Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fingal / North Dublin Transport Study

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,552 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

If DART Underground and Clongriffin Spur were in place you would take the train from Galway to Heuston and then go directly on the DART from Heuston to Dublin Airport with no further changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Bray Head

lxflyer wrote: »
    If DART Underground and Clongriffin Spur were in place you would take the train from Galway to Heuston and then go directly on the DART from Heuston to Dublin Airport with no further changes.

Agreed. But not every DART will go to the Airport. Presumably some will still go to Malahide and Howth.

Citylink can do Galway city to Dublin Airport in 2.5 hours off-peak. This will never be trumped by a rail solution.

I agree there is rationale for DU. But connecting Dublin Airport with the rest of the country is not part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,552 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Bray Head wrote: »
    Agreed. But not every DART will go to the Airport. Presumably some will still go to Malahide and Howth.

Citylink can do Galway city to Dublin Airport in 2.5 hours off-peak. This will never be trumped by a rail solution.

I agree there is rationale for DU. But connecting Dublin Airport with the rest of the country is not part of it.

The likelihood would be that Howth would be a branch shuttle if this happened, so DART would split between the Airport and the Northern Line.

As with everyone else you are focussing on speed and also getting from the city centre to the airport, and only looking at airport customers.

What about the fact that people from the North East of Dublin who work at the airport would have a direct service as well - people seem to perpetually ignore the fact that thousands of people actually work at the airport and their transport needs have been largely ignored.

And I don't think that people going to the airport from long distances are going to be that focussed on the time taken necessarily - it boils down to personal choice and convenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I know we can all think big but in practice networks are built in small, incremental steps.

Inter-city electrification has been debated here for a long time. Basically the costs don't stack up short of a massive increase in urban populations or a huge fall in the cost of the technology.

But staying on the hypotheticals, supposing I'm coming from Galway with final destination Dublin Airport. Assume that Metro North, DART Underground and Clongriffin Spur are all in place. Do I a) change at Stephen's Green and take a metro that runs 10 times an hour; b) stay on the train and have one or possibly two changes via a circuitous route to get to Dublin Airport? Metro wins every time from a frequency and journey time perspective. It also serves a large chunk of densely populated city that isn't well served by public transport.

The report is very good at looking at the heavy rail options and they really don't shine.

I would propose that electric trains could use a heavy rail spur from clongriffin and travel direct to the airport, perhaps stopping at Pearse and stephen's green. Of course that may not be possible with high frequency dart sharing the track space. But IE thinks its possible anyway. IE also plan to electrify the 3 main intercity lines by 2030, provided they get the funding. Well be due new train sets at that stage anyway, so the additional cost of rolling stock will be marginal taking into account less ware on track and better speed/reliability.

As with everyone else you are focussing on speed and also getting from the city centre to the airport, and only looking at airport customers.

What about the fact that people from the North East of Dublin who work at the airport would have a direct service as well - people seem to perpetually ignore the fact that thousands of people actually work at the airport and their transport needs have been largely ignored.

The report is quite interesting on this. It says that all the heavy rail options around North Dublin have much lower catchment than other options. This is because most of them would run through empty fields. Most of these fields will never be developed on either as they are on flight paths.
    And I don't think that people going to the airport from long distances are going to be that focussed on the time taken necessarily - it boils down to personal choice and convenience.

Maybe not for you personally, but selection and design of any public transport investment project should have journey time as part of the assessment criteria.

I just don't see the Clongriffin spur adding much value compared to the alternatives, despite its much lower price.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I just don't see the Clongriffin spur adding much value compared to the alternatives, despite its much lower price.

It also has the benefit of being easy to build, and could be built quickly, and would integrate into the existing Dart structure. It also could be integrated into the DU project if/when that happens.

It is a few Kms of electrified dual rail across green fields.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I'm only getting around to this thread now, as I have just finished reading the NTA's document. I won't comment here at length as I will put my thoughts in a more coherent form privately to submit as part of the public consultation, WHICH I URGE EVERYBODY ELSE TO DO TOO!

My main gripe with the document is the focus on connecting Swords, the Airport, and the City Centre, as laid out in the introductory pages. This in and of itself is fine, of course. It's a radial corridor, and there is political impetus to improve travel speeds between Swords and Central Dublin. Fair enough. It's convenient that the Airport sits between the two. Great -- three major destinations.

However, and here is where I have a problem with ranking/rating of each of the couple dozen proposals -- Dublin Airport is a HUGE national piece of strategic infrastructure. I could probably phrase that better. Dublin Airport is the ~25th busiest airport in the world. It's the most important entry and exit point on the entire island. People land/take-off from the Airport, but they also need to get to/from there. The rating criteria mention nothing about the national (even international?) importance of the airport. It's all about speed to/from Swords.

Would it have killed AECOM to investigate how the transport proposals would improve airport accessibility for the entire country? I realise that the scope outlined by the NTA probably did not consider that. But honestly -- any scoping that includes the airport as a specific (along with Swords and Central Dublin) destination but fails to recognise that people access the airport from all over the country is a failure from the get go, imo.

Neither Belfast nor Cork are mentioned in the document. I don't think it is beyond the realms of reason to assume that any heavy-rail proposal to Dublin Airport might at least venture the slightest mention of access from the next two biggest cities on the island.

Option HR8 is on the cards: This is a very interesting proposal as it contains a route that heretofore has not been publicly considered. I think this route could be improved upon if the Swords tail is connected to the main line at Donabate (let's call it "Optimised" Option HR8). It adds redundancy to the system should there be another Malahide Viaduct incident. It makes Swords/Airport directly accessible from the entire East Coast including Belfast. Even without modification, this route keeps a station at Ballymun (forever neglected) and DCU (major trip generator), and includes the possibility of a Cork-Interconnector-Airport route, which would revolutionise rail travel in the Capital region. With a link at Donabate, you could have Cork-Dublin-Airport-Belfast all on one seat. I don't think it's too much to say that, given our current situation, that would be nothing short of incredible.

Option HR2 connects Swords and the Airport to Central Dublin with that amazing dog-leg via Clongriffin. It's cheap, it's slow, and not worthwhile imo.

In the context of having to pick one of the six options, Option LR3 should be strangled immediately. Mainly at-grade Luas is a poor cousin of underground rail with fewer stations. There is poor Airport connectivity, and running time is slow. The only advantage is that it's cheap! Cheap in every sense, imo, compared to the other options.

Option LR7 ("Optimised" Metro North) could work out as more expensive than the heavy rail option. It also has a couple of stations in fields around the M50. It does have Central Dublin penetration, which is good, but crucially (and as has always been a weak point of MN) there is still no indication of what is likely to happen south of St Stephen's Green. Imo, at this stage, any Metro ("Luas Underground") option that does not address what is to happen south of SSG is a cop-out. I wish somebody in the NTA would just admit that if MN goes ahead, its future direction will be down the N11/dualler to UCD/Stillorgan. Which wouldn't be bad, but is way beyond the scope of this document, or indeed this thread. Given the potential of Option HR8, I don't think Optimised MN should go ahead.

I don't want to comment too much on Option BRT5. The current BRT consultation has left a sour taste in my mouth, and judging by the plans provided for the Swords BRT, I would have much hope that BRT5 would be rolled out in a manner that would fulfil the aspirations of this report.

Given my misgivings about Option LR3, I also rule out Option C1.

In case I haven't been clear, I support Option HR8 out of the six put for consultation. I furthermore suggest that it include a connection to Donabate. It's the only option that can address the national importance of Dublin Airport in terms of direct rail accessibility. It could potentially reduce congestion on the Northern Line. If there is a "triangle" interchange at Liffey Junction, it could also direct trains down the Phoenix Park Tunnel, but maybe I'm getting ahead of myself here.

Aard wrote: »

My main gripe with the document is the focus on connecting Swords, the Airport, and the City Centre, as laid out in the introductory pages. This in and of itself is fine, of course. It's a radial corridor, and there is political impetus to improve travel speeds between Swords and Central Dublin. Fair enough. It's convenient that the Airport sits between the two. Great -- three major destinations.

However, and here is where I have a problem with ranking/rating of each of the couple dozen proposals -- Dublin Airport is a HUGE national piece of strategic infrastructure. I could probably phrase that better. Dublin Airport is the ~25th busiest airport in the world. It's the most important entry and exit point on the entire island. People land/take-off from the Airport, but they also need to get to/from there. The rating criteria mention nothing about the national (even international?) importance of the airport. It's all about speed to/from Swords.

Would it have killed AECOM to investigate how the transport proposals would improve airport accessibility for the entire country? I realise that the scope outlined by the NTA probably did not consider that. But honestly -- any scoping that includes the airport as a specific (along with Swords and Central Dublin) destination but fails to recognise that people access the airport from all over the country is a failure from the get go, imo.

Neither Belfast nor Cork are mentioned in the document. I don't think it is beyond the realms of reason to assume that any heavy-rail proposal to Dublin Airport might at least venture the slightest mention of access from the next two biggest cities on the island.

This is a very good point. I'm just not sure that it's relevant. Since the late 1990s a huge inter-urban road network has been put in place. It so happens that Dublin airport is pretty much at the centre of it. I am open to correction but I cannot think of any other place on the island that has as many people within a one-, two- or three-hour driving time. Rail will always be competing against that.

Allied to this is the speed issue on the inter-city rail network in Ireland. I just don't think it will ever be cost effective to address this short of the population doubling. We just don't have enough >1m cities on the island. It is also an island, and we can't connect to other rail networks. Dublin Airport operates 16 hours a day for passengers. There's pretty much someone travelling to or from it all the time. No rail solution is going to get you from Cork for anything earlier than an 11am flight. And no landing later than 6pm would be guaranteed to get you home.

HR8 and optimised metro north are the two best solutions to come out of the report I agree. The issue is that MN works well if no other investment (ie DU) takes place, although DU would indeed be complementary too it. By contrast all of the heavy rail solutions need DU to really make them worth their while. There's no point in having a train take 15 minutes from Dublin Airport to just outside Connolly and then spend another 15 minutes just to get to Pearse. I've had too many delays on the Pearse-Connolly corridor over the years to believe the guff about signalling enhancements, etc.

In an ideal world I would build both MN and DU. But in reality I think we all know that they are competing for the same pot of money. And my vote would be MN.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

Metro North is the only sane solution. Everything else will be short-sighted and regretted almost immediately.

How are the other 5 options short sighted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

How are the other 5 options short sighted?
    Not enough capacity, travel comfort and too much interference with other modes of transport.

You think underground heavy rail is less comfortable than underground light rail? There are two heavy rail options. How would these interfere any more or less than Metro North? Have you read the entire document?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,087 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Unfortunately this new study is nothing more than a fudge to push decisions further down the road.

Metro North integrates well and is a fabulous stand alone project. Combined with DU as per that spoof job that was T21, none of us can say that Dublin wouldn't have a really credible rail based system. The plans were made and don't need changing. Anyone making a submission should think carefully. Any deviation from the MN solution will enable the state to waste 10 more years procrastinating. Leave MN as designed. Build both it and DU. I'd rather wait 10 more years to get these projects started rather than 10 more years bullsh1tt1ing around with reinventing the wheel in north Dublin.

This study is a complete and utter waste of time.

You think underground heavy rail is less comfortable than underground light rail? There are two heavy rail options. How would these interfere any more or less than Metro North? Have you read the entire document?

I like the heavy rail options. I really do. But the time to look at them was nearly 10 years ago, when they were suggested. I genuinely feel that they have been introduced now in an attempt to muddy the waters. MN has already had a lot of work done on it. The heavy rail options havent.

It also has the benefit of being easy to build, and could be built quickly, and would integrate into the existing Dart structure. It also could be integrated into the DU project if/when that happens.

It is a few Kms of electrified dual rail across green fields.

Waste of money. Its nothing more than an airport connection. MN is about so much more. Its a commuter project straight through the heart of north Dublin.

The non-airport elements of MN (save perhaps Swords) tend to get overlooked. For example, Ballymun and DCU connectivity, not to mention the potential of Drumcondra being enabled to emerge as a mini-CBD of the northside.

What do you think about "optimised" MN?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Waste of money. Its nothing more than an airport connection. MN is about so much more. Its a commuter project straight through the heart of north Dublin.

I am not suggesting the Clongriffin/Airport spur as instead of anything. It could integrate with MN and it would integrate with DU.

It is cheap and it would be quick to build. We do need an airport link.

I am not suggesting the Clongriffin/Airport spur as instead of anything. It could integrate with MN and it would integrate with DU.

It is cheap and it would be quick to build. We do need an airport link.

If MN is built, we don't need this DART spur and we don't need to be spending anything on an airport link that does nothing else for rail transport apart from connecting an airport.

The non-airport elements of MN (save perhaps Swords) tend to get overlooked. For example, Ballymun and DCU connectivity, not to mention the potential of Drumcondra being enabled to emerge as a mini-CBD of the northside.

What do you think about "optimised" MN?

I could live with less stops, but not smaller stations or more "at grade" running. So for me, it's a no no. For nearly 40 years this country has accepted "compromise" and then a failure to deliver anything.

The original routing of MN didn't even consider integration with the Maynooth line. It was more concerned with serving a vacant Smurfit site in Glasnevin until non vested interests shouted stop. MN as now designed is the way forward. At grade through Ballymun, for example, is a seriously bad idea that was highlighted years ago. So much "public" consultation has already gone into this, we don't need any more. MN as designed is a no brainer. Do we really need a re-run of how the DART plan was eventually rolled out? No we don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I'd take the at grade in Ballymun as long as it is fully grade separated at all road junctions. I would also take fewer stops (initially) but NOT in the tunneled sections where adding stations is going to be prohibitively expensive.

The ironic thing is that MN hits so many large trip generators and is a pretty straight route as designed. We should consider ourselves lucky!

• Advertisement

Grandeeod wrote: »
    If MN is built, we don't need this DART spur and we don't need to be spending anything on an airport link that does nothing else for rail transport apart from connecting an airport.

Heathrow was connected to London by the Piccadilly line - all stops to Cockfosters. It was nearly an hour to central London (Piccadilly) by the tiny tube train - no room for suitcases and usually packed with commuters.

Then they built the Paddington link.

I can't see Airport to Stephen's Green by Dart via Clongriffin being faster than MN. I don't think it's comparable with Heathrow Connect/Express in terms of time savings over the tube.

I can't see Airport to Stephen's Green by Dart via Clongriffin being faster than MN. I don't think it's comparable with Heathrow Connect/Express in terms of time savings over the tube.

It would take 7 mins to get to Clongriffin and then another 10 mins to get to Connolly non-stop. Obviously, traffic is a problem on the northern line, but a 30 min service with a travel time of less than 20 min would be brilliant. With DU, it of course could be integrated into the service, but until DU is built, it still would provide a useful and vital link.

Assuming the capacity issues on the Northern line could be addressed (suddenly the simple line across green fields doesn't seem so cheap) I'm not sure the Heathrow Express analogy is apt.

It would take 7 mins to get to Clongriffin and then another 10 mins to get to Connolly non-stop. Obviously, traffic is a problem on the northern line, but a 30 min service with a travel time of less than 20 min would be brilliant. With DU, it of course could be integrated into the service, but until DU is built, it still would provide a useful and vital link.
    Even if these numbers are achievable and without quad tracking the Northern Line I think they won't be (at least not reliably so) you are looking at 17 mins to Connolly versus 27 minutes to St. Stephen's Green (last time I looked) on MN. That would be about 24 minutes to O'Connell Street. It's just not worth the money when there are so many other holes in the rail network that need filling. At some later point in time I believe the airport should be linked up to the DART network, possibly as part of a new route like Airport-Bray or whatever. It should come some day but not before MN because it isn't cheap enough not to make a big dent in the capital budget and really not before several other Luas extensions and quad tracking of the Northern Line.

MN obviously makes a huge dent in that budget, but the bang for buck is so much greater.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

That just isn't possible with the Northern line the way it is. You'd get stuck behind another train. Besides the service would be infrequent because of capacity constraints and it only serves the Airport.

I accept all of that, but it is cheap enough to be done now. MN will take a long number of years to construct, if it is funded. MN is important, and so is DU, but both are a decade away at the earliest. Look at how long the Luas took to arrive, but the spur could be constructed quickly.

Remember the little bypass that was built on the cheap for Kinnegad before the motorway was built - it was a fantastic success because it cut out a dreadful bottleneck for very little money and quickly.

Although quad lines on the Northern Line would be nice, could a third rail be put in?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

At the very least there should be a well legislated protected route for any future spur from Clongriffin to the airport.

A lot of that land will no doubt be rezoned in the next decade or so.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    At the very least there should be a well legislated protected route for any future spur from Clongriffin to the airport.

A lot of that land will no doubt be rezoned in the next decade or so.
    Luckily the alignment would run directly under the flight path, which is protected and nobody with any sense would want to live under it anyway.

• Advertisement

murphaph wrote: »
    Luckily the alignment would run directly under the flight path, which is protected and nobody with any sense would want to live under it anyway.

Probably one of the few areas in Dublin where houses weren't built! In saying that I live on a flight path with arrivals only 500 feet above me. Hounslow near Heathrow isn't much better with far more traffic.

Advertisement