Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are kids so spoiled

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

tempnam wrote: »
    Especially now since many people's first reaction is to post pictures / videos on Facebook of their kids opening their presents.

People do that?

Sorry havn't been following this whole facebook fad in the past 5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I dealt with the Russians my poor unfortunates will have to deal with ISIS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

This thread once again reminds me how lucky I am to be single with no kids :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

People do that?

Sorry havn't been following this whole facebook fad in the past 5 years

People still do this?

Preach about not being on Facebook? I haven't followed this fad for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

It's stupid seeing kids get hundreds of euro worth of toys from different sides of the family. They won't play with them all. They won't appreciate them all. You're better off putting that money up for when they need and appreciate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Candy_Girl

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    This thread once again reminds me how lucky I am to be single with no kids :)

Each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I have a question, why do parents these days feel the need to spoil there kids rotton especially on Christmas, I know of parents on the dole driving everywhere to get their 4yo ipads and hundreds worth of presents. Herselfs nieces and nephews must of had the guts of a grand spent on them each. Gas thing is with all the ipads an technology the nipper recived he was mostly playing with a magnifying glass left in his sock

So how has the culture changed from the 70s when kids would get like one present (guns an holster) or whatever. I think this is why back then couples would normally have atleast 4+ kids and now less because they require alot more financially.

Never mind the 70s, back to the 1500s dammit.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-26289459
    Around the year 1500, an assistant to the Venetian ambassador to England was struck by the strange attitude to parenting that he had encountered on his travels.

He wrote to his masters in Venice that the English kept their children at home "till the age of seven or nine at the utmost" but then "put them out, both males and females, to hard service in the houses of other people, binding them generally for another seven or nine years". The unfortunate children were sent away regardless of their class, "for everyone, however rich he may be, sends away his children into the houses of others, whilst he, in return, receives those of strangers into his own".

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Because people are generally stupid.

They think that giving their little brat everything they ask for is good parenting and then wonder why everybody thinks that little Kylie or Reece are utter cünts.

The kids also wonder why they can't have everything they want when they get older, because that's way it was when they were young, and then they get "depressed" and all "poor me" and "life's unfair" for the rest of their days, unable to function under their own steam.

Sometimes "no" really is the best answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,248 ✭✭✭✭endacl

There's another thread going on with a chap who's stingy parents only get him stuff to make collages. And he gets it during the year!

Not even at Christmas, dammit!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

In my day, you had to make your own iPad and PS4.

• Advertisement

RayM wrote: »

You had a day? Luxury! We had a picosecond. And used every bloody minute of it.

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

efb wrote: »
    Girls got a petite 9-90

Oh my god, what was this?

I had a visceral reaction when I read it. I KNOW I wanted one as a little girl. But I can't for the life of me think what a petite 9-90 was. And google wouldn't tell me. What was it? WHAT WAS IT?

Tarzana2 wrote: »

I had a visceral reaction when I read it. I KNOW I wanted one as a little girl. But I can't for the life of me think what a petite 9-90 was. And google wouldn't tell me. What was it? WHAT WAS IT?
    My google-fu is stronger than your google-fu, Grasshopper.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/petite-typewriter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

A toy typewriter- did Google not help?

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Eramen

The middle class spoil the hell out of their little feckers. The pile of presents usually stack taller than the tree, and the waste from said presents amount to twice that again.. Though such fun is to be had swimming through the voluptuous papered masses of spent packaging.

And the 'working class' act like they couldn't give a b*llocks about their wee ones. That rack load of beer bottles in the recycling bin tell the story better than I ever could. Oh, and single mothers .. (self-censored).

Of course - I generalise - I'm sure your heart is broken and lackluster indignation appropriate. And so the former watch the latter while sipping red wine and nibbling on 'specially selected' crackers and everything somehow connects in watching the Royal Family Christmas special on the box - all amid the hazy feeling of intoxication.

But still, can't we somehow strive to reach a healthy 'in-between' that's best for both parents and children? Mounds of presents on Giftmas only serves the ill-forces of our society. The higher element of the holiday is open to all and would best be rekindled in our minds; though the former would reply to that with some eejitcated nonsense and the latter certainly don't give a fcúk.

endacl wrote: »
    My google-fu is stronger than your google-fu, Grasshopper.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/petite-typewriter
    efb wrote: »
    A toy typewriter- did Google not help?

Not at all - THAT'S what I wanted? :confused: Crazy, strange little child. :pac:

Not at all - THAT'S what I wanted? :confused: Crazy, strange little child. :pac:

Follow the link. You can have one now. For next to nowt!

endacl wrote: »
    Follow the link. You can have one now. For next to nowt!

I just can't believe I wanted a typewriter!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Its easy to spend money you don't have, hard to pay it back. Its much harder to be a good parent that teaches kids the value of money and respect for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

A big difference these days is that kids get bought for by Santa, their parents, both sets of grandparents, aunties and uncles and then sometimes close family friends. Whereas it used to be just Santa/parents and maybe a godparent.

We were careful not to go overboard, just a big pressie from Santa and then some stocking fillers. Some relatives bought clothes & books for him rather than a toy as he'll have so many. With the toys he did get I made sure to get a pic of him playing with them and sent it to the relative that bought it so they could see he appreciated it (he doesn't really talk much yet so doesn't say thanks, though we are teaching him!).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I reckon a lot of the time there's a need to feel like we've given our children more than what we've gotten. Do it too much however and it can be taken for granted.

We just got our lad a trike. He hasn't gotten around to using it yet though, due to all the activity based gifts he got from friends and family that he keeps playing with. But in their own way even though it seems like a lot overall and we're scratching our heads over where to put the stuff, each individual gift wasn't excessive in itself.

That's how we'd hope further Birthdays and Christmases go. If there was going to be something big he was going to get, such as whatever games console or gadget, I'd rather he felt a sense of earning it, to appreciate it's value. Now that doesn't mean sending him down the mine to get his own coal, as mentioned by another poster earlier :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

I just can't believe I wanted a typewriter!

It had that catchy Dolly Partonesque tune in the ad though! I got one. I was an only child and spoiled. I now have four kids who I am very careful not to spoil. They're generally very grateful for what they get and are careful not to ask for too much lest Santa thinks they're greedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I think at some point when the money was rolling in back in the long, long ago. Parents were buying their kids DVDs, video games, computers and the like to keep them quiet while they did whatever it is they wanted to do themselves.

I reckon it might come full circle. Now that so many people aren't working, people might actually pay attention to their kids and fix the next generation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

tempnam wrote: »
    Yeah thats exactly what I meant.

Couldn't resist, sorry :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

There does seem to be outrageous spending on Christmas presents for kids. I was a 70's kid and my brother and I always got the main present that we asked for as well as some other cheaper stuff. My parents felt that kids shouldn't get everything they asked for. I think most of the spending is parents trying to outdo each other, a kind of Christmas keeping up with the Joneses. All in all, I find it kind of pathetic and it doesn't do the kids much good in the long run if they get everything they want when they ask for it. Life doesn't work that way.

Having been a child in a traditional 'working class' area on the southside of Dublin in the 1980's, and having attended a generally 'working class' school (on the Long Mile road) even then, there were always a few in the classroom who seemed to be spoiled rotten, even though the money wasted would have served them better being saved up for further education down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Spent about €550 on eldest
    €200 on middle child
    €80 on youngest
    And guess who sulked Christmas morning?????

The eldest because his phone cover needed to come off to be able to slot into his wireless speaker dock.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

RayM wrote: »

My 7 year old got fed up of being told he couldn't have a DS and made his own out of a load of overlapping sheets of paper with all the different apps and games. I laughed so hard I wanted to buy him a DS just for the effort. But I didn't, because I'm a prick.

My 7 year old got fed up of being told he couldn't have a DS and made his own out of a load of overlapping sheets of paper with all the different apps and games. I laughed so hard I wanted to buy him a DS just for the effort. But I didn't, because I'm a prick.

I bet when he looses teeth, you leave a bill from the tooth fairy for tooth disposal under his pillow. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Because 7 ate 9

Advertisement