Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Went off the road last night

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

That. No point in getting into childish arguments over calling the gards, the conversation would go like "I ploughed into a fence" "are you injured?" "No" "is anyone else injured" "are any other vehicles, people or animals involved" "no" "what the fcuk you ring us for". Phone slams.Some of you would call the gards if you dropped your ice cream, seriously, you've got to lighten uIf you plough through a fence, you find the farmer and say "I'm sorry, I ploughed through your fence" and offer to pay. Unless you want to call the gards over this post or maybe because your tea has gone cold.

Like it Doc :pac:

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    As regards the petrol-in-a-diesel-car thing, I've been in a diesel car which was filled with petrol (more or less, I don't know if it was completely empty or was just topped up from half) which was driven from just outside Dublin to north Cork :eek:

I swear I was nowhere near the petrol pump :D

We stopped once about five minutes after the petrol fill, and then started the car up again (for the second time) and drove all the way to Cork. Nothing different about how the car drove the whole way. Needless to say, when we tried to start it a third time, it wasn't having any of it!

But a diesel car will drive with petrol in it.

Since I changed from Petrol to Diesel in 2011, I successfully managed to twice fill the car with petrol from near empty. On both occasions the car drove less than 1km and died. Fuelrescue had to be called both times.
    OP says he filled from near empty. Car would not have gone more than a few km before dying.

OP obviously lost concentration and control. Get the vehicle out of the fence, pay for all repairs and its done. Lesson learned.
    As for the Guards, if you are paying for the fence and covering the costs of damage to your vehicle, you are just wasting their time. However, if you decide to claim on insurance, the insurance company won't be at all happy that you didn't report it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

I've had cars die on me, I've never ploughed into something as a result. If engine issues took that much away from your ability to drive then maybe you shouldn't be behind the wheel in the first place.

You may have had engine problems but you messed up and hit something. That's a separate issue.

This is so silly but I'll reply back to you anyway. Firstly, every situation is different.

I find that driving where there is black ice requires 100 percent concentration. When I got out of the car and went to the road my feet were slipping.

Maybe you were lucky or you have experience with f*cked engines generally; I don't know; but your opinion does not count in the slightest to me....quite simply because you haven't got the facts.

Do something positive with your time.

Also to add, I know the system isn't perfect but I'll let the driving licence authority decide whether I can drive or not.

Since I changed from Petrol to Diesel in 2011, I successfully managed to twice fill the car with petrol from near empty. On both occasions the car drove less than 1km and died. Fuelrescue had to be called both times.
    OP says he filled from near empty. Car would not have gone more than a few km before dying.

OP obviously lost concentration and control. Get the vehicle out of the fence, pay for all repairs and its done. Lesson learned.
    As for the Guards, if you are paying for the fence and covering the costs of damage to your vehicle, you are just wasting their time. However, if you decide to claim on insurance, the insurance company won't be at all happy that you didn't report it.

Thanks for this....upon further advice I think that the diesel most likely is not the culprit. I am going to get a mechanic to take a look tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭corglass

Stheno wrote: »
    The op said the engine running rough caused him not to pay attention to the road

Agreed
    euser1984 wrote: »
    It was bad enough sliding off the road, never mind having to read the majority of these posts....

Thanks for letting me know I didn't have to call the guards and all the objective posts others have added (for many of you I should point you out to entering define:sarcasm into google - there are a few people here that seem to be practicing experts in the area of law it seems.

I think if 2 plus 2 is put together it's easy to figure that the engine and concentration levels would be directly related, and not 4.

Op take some responsibility for yourself. By your own admission, the car was acting funny well before the crash. This may or may not have been fuel related.

Either way the crash is your fault. And only yours. Pay the landowner for the damage and move on.

Next time you've car issues pull in and call someone to look at it.

• Advertisement

corglass wrote: »
    Next time you've car issues pull in and call someone to look at it.

Will do, just for the record the battery was dead on my phone...and it was rural.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,037 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Will do, just for the record the battery was dead on my phone...and it was rural.

Was this the diesel's fault also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Breffnigolfer

GreeBo wrote: »

If someone posted something as stupid as this in the Golf forum they'd be banned permanently.
    What was the point of this post, GB?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

If someone posted something as stupid as this in the Golf forum they'd be banned permanently.

An attempt at humour I'd say, although most golfers wouldn't get this ;)

GreeBo wrote: »

Thanks for making me think about my issue. I suppose you haven't ever had a conscious and emotional bubble before. Did anyone here lose their big house during the crash? You know, the one you couldn't actually afford.

People here are just smart asses - I suppose a lot of ye were the geeks in secondary school who can only vent your anger on the keyboard. My neighbours are the same - they won't say anything directly to the person because they ain't got no balls.

Those of us that vent in normal everyday life don't let it build up. I'd imagine a lot of you are also in poor jobs and want more power than you got or can dream about. Some of you also sound like you haven't got a woman in months.

Some "jack of all trades", "master of none" here to sum it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,271 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The recovery service must have been very busy last night because I couldn't get through; so, the van is still there.

The engine was acting really strangely like vibrating intensely and lack of power which must have taken my attention off the road. I'm wondering if there was petrol put into the diesel tank...it was the guy in the petrol station that filled it.

Luckily I don't think there is much damage....

I'm going to call the recovery truck but do I need to get the guards or someone to take a look incase the "petrol station" owner has to pay for it?

Thanks.
    Are you sure it wasn't your traction control kicking in and making it feel like it was the engine?
    How much fuel did you put in? A bit of petrol in a diesel should be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

This is so silly but I'll reply back to you anyway. Firstly, every situation is different.

I find that driving where there is black ice requires 100 percent concentration. When I got out of the car and went to the road my feet were slipping.

Maybe you were lucky or you have experience with f*cked engines generally; I don't know; but your opinion does not count in the slightest to me....quite simply because you haven't got the facts.

Do something positive with your time.

Also to add, I know the system isn't perfect but I'll let the driving licence authority decide whether I can drive or not.

You're not making sense. Now it was the ice. You crashed and you're looking for a reason other than yourself to blame. Either that or the school holidays are a bit too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

ted1 wrote: »
    Are you sure it wasn't your traction control kicking in and making it feel like it was the engine?
    How much fuel did you put in? A bit of petrol in a diesel should be ok
    He didn't put any in, the guy at the station did and the tank was almost empty so a mis-fuel would have shown up very promptly once the diesel in the fuel filter & line burned off. Even the OP now acknowledges mis-fueling is very unlikely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Only in Motors could a thread about skidding on some ice into a fence descend into this...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

The recovery service must have been very busy last night because I couldn't get through; so, the van is still there.

The engine was acting really strangely like vibrating intensely and lack of power which must have taken my attention off the road. I'm wondering if there was petrol put into the diesel tank...it was the guy in the petrol station that filled it.

Luckily I don't think there is much damage....

I'm going to call the recovery truck but do I need to get the guards or someone to take a look incase the "petrol station" owner has to pay for it?

Thanks.

Sorry OP but you are been a bit of a d^€K here by your own first post you were going the petrol station would have to pay for your own fault at a crash. People are taking you to task and you do not like it. Did you think hey this is motors people will be on my side. Plus your story kind of changed someone asked why did you not pull in and call someone to which you answered my phone was dead. However you stated at the start you were phoning for recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

Maybe the OP was momentarily distracted by his superiority complex and the realisation of how much pussy his winter driving skillz get him every week?

Let's face it, he's amazing, just awesome. He has such an electrifying personality that he can pick up a phone with a flat battery and still call a recovery company and even though he's 'rural' and they won't answer, he somehow makes it home and onto boards to let us know his 'cool story bro' adventure has happened.

All this while he has tried to walk on black ice with his feet slipping too! I can only imagine how much of a legend he was in school, and how all his ball-less neighbours wish they were him.

If Jesus turned water into wine, maybe the OP's very presence in the van allowed a Diesel engine to run on petrol.... It was just that momentary lapse of self belief and faith that caused it to stutter.

OP, you have all the answers. You driving God. You don't need our advice or thoughts to guide you. Live long and prosper and may your days be filled with toast.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,877 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Thanks for letting me know I didn't have to call the guards

Did you even bother to read the link to the statute I posted or are you just reading the posts you agree with?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Not sure what I would putt as the driver behind this post.
    Indeed whether I was driving a caddy or otherwise, I'm not sure what's in the bag on the golf forum has to do with the back 9 over here.

I think the few festive beers last night has me lying in the rough. Never mind, it's par for the course this time of year.

Now I'm hungry, time for a sand wedge.

@OP - man up, you crashed. Happens the best of us. Deal with it, pay for the damage (don't bother calling AGS/insurance as no one injured but your own car. Pay the man for the fence and pay more attention to the road next time!

Maybe the OP was momentarily distracted by his superiority complex and the realisation of how much pussy his winter driving skillz get him every week?

Let's face it, he's amazing, just awesome. He has such an electrifying personality that he can pick up a phone with a flat battery and still call a recovery company and even though he's 'rural' and they won't answer, he somehow makes it home and onto boards to let us know his 'cool story bro' adventure has happened.

All this while he has tried to walk on black ice with his feet slipping too! I can only imagine how much of a legend he was in school, and how all his ball-less neighbours wish they were him.

If Jesus turned water into wine, maybe the OP's very presence in the van allowed a Diesel engine to run on petrol.... It was just that momentary lapse of self belief and faith that caused it to stutter.

OP, you have all the answers. You driving God. You don't need our advice or thoughts to guide you. Live long and prosper and may your days be filled with toast.

My post was created the next day! U have yourself worked up there boy. as you'd say yourself relax and eat some toast. Fair play for spending so long writing your post and I hope it's made you feel better.

As for me, I'm actually having a great day, eat some toast for yourself like a good lad :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Post of 2015 right there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

professore wrote: »

Methinks el professore is a little premature :pac::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,640 ✭✭✭✭listermint

My post was created the next day! U have yourself worked up there boy. as you'd say yourself relax and eat some toast. Fair play for spending so long writing your post and I hope it's made you feel better.

As for me, I'm actually having a great day, eat some toast for yourself like a good lad :p

Hard to have a great day with your vehicle stuck in a fence id imagine. And repair bill over your head for poor road awareness in conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

professore wrote: »

If that's post of 2015 I'm outta here !

listermint wrote: »
    Hard to have a great day with your vehicle stuck in a fence id imagine. And repair bill over your head for poor road awareness in conditions.

It would b so enjoyable to watch you make a mistake when your driving sometime....

as for me. I don't dwell on things... vehicle is outside my house without much damage :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

It would b so enjoyable to watch you make a mistake when your driving sometime....

as for me. I don't dwell on things... vehicle is outside my house without much damage :)

Is it making a kinda wum wum wum noise?

Is it making a kinda wum wum wum noise?

Doubt it, the last time I checked the keys were on the counter top. :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement