Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's biggest sporting embarrassment?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

fryup wrote: »
    i don't really like any combat sports to be honest but at least martial arts and boxing promote some sort of discipline with its participants

but mma is just plain savagery and doesn't set a good example to young people

Aye but rugby is a gentlemen's sport, eye gouging,kicking opponents on the ground, two lads spearheading bod into the ground and breaking his neck.

Give over most sports have violence, at least mma controls it before someone gets seriously injured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

yipeeeee wrote: »
    Aye but rugby is a gentlemen's sport, eye gouging,kicking opponents on the ground, two lads spearheading bod into the ground and breaking his neck.

Give over most sports have violence, at least mma controls it before someone gets seriously injured.

Reading this post is like having my eyes gouged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Rou Keane acting like a spoiled child over Saipan, practice what you preach Roy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

I don't think much of it as a sport but it's the fans and participants that irk me. They are the very worst of societiey both in the states and here. Mcgregor is always quick tell people it's not just a short like boxing that he is a trained warrior and killer outside the ring. Knackers in tapout gear spoiling for a row.

Reading this post is like having my eyes gouged

Good one.

• Advertisement

Beaner1 wrote: »
    I don't think much of it as a sport but it's the fans and participants that irk me. They are the very worst of societiey both in the states and here. Mcgregor is always quick tell people it's not just a short like boxing that he is a trained warrior and killer outside the ring. Knackers in tapout gear spoiling for a row.
    Not much generalization going on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

that only happens in rare incidents not in every match and if anyone is caught they are cited & punished

..unlike in mma where extreme violence is promoted, *kicking someone in the head* *pinning someone to the ground and beating the head off them* i wouldn't even class it as a sport, glorified thuggery is all it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Breffnigolfer

People shushing in a Limerick pub as Ronan O Gara lined up a kick in Thomond Park one night was fairly cringe worthy.:confused:

On a serious note, Michelle Smith has to be up there.

Also, someone said it earlier but The Late Late Show hatchet job on David Walsh was pretty f!cking infuriating.

I was given David Walsh's "Seven Deadly Sins" book, his story about drug cheats, most notably Lance Armstrong. Walsh wallowed in the glory of his apostolic voyage against drugs yet his book contains a startling piece in support of a journalist currently on bail having been charged with child sexual abuse. All well and good being "innocent until proven guilty " but to write a piece in support of this man was an incredible act by Walsh. He fell so far in my estimation with that act I wouldn't ever buy anything from the man, ever again.

I was given David Walsh's "Seven Deadly Sins" book, his story about drug cheats, most notably Lance Armstrong. Walsh wallowed in the glory of his apostolic voyage against drugs yet his book contains a startling piece in support of a journalist currently on bail having been charged with child sexual abuse. All well and good being "innocent until proven guilty " but to write a piece in support of this man was an incredible act by Walsh. He fell so far in my estimation with that act I wouldn't ever buy anything from the man, ever again.

That's disappointing to hear.

This man. His final assertion is laughable now.

http://www.thescore.ie/jimmy-magee-michelle-smith-598073-Sep2012/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Minjor wrote: »
    What's more the England cricket captain is an Irishman.

Also, when the GAA was founded cricket was almost included as 1 of the games, rounders was included instead. Umpires in GAA are based on Cricket Umpires as well, even down to their white coats.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Matta Harri

I'd be the first to say that I haven't a clue about cage fighting/ MMA but I do find it very hard to watch two lads kicking the shîte out of each other. I don't understand how anyone finds it entertaining.

McGregor hasn't enamoured it to me either, he comes across as a tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Its not a national issue as such but I've never been to a paid admission GAA match since the Leinster SFC final of 2010. And I went to league as well as championship intercounty matches in the years previous (at least when college or work weren't glaring issues).

That day was an embarrassment to the GAA for all sorts of reasons, the conduct of the players and fans on both sides to make a rivalry more important than life or death. Never mind referees actually using their eyes and not awarding a goal even the umpires didn't want to flag or giving the right, I.e. red card to a certain Louth player who took out a Meath player near the end of the match.

I can never shake the image of a bunch of knuckledraggers that I saw that day. GAA disgraced itself as a sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

darced wrote: »

ya Brain O'Drisscoll was a fat dirty underhand player alright:rolleyes:
    darced wrote: »

and if anyone is caught they get punished, whereas in mma thuggery is promoted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Breffnigolfer

Clareman wrote: »
    Also, when the GAA was founded cricket was almost included as 1 of the games, rounders was included instead. Umpires in GAA are based on Cricket Umpires as well, even down to their white coats.

(Off topic) A little known fact is Camogie is not part of the GAA. (Now, back on topic)

Going by the last few pages Katie Taylor is a scummy barbaric violent individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Macavity. wrote: »
    Don't know any Irish Colchester or Reading fans myself.

Yeah, because neither team have enjoyed enough success to have Irish people follow them.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

Billy86 wrote: »
    Take a deep breath, scroll down a little bit from that post and you'll see as I said it was a typo. :)
    *big deep breath*

So you were only wrong once not twice.

Ok :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Its not a national issue as such but I've never been to a paid admission GAA match since the Leinster SFC final of 2010. And I went to league as well as championship intercounty matches in the years previous (at least when college or work weren't glaring issues).

That day was an embarrassment to the GAA for all sorts of reasons, the conduct of the players and fans on both sides to make a rivalry more important than life or death. Never mind referees actually using their eyes and not awarding a goal even the umpires didn't want to flag or giving the right, I.e. red card to a certain Louth player who took out a Meath player near the end of the match.

I can never shake the image of a bunch of knuckledraggers that I saw that day. GAA disgraced itself as a sport.

Yes the whole association should be written off because of a few gobsh1tes from Louth who couldn't control themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

If you apply the same moral judgement to every sport you would end up not watching anything.

I am not defending the GAA but such carry on goes on in all sports, you don't have to look too hard.

Soccer - hooliganism - conduct of FIFA
    Rugby - apartheid support - bloodgate
    Athletics - prevalent drug use

It's more of a reflection of society and its capability to corrupt.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

And nothing has been done against poor refereeing since or for that matter about the cheating of the Meath player. All the focus was on the thuggery of some of the Louth supporters.
    Gaa head in the sand stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

And nothing has been done against poor refereeing since or for that matter about the cheating of the Meath player. All the focus was on the thuggery of some of the Louth supporters.
    Gaa head in the sand stuff.

What could they have done? Nullifying the result would have opened a massive can of worms and set a terrible precedent. It'd be a return to the 1890s for the GAA, where every match was replayed several times because teams demanded replays for every possible reason.

What did FIFA do about Henry cheating? Did they punish him or France? No, they deflected the subject by focusing on John Delany's ridiculous request. Does that count as FIFA head in the sand stuff, or does that only apply to the GAA?

Hawkeye would count as something they've done since about poor refereeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

The whole bandwagon jumping on the special Olympics thing was disgusting.
    Heads of state shamelessly patronizing the
    athletes.

Sure they were all on performance enhancing hugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Dempsey wrote: »
    I prefer Boxing but I've an awful respect for MMA fighters but that statement is not a fact

I'm not a massive fan of either sport (will watch casually from time to time though), but I would imagine that UFC has more general injuries because more fighters look to work the entire body whereas boxing would have more brain injuries because of the importance of getting head shots in for a lot of boxers. Like I said that's just my assumption, but if true it's better to have guys with broken down bodies than broken down brains on their retirement. As an NFL fan, the amount of information (and tragic incidents) that havee come out on brain injuries in recent years is nothing short of petrifying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Stojkovic wrote: »
    *big deep breath*

So you were only wrong once not twice.

Ok :)
    Yep, as I said before I overlooked it since I was all of one/two years old during the '88 Euros.

Doesn't exactly make a world of difference to the overall point I was making... 1 first place finish in 34 WC/EC qualifying groups vs. 5 in the last 34 five/six nations championships.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Leinster under Matt O'Connor :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

The rugby team's loss to Wales a few years back after beating Australia in the pool stages, has to rank up there, not the golden generation's finest hour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

While not the most embarrassing, making GAA players play in hot pants is pretty bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

While not the most embarrassing, making GAA players play in hot pants is pretty bad.

Nobody MAKES us wear them. They just make us feel pretty.

Advertisement