Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Went off the road last night

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

euser1984 wrote: »
    Please don't answer this vectra. I would like to keep this on topic

Vectra was sticking up for you FFS

Del2005 wrote: »
    AFAIK any crash has to be reported to the Gardai and your insurance company, even if you are not claiming.
    Says who?

Say the infallible, prim and proper concerned citizens that rather bizarrely seem to populate the Motors Forum, unlike any other, in great numbers.

I know it's Christmas and I'm a wee bit hazy but I'm struggling to join the dots from the engine running rough to the van running into a fence.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

So, the op had some operational problems with his car/van, panicked a little and crashed into a fence. The first thing he could think of is apportioning the blame on someone else. Am I missing something?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

Jesus. wrote: »
    Say the infallible, prim and proper concerned citizens that rather bizarrely seem to populate the Motors Forum, unlike any other, in great numbers.

What do they expect the cops to do?
    These things should be sorted out privately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Another case of jesus take the wheel. Yep, be careful out there.
    5385914+_acace96c10a69e82230d7b8118cb9409.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Gosh, I wonder if winter tyres are any use........................

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Says who?

The law

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/motor_accidents.html

And have a read of your policy documents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Breffnigolfer

From your link
    If someone is injured the Gardaí should be contacted
    Which is what I posted.

In the OP's incident it was not necessary, or obligatory, to call them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Have you rang them after having an accident?
    The first thing they ask is "Was anyone injured"
    If "No"
    Then they will tell you sort it yourself.
    They wont come out.

• Advertisement

I know it's Christmas and I'm a wee bit hazy but I'm struggling to join the dots from the engine running rough to the van running into a fence.

Someone else must be to blame, they just have to be. No way would the OP crash unless someone else did something to make him. This is an important point. Someone else caused this. Alright? And it's only a fence that got damaged - so no big deal. The person who owns the fence is immaterial in all this. You need to focus on pinning the blame on the "bad" fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭deathtocaptcha

wild accusations there from OP assuming (without any evidence whatsoever) that someone put the wrong type of fuel in to his car and that directly caused him to go off the road...

it's only right we also get to make wild accusations... my guess is OP was speeding and failed to call guards or recovery truck because he was scared they'd breathalyze and or report him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

The recovery service must have been very busy last night because I couldn't get through; so, the van is still there.

The engine was acting really strangely like vibrating intensely and lack of power which must have taken my attention off the road. I'm wondering if there was petrol put into the diesel tank...it was the guy in the petrol station that filled it.

Luckily I don't think there is much damage....

I'm going to call the recovery truck but do I need to get the guards or someone to take a look incase the "petrol station" owner has to pay for it?

Thanks.

Engines go wrong now and again - most people pull in off the road

f**king scary the first thing you did was ram it into the nearest fence post and go looking for someone to blame

maybe you have a bit of a seizure or something - dunno wasn't there & not a medical pro.

Hi,
    I have a number of neurological issues including epilepsy, depression, cognitive abilities and I'm also blessed with aspergers.

Many of my conditions have only been diagnosed in the last few years although I have been trying to treat one for years.

At the moment about 6 years for depression.
    Nearly two and a half years for epilepsy.
    Cognitive functioning issues are about three and a half.

After two adjustments of Effexor in recent times (I might just say that I have had excellent results with this one) I am now going to be most likely looking at adding Risperdal next month which I look forward to.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81756692

vectra wrote: »
    Have you rang them after having an accident?
    The first thing they ask is "Was anyone injured"
    If "No"
    Then they will tell you sort it yourself.
    They wont come out.

You still have to report it.

From your link
    Which is what I posted.

In the OP's incident it was not necessary, or obligatory, to call them.

He caused injury to the fence and his own vehicle he has to report it.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1961/en/act/pub/0024/sec0106.html#zza24y1961s106

You still have to report it.

I know people regularly plough yokes through one or other of my fences, and as I toil away fixing the resulting pita hole, usually in the p1ssing rain/cold I always chuckled to myself happily reassuring myself that the damage to their bumper is much more important and that I am being childish whinging about the cost of new rails and posts that actually match what was there from PDM and the hassle of going to get them.

How often has someone come in to say "Sorry, I mashed your fence there because I was going too hard around that sharp bend"? Once. And I said "Don't worry about it, sure no-one else does.."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Mech1

Im still thinking nothing wrong with vehicle, traction control fighting the road and the driver, therefore causing vibrations, then it just couldnt control the big nut behind the wheel enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Gosh, I wonder if winter tyres are any use........................

Drove from Rathangan to Navan early this morning. Did winter tyres keep me from going off the road? No, sensible driving kept me on the road.

Not at all needed here.

Mycroft H wrote: »
    Drove from Rathangan to Navan early this morning. Did winter tyres keep me from going off the road? No, sensible driving kept me on the road.

Not at all needed here.

Fair play to you. I drove from edenderry to Newbridge and everyone was crawling along at 40kph, slipping and sliding. I just trundled along behind, no slipping or sliding. The back roads in to where we live are literally skating rinks right now. I have to go out again at 6.30 this evening to go gritting truck-parks, I have a quiet feeling that I will be mighty, mighty glad of me winters at that stage. :) But each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,905 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

As regards the petrol-in-a-diesel-car thing, I've been in a diesel car which was filled with petrol (more or less, I don't know if it was completely empty or was just topped up from half) which was driven from just outside Dublin to north Cork :eek:

I swear I was nowhere near the petrol pump :D

We stopped once about five minutes after the petrol fill, and then started the car up again (for the second time) and drove all the way to Cork. Nothing different about how the car drove the whole way. Needless to say, when we tried to start it a third time, it wasn't having any of it!

But a diesel car will drive with petrol in it.

• Advertisement

my guess is OP was speeding and failed to call guards or recovery truck because he was scared they'd breathalyze and or report him.

The fook would he call the Guards for?

He caused injury to the fence

Christ Jesus :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

Jesus. wrote: »
    Christ Jesus :(

First sign of madness is to talk to yourself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Why would a petrol station fill up your tank
    Can you not do it yourself it's not exactly rocket science.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Why would a petrol station fill up your tank Can you not do it yourself it's not exactly rocket science.

Some people are allergic or have a reaction to fuel. Others are too lazy or have someone else to blame if the wrong fuel goes in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

diesel in your car will not make it crash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

braddun wrote: »
    diesel in your car will not make it crash

I'd hope not, especially since it runs on diesel! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I know people regularly plough yokes through one or other of my fences, and as I toil away fixing the resulting pita hole, usually in the p1ssing rain/cold I always chuckled to myself happily reassuring myself that the damage to their bumper is much more important and that I am being childish whinging about the cost of new rails and posts that actually match what was there from PDM and the hassle of going to get them.

How often has someone come in to say "Sorry, I mashed your fence there because I was going too hard around that sharp bend"? Once. And I said "Don't worry about it, sure no-one else does.."

That. No point in getting into childish arguments over calling the gards, the conversation would go like "I ploughed into a fence" "are you injured?" "No" "is anyone else injured" "are any other vehicles, people or animals involved" "no" "what the fcuk you ring us for". Phone slams.
    Some of you would call the gards if you dropped your ice cream, seriously, you've got to lighten u
    If you plough through a fence, you find the farmer and say "I'm sorry, I ploughed through your fence" and offer to pay. Unless you want to call the gards over this post or maybe because your tea has gone cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

It was bad enough sliding off the road, never mind having to read the majority of these posts....

Thanks for letting me know I didn't have to call the guards and all the objective posts others have added (for many of you I should point you out to entering define:sarcasm into google - there are a few people here that seem to be practicing experts in the area of law it seems.

I think if 2 plus 2 is put together it's easy to figure that the engine and concentration levels would be directly related, and not 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

I've had cars die on me, I've never ploughed into something as a result. If engine issues took that much away from your ability to drive then maybe you shouldn't be behind the wheel in the first place.

You may have had engine problems but you messed up and hit something. That's a separate issue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement