Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are kids so spoiled

Options
  • 30-12-2014 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

I have a question, why do parents these days feel the need to spoil there kids rotton especially on Christmas, I know of parents on the dole driving everywhere to get their 4yo ipads and hundreds worth of presents. Herselfs nieces and nephews must of had the guts of a grand spent on them each. Gas thing is with all the ipads an technology the nipper recived he was mostly playing with a magnifying glass left in his sock

So how has the culture changed from the 70s when kids would get like one present (guns an holster) or whatever. I think this is why back then couples would normally have atleast 4+ kids and now less because they require alot more financially.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Because you touch yourself at night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

In my day you got a lump of coal for Christmas and you went down mines to get it yourself!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Tearin It Up

A dole thread. Parents on the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Children do not understand the word "no".
    Junior infant teacher I know spends September teaching 4/5 year olds that "if I say no it actually means no and i am not going to relent in a few minutes and give you your own way" Nnnnoooooooooooooo!

My guess a lot of folks didn't have much growing up and are giving there children everything if that makes any sense

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

...or you know, people have more money now, than in the 19 ****ing 70s where a loaf of bread would last a family of 14 a month

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Because I can't have your kids outshooting my kids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Sometimes I wish I was on the dole so I could get my kids a gold-plated PS4 and post up a picture of it here with my dole wad placed provocatively atop it.

More disposable income, more cooler things to have. Little sh!t bags.

anncoates wrote: »
    Sometimes I wish I was on the dole so I could get my kids a gold-plated PS4 and post up a picture of it here with my dole wad placed provocatively atop it.

You should see what I have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

Bigger houses. Smaller families.

There's yer answer.

Next!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I bet there were adults in Ancient Greece wondering why children were spoiled

Guess what OP, when you were a chizzler the same was said about you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

'Twas all different in my day. Girls got a petite 9-90 and lads got tractors

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

Tbf not all kids are spoiled these days. Many of my friends with kids raise them to be really respectful and grateful for gifts and don't go ridiculously overboard when shopping for them. But I agree that many parents raise little monsters who get so ludicrously much that don't even say thanks.

(Sorry for being the typical childless person with an opinion on how to be a good parent)

I think it's because seeing your kids happy through giving them thing must be pretty emotionally gratifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 cripesonfriday

I agree, let's go back to the 70's values, where a single present was enough.

Let's go further, let's not strap our kids into the back seats anymore, let's stop that ridiculous mollycoddling, never did me any harm to sit untethered in the back seat.

Some parents overspend, they do, a lot of them really do, but to say it's a new thing is nonsense, it's just that there is more technology at a lower price than there ever was in the 70s. So it is more noticeable.

We spent about 120 quid each on our kids, because that's what we had budgeted. It was enough for their requested gifts, and some really cool little surprises. They loved it. Like I loved it as a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Parents just cant seem to buy the kids enough these days ( was probably the same myself in my day) a little boy of 10 down the road came up showing us his iphone5. Now an 1phone 5 at 10 years old. My 16 year old asked to change her i phone 4 to a 5 I told her on yer bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

When my kids ask for anything, I just beat them!

That's the right answer, isn't it???

lulu1 wrote: »
    My 16 year old asked to change her i phone 4 to a 5 I told her on yer bike.

Pretty fancy having a bike that dispenses phones to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Fear.
    Fear of being brought to one of those old folks homes where the staff rob and mistreat the seniors in their care,as a 70 year old man,and Before my eldest son leaves me there(probably never to visit again),he says "Dad,remember the time you got me a snow globe for christmas? No? Well,I remember"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭berger89

The excuse that reeeeeally bugs me is:

"I want to give them what I didn't have when I was younger."

Go and fcuk yourself. Like c'mon, your parents kept you alive and you look like you were pretty well fed so I think they didn't do too bad. Bloody hate it when like previous posters have said..little toddlers getting iPads and mobile phones and don;t appreciate it etc. And parents say "oh I want to make up for when I was younger."

If you don't have the money, you don't buy it was my parents motto. they scrimped and saved and searched down the back of couches in order to put food on the table, and we were happy. We never wanted more…but we always got it. my parents never 'left us short'. they did their best.

i think these days a lot of the time, maybe by buying big expensive gifts, they are trying to compensate or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭buried

Because we need to make the 'Celtic Tiger MKII' and this is the best way to go about it. Feed them the greed. Sure what could go wrong

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I did go overboard for mine this christmas. But then, she's lovely for the rest of the year, good as gold, well behaved, never demands anything, good at school, why shouldn't I spoil my kid at christmas? Long as its not detrimental to her behaviour for the rest of the year anyway :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Its because living standards are so much higher now than previous generations. Most peoples grandparents generally didnt have a pot to piss. But recession or no recession. The standard of living in Ireland is extremely high. A new car is affordable, a computer is a weeks wages versus a months wages in the early 1990s.

Irish children would have been this spoiled in the 1950s if their families had money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Pretty fancy having a bike that dispenses phones to be fair

They are all the craze here

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭tempnam

I think there's an element of competition among parents at play. Especially now since many people's first reaction is to post pictures / videos on Facebook of their kids opening their presents.

All kids really want is your time & attention though. And that costs nothing in monetary terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

I agree, let's go back to the 70's values, where a single present was enough.

Let's go further, let's not strap our kids into the back seats anymore, let's stop that ridiculous mollycoddling, never did me any harm to sit untethered in the back seat.

Some parents overspend, they do, a lot of them really do, but to say it's a new thing is nonsense, it's just that there is more technology at a lower price than there ever was in the 70s. So it is more noticeable.

We spent about 120 quid each on our kids, because that's what we had budgeted. It was enough for their requested gifts, and some really cool little surprises. They loved it. Like I loved it as a kid.

I don't know if it's a new thing or not, but to be fair it's crazy somethings.

A friend of mine (who has kids) watched his partners twelve-year-old nephew line up all his presents in a row, tear the paper off each one in turn, and not smile or say thank you for a single one. :(

tempnam wrote: »
    All kids really want is your time & attention though..

My ma: do you want an Atari and a BMX or my time and attention?

Me: Only your time and attention mummy,

My ma: Come on, let's go to the orphanage and give somebody your football boots.

Me: I love you mummy.

/sick bucket

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I think you're only seeing what you want to see OP. I know of many children who don't get a whole lot for Christmas, but they appreciate what they get all the same, and the funniest reaction I saw over Christmas was actually from the adults whose faces dropped when one of them asked one child what she got for Christmas -

"Connect 4" she said, and that was it. The little girl herself was chuffed to get it, but the woman asking her was expecting her to reel off a list of presents :D

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭tempnam

My ma: do you want an Atari and a BMX or my time and attention?

Me: Only your time and attention mummy,

My ma: Come on, let's go to the orphanage and give somebody your football boots.

Me: I love you mummy.

/sick bucket

Yeah thats exactly what I meant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Candy_Girl

Kids just get cooler toys or gadgets now, things that just weren't around in my day nor could my parents afford. Saying that my children didn't get everything on their Santa list..I draw the line on on certain things and I watch my budget. Whoever thinks a 10 year old should have an I Phone needs their heads tested.

Advertisement