but its never gonna happen when you have teams that refuse to be relegated and teams promoted without winning the championship its mind boggling to say the least

Are there even 8 senior quality teams though and who are they??

Cavan Gaels
    Kingscourt
    Mullahoran
    Ramor
    Castlerahan
    Ballinagh

Who else??? In my view it should be them six and the rest of the senior championship made up of amalgamations for the improvement of the standard of football. League would also need sorting out too - maybe top 8 play senior??

Draw for McKenna Cup group was made this evening - we are in with UUJ, Down and Monaghan. Will be seeing a lot of Monaghan next year!!

Are there even 8 senior quality teams though and who are they??

Cavan Gaels
    Kingscourt
    Mullahoran
    Ramor
    Castlerahan
    Ballinagh

Who else??? In my view it should be them six and the rest of the senior championship made up of amalgamations for the improvement of the standard of football. League would also need sorting out too - maybe top 8 play senior??
    Tom Joad is offline Report Post

I would agree with your six and would suggest Lavey and Lacken to make up the 8 teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Gaels have done what they do best and are out. Can't say I'm disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭homeofhurling

you could say that about most cavan clubs Gallant jj

Travelled up to Derry yesterday. Gaels left that game behind them. I wouldn't rate Canavan as a manager. Listing to people in the ground beforehand they all spoke of no Gaels midfield and if Slaughneil pushed up they would cause problems. It was not a surprise that this happened as it was clear to see all through the Cavan championship. What was shocking to see that when this happened the management did nothing about it until half time? They should have been a lot further behind at this stage only for poor shooting by Slaughneil.
    They completable took over the second half and could easily have won it. They held their opponents to just 2 points in the second half the last one was the last kick of the game. The one before was very dodgy as the linesman came in and argued the ball had gone wide.
    I don't believe at the end of the year that the manager knows his best starting 15 and that came back to haunt him yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Under 21 club championship in full swing over the weekend, at an entertaining game between Castlerahan, and a fancied Killan Gaels side (Bailieboro and Shercock). Killlan lead at ht by 4 with Killian Clarke cleaning up at mf, and were 6 up with 15 left.....and Castlerahan scored 7 points on the spin. Granted Killan were missing Argue, and Sankey came on, but great to see an underdog come through. St Josephs also beat West Cavan Gaels (a 5 or 6 club amalgamation as far as I know) in another entertaining game

Under 21 club championship in full swing over the weekend, at an entertaining game between Castlerahan, and a fancied Killan Gaels side (Bailieboro and Shercock). Killlan lead at ht by 4 with Killian Clarke cleaning up at mf, and were 6 up with 15 left.....and Castlerahan scored 7 points on the spin. Granted Killan were missing Argue, and Sankey came on, but great to see an underdog come through. St Josephs also beat West Cavan Gaels (a 5 or 6 club amalgamation as far as I know) in another entertaining game

Was very surprised Castlerahan won. Who played well for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Bear on the square

Young Cormac Daly done a superb job on Clarke and got 2 points as well. Castlerahan have 5 or 6 strong lads but thats it. St Joes should have no problem overcoming them but fair play to them going by themselves and blooding young lads instead of joining up. Its always nice to see an underdog take a big scalp.

Clarke cleaned up in the first half, and then didnt get a sniff off Daly. Fergal Reilly done a lot of work at wing half back, and Enda Flanagan in the second done very well. Wasnt giving them a hope but fair play. It must be said that the Killan Gaels defence was atricious. No discipline in the tackle, giving Castlerahan a lot of scorable frees which were duly converted

Clarke cleaned up in the first half, and then didnt get a sniff off Daly. Fergal Reilly done a lot of work at wing half back, and Enda Flanagan in the second done very well. Wasnt giving them a hope but fair play. It must be said that the Killan Gaels defence was atricious. No discipline in the tackle, giving Castlerahan a lot of scorable frees which were duly converted

Cillian Clarke played Saturday night in the game for Anto so maybe ran out of steam.

Giveny has opted not to join the panel for the year coming. Might be now harm for him to give it a break.

• Advertisement

Cillian Clarke played Saturday night in the game for Anto so maybe ran out of steam.

Quite possibly, cant imagine his club was too happy. I know it was a great cause, but surely there was plenty of Cavan seniors, not involved in Club Championships that would have played instead, or even the Co Board who could have played the match on Fri under lights

Advertisement