Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christians most persecuted and discriminated against worldwide

Options
  • 23-12-2014 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭

Given the time of year and the anti islam talk I think its important to remember that theres plenty of anti christian sentiment around the world too.There seems to be plenty of "Anti" any religion as long as its not ours,all over.
    People seem to be becoming religiously more hardline/polarised all over :(
    This year has seen more global persecution of Christians than any other in recent history. According to the International Society for Human Rights, a secular group with members in 38 states worldwide, 80 per cent of all acts of religious discrimination today are directed at Christians.
    Last month Britain’s Prince Charles said it was “an indescribable tragedy that Christianity is now under such threat in the Middle East, an area where Christians have lived for 2,000 years and across which Islam spread in 700 AD, with people of different faiths living together peaceably for centuries”.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/christians-most-persecuted-and-discriminated-against-worldwide-1.2046934

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Please....no....just no.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Here on boards we don't like to hear about this kind of discrimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,631 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Throw them to the lions! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,514 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Ban all religions, problem solved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

If you believe in a flying spaghetti monster, quite frankly, you deserve to be persecuted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Would no one think of the athiests? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,585 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Well they can just forgive them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Anything to be said for an inquisition into the causes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

I thought I had seen a lot of ichthys drawn around the place lately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭NoMore MrNiceGuy

nullzero wrote: »
    Ban all religions, problem solved.

The implementation of the banning of all religions is left as an exercise for the reader I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭AboutaWeekAgo

mad muffin wrote: »
    Would no one think of the athiests? :(

They do enough talking about themselves, everyone else just kind of leaves them to it :pac:

If you believe in a flying spaghetti monster, quite frankly, you deserve to be persecuted.

I think this is why new atheists are hated. Btw christians in the Middle East tend to be more secular than muslims and were the major supporters of secularizations -- for obvious reasons -- and declaring themselves atheists might not help their cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

Perhaps you can volunteer to stoke to ovens when the next round of religious persecution comes around in Europe?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,553 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

This thread reminds me of the emergent groups in the US campaigning for the rights of white men.
    Ffs.
    http://news.mensactivism.org

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    This thread reminds me of the emergent groups in the US campaigning for the rights of white men.
    Ffs.

Jesus wept.

So the destruction of a powerless minority in the middle East is to be sneered at? I presume you think that campaigning for the rights of white men is not necessary? Do you really think that is true of Christianity in the middle East.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Ffs.

I dont quite get the connection?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭GalwayGuitar

Ffs.

So you think Christians aren't being persecuted in parts of the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭danrua01

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Anything to be said for an inquisition into the causes?

Wouldn't they expect that?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭GalwayGuitar

Tell that to the Jews.

Jesus wept. The sheer stupidity of the sneering in this thread at what's effecitvely a genocide is beyond belief.

Genocides are ok as long as the people being genocided are a subset of a religion you don't like.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,553 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So you think Christians aren't being persecuted in parts of the world?

You'll find most religions are persecuting each other all over the place throughout history.
    And the IS persecution of Christians isn't limited to that, they are also butchering anyone that didn't follow their brand of fundamentalist Islam, hence why Iran is fighting them too.

And if people don't get the connection between my post and the thread, I'll spell it out with easy to understand words.

The groups with the power and influence will always seek to make themselves the underdog, particularly when the jig is up and we can see the undue influence they've had in history and the damage done, so I'd true for white men and Christian Europe.
    Rather than spreading enlightenment they have spread misery and sponsored race and class warfare.
    Their time is up.

That said, persecution of any kind against a defenceless minority is wrong and should be stamped out.

But this type of Christians have it tough statement is to defend not those poor souls but the type of Christian conservative nonsense coming from the US and the UK, also an agenda pushed by the likes of Le Pen and her UK counterparts in UKIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭ireland.man

Muslims are being persecuted in Burma, Christians in Syria, anti-Semitism is still strong in many countries, etc, etc. The only way to approach all those cases of persecution is through a standard framework which applies the concept of human rights equally.

What CiDeRmAn alluded to above (I assume) is that the groups complaining about the persecution of Christians tend not to be as concerned with the persecution of Jewish people, or Muslims, and vice versa. They don't employ an overarching framework for dealing with all types of injustice.

For example, how many people who bemoan the deaths of Christians in Nigeria will actually oppose significantly increasing the numbers of Nigerian asylum seekers Ireland takes in every year?

How many people use post comments about Christian persecution will do so in order to denigrate the experiences of Muslims and to dismiss Islamophobia as a problem in the West?

North Korea has a terrible number of people on death row for simply being Christians yet in this thread we're going to hear far more about Muslims than athiests, communists, Juche fanatics, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Genocides are ok as long as the people being genocided are a subset of a religion you don't like.

As ex Christians themselves they don't realise that they'd be the first up against the wall. Try explaining your atheism to an ISIS member.

You'll find most religions are persecuting each other all over the place throughout history.
    And the IS persecution of Christians isn't limited to that, they are also butchering anyone that didn't follow their brand of fundamentalist Islam, hence why Iran is fighting them too.

And if people don't get the connection between my post and the thread, I'll spell it out with easy to understand words.

The groups with the power and influence will always seek to make themselves the underdog, particularly when the jig is up and we can see the undue influence they've had in history and the damage done, so I'd true for white men and Christian Europe.
    Rather than spreading enlightenment they have spread misery and sponsored race and class warfare.
    Their time is up.

That said, persecution of any kind against a defenceless minority is wrong and should be stamped out.

But this type of Christians have it tough statement is to defend not those poor souls but the type of Christian conservative nonsense coming from the US and the UK, also an agenda pushed by the likes of Le Pen and her UK counterparts in UKIP.

WTF Are you talking about? Are you so utterly uneducated as to think that christianity has been a dominent force in the middle East?

Christians are, in the middle East, an indigenous pre-Arab historically oppressed ethic and ethno-religious group. Similar to catholics in penal law ireland or jews in Europe.

The accusations of privilege to them is historical nonsense, and moral imbecility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭ireland.man

Exactly! It boggles my mind to meet people who think one genocide is terrible but another isn't simply because the religions are different.

Unfortunately I've watched videos of Muslims being tortured and burnt to death by Buddhist and being hacked by Hindu extremists and so I have those images imprinted on my mind. Anyone would would talk about Christian persecution but then take a less compassionate view of Islamophobia needs to open up theirs minds a little.

Muslims are being persecuted in Burma, Christians in Syria, anti-Semitism is still strong in many countries, etc, etc. The only way to approach all those cases of persecution is through a standard framework which applies the concept of human rights equally.

What CiDeRmAn alluded to above (I assume) is that the groups complaining about the persecution of Christians tend not to be as concerned with the persecution of Jewish people, or Muslims, and vice versa. They don't employ an overarching framework for dealing with all types of injustice.

For example, how many people who bemoan the deaths of Christians in Nigeria will actually oppose significantly increasing the numbers of Nigerian asylum seekers Ireland takes in every year?

How many people use post comments about Christian persecution will do so in order to denigrate the experiences of Muslims and to dismiss Islamophobia as a problem in the West?

North Korea has a terrible number of people on death row for simply being Christians yet in this thread we're going to hear far more about Muslims than athiests, communists, Juche fanatics, etc.

How about we ignore all your straw men arguments until people engage in them and worry about the actual theme of the thread. I woukd have thought the persecution of a minority would have elicited sympathy not sneering.

CiDeRmAn Seems to think the Christians in the middle East are white males in Alabama whining about a reduction in privilege. This is not exactly true and you thanked him.

• Advertisement

Exactly! It boggles my mind to meet people who think one genocide is terrible but another isn't simply because the religions are different.

Unfortunately I've watched videos of Muslims being tortured and burnt to death by Buddhist and being hacked by Hindu extremists and so I have those images imprinted on my mind. Anyone would would talk about Christian persecution but then take a less compassionate view of Islamophobia needs to open up theirs minds a little.

That's whataboutary. And this thread is about persecution of Christians in the Middle East. Your response was insane.

Advertisement