Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Gaming, General & Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,316 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Billy86 wrote: »
    I'm after ordering a new laptop over the weekend since my old one broke down a few weeks ago, kind of curious what games it should be able to handle - Intel i5 4200M 2.5GHz (3.1ghz turbo), Intel 4600 HD graphics, 8GB ram.

you'll actually be surprised what it will be able to play as I played the last Batman game on low settings with no problem on a 4400 HD and it still looked lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

Got a gtx 970 evga sc and have down sampled all my games 1440p. Everything looks amazing and lag free. I had a 770 2g and noticed the vram was bottleneck at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Picked up a second hand GTX 580. 1.5 GB DDR5. Picked it up as I have a first gen i7 and also my motherboard is PCIe 2.0 which this card is. According to this site it is in the top 25 cards around at the min. Not bad I suppose. Just checked the posters above card. Damn that a good card you got.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

Picked up a second hand GTX 580. 1.5 GB DDR5. Picked it up as I have a first gen i7 and also my motherboard is PCIe 2.0 which this card is. According to this site it is in the top 25 cards around at the min. Not bad I suppose. Just checked the posters above card. Damn that a good card you got.

Just to let you know, a PCIe 3.0 card will work on your PCIe 2.0 motherboard with very little if not no performance decrease. You usually have to SLI or Crossfire to get an advantage out of PCIe 3.0.

Damn hope this is not true. Red dead redemption 2 not coming to PC. I only just got into PC gaming, so I am not going top fork out money for a console just to play one game. Did the original ever come to PC?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Damn hope this is not true. Red dead redemption 2 not coming to PC. I only just got into PC gaming, so I am not going top fork out money for a console just to play one game. Did the original ever come to PC?

It never came to PC unfortunately. Hopefully, the sequel makes it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Meh, the odd game missing from the PC library doesn't bother me too much. Remember guys, there's more games on Steam than there is of EVERY GAME from EVERY PLATFORM from current and previous genarations combined :) So it more than makes up for its loss :D

CJeu6xj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

10863940_819270101445778_1995842543146218526_o.jpg

Nearly there 2 more parcels, bitch wont let met touch it till xmas tho :(

Meh, the odd game missing from the PC library doesn't bother me too much. Remember guys, there's more games on Steam than there is of EVERY GAME from EVERY PLATFORM from current and previous genarations combined :) So it more than makes up for its loss :D

CJeu6xj.jpg

Yea but most games on steam are old and I'm not really into those.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Was considering upgrading my GTX 680 SC card to a GTX 970 but I think I'll hold off till 6GB cards become available. Seems VRAM will be Achilles heal of games designed with the current generation of console architecture in mind.

For now I'll just pair back my settings somewhat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

Azza wrote: »
    Was considering upgrading my GTX 680 SC card to a GTX 970 but I think I'll hold off till 6GB cards become available. Seems VRAM will be Achilles heal of games designed with the current generation of console architecture in mind.

For now I'll just pair back my settings somewhat.

I was thinking that too but I just thought nothing will ever be good enough to keep up with gaming demand so I went with the 970 4GB. I reckon it will be good for at least 3-4 years and that will be just my Gaming Backlog not to mention new games!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,316 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Steam are looking to curtail us from buying cheap keys and Steam gifts in future

http://www.engadget.com/2014/12/17/steam-region-locking/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Skerries wrote: »
    Steam are looking to curtail us from buying cheap keys and Steam gifts in future

Wasn't that the case already though? Pretty sure most games had seperate Russian and EU versions in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Skerries wrote: »

I think I'm ok with this.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I mainly used that as a way of getting games cheap that I was unsure about. It was pretty much 'get it cheap or don't get my patronage at all'.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I hope they get the same flak for this as EA or Ubisoft would. They take the absolute piss with their pricing, and the 1$=1€ is a joke. I pretty much refuse to buy games from them, as they are always the most expensive place to get games.

I suppose it was only a matter of time though. Getting brand new releases for €25 is pretty crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Kiith wrote: »
    I hope they get the same flak for this as EA or Ubisoft would. They take the absolute piss with their pricing, and the 1$=1€ is a joke. I pretty much refuse to buy games from them, as they are always the most expensive place to get games.

I suppose it was only a matter of time though. Getting brand new releases for €25 is pretty crazy.
    There's piss taking in both scenarios which are completely unrelated though.

Their conversion rates are pretty much indefensible, even when you factor in the VAT differences that folks so frequently forget about. If people want to lobby for something then they should most certainly start there. I've always been surprised why it hasn't happened before or, if it has, why they haven't been more vocal about it.

Region locking wise in the face of people's purchasing habits though? Yup, pretty much called it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

marco_polo wrote: »
    Wasn't that the case already though? Pretty sure most games had seperate Russian and EU versions in recent years.

You're right. I don't know how this news is any different to what the current state of affairs has always been. Keys have always had either a region lock they are globally unlocked. Unless steam are going to start region lock per country (i.e Irish only region locked keys)

I only ever buy EU Region or Global keys from the likes of G2A or Kinguin from reliable sellers anyway. While the Russian keys are cheaper, the keys that are EU restricted or globally unlocked can still go cheap on these sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭McSasquatch II

This isn't about key resellers. It's about games bought on the various international Steam stores. Anyway, only a small minority of games were region locked before this move. I'm sure lots of "traders" on steamtrades.com etc will be unhappy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,834 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Will it affect games we currently have, if bought from one of those resellers? And can we still purchase from the likes of amazon.com?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Will it affect games we currently have, if bought from one of those resellers? And can we still purchase from the likes of amazon.com?

I think this is mainly in response to the rouble crashing so I'd doubt it would affect current games. It'd be a pretty crappy move if it did as well. Amazon.com should be safe for now, this seems it's aimed at Russian and Brazilian keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭TheGunns

I'm having problems with getting my mouse to display in games, all of the solutions online don't seem to work :(
    Cursor disappears in windowed and full screen but is fine when using windows, anyone had this before?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

umm, is that not normal/by design? as the mouse is used by the game (typically), if it 'breaks out' of the game window and you click, you deselect the game, and now longer send any keystrokes etc to it

I play windowed a lot, and have youtube, or xbmc playing series' etc on other monitor, but I need to alt+tab, to break the cursor out of the game, so I can interact - else you'll just have a pretty wonky/terribad game experience

also, having the windows cursor overlayed on top of the games skinned cursor (or worse, the reticle in an fps :o ) would also be err, less then ideal

Should have been more clear :D The cursor in game doesn't display but is still there. The cursor is invisible in games. Not sure if that explains it well :o

what games are we talkin here? like, theres supposed to be a cursor there, its just not showing? bit of an issue alright!

Football manager so there should be one and it is acting like the is one as I can click but I can't see where I'm clicking

this on steam? can try verifying cache, see if that helps (rclick game in library, properties, local files tab, verify integrity of game cache)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

So i'm trying to decide what monitor setup to use at my desk. I'm currently split between 2 24" (regular 1080p) screens, or one 27" (IPS 2560x1440) screen. I would occasionally alt tab to do other things on my current setup, but i'm not sure i use it enough to get the 2nd screen. Is the dual monitor setup better for gaming? Also, would 27" be too big when sitting right in front of the screen?

I'm limited in my choices at the moment, as i'm using a €200 one2all voucher to buy the screen (as well as cash to reach the price). Might try pawn it on adverts, and buy something online instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Kiith wrote: »
    So i'm trying to decide what monitor setup to use at my desk. I'm currently split between 2 24" (regular 1080p) screens, or one 27" (IPS 2560x1440) screen. I would occasionally alt tab to do other things on my current setup, but i'm not sure i use it enough to get the 2nd screen. Is the dual monitor setup better for gaming? Also, would 27" be too big when sitting right in front of the screen?

I'm limited in my choices at the moment, as i'm using a €200 one2all voucher to buy the screen (as well as cash to reach the price). Might try pawn it on adverts, and buy something online instead.

With dual monitors you will realistically only be able to game on one, as the crosshairs and generally the important bits will be right on the screen divides, if this was your intention.

The 27" are great but obviously take a bit more GPU grunt to run the same settings you would on a single 1080p monitor

There are also the 29" super wide monitors - 2560 x 1080 which can be a bit cheaper sometimes than the 27". A lot of space saving over the dual monitor setup aswell as not needing quite as much gpu grunt to run as the 27"

Advertisement